Thread: Could 'Classic Media' Release Filmation Characters as Toys?

Could 'Classic Media' Release Filmation Characters as Toys?

Could Classic Media release figures of a Look-ee, ShadowWeaver or Madame Razz as NECA or McFarlane figures, for example?
    "This is a rather shameless promotion"

"Worked on me!"

"Me too!"

Quote Originally Posted by Moominsthenmotu View Post
    Could Classic Media release figures of a Look-ee, ShadowWeaver or Madame Razz as NECA or McFarlane figures, for example?
    Nope, because only Mattel has the rights to create toys within the MOTU/POP brands.
    Yet, they still need license from CM to do Filmation only characters, but CM coulnd't have anyone else outside Mattel doing them.
    I know it's confusing, but that's how it is
    (BTW, Mattel can do Loo-Kee as he existed as an action figure before)

I believe they can do statues of any character that appeared in Filmation, but they can only do non-Mattel characters as figures. (i.e. Scorpia, Shadow Weaver, Octavia etc.) But I don't think they could market them as POP characters.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I believe they can do statues of any character that appeared in Filmation, but they can only do non-Mattel characters as figures. (i.e. Scorpia, Shadow Weaver, Octavia etc.) But I don't think they could market them as POP characters.
    That would be my understanding - they couldn't use any Mattel trademarks in the process, including "He-Man", "Masters of the Universe", "She-Ra", "Princess of Power" and so on, but they COULD do toys of characters Mattel has no claim to.

It just seems like such a waste. Mattel needs to gain the rights so we can finally have figures we've waited almost 30 years for...

motu

So what figures can't mattel make that people want?
    Feedback thread

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

Formerly known as facelessone101. Now fisto power

Email facelessone@he-fans.org

Quote Originally Posted by Facelessone101 View Post
    So what figures can't mattel make that people want?
    Start with these:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=173175
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=205580
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/tags...tion+%26+motuc

thanks

Thanks reboot
    Feedback thread

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

Formerly known as facelessone101. Now fisto power

Email facelessone@he-fans.org

As much as I would love to have a Shadow Weaver and other filmation characters, I really don't think they are worth the cost Mattel would have to pay for them compared to the return they would get becoming figures. I mean Mattel does not even go above and beyond with what they do have the rights to, no comics, no mini-comics, no shirts, no games, no cartoons, no novels, etc.

If they do fork out the cash for Filmation, I doubt MOTU will have any funding left to get any of the above done.

Now, I would love for Classic Media to farm out for some He-man and She-ra Filmation replica's something that Mattel would not do, a life size steel Sword of Power/Protection. Skeletor's Havoc Staff, Evil-Lyn's wand. I mean The JLA Trophy Room/LOTR Replica's, but with MOTU/POP. He-man's Shield, She-ra's tierra, Bow's bow, Catra's mask, Zodak's Helmet, the list can go on forever, I think that would be awesome, but not sure how well that will sell, since it seems that Masters sadly only has a cult following and nothing more to warrant any company putting any real money in the product.

I don't think Mattel will have to fork over too much cash if this deal with Classic Media goes through regarding some of their other rights, etc. They'd be complete fools to pass up the rights to Filmation's MOTU/POP characters since they're already opening the door in other areas.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Nope, because only Mattel has the rights to create toys within the MOTU/POP brands.
    Yet, they still need license from CM to do Filmation only characters, but CM coulnd't have anyone else outside Mattel doing them.
    I know it's confusing, but that's how it is
    (BTW, Mattel can do Loo-Kee as he existed as an action figure before)
    Could Classic Media release those Filmation characters under something called "Filmation Heroes" or Lou Schiemer Classics" then? Not use the MOTU or POP banner?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Could Classic Media release those Filmation characters under something called "Filmation Heroes" or Lou Schiemer Classics" then? Not use the MOTU or POP banner?
    On one hand, I can see why you'd take the "by whatever means necessary" role to get these figures out there, but on the other hand, it would be kind of silly to again break up the line.

And please don't say, "Better something than nothing." People can make customs, after all.

Either let's do FILMation MOTUC by the Horsemen or just let it be.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    On one hand, I can see why you'd take the "by whatever means necessary" role to get these figures out there, but on the other hand, it would be kind of silly to again break up the line.

And please don't say, "Better something than nothing." People can make customs, after all.

Either let's do FILMation MOTUC by the Horsemen or just let it be.
    I agree. I'm just wondering if Classic Media could do that.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I'm honestly not sure.
    Logic would suggest they can't, as they are part of the MOTU/POP franchises, but only lawyers know

Come to think of it, they couldn't do Filmation-accurate Shadow Weaver, Scorpia, Octavia, etc for one specific reason - the Horde symbols. They'd have to take those off to do non-Mattel-approved figures, since the Horde emblem is a Mattel TM, yes?

'Playmates' had the toy rights to 'Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles', yet NECA were able to produce toys - clolour and B&W variants - of the original 'Eastman and Laird'-comic-style TMNTs.
    If Classic Media did commission a 'Lou Scheimer Presents' line it is conceivable that as well as Filmation characters such as 'Bravestarr', 'The Groovy Ghoulies' and 'The Ghost Busters' (again, Mattel-toe-treading!) it could conceivably release 'Scorpia', 'Batros', 'Shadow Weaver' and others as Filmation generated characters, they needn't have the POP or MOTU logos.
    Just a thought! Whatever the case, I'll always bow to Emiliano's encyclopedic knowledgeon the matter!
    "This is a rather shameless promotion"

"Worked on me!"

"Me too!"

Quote Originally Posted by Moominsthenmotu View Post
    'Playmates' had the toy rights to 'Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles', yet NECA were able to produce toys - clolour and B&W variants - of the original 'Eastman and Laird'-comic-style TMNTs.
    If Classic Media did commission a 'Lou Scheimer Presents' line it is conceivable that as well as Filmation characters such as 'Bravestarr', 'The Groovy Ghoulies' and 'The Ghost Busters' (again, Mattel-toe-treading!) it could conceivably release 'Scorpia', 'Batros', 'Shadow Weaver' and others as Filmation generated characters, they needn't have the POP or MOTU logos.
    Just a thought! Whatever the case, I'll always bow to Emiliano's encyclopedic knowledgeon the matter!
    I think the two differences are playmates rights didn't include comic book rights, or at least not the original comic book, as well playmates doesn't own MOTU, Eastman and Laird do, well Laird does BUT I don't think he has rights to archie TMNT characters and some fox ones. whereas mattel owns PoP and MOTU completely (in toy form) the rights get messy when you have entertainment involved (storytelling essentially) matte though SHOULD licence out the brand for higher end adult collectibles.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Come to think of it, they couldn't do Filmation-accurate Shadow Weaver, Scorpia, Octavia, etc for one specific reason - the Horde symbols. They'd have to take those off to do non-Mattel-approved figures, since the Horde emblem is a Mattel TM, yes?
    The emblems in the cartoon were different from the emblems on the toys. The toys all featured Hordak's face, but the cartoon versions didn't (since Horde Prime ruled the Horde in the cartoon). So their wouldn't be an issue with that emblem, per say. Only if they put Hordak's face on the emblem.

Classic Media can't make toys unless they make them through Mattel. It would be nice if they could work something out. I would prefer toys over statues or stactions.
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; March 28, 2011 at 10:16am.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Justice View Post
    As much as I would love to have a Shadow Weaver and other filmation characters, I really don't think they are worth the cost Mattel would have to pay for them compared to the return they would get becoming figures. I mean Mattel does not even go above and beyond with what they do have the rights to, no comics, no mini-comics, no shirts, no games, no cartoons, no novels, etc.
    It's more than worth it if Mattel has any real hopes of making an MOTU movie. After the legal hang-ups of both Spider-Man and Watchmen, no studio is going to touch MOTU if Mattel does not own the property lock, stock and barrel.

MOTUC in and of itself doesn't financially justify buying back the outstanding rights, but making a movie (and the accompanying merchandising) most definitely does.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    It's more than worth it if Mattel has any real hopes of making an MOTU movie. After the legal hang-ups of both Spider-Man and Watchmen, no studio is going to touch MOTU if Mattel does not own the property lock, stock and barrel.

MOTUC in and of itself doesn't financially justify buying back the outstanding rights, but making a movie (and the accompanying merchandising) most definitely does.
    This.

Buying the Filmation rights make TOTAL sense if they're making a movie. If they want to reach out to audiences of old as well as new, they need the connection. Simple.

Yes, the toys were what started it all. But it was the cartoon that made the franchise massive. The Filmation cartoon offers so much more than just Shadow Weaver (and the other off-limits characters)...
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    This.

Buying the Filmation rights make TOTAL sense if they're making a movie. If they want to reach out to audiences of old as well as new, they need the connection. Simple.

Yes, the toys were what started it all. But it was the cartoon that made the franchise massive. The Filmation cartoon offers so much more than just Shadow Weaver (and the other off-limits characters)...
    Exactly. Filmation AND JetLag rights. If Mattel truly wants to take MOTU to great places (movies, comics, etc.), they need to own their brand. Their ENTIRE brand.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Exactly. Filmation AND JetLag rights. If Mattel truly wants to take MOTU to great places (movies, comics, etc.), they need to own their brand. Their ENTIRE brand.
    I wonder if this is part of the reason they're holding out on releasing any new media?
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo