Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: HBO's A Song of Ice and Fire: A Game of Thrones

I'm very excited about the renewal. I am almost finished reading all of the books, which makes me more excited for Season 3 and 4.

How about that giant?

That giant was a nice surprise. I didn't think they would make the cut. If anyone has an android phone and wants the books, there's an app called Song of Ice and Fire Series that is the first 4 books and it's free.
    On Twitter @DualHares

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    How about that giant?
    The giant was nice and surprising!!! I hope to see more otherworldly creatures of Westeros.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Episode 2

This was much better and things have moved in motion, enjoyed most of the story threads.

Theon gets mysteriously captured and tortured and the good stuff hasn't even started yet.

Much like with Baristan Selmy last week, they fast forwarded two major things. The Hound meets Arya with the Brotherhood without Banners and Jaime/Brienne get captured right away. Both are my personal favorite storylines so I'm all for getting to the good parts. I liked Gendry pointing out Arya's choice of deaths last season.

Another highlight was Margarie playing Joffrey quite easily while she and her awesome grandmother get information from Sansa. She's playing a great game. Joffrey being a complete **** to Cersei is also awesome. It is how she raised him.

Bran meets the Reeds. Kind of a weird transition into traveling buddies when they never explained why or what they're doing here. So Bran is a warg, which we learned from Jon's scene earlier, is that he can take over animals and see what they see. This should be pretty cool with the wolves. I took personal interest in them mentioning their dad is Howland Reed, so one day he can confirm a popular theory, maybe.

The kid playing Bran is growing super fast.

They finally made Cat sympathetic towards Jon, something I don't think she's ever shown. If she asked to make him a Stark, why wasn't he called one?

Sam, Jon, Tyrion pretty much had a cameo each, not much going on yet. Lots of new ground with Shae both this and last season. Still not sure where that is going with her, but I like that feeling.

Solid episode, went by fast.

Brienne vs. Jaime! It's always good to see the Hound again.

"___________ the King's Guard.
    ___________ the city.
    ____________ the king."

" ________ the water! Bring me wine!"

"Look at me. Stannis is a killer. The Lannisters are killers. Your father was a killer. Your brother is a killer. Your sons will be killers someday. The world was built by killers. So you’d better get used to looking at them.”

LMAO!

The kid playing Bran is growing super fast.
    LOL, I noticed that too. Puberty is hitting hard! Each season is a year of production, right?

They finally made Cat sympathetic towards Jon, something I don't think she's ever shown. If she asked to make him a Stark, why wasn't he called one?
    I think Catelyn took back her tender feelings (and recovered from her guilt of wishing him dead) when Jon recovered from the pox. That's probably why he wasn't named as a Stark...
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; April 7, 2013 at 11:28pm.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think Catelyn took back her tender feelings (and recovered from her guilt of wishing him dead) when Jon recovered from the pox. That's probably why he wasn't named as a Stark...
    She said right in the episode that she couldn't keep her promise to the gods, thus she never asked for Jon to become a Stark. I'm sure she is the only one who was standing in the way of it in the first place.

Theon has been captured? Maybe I forgot, but did that happen during the final episode of season 2? I don't remember how he got there.

Quote Originally Posted by GP Legend View Post
    Theon has been captured? Maybe I forgot, but did that happen during the final episode of season 2? I don't remember how he got there.
    He was saying some big rousing speech in front of his men about fighting for Winterfell, but got conked in the head from behind by his own men who didn't want to sacrifice themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

In regards to tonight's episode:

That last scene: OUCH!!!! I must have rewound the DVR four times...

Something seems to be brewing between Jaime and Brienne.

Episode 3

I was dreading this moment, Jaime losing his hand. But this is also a start to great things. I'm just glad it's over. It seems Jaime isn't all bad. He was giving good advice to Brienne about getting raped and he genuinely wanted to save her from it. Terrible song to end that scene though. What the hell?

The rest I thought was enjoyable filler that's going to make for an awesome episode next week.

Theon escapes with help from a mysterious ally. Dany agrees to give up her best dragon for 8,000 men. Terrible idea, but she seems to know what she's doing. Arya is traveling. Some fun with Tyrion becoming the master of coin. Things not looking good at Crastor's keep. Little Finger is headed to see Cat's crazy sister. We meet Cat's brother and uncle.

I liked the show talking to the audience again. Jaime told us why he lost to Brienne and Melissandre explained why she can't just give birth to shadows whenever she feels like it.

Episode 3

I was dreading this moment, Jaime losing his hand. But this is also a start to great things. I'm just glad it's over. It seems Jaime isn't all bad. He was giving good advice to Brienne about getting raped and he genuinely wanted to save her from it.
    Yeah, I was getting that from Jaime too. There have been hints to Jaime having some honor and despising his "Kingslayer" title, back when he was upset that one of his guards speared Ned Stark from behind. Tywin Lanninster didn't like the idea of honor and wanted Jaime to win by whatever means necessary.

Terrible song to end that scene though. What the hell?
    Yeah! I felt like I was watching the credits to Shameless or something.

Also loved Hot Pie's goodbye to Arya. Little things like that are done extremely well on this show.

the giant was great.
    the show is boring as hell-

Rewatching the musical chairs scene with Tywinn. I wasn't paying attention last night, but its brilliant. Everyone wants to kiss his ass and sit close to him and they do it in character.

Little Finger moves first since he's the most ambitious. Varys let's him because he doesn't want to be seen as ambitious. Pycell third to remain relevant. Cersei grabs her own chair next to daddy because the rules don't apply to her. And Tyrion mocks it all and sits as far away as possible with as much effort as possible.

Movie mayhem!
    The ep tonight was epicly awesome!

Episode 4

Great episode.

This featured one of the coolest Dany moments. I guess she knew the entire time what she was doing and what the slave master was saying about her. She gains an army again, this time free men, and has three growing dragons to take the iron throne.

Lots of Varys this episode and his plotting. Great intro to him with his story about how he lost his manhood and how he gained power, as evidence by the man delivered to him in a box. We go back to the playful conversation in season 1 between he and Littlefinger and that rivalry still lives on. Varys gets wind of Sansa being a pawn and wants to use it to his advantage. Great scene between he and the queen of thorns. Actually really loving all the brand new scenes with her. Hopefully she has a conversation with Tywinn. Would love to see those two great actors share a scene. No idea what they'd talk about.

The Tyrells are on top of their game with Margarie controlling Joffrey and securing Sansa and the North, if she weds her brother. Cersei tries to put a stop to whatever she thinks they're up to and Tywinn shuts her down while writing some letters which seem to need his attention more than his daughter. Wonder what he's writing.

Theon I think was pretty much absent in these books and HBO has done a great job of including some great scenes with him. I liked how he admitted Ned Stark was his real father and he made the wrong choice before getting captured and tortured again. Also a great job of keeping a mystery of who or what his "savior" is.

Hard to watch Jaime pretty much dead without his sword hand. That's all he had in this world, although his wit and intelligence might still give him a chance at life or revenge as Brienne tried putting it.

Then there's the Hound. This episode was full of scene stealers. Loved what he said about his brother and how he can't be guilty of the crimes of House Clegane, a name his brother built on murder, rape, and torture of innocents. Much like most of Martin's "bad" characters, the Hound doesn't seem all that bad, despite all the bad things he's done. Also love trials by combat on this show.

And Lord Mormont is killed by his own men. This was a good wake up call that the Nights Watch is made up of thieves, murderers, and low lives, mostly. Sam runs away with Gilly and his daughter. I was hoping we'd get something from Mormont about his son Jorah, but I guess not.

This was a great episode with a lot of cool set pieces. I couldn't wait to see how Dany gets the slaves after reading about it in the book. The scene was perfect. I clapped when Drogon began to burn the slave master.

Next week looks good, too, with yet another huge scene with the Hound.

After reading the books, I can't wait to see how they do some of the other big scenes later on in the season.

Episode 4

Great episode.

This featured one of the coolest Dany moments. I guess she knew the entire time what she was doing and what the slave master was saying about her. She gains an army again, this time free men, and has three growing dragons to take the iron throne.

Lots of Varys this episode and his plotting. Great intro to him with his story about how he lost his manhood and how he gained power, as evidence by the man delivered to him in a box. We go back to the playful conversation in season 1 between he and Littlefinger and that rivalry still lives on. Varys gets wind of Sansa being a pawn and wants to use it to his advantage. Great scene between he and the queen of thorns. Actually really loving all the brand new scenes with her. Hopefully she has a conversation with Tywinn. Would love to see those two great actors share a scene. No idea what they'd talk about.

The Tyrells are on top of their game with Margarie controlling Joffrey and securing Sansa and the North, if she weds her brother. Cersei tries to put a stop to whatever she thinks they're up to and Tywinn shuts her down while writing some letters which seem to need his attention more than his daughter. Wonder what he's writing.

Theon I think was pretty much absent in these books and HBO has done a great job of including some great scenes with him. I liked how he admitted Ned Stark was his real father and he made the wrong choice before getting captured and tortured again. Also a great job of keeping a mystery of who or what his "savior" is.

Hard to watch Jaime pretty much dead without his sword hand. That's all he had in this world, although his wit and intelligence might still give him a chance at life or revenge as Brienne tried putting it.

Then there's the Hound. This episode was full of scene stealers. Loved what he said about his brother and how he can't be guilty of the crimes of House Clegane, a name his brother built on murder, rape, and torture of innocents. Much like most of Martin's "bad" characters, the Hound doesn't seem all that bad, despite all the bad things he's done. Also love trials by combat on this show.

And Lord Mormont is killed by his own men. This was a good wake up call that the Nights Watch is made up of thieves, murderers, and low lives, mostly. Sam runs away with Gilly and his daughter. I was hoping we'd get something from Mormont about his son Jorah, but I guess not.
    You should seek out the Masterpiece Theater remake of Rebecca that starred Rigg as Mrs. Danvers and Charles Dance as Maxim DeWinter. I don't think they had long conversations with each other, but they were both great in it.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Episode 5

Another strong and loaded episode. They're moving things really fast as I've always hoped for this and next season.

The Hound wins his trial by combat by killing Lord Beric. Beric comes back to life and has many times it seems. Interesting thing to note, both Thoros of Myr and Melissandre worship the same red god, but have completely different uses for it's magic. I liked Jorah and Selmy reminiscing about Thoros's flaming sword later in the episode. Jaime and Jory did the same back in season one and now we have a better picture of it.

Speaking of Jaime, he and Brienne seem safe in the hands of Lord Bolton, which is odd considering which side he's fighting for. We find out there's a lot more to Jaime killing the Mad King than simply just breaking his vows, saving the whole city of innocents from the Mad King.

Robb executes Rickard Karstark and loses another family and army in his cause. His new plan is to make peace with Walder Frey. Worth a shot.

Jon Snow breaks his vows and beds Ygritte. His story this season has been pretty slow. I'm assuming it'll pick up super fast next season, unless things suddenly change now at the half way point.

We meet Stannis's wife and daughter finally. His wife is pretty out there like Lyssa Arryn and has jars full of babies. Something off about the way his daughter looks as well, but she seems to have it together.

And finally we have the big scheme of the Tyrells, Lannisters, and Little Finger all trying to secure Sansa to take control of the North. This ended brilliantly as Tywinn grabbed both his powerful kids by the ears and shrank with fatherly easy as he arranged Tyrion to wed Sansa and Cersei to wed Loras. They also squeezed out another scene with the Queen of Thorns with a difference character. Still hoping she has a chat with Tywinn.

We're at the half way point and things are moving really fast.
    Last edited by SCB; April 28, 2013 at 11:21pm.

After last week's great episode, this one is even better, provided you prefer character development over pure "Oh WOW!!!" moments...

Does Stannis's daughter have gray scale? I can't remember if she did or not.

Yes she does.

Yes she does.
    Thanks for clarifying. The books and show are so dense that I missed a lot of things. I feel the need to rewatch this episode since there were so many character-driven moments.

I rewatch the episodes the next day. I love those conversations, especially this season.

- - - Updated - - -

Episode 6

This episode kind of felt like filler after the last few very strong episodes we've had. Although, everything that did happen tonight is going somewhere.

Jon and Ygritte climb the gigantic wall and might be the only happy moment in the episode. Ygritte tells Jon she knows he's still a member of the Night's Watch because of how loyal he is. She's okay with it as long as he's loyal to her because as wildlings they're all just expendable soldiers to their king. I don't think that was in the book, but nice little add on that expands on this relationship and makes sense.

My fantasy finally came true. Tywinn and the Queen of Thorns finally shared the screen together. She's put everyone in their place this season, except Tywinn, the most powerful man in the seven kingdoms.

Another cool non-book moment was Melissandre meeting the Brotherhood without Banners, especially Thors of Myr. Both of them use the magic of the red god. She takes Gendry with her. I think they're getting rid of Edric Storm from the books and just using Gendry, especially since Edric was one of the names of the dead babies in jars last week. Kind of an interesting moment with Mel and Arya. Having read the books, not sure where this is headed. Good.

Making peace between King Robb and the Frey's are set in motion. His uncle has to marry a Frey this time.

Lord Bolton is allowing Jaime to go back home, but has to leave Brienne behind. Jaime is great in this scene with the subtleties.

A lot more torture and trolling of Theon and we still don't know who that is. Guessing the big reveal will be in the finale since they've dragged it on.

And the show ends, well almost, with Little Finger's evil speech about, well his part in many things and how it ends for some people. Roz is killed off by Joffrey. What was the purpose of any of her scenes on this show?

I rewatch the episodes the next day. I love those conversations, especially this season.

- - - Updated - - -

Episode 6

This episode kind of felt like filler after the last few very strong episodes we've had. Although, everything that did happen tonight is going somewhere.

Jon and Ygritte climb the gigantic wall and might be the only happy moment in the episode. Ygritte tells Jon she knows he's still a member of the Night's Watch because of how loyal he is. She's okay with it as long as he's loyal to her because as wildlings they're all just expendable soldiers to their king. I don't think that was in the book, but nice little add on that expands on this relationship and makes sense.

My fantasy finally came true. Tywinn and the Queen of Thorns finally shared the screen together. She's put everyone in their place this season, except Tywinn, the most powerful man in the seven kingdoms.

Another cool non-book moment was Melissandre meeting the Brotherhood without Banners, especially Thors of Myr. Both of them use the magic of the red god. She takes Gendry with her. I think they're getting rid of Edric Storm from the books and just using Gendry, especially since Edric was one of the names of the dead babies in jars last week. Kind of an interesting moment with Mel and Arya. Having read the books, not sure where this is headed. Good.

Making peace between King Robb and the Frey's are set in motion. His uncle has to marry a Frey this time.

Lord Bolton is allowing Jaime to go back home, but has to leave Brienne behind. Jaime is great in this scene with the subtleties.

A lot more torture and trolling of Theon and we still don't know who that is. Guessing the big reveal will be in the finale since they've dragged it on.

And the show ends, well almost, with Little Finger's evil speech about, well his part in many things and how it ends for some people. Roz is killed off by Joffrey. What was the purpose of any of her scenes on this show?
    I agree with a lot of what you said. The Queen of Thorns / Tywin scene was really good. Plus, the Gendry for Edric switch makes sense. Tywin is turning into one of the most dynamic portrayals on the show.

With regards to the Roz scenes, her character didn't demonstrate that much purpose. But last nights scene was probably meant to show that Littlefinger got the upper hand on Varys.