Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HBO's A Song of Ice and Fire: A Game of Thrones

It seemed pretty good if a bit dense; I say that as someone who never got around to reading the series, so it's all new to me. It would've been nice had there been a prologue to establish some of the background that I read up after I saw it online.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

Never read the books, and had to watch it twice to process it all, but I am looking forward to where this is going. It makes Camelot look like Suckalot. Get it?

I enjoyed it but as others have said there was a lot of information to take in so a prologue might of been helpful.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

The book is similar in that there is a lot of stuff that's not all explained from the beginning. At first you feel a little lost, but as it progresses more and more is revealed.

Movie mayhem!
    Glad you guys seem to be liking it! believe me it only gets better from here! And its true the book is designed to have things not be totally clear at first. Thats part of the fun, so if you stick with it it will pay off. Some really crazy surprises ahead!

OH AND GOOD NEWS! Game of Thrones is officially picked up for a second season after just one episode!!

http://grrm.livejournal.com/211736.html

If you had a hard time following the story in the first episode, this does a pretty good job of laying down whose who.

And a summary of the episode, spoilers obviously

Three men of the Night's Watch (who guard the Wall to the north of Westeros) encounter strange happenings in the woods. White Walkers appear and slaughter two of the men, leaving the youngest to flee for his life.

The scene switches to Winterfell, the northern kingdom watched over by Lord Eddard (Ned) Stark. His young son Bran practices archery, though he isn't very good. Ned's youngest daughter, Arya, seems much more proficient with a bow and arrow. The deserter from the Night's Watch is found, and Ned must carry out his death sentence, as the Starks follow the old ways where the man who passes the sentence should do the deed as well instead of using a headsman. He orders Bran to accompany him, despite protests from his wife Catelyn. Ned beheads the deserter, with Bran, eldest son Robb, and ******* son Jon Snow as witnesses.

Upon their return, the Starks come upon a dead stag, its belly torn open and its entrails strewn on the ground. They discover that the stag was killed by a direwolf, even though the creatures haven't been seen south of the Wall in many generations. The direwolf was itself killed by the stag's antler, but she left behind pups. There are five pups, one for each of the Stark children. Jon suggests that this is a sign, since the direwolf is the sigil of the Stark clan and that they should bring the pups back for the Stark children to raise. Ned agrees, but it turns out that there is another pup: a white one with red eyes. This sixth pup goes to Jon.

Afterward there is news from King's Landing: the King's Hand (Jon Arryn) has died. Catelyn's sister was married to Arryn and Ned was raised by him, so this is devastating news. But there is even more news, King Robert himself is coming to Winterfell, along with his wife, Queen Cersei (along with her twin brother Jaime and younger brother, the dwarf Tyrion) and his eldest son Joffrey.

Winterfell prepares a feast to welcome the king, and Ned's eldest daughter Sansa has eyes on prince Joffrey. Alone, King Robert confides in Ned. They are old friends, and the King wishes Ned to be his new Hand, taking care of the kingdom while Robert eats, drinks, and ****** his way to an early grave. He also suggests that Sansa be betrothed to Joffrey to solidify their alliance.

Jon finds a kind of kindred spirit with Tyrion, as they are both outcasts in their respective families. Jon because he is a *******, and Tyrion because he is a dwarf.

Meanwhile across the Narrow Sea, Viserys Targaryen plots to overthrow King Robert and reclaim the throne usurped from his father. To this end, he is about to marry his sister Daenerys off to the leader of the Dothraki, Khal Drogo. He will then have the Dothraki's formidable army at his disposal. Daenerys does not want to enter into the marriage, but Viserys is insistent, and doesn't care for her feelings. He only cares about reclaiming his birthright.

The wedding ceremony is Dothrakian, with public sex and fights to the death as a means of entertainment. Daenerys receives gifts from the guests, among them three petrified dragon's eggs. She receives a white horse from Drogo as a present, but she is still uncomfortable with him. She doesn't speak Dothrakian and Drogo doesn't speak the Common Tongue, which makes the consummation of their marriage even more difficult for Daenerys.

Ned has agreed to become the King's Hand, but there comes more troubling news from Catelyn's sister. She suspects that Jon Arryn, her husband, was murdered, and that Ned will be in danger, if he goes to King's Landing. After the king and Ned leave for a boar hunt, young Bran sneaks up the outer walls of Winterfell as he love to climb. He stumbles upon Jaime having sex with his twin sister Cersei. Jaime casually shoves the young Stark out the window, and Bran plummets towards the ground.,
    Last edited by SCB; April 25, 2011 at 05:48am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Movie mayhem!
    Thats a good overview

So thoughts on tonights episode???

Episode 2

Never read the books and had to do a lot of research to understand the what was going on in the first episode, but after finally catching up, I love this show.

Tyrion and Arya stole the show in this one. I hope these two live a very long time, especially Arya.

Love the line that's being divided between the Lannisters and the Starks, very chilling and scared to see where it's headed.

Joffrey is a great villain, Lucius Mafloy, but worse.

Loved and hated the dire wolves scenes. I loved them being the protected of the Stark family, hated two of their fates.

Interesting that this show has two such vindictive brothers from opposing families in Jaime and Viserys.

We got a little taste of The Hound.

Can't wait for next week. Also noticed this show is taking the exclamation point style cliffhangers every week in the style of the first season of Spartacus.

We got Spartacus, Camalot and now this. TV is rocking the swords and such lately.

The Games of Thrones pilot was the strongest pilot I have seen in quite a while. Looking forward to watching the second one.

There is a great apitite for this stuff lately as I always knew there was. Folk just needed to be given uncompromising shows and movies that don't pretend to be anything else but whatbthey are.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Memorable Quotes from Episode 1

‎"I'm not trying to honor you, I'm trying to get you to run my kingdom while I eat drink and ***** my way to an early grave."

‎"The things I do for love"

" i would let the dothrakie soldiers all 40,000 of them, sweet sister, **** you and all their horses if it helps me win my crown"'

"Let me give you some advice *******. Never forget who you are, ******* or not, because no one else will forget, wear it, own it and then it cannot hurt you" then Jon says to tyrion 'what do you know of being a *******?' Tyrion replies "Every Dwarf is a ******* in their fathers eyes."

"I don't fight in tournaments because when I fight a man for real, I don't want him to know what I can do."

"He who passes the sentence swings the sword."

‎"But i dont want to be his queen....i want to go home"

"A Dothraki wedding without atleast 3 deaths is considered a dull affair"

The books have been heavily reccommended to me for years by some of my friends, but I'd never gotten around to reading them, but I have tuned into the show and it's been AWESOME. I will read the books once I've finished the series I've got going now, but for now I really enjoy just seeing where each episode goes.

I think I liked this episode more then the first. It's moving along quite nicely.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

Movie mayhem!
    THe only thing is I wish the wolves looked a little more imposing, but maybe they aren't fully grown yet?

They can't be. I think only a month has gone by since Bran fell.

Movie mayhem!
    I supose thats true. So maybe they are purposefully making them "cute" at this point so that later on they can look different.

Filler episode tonight compared to last week, and the first episode. I know the show is dedicated to the book readers, but I hope the pace picks up for us new fans.

Things I liked

- Viserys "waking the dragon" only to be whipped by the Dokrathi.

- Arya's progression into a warrior, including her new teacher at the end.

- Tyrion's random journey and interactions with anyone.

- Hate Sansa. She still takes Joffrey's side after Lady being killed.

- The backhanded compliments between Ned and Jaime.

Movie mayhem!
    So... as usual, I went to Professor Thom's tonight here in NYC for their weekly viewing party... and GUESS WHO WALKS IN!?!? GEORGE R R MARTIN! NO JOKE!! I couldn't believe my eyes, and I have to say I totally geeked out. He hung out with all of his fans all night and showed up with out any warning. So friendly and cool!

And yes... a picture!

EDIT: Just saw today that Game of Thrones is climbing the Mainstream book chart and is currently sitting at #3

EDIT2: ALright so what did people think of the most recent episode! I thought it was really great. That scene they added was kinda interesting... neat way to do it I think.

Interesting episode

We finally got to meet the Mountain and learn a little about the Hound.

We met Samwell, looking forward to seeing where he and Jon go in the future. Also finally got to see Jon's Direwolf, Ghost.

I'm liking Dany's progression against her brother.

I still feel like I'm in the dark about what's going on due to not reading the books with Ned's investigation. I loved his interactions with the queen, lots of backhanded compliments in Lannister style.

On the other hand, I'm now really liking Jaime and his attitude towards things.

Movie mayhem!
    If I remember correctly even the books keep you kinda in the dark about whats going on there. You basically learn things as ned does.

Best episode of the season.

The Mountain and Hound fight - epic. My only complaint is they beheaded a real horse for that scene.

Fantastic story telling - combining Ned and Cat's separate stories together with the King and Lannisters.

Tyrion steals the show despite all of that.

Movie mayhem!
    That Ep was SOOOOOO good! I couldn't believe that scene they added with Renly...i mean its hinted about alot in the books but.. wow...

Court Magician
    This is the best show on television. Can't wait for TWO episodes next Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Best episode of the season.

The Mountain and Hound fight - epic. My only complaint is they beheaded a real horse for that scene.
    Best episode so far, agreed!
    But where did you hear they beheaded a real horse? I find it hard to believe they would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    This is the best show on television. Can't wait for TWO episodes next Sunday.
    we get two episodes next week? Sweet!
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

They didn't behead a real horse, but I've seen people complain on other boards that they did and this show is has too much animal cruelty when you combine Ned killing the dire wolf.

Movie mayhem!
    Well...as horrible as it is, the first death you mentioned is essential I think to the character development of multiple characters. As for the horse, that doesn't happen in the book... I was shocked to say the least, not just that they changed it, but just that that was a horrifyingly shocking image!