Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Captain Hydron Thread

He's actually on of my least favourite GG and still he looks amazing, hope he comes with a cartoon accurate helmetless head
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

LOL- you could slap a MMA head on him and react all those "MMA got eat by a fish scenarios" from MYP.

Glad NA fans got a character they wanted.

To no surprise Hydron turned out great.No short cuts taken with this guy.Great reveal but he still just a scuba guy.

A big fan of Slush Head
    Hydron is once again proof of the potential the NA characters have in the hands of the Horsemen in MOTUC.
    Love the figure, he looks spectacular.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    Hydron is once again proof of the potential the NA characters have in the hands of the Horsemen in MOTUC.
    Love the figure, he looks spectacular.
    I'm a NA fan, but I've always disliked Hydron. Even as a kid. So I never in a million years expected to actually want him, much less think he looks BA. I don't know why I have doubts anymore, the 4H don't disappoint.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

Heroic Warrior
    I never got into NA, and didn't see anything about the original NA figures that appealed to me.

Having said that, I own every NA figure in the Classics line, and look forward to getting Hydron as well- now if they'll just give us the NA mini-comic Sorceress... I can dream, right?
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Hopefully, Mattel includes a second head like they did with Flipshot and NA He-Man. I know Hydron has a lot of new tooling but he will still feel incomplete without it.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Criss79 View Post
    To no surprise Hydron turned out great.No short cuts taken with this guy.Great reveal but he still just a scuba guy.

In MOTU, there are no other heroic aquatic characters except for Mermista. He might be a "scuba guy/space captain" (the Astrosub had the same gimmick--both submarine AND space fighter), but Hydron occupies a spot that few characters tread, unless you are a villain (scores of water villains there...Mer-Man, Clawful, Leech and Octavia).
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 22, 2013 at 09:18am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Yeah, I don't get why people are shrugging off Hydron as just a "scuba guy"....isn't He-Man just a "barbarian guy"? Isn't Teela just a "warrior gal"? Isn't Beast Man just a....."beast man"? Why can't "just a scuba guy" be okay too?

I think the colors are just too much. I am not a New Adventures fan but have liked all the updates to those characters so fat except this guy. I hope he gets an unhelmeted head as well because wearing the breather constantly is no good IMO. Icarius got two heads so hopefully he does too.

I love the colors! They are very close to the original, but with a slight shift to make them less day-glo. I am hoping for an alt head, though I don't know that I'd display him that way much.

Finally Flipshot will not be alone... (Space Cowboy He-Man doesn't count...)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    Finally Flipshot will not be alone... (Space Cowboy He-Man doesn't count...)

Sure he does! Those are the main three...well, Sagitar comes along as the fourth guy pretty early on.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    They did everything right with the sculpting, sadly I´m not interested in the NA heroes...

Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    Yeah, I don't get why people are shrugging off Hydron as just a "scuba guy"....isn't He-Man just a "barbarian guy"? Isn't Teela just a "warrior gal"? Isn't Beast Man just a....."beast man"? Why can't "just a scuba guy" be okay too?
    Well, let me start with a disclaimer: I don't hate Hydron. Chances are, I'll be lovin' the figure when I get him in-hand. Nonetheless, I'll explain why the "just a diver" thing bothers me:

When you describe He-Man or Beastman as "just a barbarian" or "just a beast man", what would they be doing? He-Man is a barbarian, but they're doin' all kinds of stuff. Climbing, fighting, trekking across all sorts of landscapes. A "beast man" is so general that they could be in jungles, deserts, cold weather, what have you. Granted, they did have specific He-Men in the 200X line like the Ice Armor He-Man. However, aside from liking the figure from a design standpoint, I've never been a fan of specific environment figures. I never did get Ice Armor He-Man 'cause he's JUST a cold weather guy. I could see normal He-Man put on heavier boots and a thick cloak to go in cold weather, but then you could remove those items and still have normal He-Man. More versatile!

My basic point is that He-Man isn't "just a barbarian" he's an action hero. If he jumps in the water the only thing you'll expect is that he's gotta come up to breath, otherwise you know he's in for some action. Hydron looks like an action DIVING hero. Any time he is out of the water he looks like he's should be back in the water. He looks silly doing anything out of the water 'cause he's still in FULL diving gear. Flipshot (Icarius) can remove his jetpack and helmet, so he's got some great options that make him a more versatile toy; he's doesn't have to walk around in FULL flying gear. Hydron will be improved with a normal helmetless head (if they do that) but he's STILL wearing flippers all the time, along with that armor.

Now let me get to another disclaimer and recount what I said in the first one: I'm not hating on Hydron. I'm just explaining why the diver thing bothered me over the years. I also understand that this is a prototype and we don't have all the info yet. Given how the original figure worked, it's fully possible that the backpack will be removable as well, and then (like all MotUC figures) so will his armor. This may give me exactly what I want, save for the lack of a helmetless head. He'll still be awkwardly flopping around in diving flippers, but it's something. Even without the helmetless head I'll probably be cool with being able to remove his armor for a more "commander" look that isn't just some guy in a diving suit.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

My big thing with him being a scuba guy is, well he isn't. How many times was he ever actually underwater in media? He's like the poser of MOTU, bought a thrift store wet suit & trys to pass himself off as a navy guy. That's why I don't like him as a character, but this figure is just a great piece. I too hope for a extra toon head.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...cover_full.jpg

Sure he does! Those are the main three...well, Sagitar comes along as the fourth guy pretty early on.
    but we'd need NA Skeletor to come so He-Man can count... Cause Flipshot is the lone Hero from Primus... in MOTUC
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Frankly I wasn't surprised to read immediately following the Hydron reveal that people were decrying him as inconsequential to the line or not someone they cared about, but I would have been shocked to see a single collector take issue with the sculpt as it's arguably one of the best the Horsemen have done in years. Overall the Horsemen really kicked a field goal with Hydron. They took an admittedly lackluster source material character and made him something special- as they nearly always do. I can't wait for next year so I can have this guy on my shelf!
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    He man has his own look as do the others.Hydron would be like Rio Blast just being a cowboy except RB has all those cool blasters and unique elements to his design.

I think he looks fantastic!
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

Heroic Warrior
    I must admit that Hydron is impressive. The 4 Horsemen did an amazing job with him ! I'd like to buy him (he's much better than the 1990 figure)... I'll only have to see what kind of finances I'll have when he's released. I like him, but he's not a priority.

As much as i love NA, this one is a little bit meh.

Too scuba for a space man.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by King Criss79 View Post
    No short cuts taken with this guy
    i wish they hadn't take shortcuts with optikk, i never liked the re-use of legs on that one

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Here are some pics of the prototype:
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Well, let me start with a disclaimer: I don't hate Hydron. Chances are, I'll be lovin' the figure when I get him in-hand. Nonetheless, I'll explain why the "just a diver" thing bothers me:

When you describe He-Man or Beastman as "just a barbarian" or "just a beast man", what would they be doing? He-Man is a barbarian, but they're doin' all kinds of stuff. Climbing, fighting, trekking across all sorts of landscapes. A "beast man" is so general that they could be in jungles, deserts, cold weather, what have you. Granted, they did have specific He-Men in the 200X line like the Ice Armor He-Man. However, aside from liking the figure from a design standpoint, I've never been a fan of specific environment figures. I never did get Ice Armor He-Man 'cause he's JUST a cold weather guy. I could see normal He-Man put on heavier boots and a thick cloak to go in cold weather, but then you could remove those items and still have normal He-Man. More versatile!

My basic point is that He-Man isn't "just a barbarian" he's an action hero. If he jumps in the water the only thing you'll expect is that he's gotta come up to breath, otherwise you know he's in for some action. Hydron looks like an action DIVING hero. Any time he is out of the water he looks like he's should be back in the water. He looks silly doing anything out of the water 'cause he's still in FULL diving gear. Flipshot (Icarius) can remove his jetpack and helmet, so he's got some great options that make him a more versatile toy; he's doesn't have to walk around in FULL flying gear. Hydron will be improved with a normal helmetless head (if they do that) but he's STILL wearing flippers all the time, along with that armor.

Now let me get to another disclaimer and recount what I said in the first one: I'm not hating on Hydron. I'm just explaining why the diver thing bothered me over the years. I also understand that this is a prototype and we don't have all the info yet. Given how the original figure worked, it's fully possible that the backpack will be removable as well, and then (like all MotUC figures) so will his armor. This may give me exactly what I want, save for the lack of a helmetless head. He'll still be awkwardly flopping around in diving flippers, but it's something. Even without the helmetless head I'll probably be cool with being able to remove his armor for a more "commander" look that isn't just some guy in a diving suit.
    What if Hydron is actually from the same world/species as Ninjor and he has "monster feet" and those aren't flippers, just socks...

Quote Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post
    What if Hydron is actually from the same world/species as Ninjor and he has "monster feet" and those aren't flippers, just socks...
    Then he'd be staring at me angrily as he told me that and I'd be all like: "Ah...uh...I'm sorry man I didn't know...I mean they looked...I'm so sorry...they're very nice flippers. I mean feet. They look great. I uh...I'm gona go..."
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.