Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Man Of Steel/Superman Movie Reboot Thread

I keep thinking about the possible casting and characters for this movie but I haven't really thought about what having Zack Snyder direct the movie means. He's really a mixed bag for me. I loved Dawn Of The Dead, hated 300, thought Watchmen was better than it could have been but still flawed(Malin Akerman is an awful actress), and was bored to tears at Legend Of The Guardians(I only saw it for the Looney Tunes cartoon that preceded it). I'm not ready to judge this movie before I see it like Transformers 3, but I am sorta nervous with his mixed track record.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I hope that goes a long way towards retaining more of the John Williams theme at least.
    I would love to see the DC movies get a brand new fresh start similar to what Marvel has done with their movies not tied up at Sony & 20th Century Fox. That's one of the reasons I'm upset that Nolan is not only doing another Batman movie(there is no way to do a DCU movie series with his "realistic" take on Batman without drastically altering the other superheroes), but is producing Superman. At least Green Lantern seems to be embracing the world of superheroes a little more than Nolan.

Having said all that, I can't imagine a Superman movie without that 33 year old theme from the great John Williams.

Speaking of classic stuff, has everyone seen this?
    I saw that the other day. I definitely like the animator's enthusiasm. The style reminds me of a mixture of the classic Fleischer Superman cartoons with a hint of John Kricfalusi.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post

Having said all that, I can't imagine a Superman movie without that 33 year old theme from the great John Williams.
    Watching a Superman movie without would be strange.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Speaking of classic stuff, has everyone seen this?
    I saw that the other day! I think it's phenomenal. Also, Superboy and his wife are te voices of Superman and Lois!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

AICN is reporting Lane and suddenly saying Costner is Pa Kent. Was Costner's role confirmed somewhere, or is AICN just jumping the gun?

Also, dang, I have trouble forgetting the Kents looking like grandparents in the comics for so many years. I still picture them from Lois and Clark where they were decidedly not as young as they are looking in Smallville and this new movie. Shoot, I grew up with Diane Lane as that lovesick teenager in A Little Romance. Now she's Superman's mom? I'm feeling old suddenly.

diane lane is 46.. i'm sure hollywood will age her fine, but at times i dont like that.. looks to fake. rather have someone older, in their 50's to look more age appropriate without excessive make up.

i like really liked clarks parents from the 1978 film.
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

The Man Of Steel/Superman Movie Reboot Thread

Since there are a few different threads out there pertaining to casting for this movie, I felt it might be a good idea for the mods to condense them into one thread. Especially for when the movie is eventually released.

To christen this thread, I figured I'd start by sharing the "great" news on who was cast as Lois Lane.

Amy Adams

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...e-lois-lane%2F
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; March 27, 2011 at 04:21pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    diane lane is 46.. i'm sure hollywood will age her fine, but at times i dont like that.. looks to fake. rather have someone older, in their 50's to look more age appropriate without excessive make up.

i like really liked clarks parents from the 1978 film.
    I actually liked the Parents in Lois and Clark series. Even the Animated Series was a great portrayal of them. I hate that one of them has to be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    I just saw this and I'm not to keen on the idea of Amy in the part. I love her and she's a great actress. But I just can't see her as Lois Lane. Unless they go with the poor damsel in distress Lois. They should have went with Olivia Wilde.

What's funny is that they're still many complaining about Cavill being cast as Clark Kent/Superman. Saying how skinny he is. From what I hear is that this guy is getting buffed up big time! Zach says he will look amazing in the suit when it's time.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I think she's a great choice, one of my favorite actresses. Did you see her in The Fighter? Hardly a damsel in distress.

Olivia Wilde hasn't impressed me outside of being amazing eye candy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    I actually liked the Parents in Lois and Clark series. Even the Animated Series was a great portrayal of them. I hate that one of them has to be dead.
    I agree. They were both alive in the comics since the mid-80's until a few years ago. I honestly think the only reason they killed Pa Kent off was because most people think of Richard Donner's Superman & he was killed of early in that film(Donner was also "co-writing" the comics around that time as well).

They should have went with Olivia Wilde.
    If we're going by looks & acting, I'm all for Adams(I don't find Wilde attractive or that talented), but if you're going by hair color and age, I guess Wilde would have fit. Adams is almost a decade older than Superman in this.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    With black hair or "dark brown hair," she might be good. She's beautiful and an Academy Award nominee. I think I've only seen her comedies though.

I'm still not digging the guy they cast as Superman though... Routh totally looked the part. This guy doesn't do it for me. He looks more like Robin.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Okay, Adams's casting surprises me. She has proven to be a pretty strong actress now, and I am surprised they would choose someone so well established and who could overshadow Cavill with screen presence if they're not careful. But I applaud that they are clearly going for pedigree and not just the looks (as I think they did with Bosworth). If Olivia Wilde was up for it as well, I am surprised that she wasn't cast because of the age difference--but Adams has transformed for a few roles now and I think she can here too. I'd hope for a Jean Arthur meets Katherine Hepburn type delivery for Lois, but I think whatever Snyder wants for the part--Amy Adams can deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post

I'm still not digging the guy they cast as Superman though... Routh totally looked the part. This guy doesn't do it for me. He looks more like Robin.
    I am the complete opposite. I never saw Routh looking anything like Superman. Something about the face never connected with me, then Singer changed the design of the costume and closed off the neck area, drawing even more attention to that.

The new guy I can see Superman right away.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Cavill, looks nothing like any of the Superman's I've seen in the films or comics, and the fact that a non-American is going to play a Kansas-raised Clark Kent is just sad. Snyder should have kept Routh.

I think the new movie will suck worse than the Schumacher Batman films
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Cavill, looks nothing like any of the Superman's I've seen in the films or comics, and the fact that a non-American is going to play a Kansas-raised Clark Kent is just sad. Snyder should have kept Routh.

I think the new movie will suck worse than the Schumacher Batman films
    You do know Routh was manly chosen cause he looked and sounded similar to Chris Reeve. That's all you heard when Superman Returns was being made. Which really wasn't fair to Routh to begin with. As for Cavill being British. So what? I don't see people complaining about Bale as Batman who is also British. And people claim that he so far has been the best Batman to date. What about Ryan Reynolds? He's Canadian. Where the character was born in a fictional city called Coast City which was in the United States.

Here you got a 6'0 British Actor who has a chiseled good looks. Who can act! He can do a excellent American accent. At least he was casts cause he looked the part per Snyder and can act! He didn't go and try to find another Chris Reeve clone like Singer did. And that didn't even help the bad film that was Superman Returns.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

The one good thing about Adams is that she can do intense as well as bubbly(I want Lois to be both of those). The girl from Superman Returns(besides looking way too young and supposedly having an eating disorder) had no personality. Lois Lane should not be portrayed as a cold fish.

I don't really have an opinion on Henry Cavill. I wish the guy playing Superman was either American or Canadian(like the character's 2 creators), but he looks enough like Superman that I'm OK so far. I hope he's good at hiding his British accent.

I'm more nervous about the costume Zack Snyder is going to give him. He's been quoted as saying it won't look like Christopher Reeve's. Even the costume in Superman Returns wasn't a big departure. I just hope it isn't something like these...

First Nolan's Batman movies and now Snyder's Superman movie...

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...C6324485.story

I'm loving that so many DC superhero movies are being filmed in my backyard.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; March 28, 2011 at 04:59pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

Just a rumor at this point, but Viggo Mortensen being considered the villain, possibly Zod.

I know people groan about recycling the same two villains from the original films, as do I, but I'd be okay with Zod if they aren't doing impressions of Terrence Stamp. I'd want a modern version of Zod, something we haven't seen, if they must go that route.

I wonder if they will change Adams's hair. Right now she looks spot on for Lana Lang, but I know she has the range to be Lois. I think in the old show, Lois was actually a red head in a few episodes too.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I don't see Robin, but I am not surprised they cast someone younger as opposed to a George Reeves type. For me though, just going on looks, Cavill makes me think of Superman while Routh made me think of Rushmore. I say that though as someone who liked Superman Returns and Routh in the role.
    Last edited by gbagok; March 27, 2011 at 10:11pm.

I don't see it, but I am not surprised they cast someone younger as opposed to a George Reeves type. For me though, just going on looks, Cavill makes me think of Superman while Routh made me think of Rushmore. I say that though as someone who liked Superman Returns and Routh in the role.
    Do you mean Mount Rushmore or the star of the movie Rushmore?

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Do you mean Mount Rushmore or the star of the movie Rushmore?
    Talia Shire's son.

Talia Shire's son.
    That's what I thought you meant but I didn't want to start talking if I was wrong. I actually thought the same thing. I liked Superman Returns(although it was no Superman 1 or 2), but I kept thinking Routh looked like a taller Schwartzman. He was still good in the role but I don't feel he was as charismatic as Christopher Reeve.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Amy Adams was in Smallville, so this is pretty nifty to me. (My wife and I love Smallville-we always wait until the DVD sets come out and watch them then, so we're behind a season.) I also loved Superman Returns and see it as a good finale to SM1 and the Donner cut of SM2.

We saw Sucker Punch this weekend, and, despite all the negative reviews and crap being slung about on it, we enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm digging Snyder and love the idea of Nolan and Goyer working with him on the Man of Steel!.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    You do know Routh was manly chosen cause he looked and sounded similar to Chris Reeve. That's all you heard when Superman Returns was being made. Which really wasn't fair to Routh to begin with. As for Cavill being British. So what? I don't see people complaining about Bale as Batman who is also British. And people claim that he so far has been the best Batman to date. What about Ryan Reynolds? He's Canadian. Where the character was born in a fictional city called Coast City which was in the United States.

Here you got a 6'0 British Actor who has a chiseled good looks. Who can act! He can do a excellent American accent. At least he was casts cause he looked the part per Snyder and can act! He didn't go and try to find another Chris Reeve clone like Singer did. And that didn't even help the bad film that was Superman Returns.
    Considering that Singer's film was pretty much a sequel to Donner's Superman films, it's only logical that he find someone that could fill Chris Reeve's 6'4", 215 pound suit. Unfortunately, Singer made the dumb mistake of bringing Lex Luthor back as the villian. Routh could only work with what he was given, and still made me believe he was Clark Kent/Superman.

As for Christian Bale, I didn't care for his Bruce Wayne/Batman. And as for Ryan Reynolds playing Hal Jordan, I will take a Canadian actor over a British actor anyday

It's kinda like J.K. Rowling's thing with only British actors playing the characters from Harry Potter. An American icon such as Superman should be played by an American, period.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

If Bale was American or Canadian, then you would have liked him? I don't get what one has to do with the other.