Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: The Man Of Steel/Superman Movie Reboot Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Not that hard for a guy with super strength who can also fly.

I was more put off by his lifting an entire continent of kryptonite that had only minutes earlier been killing him (an amazingly boring climax).
    i don't know. i just see it as utterly destroying the laws of physics. at least when superman flies, you can say that he is pushing himself off the ground. it's like an extension of jumping. the boat lifting scene is just ludicrous though. if i remember correctly, he's standing on the deck, grabs a rail, and with a tug the entire boat is lifted into the air. keep in mind he is still standing atop the deck. this is impossible. strength does not play a role in this. if you found the strongest person in the world and told him to stand on a sheet of paper, he could never lift that sheet up.

but i agree, lifting the kryptonite island was dumb. i had a friend try to convince me that he supercharged himself with the sun's rays, but that was a weak excuse. he was still well within the earth's atmosphere. the extra power he would have absorbed from going a few hundred feet closer to the sun would be negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
    i don't know. i just see it as utterly destroying the laws of physics. at least when superman flies, you can say that he is pushing himself off the ground. it's like an extension of jumping. the boat lifting scene is just ludicrous though. if i remember correctly, he's standing on the deck, grabs a rail, and with a tug the entire boat is lifted into the air. keep in mind he is still standing atop the deck. this is impossible. strength does not play a role in this. if you found the strongest person in the world and told him to stand on a sheet of paper, he could never lift that sheet up.
    Superman's flying has nothing to do with jumping. He defies the laws of physics, pure and simple. So even if he's standing on top of something, if his body is in flight mode, he can lift it into the air.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
    but i agree, lifting the kryptonite island was dumb. i had a friend try to convince me that he supercharged himself with the sun's rays, but that was a weak excuse. he was still well within the earth's atmosphere. the extra power he would have absorbed from going a few hundred feet closer to the sun would be negligible.
    I myself think it was Adrenaline. It allowed him to ignore the harmful effects of the Kryptonite and to lift the whole island with his super strength, which due to Adrenaline was even more strong then before. Once the danger was over and his Adrenaline levels subsided the prolonged exposure to Kryptonite finally got to him and he passed out.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

Depends what his flight is a cause of, some comic versions have it as a mild form of telekinesis others as a result of his strength. The later I think his ability to continue to propel himself is explained by he constantly vibrates himself as superspeed.

That or that was some fan material I read on all that.
    Last edited by wyldman11; April 7, 2011 at 10:50pm.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    If Sucker Punch had been released earlier, I don't think WB would have even signed Snyder up for this movie. Between Nolan's penchant for realism and Snyder basically Michael Bay with a little more talent, I'm scared for my favorite superhero.

I guess we will have to wait and see. I'm really not excited for this movie much. I will give it a chance, but I'm iffy when it comes to these claims from Snyder something along the lines where it will be Superman but "different"

I'm all for a Superman in film who will have some decent action scenes against villains here in the 21st century. But, I don't want Superman to be some martial artist. It just doesn't work. For heroes like Batman and even some other super powered heroes it works just fine, but Superman............well where would a kid raised in a Kansas town on a farm find time to learn the ways of hong kong phooey??

And, please, I'd rather NOT have a retread of Zod just yet. I'm leaning more towards Darkseid. After Smallville's recent lack of build-up and lack of screen time for their version of Darkseid (currently some dark fog phantom creature that infects people with his influence and even comes to possess their bodies) that I'd like to see a big budget Superman film tackle Darkseid with the 'New Gods' version.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Though I can watch Bryan Singer's X-Men over and over, and it never bores me... his Superman was awful. The only thing that held my interest was Brandon Routh. It had no redeeming qualities, and nothing that made it rewatchable.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Zach can do, since most of his work has been visually sugar so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    Though I can watch Bryan Singer's X-Men over and over, and it never bores me... his Superman was awful. The only thing that held my interest was Brandon Routh. It had no redeeming qualities, and nothing that made it rewatchable.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Zach can do, since most of his work has been visually sugar so far.
    The only part in Superman Returns that I can watch over and over is the airplane scene. I always imagined seeing something similar ever since reading the Man of Steel miniseries comic all those years ago. If something was done similar to that in the new film to basically introduce Superman to the world. It would be awesome!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Oh, good. I was afraid they might not do something new.

I'd really love to see Brainiac in a Supes movie. Just once.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Aw jeez!
    I just watched Sucker Punch and I liked a lot the visual of it and I could not avoid thinking how Superman will be portrayed in something like that against Brainiac or Doomsday; but I must confess that the story developing was quite weak, since it's some kind of twisted version of "a flew over the cuckoo's nest".
    Now that we have the unoriginal Zod villain which unless destroys half the Earth in a DragonBall alike fight, it will be an unimaginative poser as world ruler.
    God! I was wishing to finally see something unstoppable, larger than life in this universe Brainiac to challenge Superman both physically and emotoionally.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Well, I wasn't planning on seeing this Superman film, and the fact that they are using Zod again, cinches the deal.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

I'm fine with Zod, as long as he doesn't do a Terrence Stamp impression or wear the same costume.

I was hoping Viggo Mortensen would get the part, but at least it's someone Superman can punch.

DCAU's Brainiac with Kandor or the crazy astronauts Bar-El and Lilo would have been fresher Kryptonian threats to bring in for a new movie than Zod. I happen to like Zod as a villain, but geesh, after everything with Singer copying the Donner films and being kicked out for doing that, they're going to continue to copy Donner's stuff with General Zod in their reboot? They just better not dump the John Williams score or there shall be no forgiveness!

I'm fine with Zod, as long as he doesn't do a Terrence Stamp impression or wear the same costume.

I was hoping Viggo Mortensen would get the part, but at least it's someone Superman can punch.
    My trouble is Stamp is Zod to me, and it really takes a strong personality/screen presence for another actor to top that and make the role his own. Shannon seems more like a Metallo to me. Mortensen would have been interesting, I remember he made a very sinister Lucifer in The Prophecy.

I'm just not a fan of any of the iconic Donner stuff, so I'm hoping it's a re-imagining of Zod, the same way Nolan re-imagined Joker and made that version iconic.

One thing I am looking forward to is Snyder's action sequences between Supes and Zod.

I'm just not a fan of any of the iconic Donner stuff, so I'm hoping it's a re-imagining of Zod, the same way Nolan re-imagined Joker and made that version iconic.
    I think that could be a very tall order though. Nolan's not the director, Ledger isn't the actor, and Zod isn't the Joker. I don't know about Shannon, he certainly felt like a psycho in Wolrd Trade Center (when he was supposed to be a devoted Christian aid-worker, go fig), so he may or may not have presence. But I'm not sure Nolan with his "real world" take will be a good influence on Superman, and besides that who knows if whatever magic formula worked for him with Batman will work for Snyder on Superman. And finally, Nolan and Ledger may have done something new with the Joker on screen, but they had a lot more source material in comics to draw from than exists for Zod.

Nolan has had a real world take on one project and a very appropriate one at that, which has been extremely successful. But it doesn't mean that's that's only scope he has on things. All his movies aren't even the same.

It's a little too premature to discount anything on Zod right now because we don't know the take and look of the film. Zod could be a carbon copy of Terrence Stamp or something completely different to fit Znyder's larger than life visuals.

Darkseid would have been a better villain to put on film. Zod's been done to death. And, no Doomsday.
    (Hordak Alpha))

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    Darkseid would have been a better villain to put on film. Zod's been done to death. And, no Doomsday.
    No, actually he hasn't been done to death. Zod was only in one movie, and in season nine of Smallville. The only Superman villain to be done to death is Lex.

I have no problems with them starting off with Zod.

Part of the problem with many of Superman's bigger villains like Darksied is they work better with an established Superman.

I would rather see Brainiac personally.

Not sure why they are going with Zod, Nolan pulled out the Joker for the second Batman movie and used Scarecrow and Ras Al Ghul for his first, who both weren't well known amongst general public.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    ? They just better not dump the John Williams score or there shall be no forgiveness!
    See I'm the other way around. I don't mind the re-inventing of the character, new story, new actors, etc...but to me the John Williams theme IS part of the character. IMO might as well change the "S" as change the theme*.

* - If they do change the theme though, I'm cool with it

EDIT

Does anyone else find it odd that they used Reeve on the Yahoo headline???

Attached Images Attached Images
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    Does anyone else find it odd that they used Reeve on the Yahoo headline???

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...1&d=1302536123

Nope, not odd at all. The general public is much more familiar with Christopher Reeve as Superman. Plus, I doubt they have access to any promotional artwork for the new movie.

Nolan has had a real world take on one project and a very appropriate one at that, which has been extremely successful. But it doesn't mean that's that's only scope he has on things. All his movies aren't even the same.
    I'd say it's debatable how "real" the world was, and more so how "appropriate" that would be for the supernatural or other elements of Batman's world. I don't think it was so great with Ra's, while it was very well suited to Joker and gangsters as villains. If Bale's Batman voice was "real," then please stop because that was not successful no matter how much money they made.
    It's a little too premature to discount anything on Zod right now because we don't know the take and look of the film. Zod could be a carbon copy of Terrence Stamp or something completely different to fit Znyder's larger than life visuals.
    Well my point was there's not much to discount about Zod. Much of what was done with the Joker in TDK has been done in the comics at one time or another, he's a very popular character that has a pop culture resonance on the level of Hannibal Lector, while Zod hasn't been worked on nearly as much. Throw out the Stamp performance and you're throwing out most of the gravitas for using the character I think. Good luck reinventing him, but I'd be more impressed if they took a new character and built that up instead.

BTW, here's Shannon talking a bit about the role. Not much of interest, but it's kind of funny to hear.

I'm still not happy that Nolan & Suckerpunch are involved with my favorite superhero, but Michael Shannon could be quite good in this. He's a very good actor. His performance in Revolutionary Road was insanely good even though I wasn't too fond of the film itself.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

All I know is, this Superman film will have a theme tune just as un-memorable as whatever one has been used in the Nolan Batman films. Why fix something that isn't broken?? Williams' 'Superman' and Elfman's 'Batman' ARE the definitive themes for me. No other substitutes will do.
    (Hordak Alpha))

Found some recent images of Henry Cavill on his way to do some re-shoots for the film, the Immortals. As you can see he is getting a lot larger! And if I remember they're to start shooting the new Superman in 3 to 4 months. So he I'm sure he will looks good in the part.

I so can't wait to see what they do for the costume. I think that is what all want to see! Cavill in costume, and not being a photoshopped image.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Woah, he certainly is getting his beef on!

Also, is that a phone in his pocket, or is he happy to see that paparazzo? His face says no, but his pants say yes.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah