Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Man Of Steel/Superman Movie Reboot Thread

But of course Thor would be getting more buzz now! He's just had a trailer and his movie is coming out in a few months--and his hype is tied to the whole Marvel connected movie universe to boot. Superman is over a year, maybe two, away from being a film! And honestly, until the trailers started appearing, most of the buzz on Thor was doubts that it would be any good. If he thinks the hype for just the idea of Superman should be the equivalent of hype for just the idea of another Batman after TDK or Begins, I think he's not being realistic. If Superman's teaser gets only the same amount of attention as say the Green Lantern teaser, then I'd say there's a problem. So far the only thing broken about him has been that an ex-hairdresser producer was trying to make a commercial-formula milkshake franchise with the same title for a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Thank God someone else thinks that as well. The whole speech from Gordon to his son(the little kid almost derailed the entire movie with his horrific acting)had me just rolling my eyes. That and the cliched scene with the two boats with bombs. How touching! Those on the outside of a prison can actually act worse than those behind bars. It felt like something an uber liberal first year film student would write for a short film.
    I really cannot see what others see about that kid's acting that was so bad. I thought he was plenty adequate, and the speech ended the movie on the right note for me. I've rewatched it with the crits in mind and I just don't feel them. Also I didn't think the "innocent" citizens acted "worse" than the criminals. Neither side blew up the other. That an inmate had more moral fiber than the jailer gave him the trigger thinking he'd used it might have been slightly preachy, but I found it effective and not indulgent. It sounds like the shark and the air tank in Jaws. Either the movie has you by then and you accept it, or it doesn't and you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    The actor playing He-Man should be Australian doing a perfect American accent.
    nah, he-man should be played by a latino american, many latino's have natural blond hair
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I really cannot see what others see about that kid's acting that was so bad. I thought he was plenty adequate, and the speech ended the movie on the right note for me. I've rewatched it with the crits in mind and I just don't feel them. Also I didn't think the "innocent" citizens acted "worse" than the criminals. Neither side blew up the other. That an inmate had more moral fiber than the jailer gave him the trigger thinking he'd used it might have been slightly preachy, but I found it effective and not indulgent. It sounds like the shark and the air tank in Jaws. Either the movie has you by then and you accept it, or it doesn't and you don't.
    I didn't hate The Dark Knight but I didn't find it as great as some people do. To be honest, and I know this is going to be met with about as much scorn as when I criticise the Four Horsemen, I think Nolan is an extremely overrated director. I only loved one of his movies. The rest I either felt were just OK or were self indulgent & boring.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I didn't hate The Dark Knight but I didn't find it as great as some people do. To be honest, and I know this is going to be met with about as much scorn as when I criticise the Four Horsemen, I think Nolan is an extremely overrated director. I only loved one of his movies. The rest I either felt were just OK or were self indulgent & boring.
    Hey to each his own! I'm not going to call TDK the greatest film ever, but I think it's very strong and I enjoyed it more than Batman Begins. It's just that I think Bale's Batman voice was by far the worst part of that last movie. You'll also not catch me loving the music more than Danny Elfman's score. Search You Tube for Batman Begins + Danny Elfman and you'll see how much better his Descent into Darkness sounds on that movie! (I'd embed it, but increasingly You Tube is disabling that option).

EDIT: Okay, just read that they plan to reboot Batman after The Dark Knight Rises. Can I just say, that STINKS. This must mean Nolan plans to do irreparable damage to what he's set up so that it cannot serve an ongoing franchise. That's a true same. I now don't care much about anything they do with the movie now. As far as a franchise, it's a lame duck.
    Last edited by gbagok; March 29, 2011 at 06:30pm.

Speak of the devil. While not 100% official, it looks like they might reboot Batman after Nolan's third film.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...night-rises%2F

The odd thing is that he'll still be involved. I really dislike that WB/DC Entertainment are scared to make a superhero movie without a guy who's said he's not a superhero fan.

Hey to each his own! I'm not going to call TDK the greatest film ever, but I think it's very strong and I enjoyed it more than Batman Begins. It's just that I think Bale's Batman voice was by far the worst part of that last movie. You'll also not catch me loving the music more than Danny Elfman's score. Search You Tube for Batman Begins + Danny Elfman and you'll see how much better his Descent into Darkness sounds on that movie! (I'd embed it, but increasingly You Tube is disabling that option).
    I'm not a big fan of any of the 4 pre-Nolan Batman movies but they did get 2 things right imo; Michael Keaton(he may not look the part but he's the best Batman ever imo; Bale may be a better actor but his "Batman voice" was ridiculous) & Elfman's theme(is probably one of the best themes not written by John Williams).

EDIT: Okay, just read that they plan to reboot Batman after The Dark Knight Rises. Can I just say, that STINKS. This must mean Nolan plans to do irreparable damage to what he's set up so that it cannot serve an ongoing franchise. That's a true same. I now don't care much about anything they do with the movie now. As far as a franchise, it's a lame duck.
    I beat you by a minute with that(although your post is still above mine). As much as I love the fact that we might get a JLA movie(although I'm sad to hear a lot of bad buzz from insiders of the Green Lantern movie), 2 things seem odd about this news to me.

1) Why talk about a reboot before the last movie even comes out? That's basically like WB telling the audiences that The Dark Knight Rises doesn't really count.

2) Since WB execs are supposedly upset with the way Nolan is ending his trilogy, why use him as a consultant for the reboot? Besides the fact that he's not exactly an authority on superheroes, I'm assuming the reboot won't be as bleak or "realistic" as his films were anyway if they're gearing it up for a possible JLA movie.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; March 29, 2011 at 06:42pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

Imo it is. As far as I know, I'm still entitled to my own opinion. Let's just agree to disagree. Btw, you're reading wayyy too much into that movie imo. How did it deconstruct our society? Nolan is quite pretentious imo. Wait for my upcoming thread on how the recent Yogi Bear movie was an insightful look at modern America's problems with consumerism & its voracious appetite for unhealthy foods.
    I felt the Joker's words about morality summed us up perfectly. Nolan summed up mankind perfectly in that scene. Backstabbing, self-serving, whose "values" and "morals" are just that... a bad joke.
    And yes, I agree, the boat scene was terrible. People should have killed themselves in that scene. That was completely un-realistic. Thankfully Dent was still corrupted and fell from grace, so the Joker's message was still valid, despite the boat scene.

You're confusing relatable emotions with a "realistic" portrayal of superheroes. I never once said that all superhero movies need to be in dayglo colors with smiling heroes. My issue is when every superhero is given jeans, black leather, and/or an "upgrade" to their costumes. I also feel the need to explain why Batman has a cape or batears is moot. As much as Nolan seems to pride himself on "realism" in his movies, Batman is not realistic. If people feel that superheroes need to be drastically rehauled in order to fit into a movie, maybe they should work with a different genre. Tim Burton's Batman movie embraced superheroes(even though the director didn't personally) & played it straight and was still popular. I didn't like it due to the script(Batman doesn't kill), some of the performances(Gordon was boring and Basinger was annoying), and all of the crummy Prince music, but it did superheroes a lot better than Nolan.
    I could be, who knows. Sometimes it's hard to differentiate between the two.
    Of course I wouldn't like to see every superhero wear black leather or jeans.
    I feel it's best to aproach that stuff on a character by character basis.
    I personally love the movie X-Men leather uniforms. They look really cool to me. Same with Batman's all black body armor suit used in the movies. The looks fit the characters, I feel.
    But for someone like Superman or Spider-Man, that same look wouldn't fit as good, or at all.
    It is a bit jarring that Nolan didn't want Bat-ears however, I'll give you that.
    But I'm personally fine with Nolan explaining where Batman's stuff comes from or what it does. For me it takes nothing away.

I disagree about DC's comics. They may not be the best they've ever been, but there is still a lot of great books coming from them imo. Marvel's books, imo, don't even resemble the characters I used to love anymore.
    There is a lot to like about Marvel as well.
    Morrison's New X-Men was great, as was Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. Messiah Complex was a cool story as well.
    The first half of Straczynski's Spider-Man run was great as well (it went downhill starting with The Other; but before that, solid gold). Spidey even became an Avenger, which made me consider that team for the first time ever.
    On the All-Ages front we had Marvel Adventures (Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Avengers, Hulk, Iron Man...) and the X-Men First Class comics (featuring both Original 5 and the All- New, All-Different teams).
    As for up-coming books, we're geating Fear Itself as well as Schism for the X-Men comics.
    But all this is, of course, my opinion.

As for Superman being broken, I agree with Snyder. Yes, he is.
    But not because he's to powerful or anything. It's his personality that's the problem.
    He's too noble, too clean, too perfect. He has no flaws, like a regular human does.
    He needs more of that. He needs human flaws.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

Speak of the devil. While not 100% official, it looks like they might reboot Batman after Nolan's third film.

1) Why talk about a reboot before the last movie even comes out? That's basically like WB telling the audiences that The Dark Knight Rises doesn't really count.

2) Since WB execs are supposedly upset with the way Nolan is ending his trilogy, why use him as a consultant for the reboot? Besides the fact that he's not exactly an authority on superheroes, I'm assuming the reboot won't be as bleak or "realistic" as his films were anyway if they're gearing it up for a possible JLA movie.
    It's not that, from my perspective, it's that Nolan doesn't want to direct more than 3, and I think Bale also said he's done after 3, Nolan is likely being kept on as a producer because at the moment his name carries a lot of weight (good for WB) and they will want him still attached so they offered him a handsome sum (good for Nolan) they are going to 'reboot' not because they hate where he's leading it(if they weren't happy with him they'd distance themselves from him (singer isn't involved in Superman) , but so that it stands on it's own in a world where there isn't a justice league. it's like Batman Brave and the Bold vs The Batman vs Justice LEague etc. WB aren't crying foul over any of them, it's just time or need or want for a different direction. unlike the Hulk Superman and Spiderman reboots, which are due to poor receptions, this one is so that the character fits into their future plans from the beginning instead of forcing Nolan to shoehorn in references to other superheroes and the JL and ruin the aesthetic of the 3rd movie in reference to the first 2. much better way to treat your director and franchise than Marvel did to Raimi and spiderman.
    The franchise is and will always be BATMAN, not Batman as per (fill in the director) this is a trilogy, a vision of The Bat as per Chris Nolan. I like to look at these movies like the original "Legends of the Dark Knight" comic book, stories weren't necessarily in continuity witht he main titles, it was a sandbox for creators to play in with DC's toys. Batman is a superhero that inspires a LOT of different interpretations, I personally love the gritty crime drama stuff, but I also like the dark gothis supernatural stuff and the sci fi stuff, he fits in so well to so many story lines. within the world of batman there is something for everyone, one of the reasons he's my favourite. he inspires a lot of great storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    nah, he-man should be played by a latino american, many latino's have natural blond hair
    I'd be VERY cool with that, so long as He-Man has a "neutral" accent.
    Last edited by krosfyah; March 29, 2011 at 07:08pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I beat you by a minute with that(although your post is still above mine). As much as I love the fact that we might get a JLA movie(although I'm sad to hear a lot of bad buzz from insiders of the Green Lantern movie), 2 things seem odd about this news to me.

Hmm. I did an edit because no other posts were showing. Wierd.

1, That's how I take it exactly.

2, I'd drop him like a stone frankly. I respect what he's done much less now. It's like hearing Raimi say "well I'm going to ruin everything so we'll have to reboot after the third Spider-Man." It just feels like a waste of a good foundation to me. So no more Freeman as Lucius Fox, no more Michael Caine as Alfred, no rebound for Ra's Al-Gul or continuation of the Joker's conflict with Batman, no adoption and training of Robin or Batgirl. We are limited to what Nolan will do. I don't want to start over, dangit!
    Last edited by gbagok; March 29, 2011 at 07:08pm.

Quote Originally Posted by SLO-MAN View Post
    I felt the Joker's words about morality summed us up perfectly. Nolan summed up mankind perfectly in that scene. Backstabbing, self-serving, whose "values" and "morals" are just that... a bad joke.
    The Joker's speech was fine but it would have made just as much sense in the 70's or 80's. I really don't think it should be looked at as the perfect summation for the 21st century.

There is a lot to like about Marvel as well.
    Morrison's New X-Men was great, as was Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. Messiah Complex was a cool story as well.
    The first half of Straczynski's Spider-Man run was great as well (it went downhill starting with The Other; but before that, solid gold). Spidey even became an Avenger, which made me consider that team for the first time ever.
    I agree with you about Morrison's New X-Men(although I didn't buy Magneto as a junky nor did I know what the hell was going on in the last 4 issues that took place in the future) and JMS' Spidey before JoeyQ forced his opinions into it(Gwen & Norman's kids, The Other, and OMD are all JoeyQ). I used to love Whedon's work but I'm just not a fan of it anymore(except for Serenity). That goes for his Asonishing X-Men as well. I also seem to be in the minority in that I hate the deformed faces Cassaday seems to give every character. The sad thing is that 2 of those 3 guys are working for DC now.

I HATE Bendis' writing but I did like that he made Spidey an official Avenger. I agree with people who think Wolverine doesn't belong on the team but disagree that Spidey doesn't either. He's a loner not by choice but because he's usually trying to manage all of his personal responsibilities.

On the All-Ages front we had Marvel Adventures (Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Avengers, Hulk, Iron Man...) and the X-Men First Class comics (featuring both Original 5 and the All- New, All-Different teams).
    I'm not going to lie and say I read a ton of the Marvel Adventures comics, but, from what I saw, they were either rehashed stories from the 60's/70's/80's with new art or weak stories that were made to capitalize on the latest Marvel movie. I also thought their Avengers title was ridiculous when they put Storm on the team just because the X-Men movies made her a household name.

As for up-coming books, we're geating Fear Itself as well as Schism for the X-Men comics.
    I've given Marvel 100 different "second chances" but I've finally realized that I'm done with the company until new blood is put in charge. I might be curious about Fear Itself if it wasn't written by Fraction(I read his Iron Man & Casanova and just don't like them) and we actually got a hint about the storyline. It may be similar to Age Of Apocalypse or House Of M, but DC's Flashpoint has me even more excited than Blackest Night did.

As for Superman being broken, I agree with Snyder. Yes, he is.
    But not because he's to powerful or anything. It's his personality that's the problem.
    He's too noble, too clean, too perfect. He has no flaws, like a regular human does.
    He needs more of that. He needs human flaws.
    I like that there are still heroes out there. He may not kill(although neither does Batman and people seem to love him), but Superman isn't perfect. He almost killed Brainiac after the villain led to Pa Kent's death. He even went back for petty revenge on a drunk bully way back in 1980's Superman 2. Other than having a happy marriage and making a little more money, I don't see Clark any different than Peter Parker. They both love their family and feel the weight of the world on their shoulders to do all they can to help people.

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    It's not that, from my perspective, it's that Nolan doesn't want to direct more than 3, and I think Bale also said he's done after 3, Nolan is likely being kept on as a producer because at the moment his name carries a lot of weight (good for WB) and they will want him still attached so they offered him a handsome sum (good for Nolan) they are going to 'reboot' not because they hate where he's leading it(if they weren't happy with him they'd distance themselves from him (singer isn't involved in Superman) , but so that it stands on it's own in a world where there isn't a justice league. it's like Batman Brave and the Bold vs The Batman vs Justice LEague etc. WB aren't crying foul over any of them, it's just time or need or want for a different direction. unlike the Hulk Superman and Spiderman reboots, which are due to poor receptions, this one is so that the character fits into their future plans from the beginning instead of forcing Nolan to shoehorn in references to other superheroes and the JL and ruin the aesthetic of the 3rd movie in reference to the first 2.
    Maybe I just misread the intent of the writer, but over at AintItCool(I can't link to it due to all the 4-letter words), they said that WB were nervous if not displeased about the way Nolan was ending his run. Maybe all they meant is that they wanted him to do a 4th movie.

much better way to treat your director and franchise than Marvel did to Raimi and spiderman.
    I could be mistaken but I believe that call was Sony & Avi Arad's(he isn't working for Marvel anymore, just with them) and not Marvel. If Marvel treated anyone unfairly, it was Edward Norton(although that seems to be all "he said/they said").

2, I'd drop him like a stone frankly. I respect what he's done much less now. It's like hearing Raimi say "well I'm going to ruin everything so we'll have to reboot after the third Spider-Man." It just feels like a waste of a good foundation to me. So no more Freeman as Lucius Fox, no more Michael Caine as Alfred, no rebound for Ra's Al-Gul or continuation of the Joker's conflict with Batman, no adoption and training of Robin or Batgirl. We are limited to what Nolan will do. I don't want to start over, dangit!
    If you want to see Robin, Batgirl, or The Joker onscreen again(at least based on past statements from Nolan & Bale), you're going to need a reboot. Nolan has been saying from the beginning that Robin won't appear in his movies(which I'm assuming also meant no Batgirl) and, with Ledger dead, he wasn't planning on showing that character again either.

Hmm. I did an edit because no other posts were showing. Wierd.
    I was just kidding. Who came first doesn't matter. I just said I beat you by a minute since, before I "automerged" a few more posts, the time stamp on my post was a minute before the time stamp on your edit. Neither of us is going to win anything anyway.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; March 29, 2011 at 07:40pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

It's not that, from my perspective, it's that Nolan doesn't want to direct more than 3, and I think Bale also said he's done after 3, Nolan is likely being kept on as a producer because at the moment his name carries a lot of weight (good for WB) and they will want him still attached so they offered him a handsome sum (good for Nolan) they are going to 'reboot' not because they hate where he's leading it(if they weren't happy with him they'd distance themselves from him (singer isn't involved in Superman) , but so that it stands on it's own in a world where there isn't a justice league. it's like Batman Brave and the Bold vs The Batman vs Justice LEague etc. WB aren't crying foul over any of them, it's just time or need or want for a different direction. unlike the Hulk Superman and Spiderman reboots, which are due to poor receptions, this one is so that the character fits into their future plans from the beginning instead of forcing Nolan to shoehorn in references to other superheroes and the JL and ruin the aesthetic of the 3rd movie in reference to the first 2. much better way to treat your director and franchise than Marvel did to Raimi and spiderman.
    To me there's a difference between Nolan and Bale moving on after the third movie and a reboot. What is Nolan going to do with the third movie that makes the world he showed us in the first two incompatible with a JLA team up later? Because right now, nothing we saw in Begins or Knight flat out precludes the more fantastical things that Nolan can't seem to deliver. We haven't seen magic, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. We haven't seen super powers, that doesn't mean they don't exist either. Up to now the first two movies were presented as the beginning of something, a foundation, but now they're a nonstarter because Nolan can't leave things open-ended? Just how bad does he think another director will be, and why doesn't WB take some interest in reconciling that? Sony would have been a lot better off letting Raimi make the third Spider-Man his way but just asking that he leave things open for them to bring in whatever villains they wanted later.

The franchise is and will always be BATMAN, not Batman as per (fill in the director) this is a trilogy, a vision of The Bat as per Chris Nolan. I like to look at these movies like the original "Legends of the Dark Knight" comic book, stories weren't necessarily in continuity witht he main titles, it was a sandbox for creators to play in with DC's toys. Batman is a superhero that inspires a LOT of different interpretations, I personally love the gritty crime drama stuff, but I also like the dark gothis supernatural stuff and the sci fi stuff, he fits in so well to so many story lines. within the world of batman there is something for everyone, one of the reasons he's my favourite. he inspires a lot of great storytelling.
    This isn't telling me that the franchise is Batman. This is telling me this is exclusively Nolan's series and future movies can't live in the same continuity. I don't like to look at this as stand alone sets of movies based on Batman, certainly not as the ideal way for these movies to get made. I'd rather see a unified vision carry over from director to director and that vision be true to the best of the comics even if one movie avoids magic while another embraces it. What I'd rather see is obviously not something WB is able to do though. I'm bummed that this guarantees I'll never see Oldman's Gordon dealing with his daughter becoming a vigilante, or Michael Caine's Alfred watching Wayne adopt "R"ick Grayson and end up training him to become a crime fighter. But mostly, I just think this is a betrayal of how the Begins movie was presented--as the beginning of something more than "Nolan's take on Batman."

If you want to see Robin, Batgirl, or The Joker onscreen again(at least based on past statements from Nolan & Bale), you're going to need a reboot. Nolan has been saying from the beginning that Robin won't appear in his movies(which I'm assuming also meant no Batgirl) and, with Ledger dead, he wasn't planning on showing that character again either.
    We shouldn't need a reboot, just continue the series after Nolan. Nolan walks and he shouldn't be preventing the Joker from coming back then (and I'm not convinced he won't feature the joker still--but I care a lot less since this reboot crap started). They'd already recast Rachel, why is a new Wayne so bad (Bale's the one who is jumping ship there, and let that be on his head). This series was billed Batman's beginning, but now apparently it isn't a lead in to anything and will simply stop.
    I was just kidding. Who came first doesn't matter. I just said I beat you by a minute since, before I "automerged" a few more posts, the time stamp on my post was a minute before the time stamp on your edit. Neither of us is going to win anything anyway.
    But I wanted a pony!

The Joker's speech was fine but it would have made just as much sense in the 70's or 80's. I really don't think it should be looked at as the perfect summation for the 21st century.
    Oh, I didn't just mean this century. As far as society goes I don't think mankind has changed much, if at all. So that line definitely fits any time frame.

I agree with you about Morrison's New X-Men(although I didn't buy Magneto as a junky nor did I know what the hell was going on in the last 4 issues that took place in the future) and JMS' Spidey before JoeyQ forced his opinions into it(Gwen & Norman's kids, The Other, and OMD are all JoeyQ). I used to love Whedon's work but I'm just not a fan of it anymore(except for Serenity). That goes for his Asonishing X-Men as well. I also seem to be in the minority in that I hate the deformed faces Cassaday seems to give every character. The sad thing is that 2 of those 3 guys are working for DC now.

I HATE Bendis' writing but I did like that he made Spidey an official Avenger. I agree with people who think Wolverine doesn't belong on the team but disagree that Spidey doesn't either. He's a loner not by choice but because he's usually trying to manage all of his personal responsibilities.
    I like Bendis. Ultimate Spider-Man has remained consistently good for over 10 years now, even through and after Ultimatum (the less said about that crossover the better...).
    And I definitely don't like Wolverine on the Avengers. I like him as a character, but he's too over-exposed as it is already. It did make for a great joke in an internet cartoon though.

I'm not going to lie and say I read a ton of the Marvel Adventures comics, but, from what I saw, they were either rehashed stories from the 60's/70's/80's with new art or weak stories that were made to capitalize on the latest Marvel movie. I also thought their Avengers title was ridiculous when they put Storm on the team just because the X-Men movies made her a household name.
    It started as old 60's stories with new art (originally called Marvel Age), but soon evolved to feature brand new stories. And yes, Storm in the Avengers was all kinds of wrong and ridiculous. I wasn't a big fan of Storm to begin with and Halle Berry killed her for me for good.

I've given Marvel 100 different "second chances" but I've finally realized that I'm done with the company until new blood is put in charge. I might be curious about Fear Itself if it wasn't written by Fraction(I read his Iron Man & Casanova and just don't like them) and we actually got a hint about the storyline. It may be similar to Age Of Apocalypse or House Of M, but DC's Flashpoint has me even more excited than Blackest Night did.
    I don't know what Flashpoint is, but I hope it's not another reality changing crisis.
    Seriously, if there's one thing I absolutely hate about DC, it's the constant reality re-writing. This story is canon, no wait , now it's not anymore, wait now it's canon again. It's a headache keeping continuity with DC.

I like that there are still heroes out there. He may not kill(although neither does Batman and people seem to love him), but Superman isn't perfect. He almost killed Brainiac after the villain led to Pa Kent's death. He even went back for petty revenge on a drunk bully way back in 1980's Superman 2. Other than having a happy marriage and making a little more money, I don't see Clark any different than Peter Parker. They both love their family and feel the weight of the world on their shoulders to do all they can to help people.
    True. I also liked how he angrily stormed into Luthor's office after Luthor tortured Lana, back in the Byrne era. Unfortunately such moments of humanity get lost in people's minds often.

Maybe I just misread the intent of the writer, but over at AintItCool(I can't link to it due to all the 4-letter words), they said that WB were nervous if not displeased about the way Nolan was ending his run. Maybe all they meant is that they wanted him to do a 4th movie.
    Man, I hope he's not ending the trilogy on a downer ending or something.
    It was fine with TDK, but the finale has to be uplifting. Dawn must come as Dent said.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

We shouldn't need a reboot, just continue the series after Nolan. Nolan walks and he shouldn't be preventing the Joker from coming back then (and I'm not convinced he won't feature the joker still--but I care a lot less since this reboot crap started). They'd already recast Rachel, why is a new Wayne so bad (Bale's the one who is jumping ship there, and let that be on his head). This series was billed Batman's beginning, but now apparently it isn't a lead in to anything and will simply stop.
    That's true that we don't need a reboot. I'd be open for them to continue Nolan's world with more of a superhero feel to it. There's good & bad with a reboot. It's cool to be in on the beginning of a brand new franchise, but then it's also scary that the reboot might take the things one may not have liked about the past interpretation and make it even worse(like, imo, Spidey's new costume in his rebooted movie).

But I wanted a pony!
    Hey! Who doesn't?

And yes, Storm in the Avengers was all kinds of wrong and ridiculous. I wasn't a big fan of Storm to begin with and Halle Berry killed her for me for good.
    I'm with you on Storm. You seem to be much more of an X-Men fan than I ever was(I liked some of the mutants but usually only bought the spinoff titles like Alpha Flight, X-Force, X-Factor, and Wolverine), but I was never a huge Storm fan(although I've found her relationship with Forge to be touching; too bad they forced her & Black Panther together instead). Halle Berry is an awful actress who somehow won an Oscar. I liked the first X-Men movie a lot but between her ruining that toad line written by Joss Whedon as well as the way she went back & forth with her African accent, my lack of enthusiasm for the character was hurt even more.

I don't know what Flashpoint is, but I hope it's not another reality changing crisis.
    Seriously, if there's one thing I absolutely hate about DC, it's the constant reality re-writing. This story is canon, no wait , now it's not anymore, wait now it's canon again. It's a headache keeping continuity with DC.
    I understand the disdain for the way DC changes continuity quite frequently. It gets pretty hard to keep it all straight at times. What I do like is rather than just changing canon without any explanation(Spider-Woman's origin, whether Chaos magic exists, Iron Man's origin is now set in the Middle East, Black Panther suddenly has a sister out of nowhere), it is usually done through a storyline. Sure, the explanations may be cheesy(because Superboy Prime punched a wall), but it makes it so everything that came before still happened. It's just that reality was shifted or merged with another one. That still doesn't make it any easier for a new reader(or even an old reader) to understand, though.

Man, I hope he's not ending the trilogy on a downer ending or something.
    It was fine with TDK, but the finale has to be uplifting. Dawn must come as Dent said.
    Since Bane is in it, I wonder if Batman having his back broken will be a part of the plot.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; March 29, 2011 at 08:56pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

I'm with you on Storm. You seem to be much more of an X-Men fan than I ever was(I liked some of the mutants but usually only bought the spinoff titles like Alpha Flight, X-Force, X-Factor, and Wolverine), but I was never a huge Storm fan(although I've found her relationship with Forge to be touching; too bad they forced her & Black Panther together instead). Halle Berry is an awful actress who somehow won an Oscar. I liked the first X-Men movie a lot but between her ruining that toad line written by Joss Whedon as well as the way she went back & forth with her African accent, my lack of enthusiasm for the character was hurt even more.
    Yeah, I'm a big X-Men fan. And Halle was definitely the weak link in the movies. It's sad she got more push than James Marsden, who I think is not just the better actor but also more charismatic. Unfortunately the movies didn't give him much chance to shine.

I understand the disdain for the way DC changes continuity quite frequently. It gets pretty hard to keep it all straight at times. What I do like is rather than just changing canon without any explanation(Spider-Woman's origin, whether Chaos magic exists, Iron Man's origin is now set in the Middle East, Black Panther suddenly has a sister out of nowhere), it is usually done through a storyline. Sure, the explanations may be cheesy(because Superboy Prime punched a wall), but it makes it so everything that came before still happened. It's just that reality was shifted or merged with another one. That still doesn't make it any easier for a new reader(or even an old reader) to understand, though.
    Marvel definitely has it's fair share of alternate universes and retcons, no doubt.
    But what I like with Marvel is that they always use the same characters. Steve Rogers is the same Steve Rogers created by Simon and Kirby. With DC the Superman that was created by Siegel and Shuster was killed, then brought back as a zombie and than killed again, while the current Superman is some alternate version of the original. I don't know if it's even Byrne's Superman. Is the Man Of Steel mini-series still in continuity?

Since Bane is in it, I wonder if Batman having his back broken will be a part of the plot.
    If it happens mid-way through the movie and Batman makes a recovery and a triumphant return for the final battle, then I'm fine with it, but if the series ends with Bruce in a wheelchair, then that'll majorly suck.

Marvel definitely has it's fair share of alternate universes and retcons, no doubt.
    But what I like with Marvel is that they always use the same characters. Steve Rogers is the same Steve Rogers created by Simon and Kirby. With DC the Superman that was created by Siegel and Shuster was killed, then brought back as a zombie and than killed again, while the current Superman is some alternate version of the original. I don't know if it's even Byrne's Superman. Is the Man Of Steel mini-series still in continuity?
    Man of Steel is in continuity as much as that it was Superman before Infinite Crisis. No one may remember it happening, but there is a reason why Superman has been altered since then(again, the reason may be stupid, but an in-story reason was still given).

I get what you're saying about Marvel keeping it the same guy and I like that as well. To be honest, neither Marvel or DC's way is perfect. Unless you keep the status quo the same forever(like Archie Comics), the only way you can keep telling stories in the same universe for decades on end is either by rebooting or aging everyone in real time. DC reboots usually happen within a storyline and Marvel gives soft reboots that usually don't change much about the characters other than the era that they're from(before JoeyQ that is). Both give rise to problems within the continuity. Luckily they do that though since, if they aged everyone in real time, Spidey would be the age of my Dad and Superman & Batman would be over 70.

JOIN THE GROUP...

To me there's a difference between Nolan and Bale moving on after the third movie and a reboot. What is Nolan going to do with the third movie that makes the world he showed us in the first two incompatible with a JLA team up later? Because right now, nothing we saw in Begins or Knight flat out precludes the more fantastical things that Nolan can't seem to deliver. We haven't seen magic, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. We haven't seen super powers, that doesn't mean they don't exist either. Up to now the first two movies were presented as the beginning of something, a foundation, but now they're a nonstarter because Nolan can't leave things open-ended? Just how bad does he think another director will be, and why doesn't WB take some interest in reconciling that? Sony would have been a lot better off letting Raimi make the third Spider-Man his way but just asking that he leave things open for them to bring in whatever villains they wanted later.
    It's not so much that as they'd probably like to do JL as Marvel is with Avengers, start building it with things dropped in the solo movies. if you take the two Burton batman movies, the continuity from one to the other was there, when schumacher came on with forever Burton was a producer but it was markedly different than the first two, then B&R was it's own movie with Alfred robin and Gordon being the only real constants. not REALLY a reboot but it definitely was way different in tone than the first movie. I think thats the thing, this series has a look and feel that they want to keep in it. I think that's fine. again it's like Legends of the Dark knight to me. most of those stories were pre-robin and not necessarily in continuity.

This isn't telling me that the franchise is Batman. This is telling me this is exclusively Nolan's series and future movies can't live in the same continuity. I don't like to look at this as stand alone sets of movies based on Batman, certainly not as the ideal way for these movies to get made. I'd rather see a unified vision carry over from director to director and that vision be true to the best of the comics even if one movie avoids magic while another embraces it. What I'd rather see is obviously not something WB is able to do though. I'm bummed that this guarantees I'll never see Oldman's Gordon dealing with his daughter becoming a vigilante, or Michael Caine's Alfred watching Wayne adopt "R"ick Grayson and end up training him to become a crime fighter. But mostly, I just think this is a betrayal of how the Begins movie was presented--as the beginning of something more than "Nolan's take on Batman."
    Maybe for you but not for other fans. again we all have our own take on these things. for me I'm ok with it being more 'reality based' Batman's character works that way and in others.

But I wanted a pony!
    MY take on Batman Begins, was they were bringing respect back to the character after what Schumacher did. the title was two fold, it was his orign in this universe, and it erased what Schmacher did. a statement to the public about what was being done. not a statement of a never-ending franchise.

It's not a tv series, it's a movie series, we're lucky to get as far as a trilogy in a movieverse. Outside of Harry Potter and James Bond (who's had reboots of sorts himself) what other characters have long running series? Also we have to allow actors and directors the freedom to do something else. as much as we want something to continue, as much as they've gotten success from something, it's natural to want to explore new arenas. but outside of that, other writers and directors want to put their own spin on the characters (actors too) otherwise we get superman returns, someone trying to emulate someone else's style and it falls flat. better to present a different take IMO. my only issue is I don't want to see the origin story yet again.

And the movie is called the dark knight rises, I can't imagine it ending on a down note. also the term reboot is thrown around as soon as a new creative team is annouced, maybe it's not a reboot, like they said the daredevil movie takes place after the first one, so it doesn't REALLY erase it. even though its a brand new team.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    They probably want a reboot because of the super-realistic angle that Nolan ran his movies, limiting alot of crossover possibilities. They probably want a Batman who can team up with Superman or be in the Justice League. Besides, the whole Heath Ledger thing has stopped the Joker from reappearing, so they can't use his worst enemy.

I'll bet they kept Nolan around for his future input.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar

How stupid does WB/DC think the audience is?? Is it THAT impossible to use the Batman created in the Nolan films and transition him into the film universe which will play host to this supposed Justice League film in 2013??

No, of course they have to reboot Batman, AGAIN!!! We have to be told the origin story...AGAIN!!!

I tell ya, the way they are moving, I guess this means they'll have to reboot Superman again in another five years, and probably the same with Green Lantern because Hollywood writers are too stupid to be able to craft a convincing enough way to continue the already established film characters, like Batman from Nolan's films, and need to restart everything.

Although Batman Forever and Batman & Robin were awful films, WB and the writers treated these two films as continuations of the universe created in 1989's Batman and 1990-something's Batman Returns, even though Batman was recast TWICE!!

It isn't impossible to recast Nolan's Batman and NOT reboot the franchise. And, for the next Batman, the white lenses NEED to stay in place on the cowl AT ALL TIMES!!! Bruce Wayne wouldn't spend a bunch of time putting on black eye shadow just to fight crime when his mask has built in ways to disguise his eyes. About damn time the comic book look makes it to the film version, for keeps!!
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

it's funny people were this upset when Nolan cast Ledger as Joker too. Batman is my FAVOURITE comic book character, I refuse absolutely to see Batman and Robin because of this, I'm a die hard Bat-Fan and I say give it a chance. I really don't see why we've gotten so spoiled over the last 11 years as pop culture fans that we can't accept the end of one era and the start of a new. So long as the new era still respects the property, I'm open to it. Lots of people hated The Batman cartoon, it was by no means the masterpiece of BTAS but it was fun and it respected the bat. we get so selfish as fans.

This news gives me hope that we'll have white eyes and a grey and black suit. I just hope the folks in charge are smart enough to know WE KNOW the story already, no need to tell another origin.
    Last edited by krosfyah; March 30, 2011 at 07:29am.

Fear is faith in failure

Batman is my FAVOURITE comic book character, I refuse absolutely to see Batman and Robin because of this, I'm a die hard Bat-Fan and I say give it a chance.
    You say give it a chance but you still refuse to see Batman & Robin. If you've seen the 60's TV show, you've basically seen Batman & Robin. It wasn't a great movie, but if you look at it like a big budget version of what Adam West did, it's not as bad as everyone says imo. I've not only seen a ton of worse movies, I've even seen superhero movies that were much worse imo. I'd rather watch Batman & Robin than have to sit through Ghost Rider or Elektra again.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Man of Steel is in continuity as much as that it was Superman before Infinite Crisis. No one may remember it happening, but there is a reason why Superman has been altered since then(again, the reason may be stupid, but an in-story reason was still given).

I get what you're saying about Marvel keeping it the same guy and I like that as well. To be honest, neither Marvel or DC's way is perfect. Unless you keep the status quo the same forever(like Archie Comics), the only way you can keep telling stories in the same universe for decades on end is either by rebooting or aging everyone in real time. DC reboots usually happen within a storyline and Marvel gives soft reboots that usually don't change much about the characters other than the era that they're from(before JoeyQ that is). Both give rise to problems within the continuity. Luckily they do that though since, if they aged everyone in real time, Spidey would be the age of my Dad and Superman & Batman would be over 70.
    So Man Of Steel still happened, but no one can remember it after Infinite Crisis? I heard that there was a new origin story for Superman, and that Clark being Superboy is now again in continuity.
    You know, it's ironic. Crisis On Infinite Earths was meant to streamline and simplify DC continuity, and yet I find myself understanding the pre-crisis stuff much easier than the post-crisis stuff. The Golden age stuff is it's own world, the Silver Age it's own....
    Easy.
    As for Marvel, I hear the official word is, the modern Marvel saga (60's to now) is 10 years long. So if Peter became Spider-Man at 15 in the 60's, he's 25 in the comics now.

I agree, neither company has a perfect way of handling long continuity.
    I personally found it best to just ignore the finer details and just focus on the general happenings of the saga.

You say give it a chance but you still refuse to see Batman & Robin. If you've seen the 60's TV show, you've basically seen Batman & Robin. It wasn't a great movie, but if you look at it like a big budget version of what Adam West did, it's not as bad as everyone says imo. I've not only seen a ton of worse movies, I've even seen superhero movies that were much worse imo. I'd rather watch Batman & Robin than have to sit through Ghost Rider or Elektra again.
    That is exactly how I view Batman & Robin. As a big homage to the 60's tv show (which, incidentally, introduced me to Batman in the first place). I don't care what anyone says, the Bat Credit Card is just as hilariously awesome as the Bomb You Somedays Can't Get Rid Off and the Shark Repelant Bat Spray.
    And on a more emotional note, B&R superbly showed just how close and important Alfred is to Bruce.

Well, rebooted Batman or not, Snyder's Man Of Steel won't be crossing over with any superheroes.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...and-on-its-own

I know it won't happen, but I'd love to wake up tomorrow to find out Snyder is off the movie.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Well, rebooted Batman or not, Snyder's Man Of Steel won't be crossing over with any superheroes.

I know it won't happen, but I'd love to wake up tomorrow to find out Snyder is off the movie.
    I hate this news. So stupid. Bale would never be in a Justice League movie though. Ego = too big. It would be cool to see Bale, Reynolds and Cavil on the big screen together.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I hate this news. So stupid. Bale would never be in a Justice League movie though. Ego = too big. It would be cool to see Bale, Reynolds and Cavil on the big screen together.
    I can even understand Bale not being in it since his version of Batman is "realistic"(and, due to the upcoming reboot, will be yesterday's news after the third movie), but why would WB not use a newly rebooted Superman for the future JLA movie? Snyder can't have that much pull. His owl movie, besides being a snoozefest imo, didn't do very well domestically. We're still waiting to see if Sucker Punch has any legs despite critics hating it.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Maybe for you but not for other fans. again we all have our own take on these things. for me I'm ok with it being more 'reality based' Batman's character works that way and in others.
    Maybe for me, and I suspect for a larger majority of moviegoers as well. More than a few reviewers expressed the belief that the franchise was restarted when Begins came out. I don't think many people thought it would be exclusively a Nolan world for three movies before ending and going into another reboot.

it's funny people were this upset when Nolan cast Ledger as Joker too. Batman is my FAVOURITE comic book character, I refuse absolutely to see Batman and Robin because of this, I'm a die hard Bat-Fan and I say give it a chance. I really don't see why we've gotten so spoiled over the last 11 years as pop culture fans that we can't accept the end of one era and the start of a new. So long as the new era still respects the property, I'm open to it. Lots of people hated The Batman cartoon, it was by no means the masterpiece of BTAS but it was fun and it respected the bat. we get so selfish as fans.

This news gives me hope that we'll have white eyes and a grey and black suit. I just hope the folks in charge are smart enough to know WE KNOW the story already, no need to tell another origin.
    I'm sorry to say that I find "we're spoiled" to be a mildly offensive cop out. We don't like it because it's unnecessary. Reboots are becoming standard operating procedure, and I think we're free to express our distaste for that practice when it comes so prematurely. It remains to be seen if Nolan makes a worthwhile third movie or not, certainly history is against him (and even if he succeeds, I suspect some vocal people will later say the third one was the weakest in retrospect as they now do even with LOTR). Maybe the story will be as ruined as X-Men and Spider-Man were after their third films. For me, this cuts my interest in the next movie way down. Why? Well look at Harry Potter. The characters had seven movies (and will have an 8th) in which to live in and breathe. It's not spoiled to ask for that now that it's been proven to work! THIS incarnation had enough momentum to go past Nolan's self-imposed ending. You wouldn't hear complaints about the "end of an era" if people felt this had been an era ready to end. The era it turns out was a lot smaller in vision than many of us thought.

I get this even less than the Batman news since it's being rebooted at the same time as this team up movie is being planned. WB should be pushing for an integrated series now since it can. What's the point of rebooting Batman then, or is JLA going to be the start of his rebooted franchise too? Why bother with a stand alone Superman franchise then?

Wasn't their whole reason for deep sixing George Miller's JLA movie a few years ago so that they could lead up to such a project with solo movies for each character? That must have been a cover for something else, because now they're basically talking about that very same project. If they have and they're going to move forward without George Miller, then this seems to me like the worst development for DC movies since the (forgotten?) announcement that all their movies would be dark like the Dark Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I don't see any good reason not to make Cavill and Reynolds part of a united movie world (unless the GL movie is so bad that we'd rather forget it)--but it's been known for a while that Bale wouldn't do it. Frankly, I'd be happy to lose him if it means Batman won't sound like an asthmatic Rambo. Wasn't Armie Hammer lined up to play Batman in the JLA movie for Miller? He's got real movie cred now, maybe his contract can be dusted off and enforced.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar

I suppose in Snyder's movie, Superman will be some stupid ninja type character since Snyder says his Superman will be "physical" in some aspect.

WB has their DC films all ass backwards. They WON'T have any continuity between any of the Batman and Superman films and instead just plan to seemingly keep rebooting these franchises once the directors and actors decide to move on.

I'm looking forward more to the Avengers film from Marvel BECAUSE all of the build up and continuity between all of the films that stars each Avenger (Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America) because it makes everything a part of the same film universe and it is more entertaining that way.

I could care less whether or not there will be a Justice League film after hearing the Batman and Superman franchises will need to be rebooted because of it.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.