Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: The Man Of Steel/Superman Movie Reboot Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    While I agree not every DC super hero needs to be dark, and I don't love the DK films as much as others do (though I do love Nolan's other work) this doesn't feel DARK to me. It feels mythic and epic. Things I think are good for Superman. Remember, it's very possible this has been cut and scored to appeal to those who liked DK. The tone of the whole movie isn't necessarily represented here.
    I hope you're right. I'm mainly going from the visual look of the film itself. The cinematography just looks very dark and subdued. Almost melancholic. Looks very grey and bleak. Sadly, nothing like a Zack Snyder film. As you said I hope the trailer was cut this way on purpose.

You can see Snyder's style in all of the flying scenes.

they said they want to show WHY Superman is the icon that he is. I think the scale and the threat needs to be big to show that. Returns was so dull IMO because it didn't focus on the SUPER of superman, this one looks like it will and to do that the threat needs to be dark. but I believe the darkness of the movie will show the brightness of Superman.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    This trailer reinforces my belief that the wild success of The Dark Knight trilogy was both the best and worst thing to happen to DC movies. You can see the dark, brooding reality of the Christopher Nolan Batman films all over this. So much so that Zack Snyder’s signature style (which I actually really like and is one of the reasons why I was so excited for this) is all but gone. I’ve got a nasty feeling WB now think that because the Batman films were such a huge success all DC films from this point on must be cut from the same cloth. You know, they tried a different approach with Green Lantern and look what happened? So why not? It won’t work, IMO. There a plenty of reasons why GL flopped, but I don’t think any of them had anything to do with the tone of the film. Not every DC adaptation from now on can be like The Dark Knight. Particularly not if they hope to get a Justice League film off the ground.

The Green Lantern film was stupid mainly because that the actors didn't even wear the costumes, they were digitally 'painted' on which looked awfully fake to begin with. The digital painting in the Smallville series finale was even fake looking, which somewhat ruined the big moment that fans had been waiting for, to a certain degree.

In my opinion, if an actor wants to play a character, like Superman for instance, then they need to be willing to go the mile and actually WEAR the physical, live action costume. Cavill, thankfully, is wearing an actual real life, tangible, physical Superman suit which helps sells his look as Superman.

CGI is great for certain things, but I don't think it should be used to replace live action costumes with digitally 'painted' ones. Keep the real costumes!
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Not really thrilled about having another emo Superman but I'm still going to give this a shot. At least this one won't be shackled to the Reeve films like the last one was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    The Green Lantern film was stupid mainly because that the actors didn't even wear the costumes, they were digitally 'painted' on which looked awfully fake to begin with. The digital painting in the Smallville series finale was even fake looking, which somewhat ruined the big moment that fans had been waiting for, to a certain degree.

In my opinion, if an actor wants to play a character, like Superman for instance, then they need to be willing to go the mile and actually WEAR the physical, live action costume. Cavill, thankfully, is wearing an actual real life, tangible, physical Superman suit which helps sells his look as Superman.

CGI is great for certain things, but I don't think it should be used to replace live action costumes with digitally 'painted' ones. Keep the real costumes!
    That wasn't an issue with Ryan Reynolds. Dude is buff, he would've worn the costume. That was a stylistic choice that the filmmakers made. Even in the comics Green Lanterns don't wear uniforms, their rings create them out of energy. That's the effect they were going for in the movie. Its debatable if it worked or not, but it was a valid choice.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    That wasn't an issue with Ryan Reynolds. Dude is buff, he would've worn the costume. That was a stylistic choice that the filmmakers made. Even in the comics Green Lanterns don't wear uniforms, their rings create them out of energy. That's the effect they were going for in the movie. Its debatable if it worked or not, but it was a valid choice.
    Still looked very, very fake. The trick with CGI is that it is supposed to look realistic and not look like CGI.
    (Hordak Alpha))

Still looked very, very fake. The trick with CGI is that it is supposed to look realistic and not look like CGI.
    In general, yes. In this case, not really. The costumes weren't supposed to look "real" or like clothing. They were supposed to look like energy constructs - essentially live action 3D.

This movie looks so above awesome that adjectives just can't do the trailer justice. Can't wait to see the finished product. I think the world might be finally ready for another Superman movie!
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

In general, yes. In this case, not really. The costumes weren't supposed to look "real" or like clothing. They were supposed to look like energy constructs - essentially live action 3D.
    Funnily enough, the suits were one of the few things that DID work for me in GL. I thought the problem was the script, the casting, the acting, some of the other CGI, etc.

I do hope they get another crack at GL one day though. I really like the hero if he's done right.

Funnily enough, the suits were one of the few things that DID work for me in GL.
    Me too. Didn't have a problem with the suits at all. I thought they looked pretty cool.

Funnily enough, the suits were one of the few things that DID work for me in GL. I thought the problem was the script, the casting, the acting, some of the other CGI, etc.

I do hope they get another crack at GL one day though. I really like the hero if he's done right.
    Me too. I thought it was the smart way to go and I think they pulled it off. You can argue that they may have been a bit over designed, but I think the effect worked like they wanted.

Me too. I thought it was the smart way to go and I think they pulled it off. You can argue that they may have been a bit over designed, but I think the effect worked like they wanted.
    I'd agree with this 100% I liked the effect, the suits looked better in the film than the stills and the look was pretty neat albeit a bit over designed.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    This movie looks so above awesome that adjectives just can't do the trailer justice. Can't wait to see the finished product. I think the world might be finally ready for another Superman movie!
    And, if not, WB will do another reboot in four years. That seems to be their only solution to any of their live action superhero movies.
    (Hordak Alpha))

Heroic Warrior
    I like the actor, looks more manly.

I like the suit, too, the red underpants never looked right in movies...

Some toys revealed! First look at Zod 3/4 (?) figure to get an idea of how he may look like.
    I'll mark as a spoiler for whom don't want to know yet...

photo man-of-steel-supeman-mattel-quick-shot_zpsae1ebe80.jpg

photo man-of-steel-supeman-mattel-23_zps68549a64.jpg

photo man-of-steel-supeman-mattel-22_zps6241430d.jpg

photo man-of-steel-supeman-mattel-10_zpsac7e0cd6.jpg

photo man-of-steel-supeman-mattel-06_zps67479ed4.jpg

photo man-of-steel-supeman-mattel-05_zps95a1f830.jpg

photo man-of-steel-supeman-mattel-04_zps8fa6e98f.jpg

photo man-of-steel-supeman-mattel_zps1381370d.jpg

I think they shall be out of the bag next month at NYTF.
    I want to see Mattel Movie Masters versions of Superman, Faora & Zod. I do also hope that they may release 12" action figures, coller than the ones released through Matty a few years back!
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

it's smallville, disappointment central..what did you expect?
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Here's another figure for the movie that we shall be seeing at NYTF in 2 weeks

Man-of-Steel---Mega-Punch-Superman-1_1359047583.jpg

It kinda remind me of the Mini MOTU that were at SDCC 2011
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

I like Zod's emblem and of course he can't go wrong in black. I wish they were using to the DCUC scale/articulation, but I guess I should be glad for not wanting to collect another line. I hope these sell.

Latest rumor is Jimmy Olsen is now a female character? Not so happy about that if it's true, particularly if this is now part of a shared DC universe. So many red-headed actors out there and I don't think they've ever cast one in that role.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

And here are the MM's figures with Jor-El armor image

photo toy_3_20130130_1329525395_zps0780447b.png

photo toy_2_20130130_1834503748_zpsfc5ec7c0.png

photo Man-of-Steel-Movie-Masters-Superman_1359578709_zpsb8cbfa0f.jpg

I only like Superman. Jor-El is ok and probably I may get it, since it is Russel Crowe, but not so thrill about it. It would be cool to put him next to MM Ra`s Al Ghul (Liam Nesson) though.
    I hope that Zod is a mock or something, since it is not looking like anything similar to what the trailer has exposed, it is even missing the evil triangular beard, and no armor, just same buck as Superman with different chest symbol

My feedback thread

Superman looks amazing. I like the design of Jor-El. Zod is a bit uninspiring.

Superman looks amazing. I like the design of Jor-El. Zod is a bit uninspiring.
    Eh. I think the Zod is ok, it's closer to his look (Not identical mind you but aspects) in that story where DC had Richard Donner pen him escaping the phantom zone.
    Superman's costume is OK. It kind of looks like a hybrid between his Injustice: Gods Among Us (DC Fighting game from the MK guys)
    costume, and the costume The Eradicator used during the Reign of the Supermen story arc from 1993/94.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I hope you're right. I'm mainly going from the visual look of the film itself. The cinematography just looks very dark and subdued. Almost melancholic. Looks very grey and bleak. Sadly, nothing like a Zack Snyder film. As you said I hope the trailer was cut this way on purpose.
    That was the biggest problem missed opportunity with Returns. A problem in that the whole film looked washed out and blurry, almost colorless. THe Nolan Batman movies were brighter, and they focused on nigh time antics. A missed opportunity in that the dull world would have worked had Superman been in his usual primary colors, rather than the dark, dank costume he had instead. Imagine the bright hero against the bland background, symbolic on a number of levels. I'm hoping they don't make the same mistake again.

Not crazy about the costume, but the actor does cut a good figure as Supes. I just have to wonder why we're seeing Zod again. We've been there, and something like a battle with Mongul or Brainiac would add something new to the mix. Marvel was wise not to pit Spider-Man against the Goblin again in their re-boot, instead going for someone we hadn't seen in the movies before. Batman Begins worked the best of any of the Nolan films for me because we actually got to see Bats go up against someone new in Ra's.

Warner hasn't exactly done a bang-up job with it's DC movies, especially compared to Marvel (and I know I'm in the minority, but I disliked both Dark Knight and Rises). I'm hoping maybe this film breaks that trend. Snyder did a good, faithful job on Watchmen, and seemed to get what the property was about. Let's hope he likewise gets what makes Supes work, as well. Hard to say what will happen, as the two properties are at opposite ends of the super-hero spectrum.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I just have to wonder why we're seeing Zod again. We've been there, and something like a battle with Mongul or Brainiac would add something new to the mix. Marvel was wise not to pit Spider-Man against the Goblin again in their re-boot, instead going for someone we hadn't seen in the movies before. Batman Begins worked the best of any of the Nolan films for me because we actually got to see Bats go up against someone new in Ra's.
    We haven't seen Zod in a Superman movie in 33 years. I don't think its a big deal.

There have been some screening and people, who seem to be a truthful source to JoBlo site, has this advance early reaction:

- Imagine a Nolan story with Snyder effects/action.
    - It's the best movie of the year.
    - There's TONS of action with Superman kicking all kinds of ass in his suit.
    - The cape is CG'd most of the time so it can look awesome.
    - They have intentionally left out most of the the Super action in trailers to save it.
    - It's not nearly as dour and serious as the trailers suggest.
    - The movie is complete, minus the 3D post-conversion, which is currently taking place
    - See more at: http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/scoo....sFsydtcU.dpuf
    I do really hope it is the best movie of the year; however it is hard to keep those hopes high so early in the year and not having watched IM3 or Pacific Rim yet, but Superman as an icon and character deserves so

My feedback thread