Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 322

Thread: HBO's A Song of Ice and Fire: A Game of Thrones

  1. #1
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,792

    HBO's A Song of Ice and Fire: A Game of Thrones

    I'm surprised there hasn't been any talk on here of this show yet. Seems right up the ally of fans here.

    This new HBO series starts in a few weeks. It is an adaptation of George R R Martins AMAZING books. I'm SO excited!!

    BEHOLD!



  2. #2
    HD figures on youtube
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Eternia
    Posts
    1,002
    Both this and Camelot look good to me, but since they are on HBO & Starz, most likely they will be full of pointless nude & sex scenes, just because they can do it.

  3. #3
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,530
    Quote Originally Posted by BCreviews4628 View Post
    Both this and Camelot look good to me, but since they are on HBO & Starz, most likely they will be full of pointless nude & sex scenes, just because they can do it.
    I'm happy I'm not the only one who thinks that. Look, I have no problem with porn, but I hate when HBO tries to get as close as they can to it in a show that isn't about sex. I still watch True Blood, but I really get sick of the explicit sex scenes. It just takes me right out of the story. There's a time & place for everything.

    Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    This new HBO series starts in a few weeks. It is an adaptation of George R R Martins AMAZING books. I'm SO excited!!
    I've heard about it but have never read the books. Is it fantasy or just a semi-realistic medieval drama?
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; April 1, 2011 at 10:48am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  4. #4
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,792
    Quote Originally Posted by BCreviews4628 View Post
    Both this and Camelot look good to me, but since they are on HBO & Starz, most likely they will be full of pointless nude & sex scenes, just because they can do it.
    Totally get what you are saying and most times would agree. In this instance though the source material is full of that kinda stuff and the show likely will cut a lot out. One article i read recently said it was like a modern lotr accept people get horny. Lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I'm happy I'm not the only one who thinks that. Look, I have no problem with porn, but I hate when HBO tries to get as close as they can to it in a show that isn't about sex. I still watch True Blood, but I really get sick of the explicit sex scenes. It just takes me right out of the story. There's a time & place for everything.



    I've heard about it but have never read the books. Is it fantasy or just a semi-realistic medieval drama?
    Its sorta both. Its definitely fantasy but its written like its historical fiction. Very realistic and gritty and the crazy fantasy moments are more spread out. Because of this when they happen they have a.much larger impact. Its def a magical fantasy world they are living in tho.

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior gbagok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    7,039
    I agree about the gratuitous nature of the sex and violence, but this looks pretty awesome--particularly the costumes. I don't know the books, are these historical fiction or is it fantasy? It's kind of hard to tell so I'll have to look them up.

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior Ivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,532
    This looks pretty interesting, but since I don't have HBO it means I'll have to wait another year for it to come out on Bluray...

    Quote Originally Posted by BCreviews4628 View Post
    Both this and Camelot look good to me, but since they are on HBO & Starz, most likely they will be full of pointless nude & sex scenes, just because they can do it.
    I kinda make a difference between HBO and Starz in that respect. I would expect Camelot to be more vulgar and blunt. I didn't watch the third season of True Blood yet, but I didn't mind the sex scenes in the first two seasons. I actually thought they were very well done. But then again, I'm European...

  7. #7
    HD figures on youtube
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Eternia
    Posts
    1,002
    otally get what you are saying and most times would agree. In this instance though the source material is full of that kinda stuff and the show likely will cut a lot out. One article i read recently said it was like a modern lotr accept people get horny. Lol
    Oooh ok, I never read the books, but if that stuff is there, it's kinda diffrent. I guess I sound like a prude lol, but like Mr. Shokoti said, it takes me out of the story.

    Haha, lotr, accept people get horny, gotta love that quote! Cool seeing Sean Bean kinda decked out like Borimir again.

  8. #8
    Lumpy Space Person Brad2dbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,619
    I'm so excited for this show that I'm going to order HBO, rather than wait to Netflix the DVD's. What's more, the 5th book finally has an official release date.

    As far as the nudey stuff goes, the book does have it's fair share of sex and nudity, so the show will likely depict all of that.

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior Ivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,532
    BTW, there is a really cool iPad app out there - Ice and Fire. It's basically a weather app, but it displays weather using footage from the show where such weather occurs. Pretty cool, kinda like Weather HD only with Game of Thrones theme

  10. #10
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,792
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I agree about the gratuitous nature of the sex and violence, but this looks pretty awesome--particularly the costumes. I don't know the books, are these historical fiction or is it fantasy? It's kind of hard to tell so I'll have to look them up.
    Fantasy but much more realistic than most fantasy. Reads like historical fiction.and then boom something crazy happens lol its great stuff!!!

    edit:

    So yesterday here in NYC (well all week long actually but i went yesterday) they had a promotional food truck where all the food served was from the Song of Ice and Fire books/hbo show. I went and had HEAD CHEESE! Which I never thought i'd have in my life... its pigs brain. It was really good, prepared by a famous chef and free?! Best promo ever!

  11. #11
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    I went and had HEAD CHEESE! Which I never thought i'd have in my life... its pigs brain. It was really good, prepared by a famous chef and free?! Best promo ever!
    Yechhh! Everytime I hear about headcheese, I think of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  12. #12
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,792
    Here are pictures from the event.. .including the brains i ate. mmm nom nom nom









  13. #13
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,530
    Dang! I refuse to eat tomatoes & green beans. I can't even imagine brains. I'd make an awful zombie.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  14. #14
    Warrior of Evolution 13977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Posts
    6,408
    I was going to start a thread on this soon, really looking forward to it.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

    Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior Ivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,532
    There's an almost 15-minute preview available on HBO website and also on iTunes. Its in the form of a podcast, just search for "Game of Thrones". If you can't wait, this will help you a bit (or maybe just make it worse )

  16. #16
    Lumpy Space Person Brad2dbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,619
    I watched the preview and it gave me high hopes for the show. It's obviously not going to be an exact adaptation, but it looks like it will be very faithful. One question though: where was Theon?

  17. #17
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,530
    I had figured with the obsession that this series of books seems to bring out, the series must have started in the late 70's or early 80's. I was surprised to find out last night that it is only 15 years old.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  18. #18
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Dang! I refuse to eat tomatoes & green beans. I can't even imagine brains. I'd make an awful zombie.
    I know right? I still can't believe I ate it. lol The things I do in the name of Geekdom

    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    I was going to start a thread on this soon, really looking forward to it.
    Yea its going to be great. Have you read the books? I'm really excited that a new one is coming out in July!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    There's an almost 15-minute preview available on HBO website and also on iTunes. Its in the form of a podcast, just search for "Game of Thrones". If you can't wait, this will help you a bit (or maybe just make it worse )
    I've been going back and forth on whether I want to watch the preview and spoil it or wait for the premier. I"m SOO curious though... eeeeee

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    I watched the preview and it gave me high hopes for the show. It's obviously not going to be an exact adaptation, but it looks like it will be very faithful. One question though: where was Theon?
    I'm so glad! I get so nervous with things like this. Obviously as you said it won't be an exact adaptation but I still hope it is faithful and doesn't ruin it as so often happens with fantasy adaptations. Glad to hear you liked the preview though. Theon Best be in there... hm.... maybe its too early to have seen him? Has there been a casting announcment on him?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I had figured with the obsession that this series of books seems to bring out, the series must have started in the late 70's or early 80's. I was surprised to find out last night that it is only 15 years old.
    Yea its pretty current, a new book in the series comes out in July.. with 2 or 3 more after that.

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior gbagok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    7,039
    Okay, so the show made it clear they like beheadings in those first 15 minutes!

    I wonder if that prominent guy really died off screen in the beginning or if he'll show up again later in the series. Can't wait to see the rest of it on DVD in a year for $120.00.

  20. #20
    Warrior of Evolution 13977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Posts
    6,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    Yea its going to be great. Have you read the books? I'm really excited that a new one is coming out in July!
    No I've not read the books, maybe I should check them out if I like the series but I've already got so many books on my 'to read' shelf.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

    Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

  21. #21
    Lumpy Space Person Brad2dbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    I'm so glad! I get so nervous with things like this. Obviously as you said it won't be an exact adaptation but I still hope it is faithful and doesn't ruin it as so often happens with fantasy adaptations. Glad to hear you liked the preview though. Theon Best be in there... hm.... maybe its too early to have seen him? Has there been a casting announcment on him?

    Minor spoilers ahead for those who didn't watch the preview...



    Yeah, they predictably decided to ditch focusing on the POV character and bounced around a little more instead, and the things that were different made sense, because there's no narrator and there isn't time to explain everything through dialogue, so things were changed to give us visual cues instead, such as a brief scene where Septa Mordane is praising Sansa's stitches while Arya looks forlorn, and then cut to Bran failing at archery and then Arya nails a bulls-eye. In only a minute or so, we learn a lot about Arya's character by showing her do something that didn't happen in the book (nailing the bulls-eye).

    The part that was missing Theon was when Ned lops off the deserter's head, it didn't show Theon kick it like in the book. IDK what that's about, but I guess we'll find out. Theon has been cast though, he's being played by a dude named Alfie Allen.

  22. #22
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,792
    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    No I've not read the books, maybe I should check them out if I like the series but I've already got so many books on my 'to read' shelf.
    Yes definitely put them on your list. They are like crack on paper. Honestly I am not a huge "reader" but these books drew me in like none other have. Also I've noticed that people from all.walks of lofe that I know seem to really enjoy them which is odd for a book like this. Male female young old

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post

    Minor spoilers ahead for those who didn't watch the preview...



    Yeah, they predictably decided to ditch focusing on the POV character and bounced around a little more instead, and the things that were different made sense, because there's no narrator and there isn't time to explain everything through dialogue, so things were changed to give us visual cues instead, such as a brief scene where Septa Mordane is praising Sansa's stitches while Arya looks forlorn, and then cut to Bran failing at archery and then Arya nails a bulls-eye. In only a minute or so, we learn a lot about Arya's character by showing her do something that didn't happen in the book (nailing the bulls-eye).

    The part that was missing Theon was when Ned lops off the deserter's head, it didn't show Theon kick it like in the book. IDK what that's about, but I guess we'll find out. Theon has been cast though, he's being played by a dude named Alfie Allen.
    Very interesting. That does seem like an odd thing to leave out..hmmm

    **edit**

    OK SO THE PREMIERE IS TONIGHT!! SOO excited!! So who is all watching! I'm going to a premiere party here in nyc with a bunch of other nerds. Free jello shots every time someone dies!

  23. #23
    Lumpy Space Person Brad2dbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,619
    I waited until the last minute to order HBO, and unfortunately wasn't able to order it in time, so I missed the premier.It's OK though, I ordered it today and will be able to catch one of the many repeats, so I'll be watching it tonight!

  24. #24
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    I waited until the last minute to order HBO, and unfortunately wasn't able to order it in time, so I missed the premier.It's OK though, I ordered it today and will be able to catch one of the many repeats, so I'll be watching it tonight!
    If you have On Demand with your cable service, just watch that. The only reason True Blood & Dexter are the only current TV shows I'm caught up on is thanks to On Demand.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior Piccolo Daimaoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,232
    Not a bad premier. I'm hooked. I thought Sean Bean was great.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •