Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accident: Totaled

Master of New Adventures!

Accident: Totaled

I don't often call upon my fellow orders for a pick-me-up but I can use one today.

Last night our Alex totaled my Hummer and another car that broadsided him. Thanks God no one was injured beyond bruises and some neck pain. Alex has had his driver's license for a month and was so enjoying his new-found freedom. He's a great kid -- National Honor Society, very spiritual and giving. He was devastated by the accident, despite Kim and me telling him it was just an accident and it was only a car and that we should be grateful no one was seriously injured.

I had him drive Kim's car this morning so he could 'get back up on the horse' and he seems to be doing better. For me it brings home how fragile our lives are -- especially the lives of our loved ones. So hug those who you love today and keep the perspective on life that every day is precious.

As for me, well my Hummer had 129,000 miles on it so I was getting ready to give it a Viking funeral anyway. Now I'm closing in on a two-seater sports car -- delayed onset of mid-life crisis, I guess -- so there's a silver lining to every dark cloud. But the best thing, of course, is that everyone's okay.

Sorry to take up everyone's time up with this, but I feel a closeness to so many orgers and it helps me to share.

Thanks.

Best,

Jack

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Well, I'm glad your son is okay. Material things can be replaced. Lives...not so much.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Yeah as long as your son is okay because in the end a car is just a car
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Yeah, glad to hear your son is okay.

I totaled my mom's car as a first year college student; while it created a few issues for a week or so, the family ended up getting a car that they kept for ~25 years. Maybe you'll get lucky like that (but you already got the best lucky outcome - that he's okay!)

Very glad to hear Alex is ok after such a serious accident. As long as everyone's ok, that's all that really matters.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Evil Sorcerer & Commander Zargon's Avatar
    Glad to hear that your son is OK, my son is a new driver also and would be devastated if this had happen to him too.
    Top MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither, Tuvar & Baddrah 2-pack

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I had him drive Kim's car this morning so he could 'get back up on the horse' and he seems to be doing better. For me it brings home how fragile our lives are -- especially the lives of our loved ones. So hug those who you love today and keep the perspective on life that every day is precious.
    This was really good of you to do. Shows you still trust him and that he doesn't need to dwell on what happened.

Sorry to hear about the car but it looks like as far as crashes go this one turned out pretty good with everyone being safe.

Must have been a scary experience, but gladly everyone is ok.

I hope you'll have fun with your new sports car!
    My music compositions: Krugos YouTube Channel - I hope you enjoy it!

Very relieved to hear that everyone is OK.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Glad to hear Alex is ok. So what kinda sports car ya getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    This was really good of you to do. Shows you still trust him and that he doesn't need to dwell on what happened.

Sorry to hear about the car but it looks like as far as crashes go this one turned out pretty good with everyone being safe.
    Thanks for that, Dice. It means a lot to me to hear that from you. I pride myself on being a great father. It's hard work but the returns are amazing.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. Alex is doing much better now. I was able to joke with him today that he may be the first person who has ever totaled a Hummer outside of a combat zone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Glad to hear Alex is ok. So what kinda sports car ya getting?
    Mercedes SLK 320. Black with gray leather interior. Kinda Skeletor-ish. Kim says I deserve it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=merc...es+slk320+2016
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; August 2, 2016 at 08:47pm.

Drinking NaughtyNurse IPA TheDeviot's Avatar
    Glad everyone is okay.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Thanks for that, Dice. It means a lot to me to hear that from you. I pride myself on being a great father. It's hard work but the returns are amazing.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. Alex is doing much better now. I was able to joke with him today that he may be the first person who has ever totaled a Hummer outside of a combat zone.

- - - Updated - - -

Mercedes SLK 320. Black with gray leather interior. Kinda Skeletor-ish. Kim says I deserve it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=merc...es+slk320+2016
    Very cool! Glad to hear Alex is feeling better as well. I would agree with your assessment....its not very often you see a Hummer get totaled outside of the desert....

I am very relieved to hear that everyone is okay.

Both parties had their Guardian Angels tagging along -- thank God.
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Glad that everyone is okay Boss, Hope you'll get a better car, a car is still a car.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

I'm so glad every one is OK!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I am very relieved to hear that everyone is okay.

Both parties had their Guardian Angels tagging along -- thank God.
    Absolutely, Ornclown. I've thanked the Lord so many times the past day that I need Neosporin for the rug burns on my knees.

To all: These posts mean more to me than I can put into words. In a couple of days I'll print them and give them to Alex. I know he will feel every bit as grateful to all of you as I do. This is the finest example of what the board is about. We have our differences of opinion and positions, but when one of us is down we all come together.

I'm profoundly touched...
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; August 3, 2016 at 02:45am.

It's good to know that no one was hurt, that's the grateful blessing to be had in this situation.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!NO KAYO? NOT OKAY-O!! Vote in this HatMOTU poll for Filmation characters not found in the "official" fan poll: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...20#post3607720

Would figure it's a pretty safe car to be in an accident. Glad your son is ok.

Glad your son is okay, and glad you're seeing the bright side of this. The best thing, in my opinion? You're being a great dad--not telling him he's a fool, treating him like the worst driver in the world, or just generally being an ass to him for what is, quite truly, an accident.
    Too many people do this. Yes, pay better attention. Yes, it's costly and it sucks. But above all, it's an accident, not an "on purpose". I've known too many people get downtrodden for things like this, and it doesn't help when parents (or anyone else) treats them like garbage.
    Bravo, Jack. Men like you are hard to find.
    Follow my exploits in writing!
    writermyke.wordpress.com
    facebook.com/writermyke

Quote Originally Posted by MykEdwards View Post
    Glad your son is okay, and glad you're seeing the bright side of this. The best thing, in my opinion? You're being a great dad--not telling him he's a fool, treating him like the worst driver in the world, or just generally being an ass to him for what is, quite truly, an accident.
    Too many people do this. Yes, pay better attention. Yes, it's costly and it sucks. But above all, it's an accident, not an "on purpose". I've known too many people get downtrodden for things like this, and it doesn't help when parents (or anyone else) treats them like garbage.
    Bravo, Jack. Men like you are hard to find.
    Thank you for that, MykEdwards. That means a great deal to me, as have so many orgers' comments in this thread and in other places over the years.. After having written, produced and directed over twelve hundred episodes of television and a dozen films, I consider my children to be my finest production.

Seriously, anyone that thinks it's easy to raise children has never raised children...at least not in the way children deserve to be raised -- coming as they do from Heaven imo. As a parent you put in ten or twelve relentless but joyous years laying down a foundation, serving as a role model and giving them a North Star to steer by and hopefully they end up with strong wings to fly on. Mine surely have that, so I'm blessed. So are they.

Regrettably, it's not the same for all children. The most impactful and sad dialog I ever heard was spoken by Keanu Reeves in the film Parenthood when he said about fathers, "Well, it depends on the man. I had a man around. He used to wake me up every morning by flicking lit cigarettes at my head. He'd say, 'Hey, *******, get up and make me breakfast.' You know, Mrs. Buckman, you need a license to buy a dog, or drive a car. Hell, you need a license to catch a fish! But they'll let any butt-reaming ******* be a father. " (I hope I'm not violating board regulations here by quoting one of America's greatest living actors, but I think some dialog is so important and true that it deserves to be quoted as it was delivered.)

How tragic for those children who were born to such a father. I thank my Lord and Savior that my children won the lottery when they were born to Kim and me -- and if that sounds boastful then remember that legendary University of Alabama (Roll, Tide!) football coach Bear Bryant once said, "It ain't braggin' if it's true. )

The best part about good parenting is that we know we create a legacy of parenting that our children, in turn, will pass down to their own children. I guess that's about as close to immortality as any mere man can come.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; August 8, 2016 at 08:06pm.

Quote Originally Posted by MykEdwards View Post
    Well said. The steps to being an awesome parent

Glad he's okay!!!
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

Just now saw this Jack. Sorry for the late response. Glad your son is ok!!! I bet you were a mess when you got the phone call. I can't even imagine.

Thanks also for your kind words when I lost my pet this week. They were much appreciated!!!
    ......... ........

MOST WANTED MOTUC figures:
    Ice Armor He-Man, Sagitar, Master Sebrian, Snake Mountain Man, Filmation Mer-Man, NA Prince Adam, Dylamug, Fang-Or, Major Header, Granita, Great Black Wizard, Quakke, Delora/Hawke, Dree-Elle/Montork, Tuvar, Badrah, Disco Skeletor, Songster, & Stridor

*My iTrader Feedback
    *My MOTU_Maniac Feedback Thread

Again, thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

The end of the story is that I chickened out on the two-seater convertible for my new car and went with a Lexus SUV. Hey, I've got three kids so I guess I'm an SUV guy until they're all in college. Does that make me an old man?