Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: The Man Of Steel/Superman Movie Reboot Thread

Yeah, I read those. Sounds promising.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Latest rumor is Jimmy Olsen is now a female character? Not so happy about that if it's true, particularly if this is now part of a shared DC universe.
    I wouldn't be too worried about there being a shared film universe with 'Man of Steel'. Snyder and Nolan keep saying that their movies both exist in different realities and the fact that WB keeps wanting the long delayed Justice League film will have it's own actors and own continuity.

Which, really, I don't understand WHY the DC films can't have a shared cinematic universe. Marvel's Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America AND Avengers films having the same cinematic universe haven't just been a success but the RIGHT way to do the superhero team movies. WB's supposed reluctance to follow the same model that Marvel used is just completely stupid.

Really, what should have happened are The Dark Knight films (as much as I really don't like their version of Batman) and the Man of Steel film SHOULD have been the jump off point to create a shared cinematic DC universe. But, if WB's only idea is keep making reboots all of the time, then so be it. It's only going to make DC and WB look stupid as Marvel continues having success with a cinematic universe.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

A new Batman version is needed for JL movie, one that is more in synch with a world in which aliens, Greek Godesses and intergalactic force can co-exists. That doesn't mean that should be less serious or not have strong roots on verisimilitude.

As seen on DK trilogy and now on MoS, as expressed by Nolan, it was intended to have an epic scale larger than life in those movies, just by the cast of it, in the same way that the first Superman had. As a wonderful cinematic experience and sense that it is, which delivered us Brando as Jor-El or Caine as Alfred and Oldman as Gordon (the best there was and sadly shall be), I personally find almost impossible to translate it in a JL movie.

I do really hope that a JL will be made in the next 3 years, but based on Warners comments on how they want MoS to make like 400 millions at box office to grre light it and just by the plain thought that nobody has a good idea on how to cast Wonder Woman or Green Lantern, I do not think it shall be made till 2020 or later. Sadly, pretty much the same with MOTU movie
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

You guys obviously haven't heard the latest. I'll let comingsoon.net do the talking:

The road to the Justice League film hasn't been easy for Warner Bros. After it was revealed that the film would hit theaters in 2015, it came to light that the script for the film had been scrapped and they were having to start over. Enter the latest rumor on the project...

Latino Review is reporting that Warner Bros. has approached Christopher Nolan to take over everything related to their DC Comics properties. They allege that Nolan will be involved in the development and will produce all of the DC superheroes. They also say they are working toward having Christian Bale reprise his role as Bruce Wayne from The Dark Knight series to join up with Henry Cavill in the Justice League film and that Man of Steel director Zack Snyder will also produce and may direct the project.

Take this with a grain of salt, however, as there has been no confirmation from the studio or anyone else that any of this is true.
    It would make complete financial sense for WB to want Christian Bale back, as the last two Dark Knight films made over a billion on their own, whereas none of the individual Marvel films managed to do that before The Avengers. I'm inclined to believe this is quite accurate. Plus, it originally comes from latinoreview, who have a very good track record.

Bale can be Batman (I suppose) but change that awful freaking voice. Bale's 'Batman' voice sounds like somebody with a really bad cold.

And, Nolan isn't as great as everyone and their grandmother claim him to be. He got a lot of things wrong when it came to the Bat mythos regarding his movies, but people seem to overlook a lot of it, for reasons I do not understand.
    (Hordak Alpha))

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    It would make complete financial sense for WB to want Christian Bale back, as the last two Dark Knight films made over a billion on their own, whereas none of the individual Marvel films managed to do that before The Avengers. I'm inclined to believe this is quite accurate. Plus, it originally comes from latinoreview, who have a very good track record.
    No, it doesn't. Nolan's "everything has to be 100% based in the real world" approach is no more suited to JL than it would be to Superman. Tim Burton did a great job with his two Bat films, but I cringed at the thought of him doing Superman when Warners was talking about it. The Justice League movie will be about things that have nothing to do with reality, with things that are fantastic, not grounded in a griity world where even the Joker is just a kook in bad make-up. I disliked the last two Bat-films (especailly Dark Knight) on a number of counts, so the thought of Nolan overseeing and putting his imprint on the whole DC movie universe is something that does not thrill me.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    No, it doesn't. Nolan's "everything has to be 100% based in the real world" approach is no more suited to JL than it would be to Superman. Tim Burton did a great job with his two Bat films, but I cringed at the thought of him doing Superman when Warners was talking about it. The Justice League movie will be about things that have nothing to do with reality, with things that are fantastic, not grounded in a griity world where even the Joker is just a kook in bad make-up. I disliked the last two Bat-films (especailly Dark Knight) on a number of counts, so the thought of Nolan overseeing and putting his imprint on the whole DC movie universe is something that does not thrill me.
    When I say financial sense, I mean the fact that the last two Bale Batman films made over a billion without the aid of 3D. Their success is actually more impressive than that of The Avengers. A Justice League film with Bale as Batman would make an awful lot of money for the studio. More than The Avengers, I think. It may not make the best sense story-wise as you said, but financially I don't think it can be knocked.

No, it doesn't. Nolan's "everything has to be 100% based in the real world" approach is no more suited to JL than it would be to Superman.
    You're going to find out soon enough since Nolan produced (and co-developed the story) for Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    You're going to find out soon enough since Nolan produced (and co-developed the story) for Superman.
    I know he produced, but often that can mean little to nothing in terms of the story or direction. Co-developing the story worries me a bit, but hopefully the director and writer have more to do with it.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I know he produced, but often that can mean little to nothing in terms of the story or direction. Co-developing the story worries me a bit, but hopefully the director and writer have more to do with it.
    In this case its means quite a bit - Nolan was very much involved with Giyer and Snyder in the direction of the movie.

I'm not much of a fan of Nolan's Batman movies (and I really miss the guy who made Following and Momento), but you have to keep in mind that just because he had a certain direction for Batman doesn't mean that's his only direction.

but you have to keep in mind that just because he had a certain direction for Batman doesn't mean that's his only direction.
    But with Nolan, it isn't just direction; the second and third movies were a mess. The one thing that struck me most about Dark Knight was that I only remembered two things from it, really: a lot of explosions and a story that had no idea what it was trying to say. When I came out of Iron Man, or Avengers or Hellboy, I felt I'd seen a story with a point to make, be it seeing a guy learning what it is to be a hero, a bunch of disparate personalities learning about sacrifice and being a team, or a monster who chose to be a man. Even in Batman Begins, I felt I'd seen the tale of a lost man learning to become a symbol and a legend. But the last two Bat movies left me wondering if even Nolan knew what he was trying to say in the films, or if he just was trying to get through them with as many big scenes and effects as he could.

As I said, I have numerous problems with Nolan's last two films, and that's two-thirds of his super-hero resume. It's why I really hoped he was just a name behind the screen, as is often the case with producers, rather than an active part of the process.

Nolan was very much involved with Giyer and Snyder in the direction of the movie.
    Says who? There have been many an interview with Nolan where he blatantly states that he didn't want to have much input on the film and that it was Snyder's movie, not his. He said he was only to serve as a consultant, really. If that's incorrect, I'd like to see where it says otherwise - it's news to me!

From an article on ScreenRant:

"Now Nolan has explained that for all his pride in bringing Batman into the modern world, he’s not the one directing Man of Steel; Snyder is. And while there may be similarities between their approaches, Nolan maintains that this is Snyder’s film, through and through." [Says Nolan]: “It’s very much Zack’s film and I think people are going to love what he’s done…"
    Last edited by JohnnyC; March 6, 2013 at 05:12pm.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    Says who? There have been many an interview with Nolan where he blatantly states that he didn't want to have much input on the film and that it was Snyder's movie, not his. He said he was only to serve as a consultant, really. If that's incorrect, I'd like to see where it says otherwise - it's news to me!

From an article on ScreenRant:

"Now Nolan has explained that for all his pride in bringing Batman into the modern world, he’s not the one directing Man of Steel; Snyder is. And while there may be similarities between their approaches, Nolan maintains that this is Snyder’s film, through and through." [Says Nolan]: “It’s very much Zack’s film and I think people are going to love what he’s done…"
    When I say "the direction of the film" I'm not talking about the actually role of the director. I'm talking more globally. Nolan and David Goyer fleshed out the story and direction (ie: where the film is going and what it means to do) before Zach Snyder was ever involved.

Of course, Zach Snider is going to put his imprint all over the movie. Then the editors will as well.

I just have to wonder why we're seeing Zod again. We've been there, and something like a battle with Mongul or Brainiac would add something new to the mix.
    Snyder did a good, faithful job on Watchmen, and seemed to get what the property was about. Let's hope he likewise gets what makes Supes work, as well. Hard to say what will happen, as the two properties are at opposite ends of the super-hero spectrum.
    zod is there for thematic reasons. MOS is going to address superman's status as a superpowered alien. he's going to have to earn the trust of humanity and overcome their fear of what they don't understand. all of that will be exacerbated with zod- who will show what those powers can do when the will is malevolent.

and watchmen was OK. the movie takes sides- falling squarely on the side that says that ozymandias was wrong. the book is more ambiguous, leaving the reader more room to consider the question.

But with Nolan, it isn't just direction; the second and third movies were a mess. The one thing that struck me most about Dark Knight was that I only remembered two things from it, really: a lot of explosions and a story that had no idea what it was trying to say.
    i felt the complete opposite about dark knight. what it had to say reminded me of the quote:

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

the dark knight was about bruce learning to make the right choice through sacrifice.
    Last edited by Bri-Man; March 12, 2013 at 12:35am.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Man View Post
    zod is there for thematic reasons. MOS is going to address superman's status as a superpowered alien. he's going to have to earn the trust of humanity and overcome their fear of what they don't understand. all of that will be exacerbated with zod- who will show what those powers can do when the will is malevolent.
    I'd like to think Darkseid will be used as the villain for the Justice League film(if it happens) because I'd like to see a live action/CG portrayal of Darkseid that captures the character's brutal essence. The underwhelming Darkseid portrayed on Smallville wasn't even close.

the dark knight was about bruce learning to make the right choice through sacrifice.
    And to completely butcher the pronunciation of the name Ra's Al Guhl. It isn't 'Razz'!!
    (Hordak Alpha))

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    And to completely butcher the pronunciation of the name Ra's Al Guhl. It isn't 'Razz'!!
    well, technically that was batman begins, not dark knight.
    "Raysh" is actually referring to the Hebrew version of the letter R, "Resh," which means "head" or "chief." The Arabic contrast to Resh is "Ra," and it too means "head."

In Arabic, you'd pronounce "Ra's" like "Raw-uhss."
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS

Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Man View Post
    well, technically that was batman begins, not dark knight.
    "Raysh" is actually referring to the Hebrew version of the letter R, "Resh," which means "head" or "chief." The Arabic contrast to Resh is "Ra," and it too means "head."

In Arabic, you'd pronounce "Ra's" like "Raw-uhss."

Call me old fashioned, but I accept the pronunciation as it was from B:TAS. In fact, that is the way Ra's name was pronounced in the Red Hood movie as well.

Personally, I'd like Nolan to go away and stick with his own concepts. He did too many things to the Batman movies that irk me. One strange irk I still have is why does Batman have to lay down to fire the weapons in that tumbler car? So, fighting crime is such a hard job that Batman needs to lay down once in awhile when he is blasting missiles at bad guys?
    (Hordak Alpha))

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but I accept the pronunciation as it was from B:TAS. In fact, that is the way Ra's name was pronounced in the Red Hood movie as well.

Personally, I'd like Nolan to go away and stick with his own concepts. He did too many things to the Batman movies that irk me. One strange irk I still have is why does Batman have to lay down to fire the weapons in that tumbler car? So, fighting crime is such a hard job that Batman needs to lay down once in awhile when he is blasting missiles at bad guys?
    i wouldn't call that old fashioned at all. it's no surprise that they pronounced Ra's the same way in Red Hood as they did in Batman:TAS, since many of the same team are behind the two projects. guys like bruce timm are comic purists for the most part, and as such they cling to internal comic traditions. that seems old fashioned, but the actual old fashioned outlook on the name is the one that predates the comics by centuries- the one that correctly pronounces the name in regards to it's arabic origin and in a way that displays phonemic accuracy.

the laying down in the tumbler to operate weapons is meant to compensate for trying to fire a gun and drive at the same time. it's a ground vehicle, and batman has no gunner with him.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS

So did anyone see this new image?

"I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Evil fears the Knight mattnotis's Avatar

Supes looks like he's about to pound Zod's head into oatmeal! Sooooooo STOKED!
    Wabawalawoo!!!

Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnotis View Post
    http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5...lfilmscan2.jpg

Supes looks like he's about to pound Zod's head into oatmeal! Sooooooo STOKED!
    Im Stoked as well I hope Superman can make a comeback
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    What's with the goofy suits of armor? Yeah, I can tell this is going to stink especially with that awful Super suit. Oh well, at least Marvel is getting things right.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    What's with the goofy suits of armor? Yeah, I can tell this is going to stink especially with that awful Super suit. Oh well, at least Marvel is getting things right.
    You gotta remember tho that these are guys from another planet wearing these "goofy suits." Why can't that be envisioned as "the norm" where they come from?

That said, who's to say that they wouldn't find jeans, sneakers, or sunglasses "goofy."

It's all relative...

Test screenings were positive.