Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Official Lieutenant Flipshot Thread - Icarius

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    I love the MOTUC version of him. I know the NA figures will look awesome in this line.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hhhelmsley View Post
    I love the MOTUC version of him. I know the NA figures will look awesome in this line.
    Yes! When people think of NA, they think of the original toys not fitting in with the MOTU figures or the DIC cartoon not matching the Filmation stuff. They aren't considering that the 4H are improving them to fit into the MOTUC toyline as if they were meant to do so.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Yes! When people think of NA, they think of the original toys not fitting in with the MOTU figures or the DIC cartoon not matching the Filmation stuff. They aren't considering that the 4H are improving them to fit into the MOTUC toyline as if they were meant to do so.
    AMEN! I think Flipshot looks amazing just wish he had longer hair on his helmetless head.

As far as I'm concerned, the 4H hit this one out of the park - in fact, he might almost be the sleeper hit reveal of SDCC considering that I think most folks had low expectations of NA figures. However, the brilliant work of the 4H has shown how great those designs can be when executed properly.

Love it. Perfection on this.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    I love New Adventures. There, I said it.

Maybe not as much as I love FILMation, but I have never understood all of the hate / dismissal NA receives....

As far as Flipshot, yes Flipshot (I know he was originally named Icarus, but he will always be Flipshot to me) is concerned, the 4H could not have done a better job. This just goes to show how cool the NA designs have always been, especially when put in the right hands!

I simply cannot wait to see how Flogg, Hydron, Slush-Head, Spinwit, and ALL of the rest of NA turn out in this line. We need more New Adventures in 2012!!!!!!!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I love New Adventures. There, I said it.

Maybe not as much as I love FILMation, but I have never understood all of the hate / dismissal NA receives....

As far as Flipshot, yes Flipshot (I know he was originally named Icarus, but he will always be Flipshot to me) is concerned, the 4H could not have done a better job. This just goes to show how cool the NA designs have always been, especially when put in the right hands!

I simply cannot wait to see how Flogg, Hydron, Slush-Head, Spinwit, and ALL of the rest of NA turn out in this line. We need more New Adventures in 2012!!!!!!!
    Here here i want at least a Protector and a Mutant in 2012. There are nine monthly spots left we have three vintage i say we get two Filmation/Jetlag, 2 POP, 2 NA, a 200X and 2 more vintage plus the SDCC could be a Vintage character.

Quote Originally Posted by bribri4u View Post
    Here here i want at least a Protector and a Mutant in 2012. There are nine monthly spots left we have three vintage i say we get two Filmation/Jetlag, 2 POP, 2 NA, a 200X and 2 more vintage plus the SDCC could be a Vintage character.
    This makes perfect sense. I would love for Mattel to have a somewhat planned-out diagram for their release schedule similar to this.

After three years we have only seen one, ONE New Adventures character: Optikk. We must have more in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    The first thing I thought of when I saw this figure was Ace McCloud from Centurions.
    Same.

I just wish I could get hyped on getting this figure. I'm really not against NA. I'm not. And he looks cool, but...Man, I just dont want him.

Dont get me wrong, I will likely get him on principal, to support the line. But though he is cool looking, and probably because I have exactly NO nostalgia factor, I just am not into this look.

I love Optikk, always have. I think I will like most of the Mutants. But I never liked the Galactic Heroes. Their themes were just too obvious I guess.

If/when I actually get him, I think I'll end up displaying him without his flight wings, missle arm attachment, and maybe with the helmetless head. So he's in "normal" mode, not "Battle" mode or whatever. Like what he'd look like walking around in uniform.

But then he'll be really booring. At least he can stand next to Space Marlena Glenn, though he comes from a wildly different time.

Old vintage masters are so over the top, so bizzare, they work together.

The NA Heroes (especially Flipshot and Hydron) actually need to be more uniform, to show they are a force, or more bizzare.

Oh well. We'll see.

Really glad he's out and looks beautiful for you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    He looks pretty great! He's going to look even better toting around one of those small gray Weapons Rack laser pistols in his bare hand! He looks like he needs a laser pistol!
    Yeah! I think I just may do that. I was just thinking in the stripped down way I think I'll display him, I knew I'd need a gun. For some reason totally hadnt thought of that yet.

I will say that in honour of his reveal/release, I will finally buy and watch the first NA DVD pack. I tried a couple of times before to watch it. Netflix. And I just couldnt take it. I thought it was terrible. I really really tried.

But now I'm going to force myself to watch it. All of it. So at least I know who these characters are that I'm probably going to end up buying.

Who knows, by the time I finish, I may actually come to like it. I hope so, because I want to like all things MOTU.

I wish I had seen this as a kid. I swear it never came on in my area. I only ever saw the toys one or two times at Toys R Us, and never the cartoon, advertised, aired, or anything. So it's not my fault I have no nostalgia factor.

wish me luck.
    Last edited by baronterror; July 26, 2011 at 02:29am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I can't wait the new design are making my love for N.A. grow!

I always thought Icarus was one of the more annoying characters on NA. Every time I watch an episode I want Skeletor to murder him.

That being said, the motuc figure looks pretty freaking cool. He will make a very nice addition to the collection, and the heroes. His colors look very appealing. The blue and silver go well together.

I think if you put him, Stratos, Buzz-Off, and Sy-Klone all together on flight stands in some heroic poses, you'd never know Icarus was not a part of the vintage line.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; July 26, 2011 at 05:21am.

So ready for this figure. Can NOT believe how awesome he turned out.

What was the reason behind choosing the name that goes on the packaging? I saw there was a slide for it at the panel...
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Supreme Sorceress Queen Grayskull's Avatar
    Very cool design, I really like it! Great job Mattel!

film noir warrior maltesefalcon's Avatar
    flipshot is this years bow: knocked out of the park by the horsemen, not really expected, with little touches that turn him into an interesting character even seperate from motu
    when your world turns upside down, laugh at the people standing on their heads!

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    What was the reason behind choosing the name that goes on the packaging? I saw there was a slide for it at the panel...
    Toyguru went into detail about how Nerf owns the name "Flipshot" and I think mentioned that in the original pitch for NA he had the name "Icarius", so they went with that.

As for the figure, I love him, but that crotch piece looks like it will limit how far his legs can move forward; I hope they are looking into that!
    Vintage NA for MOTUC!! LET'S GO~~
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Angella, Perfuma, Peekablue, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Sssqueeze, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    I will say that in honour of his reveal/release, I will finally buy and watch the first NA DVD pack. I tried a couple of times before to watch it. Netflix. And I just couldnt take it. I thought it was terrible. I really really tried.

But now I'm going to force myself to watch it. All of it. So at least I know who these characters are that I'm probably going to end up buying.

Who knows, by the time I finish, I may actually come to like it. I hope so, because I want to like all things MOTU.

I wish I had seen this as a kid. I swear it never came on in my area. I only ever saw the toys one or two times at Toys R Us, and never the cartoon, advertised, aired, or anything. So it's not my fault I have no nostalgia factor.

wish me luck.
    I think you should read the NA mini-comics instead first. I think that's the better NA experience.

While Icarius does look great, I just hope the Galactic Protectors don't start looking too much like GI Joes....

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    As far as Flipshot, yes Flipshot (I know he was originally named Icarus, but he will always be Flipshot to me)
    Yeah, I'm of the same mind; Icarius was the overseas name. I wouldn't call him that any more than I could call the Power Sword the Sword of He (even typing that, my fingers hesitate).

Flip is the Bow of this set of figures, in my eyes; the character a lot of folks thought would be lackluster, but instead came out amazing. The basic designs of a lot of the NA figures were quite strong; a lot different from the classic figures, but still powerful in the right sculpting hands. I find myself hoping that hydron isn't far off. And now that we can apparently can get Mara, as well, I've got much higher hopes for the NA stuff to really surprise some of the naysayers.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

It was cool to see in Pixel Dan's video walkthrough of the booth that the missiles detach from his arm armor piece. I'm less thrilled that they fire out of his wings only because they sit in there loose and I'm afraid of losing them!

One thing I was kind of bummed about... it doesn't seem like his wings can fold back! Not a huge thing but it would have been nice.

Overall he's an amazing figure.

I really do like the look of this character. I really hope we start getting more NA figures than one every year and a half.

POP has been getting a bit more attention lately, NA should too.

I really like the way the light hits the jet pack in that pic, it makes it look like little yellow detailing on the air intakes. I kind of wish they were painted now
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Is anyone going to buy two Flipshots? I'm toying with the idea of having an all out Flipshot (maybe I'll add the missles from the second Flipshot to the left arm to have a more symmetrical effect) and a more casual Flipshot wearing the unmasked head and no weapons like the picture down below.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastmaster View Post
    While Icarius does look great, I just hope the Galactic Protectors don't start looking too much like GI Joes....

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Is anyone going to buy two Flipshots? I'm toying with the idea of having an all out Flipshot (maybe I'll add the missles from the second Flipshot to the left arm to have a more symmetrical effect) and a more casual Flipshot wearing the unmasked head and no weapons like the picture down below.

Way ahead of you. A great point was brought up in this thread about the "casual" Galactic Protector versus the "Fully Armed" GP. I have a feeling that a lot of the NA Heroes will have some sort of removable armor and/or detachable weapons; since that is how the '90's figures were all made.

If this is the case, then yes, TWO Flipshots are a must!