Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Mattel at C2E2

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    And as usual, I guess Mattel's people disregarded the info as "Fan crazy talk"
    No the vibe I got was that they were fully aware of the issues but like Scott had already said they will just have to work harder to keep them from happening.

I got no vibe of negativity at all, the people Scott sent were very knowledgeable and pleasant. They did not say problems did not exist or try to act like we were crazy but they were not going to have a full blown interview about it either
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

That's good! Hopefully this is a small sign that things will change for the better...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    That's good! Hopefully this is a small sign that things will change for the better...
    Hopefully. Maybe if more people are aware of the mishaps, the less likely they will be to let them happen.

Toyguru should make sure more of his underlings are given the power to help.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    The worst part is that somebody will inevitably post angrily about how Toyguru didn't give us the reveal he "promised".

I think the point he was trying to make is that a 2-pack reveal being the news was plausible, not definate like some people end up acting.
    Personally, I'm not angry about this. (I don't think most folks are) Whether it was news on a new 2-Pack, or an existing one, my point is that we were expecting some news. That's what we were told to expect and we waited around for it. Moreover, it's slightly annoying to be quoted as if I'm supposed to take full responsibility. And yes, I know he said "people" - plural. But he could have made a statement without quoting me specifically.

I totally understand what both you and Horde08 are saying. I agree, yes, there was the possibility that it could've been something about the She-Ra or Zodac 2-Pack...but I can see why most of us came to the conclusion about a reveal, for all the aforementioned reasons in this thread, plus the fact that Toyguru never stepped in to clarify after he posted that and folks were speculating about a reveal. (that I'm aware of)

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I was anticipating the news that TRU decided to cancel the 2 packs and that Mattycollector.com would have those variants up as singles.

Well, that didn't come to pass.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    With all due respect to ToyGuru, I have to back up Big Country on this.

Even if Hordak wanted to have Adora believe that she was his "Step-Daughter," why would the bios (which are not meant to be from the perspective of any specific character, but are rather written in more of a general third-person omniscient point of view) state it in this manner as if it were the actual fact?

Not to mention that I would think the whole 'step-daughter' angle would potentially raise just as many, if not more questions than the 'adopted daughter' angle.

If she is his 'step-daughter', then he must have been married to/had a relationship with her mother, who in turn, at some point, was with Adora's real father prior to the mother ending up with Hordak. Wouldn't she wonder who her mother is and what happened to her? Wouldn't she question who her father is? Wouldn't she want to know the history of this, and wouldn't she expect Hordak to have at least some knowledge of it?

With the adoption angle, Hordak could simply say that she was abandoned by her real parents and that he never knew who they were. A very simple, clean explanation. There would be no expectation of their being any easily accessibly records or info as to who they are and where she can find them. And even if she did go looking for them, it's not really like she is going to find out about the real truth of her origins (being kidnapped from the king and queen of Eternia) on Etheria anyway. The only people on Etheria who even know who she really is would be Hordak and Shadow Weaver (if we go with something along the lines of the SOTS origins), and maybe anyone else of that level of importance within the Horde.

Adora would have no reason to suspect that she came from another world/dimension. As far as I can tell, at least up to the point prior to her becoming She-Ra, she wouldn't have known that much about traveling to other worlds, etc. So, she would likely logically assume that she is from Etheria originally, and since there are other normal human looking types there, she would have no reason to assume otherwise.

Technically there is no further risk of her discovering the actual, real truth either by hunting for answers in the Step-Daughter scenario, but it still just creates a much larger potential for questions to be asked that she would otherwise have no reason to ask in the other scenario.

Of course, all of this could possibly be avoided completely if Hordak just raises her to believe that he is her actual father. While she could potentially question that (since he is obviously a different race of being than she is), somehow I doubt that her training in the Freight Zone covered the basics and logic of high school biology or anything like that. If she isn't exposed to any line of thinking that would cause her to question her surroundings, then there is even less potential for her to go out and search for the "truth".
    You reasonable people and your silly-ass logic!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

So I can prepare myself, when is the next batch of info/reveals? Wasn't there something in April or is that it until SDCC?
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    So I can prepare myself, when is the next batch of info/reveals? Wasn't there something in April or is that it until SDCC?
    The SDCC exclusives will be revealed in April.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Hopefully. Maybe if more people are aware of the mishaps, the less likely they will be to let them happen.

Toyguru should make sure more of his underlings are given the power to help.
    When they were explaining the process a figure goes through I can see why Scott gets so upset. I am the last to defend him or Matty but I honestly think something like Hsss shoulders was just as much of a oh crap realization to them as it was to us.

The figures go through 2 review process before they go to the factory so kind of like how Digital River gives Mattel a bad rep I think they are getting screwed by the factory as well.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

The SDCC exclusives will be revealed in April.
    Thanks! I was starting to think I just imagined that.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    When they were explaining the process a figure goes through I can see why Scott gets so upset. I am the last to defend him or Matty but I honestly think something like Hsss shoulders was just as much of a oh crap realization to them as it was to us.

The figures go through 2 review process before they go to the factory so kind of like how Digital River gives Mattel a bad rep I think they are getting screwed by the factory as well.
    Interesting. It sounds a lot like how the review process for pages in the book went for me! Sometimes I would highlight mistakes and explain how to fix them and the company would still send the samples back wrong.

It's hard to know where the blame truly lies for mistakes on figures, but it's just a ***** that it happens in the first place...and if it takes a bit of money to fix it, I think it would be worth it to give the brand a good name instead of becoming a QC-laughing stock, driving customers away.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Thanks! I was starting to think I just imagined that.
    It's EVERY April, Shokoti.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightDamien View Post
    We're talking about molds - not figures. Molds are quite large, and there are many for each part. I have some experience with this, and I'm just saying that if you're not planning on using those molds ever again, there's no point in trying to store them.

Especially for a large toy company that might own hundreds of thousands of molds across their toylines. You're not talking about a 'private storage unit.' You're talking about a warehouse at that point, if they were to keep everything.

Don't be too quick to jump to that conclusion. It's common practice with all toy companies to destroy molds they never plan to use again. Mattel does it, Hasbro does it, ToyBiz did it, etc.
    I have to disagree with you based on facts.

You forget those huge vehicles from Star Wars like the Millennium Falcon, AT-AT, etc. and all of the G.I. Joe vehicles which were made back in the 80's that Hasbro re-releases! Even all those vintage Transformers with their many, many parts which need lots and lots of different molds as well were kept so they were able to make the commemorative line re-releases happen. They do add a few things to some of the old molds, but it is the old mold they use nonetheless!

Hasbro generally keeps the molds if they are still in a good condition, although some molds got lost or got broken in overseas factories like the Skystriker from G.I. Joe. This was the reason Hasbro told us why we would not get a 25th anniversary Skystriker.

Now finally Hasbro took the effort to make a brand new sculpted Skystriker (it IS a 1 seater, but still!) and it's going to be released this year along with an exclusive repaint as; Starscream with Cobra Commander and Megatron sidearm in the cockpit.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    I mean, Hasbro STILL puts out toys from molds of figures made25-30 years ago...and makes BANK!

But then, Mattel aren't exactly known for long-term business acumen outside of Barbie and Hot Wheels, are they?
    I totally agree that it's a bad business model from Mattel to destroy molds.
    Hasbro sure ain't doing it and it pays off for them now.
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

Could someone say which time the panel is?

Quote Originally Posted by Firesoullove View Post
    Could someone say which time the panel is?
    The one from C2E2? It was at earlier today.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    The one from C2E2? It was at earlier today.
    Thankx for your answer! :-) But didn't Toyguru says there willl be news about the next DC vs. MOTUC Set and not only rumors?
    So I can't find these news from the panel

Heroic Warrior
    Apparently you have not been reading the past 3 pages....
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

To those saying Hasbro does not destroy the molds trust me they do, they destroyed all their MLP molds when they moved onto G2 in the 90's. They even explained as much when they went back to do the 25th Anniversary ponies they had to resculpt. Hasbro tends to also sell off their old molds overseas rather then completely destroying them, they get more $$$ out of them that way.

Mattel said today its standard practice, look at the Commerartive He-Man head for example. They said though they have the tech now to reproduce a mold or design so getting rid of it when it is not going to be used does not effect them. also you guys are skimming over the part where it's 2 years after it is o longer in use, 2 years is a LONG time for toys. Generally if you have not produced the toy in that span you won't!

Also using GI Joe and Transformers is poor examples, many of the toys are constantly being reproduced for anniversary editions and exclusives. I highly doubt they still have some of their older lines available or any of the old Kenner Stuff.

It's apples and oranges

Sorry if this has been discussed, but did anyone ask why there was a random MOTUC Keldor on display by itself? In the pics I saw at TNI it looks lik he's also in the DCU display section, but I can't be sure because there's no wide shot of it all.

Maybe markatisu can confirm?

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    Oh, I know they do...just providing an example of why it would be good practice.

And the molds they trashed were from before they knew that they'd be re-issuing these things for decades, you know?

With what we know about the industry now, it seems short-sighted to trash molds from from a billion-dollar property.
    How do you know that they know that property will be revisited later on?

Dude, face it...ours is the first generation to focus so heavily on the toys from our childhoods; I mean, there was a sort-of demand for it from the '60s generation, but pretty much the majority of it came from the '70s and '80s. How would they have known that back then?

Did you save all your toys from childhood, knowing you might want them again? My parents told me unless it was still in its packaging with all accessories, and with nary a scratch, it would be worthless. Boy did I find out the hard way that they were clueless.

You're kinda asking Mattel to have hindsight here that pretty much no toy company back then had.

You also have to consider that Mattel really hasn't had that many hits to really think they'd be going back to revisit said properties. They probably figured after New Adventures flopped, "ok, He-Man's dead".

Oh yeah...and the generation after ours? Barely cares about toys, outside of video games.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Randor Grizzlor Lovechild bigassbuzz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I'll try to take pictures tomorrow. I just ran to the basement to see if I could find him, and I did! All I know is he's made by TOMY Japan and is probably from the 80's. I'll start a thread on him in the "Other" forums when I can take pics, but I NEED to know what he is, what he's from and what he's supposed to come with. There's a really tiny guy in a little spacepod you can't play with. It's like in the movies when they come across a spaceship that is no longer in working order, and there's only dead bodies aboard and no explanation and they try to find out what happened. That's what this toy has always been to me!

EDIT: Oh my God! I was searching based on my limited knowledge about it and found it because of a G.I. Joe site, no less! It's from Starriors! Mine's missing all the accessories, I think. I got it free though!

http://www.starriors.com/images/fun/...tation_kid.jpg

I'm glad I reminded you of happy thoughts.

Thanks Mangs.
    -Buzz out
    www.hyveofvillainy.com - Evil Action Figures

My ORG FEEDBACK is here.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    ...Oh and we could look at Syklone up close, they brought him to the panel...
    Did anyone check his shoulders?

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Yep, bigassbuzz, that's the one!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Here's a prime example of how Horde08 is actually right in how people read what they want to read. Where in the above quote did Horde08 say it couldn't be a reveal? I see "didn't say there would be",and "could have said" something else. Somebody show me where he said "could not possibly have been a reveal".

The worst part is that somebody will inevitably post angrily about how Toyguru didn't give us the reveal he "promised".

I think the point he was trying to make is that a 2-pack reveal being the news was plausible, not definate like some people end up acting.
    Thank you...THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!! Finally someone got what I was saying.

Most people of this board read so much into a simple post, then twist that post into something it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Moreover, it's slightly annoying to be quoted as if I'm supposed to take full responsibility. And yes, I know he said "people" - plural. But he could have made a statement without quoting me specifically.
    I just quoted you because yours was the post that would help me make a point, and I didnt really see the point in going through the thread multi quoting 5 people for 1 post.

I didn't realize that you would be "bothered" I quoted you individually.
    Last edited by Horde08; March 20, 2011 at 08:43pm.
    "A Race 2 What And Where We Going?
    We In The Same Boat
    But Eye'M The Only One Rowin
    Last Time Eye Checked U Were Sleepin'
    …but U Can Call Me A Dreamer 2"

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    How do you know that they know that property will be revisited later on?
    You don't ...it's a calculated risk. Like stocks. If He-Man has been a cash cow, there's a reasonable chance that it'll pay off again at some point.
    Dude, face it...ours is the first generation to focus so heavily on the toys from our childhoods; I mean, there was a sort-of demand for it from the '60s generation, but pretty much the majority of it came from the '70s and '80s. How would they have known that back then?
    I don't know...Kenner did. So did Hasbro and Takara, so somebody know something that Mattel doesn't.
    Did you save all your toys from childhood, knowing you might want them again? My parents told me unless it was still in its packaging with all accessories, and with nary a scratch, it would be worthless. Boy did I find out the hard way that they were clueless.I have every GI Joe and TF that I had as a child.

You're kinda asking Mattel to have hindsight here that pretty much no toy company back then had.
    Hasbro, Kenner, Takara...
    You also have to consider that Mattel really hasn't had that many hits to really think they'd be going back to revisit said properties. They probably figured after New Adventures flopped, "ok, He-Man's dead".
    NA was unmitigated dog vomit. You can't change the NFL to soccer and expect it to fly in the same market. They got away from what the property was and paid the price.
    Oh yeah...and the generation after ours? Barely cares about toys, outside of video games.That's true. But I'm gonna be alive for several more decades, as will you, I hope.

But I don't expect Mattel to show the foresight that other companies (that know how to keep a brand alive) do.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz