Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corrected Hsss shoulders with photos...not much difference IMO.

Corrected Hsss shoulders with photos...not much difference IMO.

Well, I tore apart an extra Hsss and fixed him....wish I hadn't. As you can see from the photos below, the scales only line up in ONE POSITION (photo 1), same as the reversed shoulders, and look just as awkward in any other position (photos 2-3). Also, the corrected right arm actually LOST some range of movement, because of the overlapping scales now bump into each other (photos 4-6).
    Bottom line, reversed or not, it's pretty much cosmetically and functionally insignificant, IMO.

SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

That looks a million times better. Good job!

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Cool, that appeased

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Looks tons better, great job!

I can't wait for mine to get here, so I can correct him. Glad that so many .org-ers have had success in repairing this latest helping of Mattel's slop.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    Looks tons better, great job!

I can't wait for mine to get here, so I can correct him. Glad that so many .org-ers have had success in repairing this latest helping of Mattel's slop.
    BC, I think you missed the point...it DOESN'T look tons better. It still only lines up in ONE position, just like the reversed shoulders. If the arm is in any other pose, it looks the same either way, and the right arm is actually LESS articulated now than with the reversed shoulder.

Thanks for the info! Won't bother trying to swap mine out... and I too was just going to say, people are kinda missing the point... only seeing the photos and not reading the text.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    BC, I think you missed the point...it DOESN'T look tons better. It still only lines up in ONE position, just like the reversed shoulders. If the arm is in any other pose, it looks the same either way, and the right arm is actually LESS articulated now than with the reversed shoulder.
    I got your point, but from everyone else's response I thought I was missing something here. Basically it's really not worth the effort to fix it I gathered. I was planning on doing the fix, but I am no customizer. I am nervous I would crack the torso open only to break the darn thing.

If others think it looks better from the pics you posted, why deny them?

Leader of the Evil Horde Hordak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogster View Post
    I got your point, but from everyone else's response I thought I was missing something here. Basically it's really not worth the effort to fix it I gathered. I was planning on doing the fix, but I am no customizer. I am nervous I would crack the torso open only to break the darn thing.
    My thoughts exactly. I am glad this was posted because I also wondered if articulation would change. I assumed it would be better when corrected but that does not seem to be the case. I'm going to leave mine as is thanks to this post.
    "I summon forth the portal to the terrible dimension of Despondos!"

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    Thanks for posting this! It does bring up a good counter point.
    My MOTUC top wants (POST NYCC 2014):

Filmation:Twiggets - Red Knight - Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Dylamug - Vultak - Enchantress - Kothos - General Tataran - Evil Seed (Filmation artichoke) - Masque - Sybiline (with a pack-in Gorgon) - Melaktha
    Others: Despara - toy version of Catra - Veena - Master Sebrian - Drissi - Caz - Andros - Sorceress (NA comics version)- Kex Queen - Lodar

I'm not changing a thing on mine. I too am afraid I'll break him. Besides, it's really a minute detail flaw just like Roboto.

Filmation She-Ra Forever! AlessandraF's Avatar
    Are you joking? I'm seeing a lot of differences between before and after!
    "One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them,
    One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them..."

I'm supporting Power and Honour Foundation!
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

………… ________
    ……… / | \\___
    …… /........|-.... |.…..... o\
    ……… (@)-----------(@)-΄

Oh, I understood you completely.

I was being ironic. You see, I know that this thread is looking for agreement that there's no difference and I couldn't disagree more.

I don't play with or pose my figures. They're displayed, and the way that I display them, Hsss will look better with scales that line up and without a big gap between the anterior delt and bicep.
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

If you didn't want people to like it, you shouldn't have done such an amazing job.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    If you didn't want people to like it, you shouldn't have done such an amazing job.
    Word.

Except it looks like he cut the armor on the backside instead of slipping it off like shown in the tutorial... That's a bit of an eyesore.

Word.

Except it looks like he cut the armor on the backside instead of slipping it off like shown in the tutorial... That's a bit of an eyesore.
    The armor on mine was glued to the torso. Somebody got a little crazy with the superglue I guess. You'll also notice that the belt is shattered in two places on the back of the figure.

I purposely didn't mention it just to see how many would notice...so far, nobody did.

See how EASY being a QC inspector is?

Well, I tore apart an extra Hsss and fixed him....wish I hadn't. As you can see from the photos below, the scales only line up in ONE POSITION (photo 1), same as the reversed shoulders, and look just as awkward in any other position (photos 2-3). Also, the corrected right arm actually LOST some range of movement, because of the overlapping scales now bump into each other (photos 4-6).
    Bottom line, reversed or not, it's pretty much cosmetically and functionally insignificant, IMO.
    If you corrected an extra Hiss, do you have an uncorrected Hiss too? Can you please post side-by-side comparison photos to back up your opinion that making a correction is cosmetically insignificant? Without seeing both corrected and uncorrected together how can you make an unbiased claim that there is not much difference?

The armor on mine was glued to the torso. Somebody got a little crazy with the superglue I guess. You'll also notice that the belt is shattered in two places on the back of the figure.

I purposely didn't mention it just to see how many would notice...so far, nobody did.

I did notice, but did not make a comment because that was not the point of your thread. Everyone has varying levels of repair/customization skills.
    The Portal to the Terrible Dimension of Despondos
    "Either a certified genius or an authentic whacko"

RATTLOR FOR MOTUC!

Expendable Vintage Cherry Picker

Sucks about the glue...hope that's not the case with mine.

As far as "I purposefully didn't mention it..." Um...I noticed it.

If you're referring to the belt, your hand is covering everything except the green paint bleed.

So, what's your point? Seems like QC only requires an educated eye, a brain and the ability to give a crap.

Edit: The last post I made was from my phone, and that belt looked like a bleed. I just looked at it on my laptop and its a glaring defect. I'm pretty sure anyone with eyeballs would have picked that one out!
    Last edited by Larry Waters; March 18, 2011 at 04:17pm.

I think it looks better minus the damage you did to the figure. Unfortunately, just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean everyone is going to agree with you.

Since you aren't manufacturing and selling these and it isn't a review of a soon to be released figure, most of us don't care about the damage you did to it, hence no QC.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Despondos View Post
    If you corrected an extra Hiss, do you have an uncorrected Hiss too? Can you please post side-by-side comparison photos to back up your opinion that making a correction is cosmetically insignificant? Without seeing both corrected and uncorrected together how can you make an unbiased claim that there is not much difference?.

I spent several hours playing around with the uncorrected one last night. I didn't need to have it in front of me to know there's hardly any difference. Also, there are plenty of photos of the reversed shoulders in the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    I think it looks better minus the damage you did to the figure. Unfortunately, just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean everyone is going to agree with you.

Since you aren't manufacturing and selling these and it isn't a review of a soon to be released figure, most of us don't care about the damage you did to it, hence no QC.
    Who said I did the damage? It was like that right out of the package.
    Last edited by Skeletortilla; March 18, 2011 at 04:06pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    I'd like to see the corrected/ incorrect figures displayed in the same poses as well!

You've got my gratitude because your experiment is really helping me decide what to do!
    My MOTUC top wants (POST NYCC 2014):

Filmation:Twiggets - Red Knight - Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Dylamug - Vultak - Enchantress - Kothos - General Tataran - Evil Seed (Filmation artichoke) - Masque - Sybiline (with a pack-in Gorgon) - Melaktha
    Others: Despara - toy version of Catra - Veena - Master Sebrian - Drissi - Caz - Andros - Sorceress (NA comics version)- Kex Queen - Lodar

I spent several hours playing around with the uncorrected one last night. I didn't need to have it in front of me to know there's hardly any difference. Also, there are plenty of photos of the reversed shoulders in the other thread.
    I appreciate the work you did to correct your Hiss and I understand there are other photos of uncorrected Hiss, but I believe it would greatly help this thread if you posted side-by-side photos for fans to make their own judgement.

Don't take my statement about varying levels of repair/customization skills as an offense because I personally have no skill whatsoever. I, like many others, am upset about Hiss' reversed shoulders. I too have considered attempting a repair, but if I were to see side-by-side photos and didn't personally see a big difference I might choose to accept my (soon-to-be-coming) Hiss as-is instead of potentially damaging or destroying it while trying to fix it.

If you truly believe there isn't much difference then a side-by-side comparison can only help your argument. There will be people who disagree, but there also may be people who do agree and are comforted that Hiss doesn't look so bad after all.

Thanks!
    The Portal to the Terrible Dimension of Despondos
    "Either a certified genius or an authentic whacko"

RATTLOR FOR MOTUC!

Expendable Vintage Cherry Picker

Who said I did the damage? It was like that right out of the package.
    My mistake. When you had said "You'll also notice that the belt is shattered in two places on the back of the figure." I thought you meant that the belt shattered when you took the torso apart.

If the cracks were there from the get-go along with the missing paint on the belt and the crazy amount of glue, I would ask for a replacement from Mattel.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Despondos View Post
    I appreciate the work you did to correct your Hiss and I understand there are other photos of uncorrected Hiss, but I believe it would greatly help this thread if you posted side-by-side photos for fans to make their own judgement.

Don't take my statement about varying levels of repair/customization skills as an offense because I personally have no skill whatsoever. I, like many others, am upset about Hiss' reversed shoulders. I too have considered attempting a repair, but if I were to see side-by-side photos and didn't personally see a big difference I might choose to accept my (soon-to-be-coming) Hiss as-is instead of potentially damaging or destroying it while trying to fix it.

If you truly believe there isn't much difference then a side-by-side comparison can only help your argument. There will be people who disagree, but there also may be people who do agree and are comforted that Hiss doesn't look so bad after all.

Thanks!
    It took me a great deal of time and effort to post what I did...just trying to help.
    Last edited by Skeletortilla; March 18, 2011 at 04:18pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Oh, I understood you completely.

I was being ironic. You see, I know that this thread is looking for agreement that there's no difference and I couldn't disagree more.

I don't play with or pose my figures. They're displayed, and the way that I display them, Hsss will look better with scales that line up and without a big gap between the anterior delt and bicep.
    I am like you in that the gap does bother me too. I also don't pose, and I display my figures only and want those scales to line up. Guys like He-Bro, Skeletortilla and SCB make it look easy in customizing. I am going to wait and see/read how your King Hsss surgery goes along with other fans to determine if I go all the way in swapping the shoulders out. I am so afraid of ruining my figure, and if I return it, I risk having my whole sub cancelled out like with what happened last year. Collecting this line shouldn't be so complicated.