Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Captain Hydron Thread

I love him...
    I had most of the NA figures as a kid & the ship.
    Hydron was always one of my favorites...second to Tuskador (i hope he is the 2nd one for the year)!
    Anyhow...all that being said i have not got/kept any NA figures due to space. However, with Hydron he is a KEEP!!
    He'll just be added into the Great Rebellion shelf and I'll make him Mermista's ******.
    He is a MUST...love the colors on him and have always had a soft spot for aquatic based characters.

For me, a kid who grew up with New Adventures only, Hydron is long-awaited. I only had a few He-Man toys growing up: He-Man, Skeletor, Flipshot, Hydron, Flogg, and Optikk. I bet you can guess who I want, going forward.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Sorry guys, but NA fans have been getting 1 or 2 figures A YEAR. I don't think that's too much to swallow. If you don't like Hydron, fine. But he should be in the sub. For those fans, he's a HUGE player.

I think it's just a bit over the top to say he shouldn't be in the sub. Karatti? Maybe. Not so much with Hydron.

It's one of those things where, not to be blunt, people just need to get over it a little bit. This line is for all kinds of people. Not just vintage-only fans, even if they were in the majority. If ONE figure in a sub of 12 figures is that upsetting, then subbing may not be for you.
    THANK YOU!

Hydron was a loooooooooooooong time coming!

For us NA fans, it would be like waiting FIVE years for Man-At-Arms or Teela to be made if you are a vintage fan. Hydron most certainly belongs in the "all inclusive" MOTUC line!!

Now we FINALLY get him!!!

Quote Originally Posted by paulioscorchio View Post
    This.

But are we really still arguing about Hydron? Dear oh dear. He's probably (unfortunately) the only NA figure we'll get in 2014. Big deal. If you don't want him just sell him and get on with it.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Don't you dare think like that!! I am really hoping for either NA Skeletor or Flogg to make it out in 2014 as well. Hopefully BOTH!

Agreed. I know he has a lot of new tooling already, but it would be odd. I was more of a mini-comic fan than a fan of the animation (still trying to sit down and watch that one day) but I do recognize that he was out of the mask/hood more than he was in in that, right?
    I've argued it a million times, but I really think you'd enjoy New Adventures Jon. Yes, it is a FAR cry from the awesomeness of FILMation MOTU, but that does not mean it's bad. It's just different - in a good way!

And you are correct, Captain Hydron is seen, more often than not, without his helmet on in the show. I really have to believe that we will see an alternate head packaged with Hydron next year. Can't wait!!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Can this guy have his face mask off or is it sculpted on?
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

a Muppet of a man...
    Just to reiterate... please keep things on the topic of the figure itself. There's plenty of subscription talk in other threads. Thanks.

Let's get back to talking about the figure. I think we've had quite enough talk about whether it should or should not be in the sub or in the line. The fact of the matter, it is. And, if you don't like that he's in the sub. You can simply not sub. The choice is yours.

So let's get back to discussing the pros and cons of the figure itself.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Agreed. I know he has a lot of new tooling already, but it would be odd. I was more of a mini-comic fan than a fan of the animation (still trying to sit down and watch that one day) but I do recognize that he was out of the mask/hood more than he was in in that, right?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by isic View Post
    if NA only fans (do they really exist?) [...] NA only fans (still can't believe they exist)
    Why would they not exist? Do you doubt that there are PoP-only and 200X-only fans? The NA line and cartoon were released in the early 90s. By that time, the kids of the 80s whose first exposure to MotU was through the vintage line were becoming teenagers, while a new generation of kids was taking their place. For these, NA (and not vintage) was their first exposure to MotU, and not necessarily everyone of them who liked the space theme of NA likes the barbarian theme of the previous early minicomics incarnation, for the same reason (though in reverse) why the vintage-only people don't like NA: they're different and liking one incarnation doesn't necessarily entail liking the other incarnation (and let's be clear: vintage is not intrinsically better than NA, they're simply different).

I know for a fact (because some .orger said that was his case on this forum) that for some of those kids of the 90s whose first exposure was through the NA cartoon and toyline, that for them it is this era and not the vintage era the one that holds a special place in their heart, and they do not necessarily need or want to have the Barbarian He-Man figures they have no nostalgia of when it's the Space He-Man figures the ones that do mean something to them, and for them Hydron is about as top-priority as Man-at-Arms is for the vintage people.

---Edit---

I've just read a later comment on this thread which proves my point:

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Koopa View Post
    For me, a kid who grew up with New Adventures only, Hydron is long-awaited. I only had a few He-Man toys growing up: He-Man, Skeletor, Flipshot, Hydron, Flogg, and Optikk. I bet you can guess who I want, going forward.
    Last edited by uaxuctum; August 15, 2013 at 08:21am.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

He was out of the mask a lot in the toon but I guess they gave him the mask because it makes him look a bit more unique rather than having him just be another dude. I always expected him to have the head gear and doubted we would see an extra head.

Makes me wonder how they will do Flogg. Two heads? Removable helmet? Just one head with helmet permanantly attached?
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

I am here to support my NA peeps. I am a huge POP fan and then comes MOTU. I have never watched an NA episode, or owned any of the toys when I was a small boy...BUT I don't base the figure on the cartoon necessarily, but rather the look/sculpt of the figure...and seeing Hydron...I am SOOOOO KEEPING THIS AWESOME FIGURE!!!!!

JUST LOOK AT HIM! How could you not love that guy!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Loo-Kee View Post
    I am here to support my NA peeps. I am a huge POP fan and then comes MOTU. I have never watched an NA episode, or owned any of the toys when I was a small boy...BUT I don't base the figure on the cartoon necessarily, but rather the look/sculpt of the figure...and seeing Hydron...I am SOOOOO KEEPING THIS AWESOME FIGURE!!!!!

JUST LOOK AT HIM! How could you not love that guy!!!!!!!
    I'm one that never saw the NA toon growing up (even though it would have been in my cartoon watching time since I'm an '83 kid). I don't like the original toys (because scale is really important to me) and they don't fit in with the original muscle bound He-man figures. I was a vintage only guy at first...

BUT the sculpts of the NA Classics figures have blown me away. I want ALL of the NA Mutants and Galactic Protectors. I think they are better figures than the PoP figures.

And Hydron looks great. I wouldn't mind a second head, but I'm happy with how well he turned out. The spear gun is something I would have loved growing up. I had/have an obsession with toy gun accessories that look like they shoot sharp pointy things. I personally can't wait for Hydron to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    He was out of the mask a lot in the toon but I guess they gave him the mask because it makes him look a bit more unique rather than having him just be another dude. I always expected him to have the head gear and doubted we would see an extra head.

Makes me wonder how they will do Flogg. Two heads? Removable helmet? Just one head with helmet permanantly attached?
    I would probably display him with the mask, just like I display Flipshot with his helmet. But I can definitely see the appeal of the other heads. Hopefully this might be a thing like NA He-man's armor and helmeted head that we see later.

On the subject of his unhelmeted head: YES...I really wish he came with one. I love the fact that Flipshot has one - it gives me the option of taking off the missiles and the jetpack and have him in a semi-lounging state (or maybe stuck somewhere without his gear and has to fight his way out). Since Flipshot and Hydron are good buds, I would have really liked to be able to display them lounging around without most of the equipment.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    He did spend a lot of time in the toon without his headgear, so I wouldn't mind seeing an extra noggin. The figure, though, didn't have removable pieces like Flipshot, so that might be their guide here. I wonder what the nekkid Hydron head would look like? Flipshot looked like Val Kilmer; Maybe Hydron would be Michael Keaton or George Clooney, following a Batman theme?
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    He did spend a lot of time in the toon without his headgear, so I wouldn't mind seeing an extra noggin. The figure, though, didn't have removable pieces like Flipshot, so that might be their guide here. I wonder what the nekkid Hydron head would look like? Flipshot looked like Val Kilmer; Maybe Hydron would be Michael Keaton or George Clooney, following a Batman theme?
    Ha! Probably Tom Cruise following a Top Gun theme.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    We've gotten multiple figures whose original vintage counterparts didn't have two heads (e.g., Trap Jaw, Man-At-Arms, Mer-Man, Fisto, and Stinkor). If classics is about making the ultimate version of a character, I think a compelling case can be made for the inclusion of Hydron's unmasked head. He shouldn't be shorted because he is a NA character.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Why would they not exist? Do you doubt that there are PoP-only and 200X-only fans? The NA line and cartoon were released in the early 90s. By that time, the kids of the 80s whose first exposure to MotU was through the vintage line were becoming teenagers, while a new generation of kids was taking their place. For these, NA (and not vintage) was their first exposure to MotU, and not necessarily everyone of them who liked the space theme of NA likes the barbarian theme of the previous early minicomics incarnation, for the same reason (though in reverse) why the vintage-only people don't like NA: they're different and liking one incarnation doesn't necessarily entail liking the other incarnation (and let's be clear: vintage is not intrinsically better than NA, they're simply different).

I know for a fact (because some .orger said that was his case on this forum) that for some of those kids of the 90s whose first exposure was through the NA cartoon and toyline, that for them it is this era and not the vintage era the one that holds a special place in their heart, and they do not necessarily need or want to have the Barbarian He-Man figures they have no nostalgia of when it's the Space He-Man figures the ones that do mean something to them, and for them Hydron is about as top-priority as Man-at-Arms is for the vintage people.

---Edit---

I've just read a later comment on this thread which proves my point:
    NA only fans seem pretty friggin' rare on the internet. We get plenty of outspoken POP and 200X fans, but NA? They keep quiet...

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

An unhelmeted head would be great. The lack of two heads this year has been disappointing. Hopefully we will see more next year.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I would pay for a custom head for this guy. helmeted like he appeared in the cartoon.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    NA only fans seem pretty friggin' rare on the internet. We get plenty of outspoken POP and 200X fans, but NA? They keep quiet...
    Kinda hard for us to be outspoken when there's just...barely any say in the matter. PoP was a full-run cartoon that was tied directly to MotU. They've got legitimate debate tickets 'till the end of time. 200X may not have lasted as long, but it made some BIG popular changes that many are still clamoring for.

New Adventures...well it's without-a-doubt the black sheep of the family. It alienated the main series by sorta ignoring most of it and whisking He-Man away from everyone the fans knew AND changed him drastically for what many consider to be the worst. There's just no room for NA fans to debate.

Now of course I speak as a TOY fan, but I'm not gona deny that the minicomics that came with the NA toys took a BIG hold on me. For whatever reason I was ready to believe that He-Man had serious space business to attend to and that Skeletor was totally METALFIED by being seriously injured and forced to rebuild himself with bionics (I can't stress enough how awesome I thought that was back then).

One way or another, as one of the mostly non-vocal (not that I didn't speak up when the need arose): I was quiet was through most of MotUC because I just never expected them to get that far; much less with any push to make them like the original figures. I mean NA He-Man is a golden miracle in this toyline! I was mostly convinced that they would pull something stupid like giving him the normal power sword in gold or with a green blade or some boring crap like that. And I NEVER expected the full armor and helmet to boot! The other figures, sure - Flipshot holds his own and who doesn't love a mechanical eyeball monster? But He-Man? The one they changed drastically and pretty much made all the old fans angry? Once again: I just never thought we'd see him.

So I guess that's my own thoughts on why we don't get many vocal NA fans. No one is going to agree for the most part, and we know it. BUT...someone is lookin' out for us at Mattel, I guess! Somehow I got the most awesome version of one of my favorite He-Man figures (and just generally favorite toys) and now here we are with Hydron; even if he's not as exciting to me as others. There have obviously been quite a few Hydron fans on this thread already, and they seem pretty dang pleased. I assume most of them probably felt like I felt about NA He-Man - that they just would never see Hydron recreated faithfully to the toy.

We may not be that vocal, but I'm pretty sure a good chunk of us were still impressed by the ideas of the story or the look of the toys (or both). I personally didn't speak a lot on the subject, but I did when the chance arose, and I'd like to think that it helped get the figures we're holding and anticipating now!

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    The figure is growing on me a little. I may see a doctor about it though.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Ha! Probably Tom Cruise following a Top Gun theme.
    No...make him Goose...he's no Maverick!

My 8 year old likes him and as he just got a BL Flipshot I may just keep him after all. Guess even NA can look cool to a child who don't know any better....

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    Can this guy have his face mask off or is it sculpted on?
    The original figure has his mask molded to his face, and that looks to be the way it is on the MOTUC version as well. But I believe that he will come with a second head without his helmet, similar to the other two GP's in this line, He-Man and Flipshot.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Unfortunately you are right Max..... maybe too quiet. I mean we are already halfway through 2013 and there have only been five NA characters put into MOTUC....... FIVE!?!?

I'm not going to try and argue that New Adventures is as popular as Vintage/Filmation, BUT, it IS the natural (read: official) progression of the He-Man mythos. Some people probably didn't want to see Luke Skywalkers hand get chopped off, but guess what, that is what happened - just like NA. He-Man travels to a different solar system in humanity's most needed hour. He IS the Most Powerful Man in the Universe™ after all, that's what he does!

Love it or hate it, New Adventures still belongs in MOTUC, and deserves more attention there! Hydron is a fantastic addition, but we are FAR from getting all those we need....
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Its kinda like the 30th Anniversary box set...all episodes of Filmation & MYP but the "top 20" of NA.
    I was a bit sad about this. Why not just give us ALL He-Man episodes!!
    Anyhow!
    I love this guy, as mentioned before! Can we just hurry up and get him!? We really need Mermista now...this is the PERFECT alia for her! Now she has someone to battle Mer-Man, Octavia, Clawful, & Whiplash with!
    We just need HER in 2014.
    Oh yes, yes...i will do my all to turn every post i make into support for Mermista until we see her in 2014...you guys are gonna have a looooong year!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I'm not going to try and argue that New Adventures is as popular as Vintage/Filmation, BUT, it IS the natural (read: official) progression of the He-Man mythos. Some people probably didn't want to see Luke Skywalkers hand get chopped off, but guess what, that is what happened - just like NA.
    While this may be true, and I'm all for NA being included, let's not forget the fact that despite being the official progression of the mythos, it wasn't a popular concept with the fans at the time and continues to suffer from that today. Also, it's not the end of the mythos either, but rather a temporary side mission before He-Man returned to Eternia for the final clash with Skeletor and the beginning of the Son of He-Man era, of which we've only received one figure so far

Heroic Warrior
    I'm very excited about this figure. He'll look great next to Icarius.