Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 322

Thread: HBO's A Song of Ice and Fire: A Game of Thrones

  1. #51
    Heroic Master of Maturity SCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    7,644
    Yeah but they're fine with all the human deaths.

  2. #52
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,795
    well... winter IS coming.

  3. #53
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,386
    I watched the first episode of this show during free HBO preview week. I thought it was a good story but was turned off by the gratuitous sex. It's a little too racy for me as a TV show.

    BUT I picked up the book and couldn't put it down. I'm about 2/3rds of the way through Class of Kings right now. Amazing! I'm glad to have found this series.

  4. #54
    Master of Good Hair Eamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Irish but live in UK
    Posts
    16,274
    I find it funny that folks can handle lots of blood and gruesome stuff on their TV but heaven forbid we see a pair of boobs or some balls!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

  5. #55
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    I find it funny that folks can handle lots of blood and gruesome stuff on their TV but heaven forbid we see a pair of boobs or some balls!
    Seriously. Americans are so prudish!

  6. #56
    Master of Good Hair Eamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Irish but live in UK
    Posts
    16,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntumbuluku View Post
    Seriously. Americans are so prudish!
    I didn't say prudish. I just said "funny" as in odd.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

  7. #57
    Heroic Warrior Greyskull09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,097
    I like this show allot but does anyone think they will do a Boromir to Sean Bean. For the last guy who was Hand to the king in this series died.

  8. #58
    Lumpy Space Person Brad2dbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    As for the horse, that doesn't happen in the book... I was shocked to say the least, not just that they changed it, but just that that was a horrifyingly shocking image!
    Actually that's exactly what happened in the book. On page 315 of the mass market trade it says "Gregor Clegane killed the horse with a single blow of such ferocity that it half severed the animal's neck."

    As for people complaining about the animal cruelty- do those people care that the Hound murdered the butcher's boy? Killing people is fine, just leave the animals alone. Whatever

    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    I find it funny that folks can handle lots of blood and gruesome stuff on their TV but heaven forbid we see a pair of boobs or some balls!
    We love violence in America, but sex is icky! Yeah, we're pretty backwards that way I'd say, and yes it's funny (almost as funny as people getting more upset over dead animals than over people).

    Quote Originally Posted by Greyskull09 View Post
    I like this show allot but does anyone think they will do a Boromir to Sean Bean. For the last guy who was Hand to the king in this series died.
    IIRC the last 5 Hands were all killed, except for one. I'm not saying that means anything will happen to Ned, but I do know the answer.

  9. #59
    That Marvelous SOB sonofblaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Posts
    6,650
    I'm loving this show so much. Never read the books and I'm thinking about getting them (audio style) to listen too during my hours of weekend Warcraft time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    We love violence in America, but sex is icky! Yeah, we're pretty backwards that way I'd say, and yes it's funny (almost as funny as people getting more upset over dead animals than over people).
    My take is that while I don't care one way or another about sex in a show (I just think it's gratuitous more than icky) I don't care if it has it. I'm of the proper mind that if you don't want your kids to see it, don't let them watch it. I personally wouldn't shy my kids away from violence (within reason... the difference between watching Freddy Krueger with them or Jigsaw) because violence is easy to explain away. A child can more easilly process that it's not cool to maim and murder. However, I'll steer them away from the sex, because unlike violence the sex is glorified and presented as a good thing in nearly all media. So I'll avoid my daughter becoming a Fun-Girl as much as I can. In fact, at age 10, I plan on feeding her all the sweets and goodies I can to cultivate obesity and pimples so no boy will want her unless he's a good guy. I don't know WHY Mrs. SOB doesn't agree with that idea... hmmm....

    As for the horse, I think it (like Ned and the Direwolf) served to illustrate The Mountain's character. BTW, the best part of that fight was the end, when the Hound knelt to his king, just avoiding a decapitation. Also some character shown there in him. I'm just in love with this show.
    Last edited by sonofblaine; May 22, 2011 at 08:37am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

  10. #60
    Lumpy Space Person Brad2dbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,616
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofblaine View Post
    I'm loving this show so much. Never read the books and I'm thinking about getting them (audio style) to listen too during my hours of weekend Warcraft time.
    I hate audiobooks, because I feel like the reader always seems to find a way to ruin it, by reading too slow, or over-acting, or whatever. However, the first three SoIaF books are read by Roy Dotrice, and he does a phenomenal job, so I highly recommend them. The 4th book is completely ruined by the reader, who is some other guy, but George RR says Roy will be back for the 5th book.

    Quote Originally Posted by sonofblaine View Post
    unlike violence the sex is glorified and presented as a good thing in nearly all media.
    Sex is a good thing, but I don't think you meant to say it's not, so we don't need to argue that point. Judging by how you've made your point in relation to what kids watch I think I know what you really meant.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofblaine View Post
    So I'll avoid my daughter becoming a Fun-Girl as much as I can. In fact, at age 10, I plan on feeding her all the sweets and goodies I can to cultivate obesity and pimples so no boy will want her unless he's a good guy. I don't know WHY Mrs. SOB doesn't agree with that idea... hmmm....
    Excellent idea. I had considered placing a dating ban on my daughter until she's 21, but you're idea might work even better.

  11. #61
    Heroic Master of Maturity SCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    7,644
    Two things

    1. How would killing Khal Drogo's wife prevent war as opposed to starting one?
    2. Why are they playing episode 7 on HBO.com tonight instead of making us wait?

  12. #62
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    Actually that's exactly what happened in the book. On page 315 of the mass market trade it says "Gregor Clegane killed the horse with a single blow of such ferocity that it half severed the animal's neck."

    As for people complaining about the animal cruelty- do those people care that the Hound murdered the butcher's boy? Killing people is fine, just leave the animals alone. Whatever


    We love violence in America, but sex is icky! Yeah, we're pretty backwards that way I'd say, and yes it's funny (almost as funny as people getting more upset over dead animals than over people).



    IIRC the last 5 Hands were all killed, except for one. I'm not saying that means anything will happen to Ned, but I do know the answer.
    Wow i totally dont remember that...thats def not how Ned got hurt tho is it?...i thought a horse fell on him

    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Two things

    1. How would killing Khal Drogo's wife prevent war as opposed to starting one?
    2. Why are they playing episode 7 on HBO.com tonight instead of making us wait?
    I think they are trying to push their hbogo servive and its a way to entice peeople to try it
    Last edited by Patreek; May 22, 2011 at 04:53pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  13. #63
    Heroic Warrior Greyskull09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,097
    Anybody else was hoping Ned would either Cut off Jaime's hand or gut him like a fish.

  14. #64
    Heroic Master of Maturity SCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    7,644
    I'm actually really starting to like Jaime and his attitude. I hated him when he pushed Bran, because of the things he does for love, but I'm liking his swagger around King Robert's ******* in front of him and how he felt when he heard Tyrion was taken by Cat.

    So you can watch next week's episode on hbogo.com after tonight's episode, but only if your cable provider supports it. I have Time-Warner, so I have no access. Hoping it will show up on torrents later tonight though.

    EDIT

    Best episode of the season, again.

    Greatest crowning moment ever. Danys is a true dragon.

    Tyrion continues to be the show stealer, showing his wits and survival skills against those idiotic female Starks and Tullys. He also drove home the point of a Lannister always paying his debts.

    King Robert going hunting while drunk obviously can't end well.

    Interesting of Ned to go after The Mountain and the Lannisters this directly, along with taking an interest in Joffrey's hair color.

    Hopefully catch the next episode later tonight.
    Last edited by SCB; May 22, 2011 at 10:23pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  15. #65
    Lumpy Space Person Brad2dbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,616
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    T
    1. How would killing Khal Drogo's wife prevent war as opposed to starting one?
    Because she's the last Targaryen. In many people's eyes her son (should she have one) would be the rightful heir to the iron throne, but the Dothraki hate the sea, so they don't pose much of a threat. All of Westeros would oppose a Dothraki invasion, but many would support a Targaryen invasion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    thats def not how Ned got hurt tho is it?...i thought a horse fell on him
    Correct. Jaime and Ned don't fight in the book. Ned's horse falls on him as he trys to defend his men from Jaime's cronies.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    I'm actually really starting to like Jaime and his attitude. I hated him when he pushed Bran, because of the things he does for love, but I'm liking his swagger around King Robert's ******* in front of him and how he felt when he heard Tyrion was taken by Cat.
    Now you're starting to see a large part of the book's appeal. The book doesn't really have bad guys and good guys, just players, and almost all of them are possible to sympathize with.

  16. #66
    Heroic Master of Maturity SCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    7,644
    Episode 7 thoughts in white text


    This was even better than the previous two. Tons of events are set in motion.

    -Tywin Lannister gives a speech to Jaime about the status of the Lannisters and the legacy they should leave behind, inspiring Jaime to act on behalf of the family and free Tyrion.

    -Ned tells Cersei he knows about the incest. She doesn't deny it and is instead proud of it, it's the same way the Targarians have kept their blood line strong.

    -Robert is in his death bed after getting mauled by a boar and appoints Ned the ruler of the realm til Joffrey is old enough to be king. Joffrey and Cersei are having none of this and orders the death of Ned and all his men. Show ends with Little Finger's blade on Ned's throat reminding him that he can't be trusted.

    - One of Robert's spies tries to poison Dany, but the man is caught. Drogo now wants to go to war and give his unborn son the iron throne.

    Things are really moving in fast forward now.

  17. #67
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,795
    I just rewatched ep 5... such a great episode. Prob will rewatch 6 tomorrow and then check out the preview of 7

  18. #68
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    **SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST 2 EPISODES**





    I just started watching this(only the first 2 episodes so far), but I honestly don't think I can continue doing so. I want the Lannister twins & the king's son dead NOW. Since this season is probably based on the first book and I'm sure at least 1, if not all 3, of those characters are still around in the most recent book, I honestly don't think I can enjoy watching this. I can get past the incest and attemped murder of a child, but to kill an innocent animal just to make a point? I was literally seething by the end of episode 2.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  19. #69
    Heroic Master of Maturity SCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    7,644
    Are you okay with all the humans being killed such as the butcher's boy? When you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground.

  20. #70
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,795
    I almost stopped reading the books at that point... most people i know that have read them have said the same, but I'm really glad I kept reading. Some of the best books I've ever read. Just as in many origins a heart breaking death like that is part of what transforms the characters.

  21. #71
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    I almost stopped reading the books at that point... most people i know that have read them have said the same, but I'm really glad I kept reading. Some of the best books I've ever read. Just as in many origins a heart breaking death like that is part of what transforms the characters.
    If it bothered you as well and you kept going, I'll probably do the same. That just shows how powerful the show is if it brought out such a visceral reaction in me. I guess when it's kids & animals killed for no reason at all(I'm assuming the butcher's boy is dead, but I wasn't sure), it affects me a lot more than an adult even if it's only fiction.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  22. #72
    Heroic Warrior Greyskull09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,097
    Really there is one death i want and i know it happens sooner or later.

  23. #73
    Heroic Master of Maturity SCB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    7,644
    Game of Thrones for Dummies - great video recaps and cliff notes of the episodes







  24. #74
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    I'm finally caught up but am really curious how Martin is able to keep this up for 7 books(or however long it's supposed to be). I think it's a really good show, but if something happens to either Tyrion or Arya, I'm out.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  25. #75
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    If it bothered you as well and you kept going, I'll probably do the same. That just shows how powerful the show is if it brought out such a visceral reaction in me. I guess when it's kids & animals killed for no reason at all(I'm assuming the butcher's boy is dead, but I wasn't sure), it affects me a lot more than an adult even if it's only fiction.
    Yea, I've actually thrown these books quite a few times and that was one the biggest one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •