Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HBO's A Song of Ice and Fire: A Game of Thrones

I just caught up and I'm loving this show! I've never read the books, but the story is really captivating and so well done.

Also, I love the opening credit animation. HBO is usually great at those anyway.

Really nervous after Episode 7, which most of you will see tonight, to where everyone is headed.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Also, I love the opening credit animation. HBO is usually great at those anyway.
    This is the one thing I'm disappointed with in this show. While I like the "theme song", I find the mechanical map too busy and unpleasant aesthetically. I feel the openings to Six Feet Under, True Blood, and even the simplicity of The Sopranos to be so much more inspired.

Imho that it.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Little Finger's advice to the two ******, with all the moaning, you might miss what he's really saying about how to play the game, instead of just servicing a john.

Littlefinger: Slowly. You're not fooling them. They just paid you, they know what you are. They know its all just an act. You're job is to make them forget what they know. Now that takes time. You need to ease into it. Go ahead, ease into it. He's winning you over in spite of yourself. You're starting to like this. He wants to believe you. He's enjoyed his **** since he was old enough to play with it, why shouldn't you? He knows he's better than other men. He's always known it deep down inside, now he has proof. He's so good he's reaching something deep inside of you that no one even knew was there, overcoming your very nature.

Littlefinger: You know what I learned losing that duel? I learned I'll never win. Not that way. That's their game. Their rules. I'm not going to fight them. I'm going to *beep* them. That's what I know. That's what I am. And only by admitting what we are can we get what we want.

Ros: And what do you want?

Littlefinger:
    Oh, everything my dear. Everything there is.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Really nervous after Episode 7, which most of you will see tonight, to where everyone is headed.
    I know you mean and i am not sure can watch episode 9 if it goes the way i assume its gonna go. truth is i have no idea what to expect but its doesn't look good for Boromir.

Little Finger's advice to the two ******, with all the moaning, you might miss what he's really saying about how to play the game, instead of just servicing a john.
    Exactly. It's actually a brilliant little scene. I keep seeing "OMG SO MUCH LESBIANS" or the like on the net but like everything else in this series, there's a lot going on there. It's an interesting way to have him pretty much yell and scream at the audience what will happen at the end of the episode... because you could be so distracted you don't really understand the full meaning of his words. I didn't at first, to be honest. I was surprised by the end, to be sure. He's not instructing the women about *******... he's telling them how he plays the game. It seems (right now) poor Ned has been his "John" all along. I say "right now" because at this point I don't know what to expect from this show... which is a great feeling.

Little Finger has kind of become Captain Exposition, but I also enjoyed him in past episodes as well.

In episode 6, he's pretty much being condescending to Ned and planting seeds for a Stark/Lannister war when he kept goading Ned with "that's the Tully sigil" when he heard Gregor left the fish and later when he asks Ned, "can you think of any reason the Lannisters might be angry about your wife?" Also let Ned know The Mountain was Twyin Lannister's dog.

And before that when he was telling Sansa the story of the Hound and Gregor in the creepiest way possible in front of everyone, but nobody noticed.

So great an episode! I've been listening to the audio books while playing Warcraft (extra nerdy, yeah?) and now that I'm up around where the show is, I don't know if I want to keep the book going or wait and follow the show.

As a lover of the written word, I say I should read, since3 so many people also know what's going on. But another side of me is enjoying have an hour drama on TV that keeps me riveted and looking forward to each week. I'm well aware that I'd still get that, but it would be somewhat diminished more to "I wonder when this will happen." rather than "I wonder WHAT will happen."

Opinions?
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Great episode again, lots of things I didn't expect to happen.
    Those GoT for dummies videos have some good info in them but the host is really annoying.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Exactly. It's actually a brilliant little scene. I keep seeing "OMG SO MUCH LESBIANS" or the like on the net but like everything else in this series, there's a lot going on there. It's an interesting way to have him pretty much yell and scream at the audience what will happen at the end of the episode... because you could be so distracted you don't really understand the full meaning of his words. I didn't at first, to be honest. I was surprised by the end, to be sure. He's not instructing the women about *******... he's telling them how he plays the game. It seems (right now) poor Ned has been his "John" all along. I say "right now" because at this point I don't know what to expect from this show... which is a great feeling.

I think if anything happens to Ned Id say Cersei will loose the North.

Nice insight into Episode 7 by HBO

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/e...&cmpid=ABC794#

And they have it for all episodes so far if GOT for Dummies is too hipster for you

Last edited by SCB; May 30, 2011 at 02:21pm. Reason: Winter is Coming

Thanks, just watch all them and checked out the HBO Viewers Guide site, very informative:

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Has anyone picked up on the animal symbolism?

In the first episode, the dire wolf (Stark Sigil) mom is killed by a stag (Baratheon sigil). I think this might signify the downfall of the Starks. They were pretty happy as a family, Jon Snow aside, being in Winterfell by themselves. King Robert showed up and pretty much changed their lives for the worst so far.

And now we see the Lannister dad skinning a stag (Baratheon sigil), which might be signifying that they had King Robert killed in the hunt with the Lannister boy getting Robert drunk.

Movie mayhem!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Has anyone picked up on the animal symbolism?

In the first episode, the dire wolf (Stark Sigil) mom is killed by a stag (Baratheon sigil). I think this might signify the downfall of the Starks. They were pretty happy as a family, Jon Snow aside, being in Winterfell by themselves. King Robert showed up and pretty much changed their lives for the worst so far.

And now we see the Lannister dad skinning a stag (Baratheon sigil), which might be signifying that they had King Robert killed in the hunt with the Lannister boy getting Robert drunk.
    Well and if you take that further, the dire wolf kills the stag first, but is mortally wounded in the process. Robert dies perhaps in part because of Ned, who won't leave Aryn's death alone and discovers too much, and who also keeps stepping on Robert's pride.

This is the one thing I'm disappointed with in this show. While I like the "theme song", I find the mechanical map too busy and unpleasant aesthetically. I feel the openings to Six Feet Under, True Blood, and even the simplicity of The Sopranos to be so much more inspired.

Imho that it.
    I'm the opposite. I love the clockwork map. I've always been into maps of fantasy settings at the biginning of a book, and this is like the film version of that. The opening sequence always gets me excited and I always end it at the big 3 note crescendo at the end when the title flies up, singing "Gaaame ooooof Throoooones!"
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Was Daenerys getting turned on during Drogo's speech?

I haven't found this show that difficult to follow but I do have 2 questions:

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

1) Is the youngest Stark child significant at all(the one that we haven't seen yet) or is it just because he's a baby?

2) In Episode 7, Ned tells Cersei that Bran saw her involved in incest. Did I miss someone telling him that or did he just come to that conclusion on his own?

Quote Originally Posted by sonofblaine View Post
    I'm the opposite. I love the clockwork map. I've always been into maps of fantasy settings at the biginning of a book, and this is like the film version of that. The opening sequence always gets me excited and I always end it at the big 3 note crescendo at the end when the title flies up, singing "Gaaame ooooof Throoooones!"
    I literally close my eyes during the opening of the show and keep them closed until the music stops.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; May 30, 2011 at 06:49pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    Well and if you take that further, the dire wolf kills the stag first, but is mortally wounded in the process. Robert dies perhaps in part because of Ned, who won't leave Aryn's death alone and discovers too much, and who also keeps stepping on Robert's pride.
    No wait a minute as Ned said to Baristan who blamed himself. Robert is his own enemy basically. Robert is a poor king and choose to not care about anything other then Killing Targ off spring.
    Still like to know why Ned seems to care what happens to Dany because he seems almost sorry for her being on Roberts wrath.

Ned is against women and children getting killed. It's his sense of honor, which got him to the position he is in at the end of episode 7.

2) In Episode 7, Ned tells Cersei that Bran saw her involved in incest. Did I miss someone telling him that or did he just come to that conclusion on his own?
    He came to it on his own after putting together all the other clues.
    Last edited by SCB; May 30, 2011 at 07:17pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ned is against women and children getting killed. It's his sense of honor, which got him to the position he is in at the end of episode 7.

The truth is Ned was right in a way because the assassin failed and by the attempt its prompted Drogo to be willing to come.

I think its more Littlefinger manuvering things to have Ned make this choice if ask me.
    Last edited by Greyskull09; May 31, 2011 at 12:09am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Robert's plan to kill Daenerys made no sense because it would have provoked Drogo to go to war, which it did. His thinking was that no matter what, Daenerys and Viscerayes just being alive, threatened Robert's claim to the throne. Had the assassin killed both siblings, and Drogo still went to war, Drogo wouldn't have the same claim without the Targaryans. He'd have to literally take the throne the same way Robert did from the mad king.

I'm really frustrated at Ned during episode 7.

Ned was just as naive as his wife in this one. He had every opportunity and warning to avoid what happened at the end. Renly warned him that Cersei won't care about the letter, she didn't. Little Finger told him to make peace with the Lannisters then replace Joffrey with Renly when the time is right. Lastly, Cersei gave him the best advice. When you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground. Cersei, to her credit, also gave Ned every opportunity to go back to Winterfell with his family and mind his own business.

Ned's stubborn sense of honor will never let him gain any political power and I fear will be the end of him.
    Last edited by SCB; May 31, 2011 at 01:12am.

Movie mayhem!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyskull09 View Post
    No wait a minute as Ned said to Baristan who blamed himself. Robert is his own enemy basically. Robert is a poor king and choose to not care about anything other then Killing Targ off spring.
    Still like to know why Ned seems to care what happens to Dany because he seems almost sorry for her being on Roberts wrath.
    I think its Neds constant reminder to Robert of the man he used to be versus the one he's become that causes Robert to act increasingly reckless ... like he has to prove himself. He knows Ned is right but he's too proud. Also many hands were killed before Ned and yet the King lived, it could be argued that had Ned not arrived Cercie may have not had him killed or at the very least may have waited much longer. I mean, when Ned basically tells Cercei he knows whats up, he leaves her little choice. Even if you still think Ned has nothing to do with Roberts demise, its still foreshadowing as they both their families are in shambles.

They guy who Plays Barristan you felt sorry for because he seemed upset Robert was mortally wounded. Probably is that another king died on his watch.

Heroic Warrior
    Still haven't watched any more of the show. But am about 1/4th of the way through Book 3 and continue to enjoy the story very much. My only complaint is that the story seems to be a little heavy on tribulation and light on payoff. My wife stopped reading because of the lack of payoffs.

I don't know what I'm going to do when I finish Book 5 (set for a July release). Seems like Martin takes quite awhile between books.

You guys trying to figure out the symbolism of the dire-wolf and stag-chew on this: in the book, there was no dead stag, just a stag's horn impaled in the dire-wolf, and the book had no scene with Tywin skinning a stag either. Although I do think you're on to something as far as the symbolism of the two houses causing each other's downfall.

1) Is the youngest Stark child significant at all(the one that we haven't seen yet) or is it just because he's a baby?
    In the first 4 books (the ones that have been published so far) Rickon doesn't play a significant role.

Robert's plan to kill Daenerys made no sense because it would have provoked Drogo to go to war, which it did. His thinking was that no matter what, Daenerys and Viscerayes just being alive, threatened Robert's claim to the throne. Had the assassin killed both siblings, and Drogo still went to war, Drogo wouldn't have the same claim without the Targaryans. He'd have to literally take the throne the same way Robert did from the mad king.
    The big difference between Robert and Drogo, is that Robert had the support of half the realm, that's an army of thousands. Drogo's Khalasar only numbers a few hundred, but if his army came to Westeros led by a Targaryen, many of the realm's lords and great lords (the ones who supported the Targayen's against Robert and lost) would side with the Targaryen's. Any living Targaryen poses a huge threat to whoever sits the iron throne, but the Dothraki by themselves pose little to no threat. They don't like the sea, so they've never crossed it, they don't wear armor and they don't siege castles. All any Lord would have to do to defeat them is bar the gates and wait for them to leave.

Ned is opposed to killing Danaerys, because of his overblown sense of honor. Not only is Dany a girl, but in the books she's a child of 13. Plus, as you've seen, Ned is a little naive, he doesn't see the threat Dany poses, he only sees a choice of honor or dishonor.