Thread: Sony Is Remaking "The Craft"

Sony Is Remaking "The Craft"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...aft-get-795479

Why can't there be a The Craft 2 with Fairuza Balk/Nancy getting her abilities back? *cries* (Though I have heard she's not interested in revisiting this role.)

Leigh Janiak is set to write and direct the new version.

The Craft has bewitched Sony execs for a second time.

The studio is remaking the 1996 supernatural teen thriller, tapping up-and-coming horror filmmaker Leigh Janiak to write and direct the new version. Janiak will co-write the script with Phil Graziadei, the co-scribe on her breakthrough movie Honeymoon.

Doug Wick, who was The Craft's original producers, is back in the same capacity, this time producing with Lucy Fisher. Fisher was vice chairman of Columbia when the first movie was made.

The original starred Robin Tunney, who arrives at a Catholic school and befriends a trio of wannabe witches, played by Fairuza Balk, Neve Campbell and Rachel True. The trio turn out to be amateur practioners and welcome Tunney's character, a natural, into their fold. When they use their magic to fix personal issues, they discover that dark forces aren't something to trifle with.

Andrew Fleming co-wrote and directed the movie.

The news of a female director coming on board to direct a female-centric feature project is welcome news to Hollywood, as it breaks after the studios have come under fire from the American Civil Liberties Union for "systemic failure to hire women directors at all levels of the film and television industry.” Janiak's hiring was already weeks in the works; the filmmaker impressed execs with her take on a female empowerment tale.

Janiek was an assistant to producer Kevin Misher when she decided to change course to focus on her passion, filmmaking. She impressed many last year with her debut, the creepy horror film Honeymoon, which premiered at SXSW and was promptly picked up by Magnolia Pictures. The movie starred Rose Leslie (Game of Thrones) and Harry Treadaway (Penny Dreadful) as a young couple whose lakeside getaway goes to hell. She directed the movie and co-wrote it with Graziadei.

Janiek, who is repped by Verve, is also directing an upcoming episode of MTV's adaptation of Scream.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

This coulet be promising.

I enjoyed the original quite a bit.

Though it is kind of odd for a remake considering the original isn't exactly a hugely popular movie. I think Sony would probably be better off just making a new story involving witches/witchcraft.

Either way, I look forward to how this will turn out.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Heroic Warrior Bender Rodríguez's Avatar
    Hell no, why the hell to do again something that is good enough and doesn't deserve to be ruined with a remake??? The original film is actually considered a cult movie from the middle of the 90's and the soundtrack is amazing.

After watching how people can ruin good things with the Jem movie, I lost all my faith on remakes.

Didn't they do this several years ago but had guys be the lead parts instead, or was that another occult themed movie with pretty much the exact same premise?
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Didn't they do this several years ago but had guys be the lead parts instead, or was that another occult themed movie with pretty much the exact same premise?
    That was The Covenant

To quote The Cinema Snob:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cinema Snob View Post
    No. No. No. No, no. No. No. No, no, no. No. No. NOPE. NOPE. This movie is a whole lot of nope!
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

being less joking this time (I also almost went with didn't they do this a few years back but replace magic with popularity and called it Mean Girls). The problem here is there isn't anything wholly unique about the premise of The Craft to warrant it being remade (I could see making a TV series and using the name). The main reasons to do a remake are 1) you couldn't do something with the original film that can now be done. This is often more with adaptations of books etc. 2)There was something unique about the film story wise that you want to reuse to capture attention from newer viewers who tend to think anything before their date of birth as ancient and unwatchable with enough similarity to bring in fans of the original.

The first the movie could have had more CGI effects but wasn't necessary. The second, aside from some cultural references and 'brand' names of clothing and cell phones the movie could easily have been made today. Highschool fashion hasn't really changed drastically enough (lower waisted pants for women, anime hair a few other spots) for it really to be a disconnect with teens of today. Yes there haven't been that many movies really about the subject except when you take magic has a metaphor and replace with things like popularity, corporate power etc. But it still doesn't make the movie wholly unique.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    Weren't there some really awful direct to DVD movies called the same title? Its just tweens in cahtloic school girl outfits.

Think American Horror Story: Coven, but its just going to royally suck.

The Craft is 20 years old today!

"Remake is actually a sequel"

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/33...tually-sequel/