Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: HBO's A Song of Ice and Fire: A Game of Thrones

Just watched the preview on HBO's GoT website and next weeks episode is going to be the business!
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

I only just found out about this series through friends who claim it's that good. That good that a couple of them wish they could be in my shoes just to be able to experience finding out about it for the first time to watch it again ~ if that makes sense.

I very rarely watch TV (let alone TV shows) unless i come across an old TV show on the rare occasion i sit down while having a bite to eat. I just don't seem to have any interest but after hearing good reviews on GOR, i figured i'd give it a shot. Went out and bought the first season and i'll start watching it tonight...

Wow, great episode. That was a miniature Lord Of The Rings Battle of Helms Deep. Not going to summarize major this one, too much happened and need to see it again.

Hound was great in the most amount of screen time he's gotten. Lots of good Cersei scenes and we got to see the real Cersei from the books. The wild fire was amazing. Who needs dragons? They did a great job displaying Tyrion's tactical side. Half man half man! We got to see Pod finally as well. Too bad the Lannisters won. Arya really wasted her three deaths due to Twyinn's fatherly charm.

One more episode left. Too soon.

Re-watching the episode

- The Hound: you're just like me, except smaller. Love this line. Going to use this in real life when the time is right. Interesting side story they added with Hound and Bronn not in the books. I wonder if this will ever be explored later on in the show.

- DRUMS!

- Tyrion and Bronne are friends! The money just enhances it!

Sansa: I pray for your safe return

Tyrion: do you =)

Sansa: just as I do for Joffrey

Tyrion: =(

- Loved Sansa trolling Joffrey about being in the front lines. She is learning to how to play the game so well. She may survive this all yet.

- Loved the split second of the Hound being terrified of fire. Huge attention to detail and might be the sole reason for leaving the war and everything else, other than not believing in anything.

- Davos is becoming the new Ned Stark for me as far as rooting for a moral compass on the show. Coincidentally he's also chosen as the Hand of King Stannis.

Sansa: but you were Robert's queen!

Cersei: and you will be Joffrey's. Enjoy.

Owned!

"The world is made by killers. You better get used to looking at them"

- Sansa should have left with the Hound. The scene didn't make much sense, other than maybe Sansa not wanting to leave with a scary drunk. Plus she might have counted on Stannis winning.

This was Cersei's best episode of the two seasons easily. Lena's best performance ever? She was given amazing material, but she delivered it so well. She was the mean girl and turned into the mother letting her son drink the poison before getting massacred. This is the Cersei from the books, one that Jaime does all the bad things for.

This was also Tyrion's best episode. I'm not sure how this show would even work if Dinklage never signed on. And it was the Hound's best episode. Everything I've been complaining about with his lack of screen time was evident tonight with how great he came off, didn't hurt that Martin wrote the episode.

The amazing episode ends with the Tyrrels showing up with Tywinn to save the day and defeat Stannis. Guess Margarie can't be far behind. Not good for Stannis, Robb, or Sansa. Will Tyrion get any credit for any of this? Is he even alive?

This was an amazing episode. What made it so good was that during the battle, I was conflicted about whom I was rooting for. There were pluses and minuses for each side. That's unlike most other battle scenes where there was clearly a side to root for.

Significant changes from the book aside, this was an amazing episode...
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Movie mayhem!
    Seriously though season one was pretty darn faithful to the books... it sort of set a tone and now this season... HUGE changess....

Great episode! I'm trying to stay spoiler free but I couldn't help it I had to google it to find out if Tyrion dies or not, and also checked Davos while I was at it :hmlol; But I didn't read anything else just confirmed if they died in this episode or not.

I wasn't expecting Tywinn to show up at the end with the Tyrrels, and am I right in thinking that was actually one of Tyrion's own men that attacked him?

Wanted:

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    I wasn't expecting Tywinn to show up at the end with the Tyrrels, and am I right in thinking that was actually one of Tyrion's own men that attacked him?
    Neither did I, but that's because Tywin DOESN'T show up to save the day in the books.

Tyrion was attacked by Ser Mandon Moore, one of the Kingsguard. (Whom Joffrey commanded to stay and fight to represent the king in battle) So in essence, yes, that was one of Tyrion's own men that attacked him. But, the Kingsguard typically only take orders from and serve the king....

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    Neither did I, but that's because Tywin DOESN'T show up to save the day in the books.
    What happens in the books then, do the Tyrrels just show up on their own with out Tywin?

Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    Tyrion was attacked by Ser Mandon Moore, one of the Kingsguard. (Whom Joffrey commanded to stay and fight to represent the king in battle) So in essence, yes, that was one of Tyrion's own men that attacked him.
    Yeah thats the guy I though it was. Hope we find out why he attacked him.
    Last edited by 13977; May 30, 2012 at 03:57pm.

Wanted:

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    Seriously though season one was pretty darn faithful to the books... it sort of set a tone and now this season... HUGE changess....
    I'd say they're minor changes since the end game looks to be the same.

Season 3 characters

– Mance Rayder: We’ve heard about him all season. A former member of the Night’s Watch who became the “King Beyond the Wall,” the leader of the Wildlings.

– Daario Naharis: A confident and seductive warrior.

– Jojen Reed; Meera Reed: A teenage brother and sister duo with special insights.

– Edmure Tully: A brash young member of the Tully family.

– Ser Brynden Tully (The Blackfish): Catelyn Stark’s uncle.

– Lady Selyse Florent: Stannis Baratheon’s wife.

– Shireen: Stannis’ daughter.

– Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother.

– Beric Dondarrion: A skilled knight who is the leader of the outlaw group Brotherhood Without Banners.

– Thoros of Myr: A red priest who follows the same religion as Melisandre.

– Tormund Giantsbane: A Wildling raider.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Season 3 characters

– Lady Selyse Florent: Stannis Baratheon’s wife.

– Beric Dondarrion: A skilled knight who is the leader of the outlaw group Brotherhood Without Banners.
    We've already seen these 2 in the series though:

Beric Dondarrion was seen briefly in Season 1 - When Ned Stark denounced Gregor Clegane (The Mountain) at court in King's Landing and ordered his arrest, Beric Dondarrion was chosen to lead the search party to go after him.

Stannis' wife is *very* briefly seen in his opening scene in the season 2 premiere on the beach. After Stannis pulls out the flaming sword, he leaves the beach with a woman who is NOT Melisandre. (I'm just assuming here, but it makes sense)

Again, these were both REALLY short appearances, but there all the same.

As for the S2 finale, gotta say they pulled it all together to get ready for the next 2 seasons, which will cover book 3, where EVERYTHING goes nuts. Really surprised at how well the House of the Undying came across, considering it had less than 10 minutes of airtime in a single episode, as opposed to several chapters of Dany's in the book.

I'm a little surprised at how they went with a traditional zombie approach with the Wights though. I get that there is a difference between Wights & White Walkers/The Others - just wasn't exactly what I expected...

I'm assuming those two appearances were short term contracts for cameos. They're getting recast.

Wow, the finale is going to take a second watch to figure out how exactly I feel. It was a better finale that season where it was extremely hard to follow Ned's death and all we got was a set up for next season. This one had far great substance.

- Winterfell is burnt and ruined, although mysteriously. Theon is nowhere be seen. Luwinn is dying. Really loved the goodbye scene between all of them. Looks like the little Starks are headed North to see Jon. Good luck finding him there. There's an obvious change here, but with the casting for season 3, I'm not sure where it's all going. Kind of odd no one asked why Winterfell was burning and why Luwinn didn't tell them. He might have been passed out and dying.

- Dany gets her dragons back and gains some minor riches. This is the biggest departure from the books, but it went kind of like I thought it would turn out. Dany trained her dragons to breathe fire on command earlier and I figured that's how the season would end. Great to see Khal Drogo back. They left out all of Dany's visions and prophecies from the book, but I'm guessing it's to avoid future spoilers coming up. Good to see her momentum back though.

- Joffrey frees Sansa for Margarie, but Little Finger reminds her that now he really owns her. But he says he will take her away from this. Can she trust this creep? Should have left with the Hound.

- Speaking of Little Finger, loved the little conversation between Varys and Roz about him. This looks like a long term showdown between these two.

- Brienne shows her cold blooded killer side, sort of new for the show, but something that has always been there anyway. Anyone else really liking Jaime despite everything he's done? I'm rooting for this guy.

- Tyrion wakes up with a mild scar, huge difference from the book where he's missing some of his nose. He's gotten zero credit for everything he did to save is people during Blackwater. Shae suggests they run away, but he likes staying around the bad guy? Should have left.

- Quarrin makes a deal with Jon to kill him and infiltrate the wildlings. Can't wait to see Mance Raydar.

- Robb marries the doctor chick despite the wisdom of his mother about the deal he made with the Freys. How does any of this make sense? There was a major difference in the book, which I hope they have a good reason for changing.

- Great scene with a massive army of white walkers headed...well somewhere. These things are pretty mysterious, really cool to see them in the open like that.

- Arya meets Jaqen for the last time. He wanted her to go with him, should have went! But she wants to find Robb and her mom, oh and Sansa. Turns out he can change his face. I remember in the books people thought he was Syrio from season one, but unlikely. The two things I was looking forward to most this season was Tyrion at Kingslanding, brilliant, and Arya's horrible time at Harrenhal, which they severely down played and instead focused on a more pleasant time near Tywinn.

When I finished reading the books last summer, I wanted to travel to the future and watch season 3. Next two seasons are going to be epic. Seasons 1 and 2 were the appetizers, from this point on it's the main course.

When I finished reading the books last summer, I wanted to travel to the future and watch season 3. Next two seasons are going to be epic. Seasons 1 and 2 were the appetizers, from this point on it's the main course.
    This is promising to hear. I thought that the first two seasons were awesomely epic. I can't imagine how it gets better.

I'm also almost done with Book 1 and can't wait to get to the rest of them. This book series and tv show has really captured my imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra_Torque View Post
    This is promising to hear. I thought that the first two seasons were awesomely epic. I can't imagine how it gets better.

I'm also almost done with Book 1 and can't wait to get to the rest of them. This book series and tv show has really captured my imagination.
    Seriously, as great as seasons 1&2/books 1&2 are, book 3 is where all bets are off and things go up past 11...

As the saying goes - "You ain't seen nothin' yet!"

Great episode, a couple of deaths I wasn't expecting and I was surprised the house of the undying thing was wrapped up so quickly, I was expecting that to carry over into the next season. I also wasn't expecting rob to marry so quickly.
    When Jaqen showed up I was really expecting him to have some obtained Needle and give it back to Arya and I was also hoping for some interaction between Tyrion and Tywinn. And no Davos either

- Quarrin makes a deal with Jon to kill him and infiltrate the wildlings.
    Is that what happened? I didn't think it was clear why he killed him so I'm glad you explained it to me.

Also, the guy on the horse at the end, was that Lord Commander Mormont?

Wanted:

I finally caught up with season one and finished season two over the last couple of weeks. This show is awesome. I don't watch much TV but this and the Walking Dead are my favourite shows at the moment.

Are the books worth reading? I am more a comic book reader than a book reader (I haven't read a proper book for years and I don't think Wrestler autobiographies count) so I might try and give it a shot if it is worth while

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Great episode, a couple of deaths I wasn't expecting and I was surprised the house of the undying thing was wrapped up so quickly, I was expecting that to carry over into the next season. I also wasn't expecting rob to marry so quickly.
    When Jaqen showed up I was really expecting him to have some obtained Needle and give it back to Arya and I was also hoping for some interaction between Tyrion and Tywinn. And no Davos either

Is that what happened? I didn't think it was clear why he killed him so I'm glad you explained it to me.

Also, the guy on the horse at the end, was that Lord Commander Mormont?
    I guess it wasn't clear. I was filling in the blanks from reading the books. When Jon stabbed him, Quarrin says, "we are the watchers of the wall" and I thought they briefly had a conversation before about doing whatever it takes to infiltrate the wildlings, not sure.

No that white walker was some white walker. Mormont is still at Crasters Keep.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    I finally caught up with season one and finished season two over the last couple of weeks. This show is awesome. I don't watch much TV but this and the Walking Dead are my favourite shows at the moment.

Are the books worth reading? I am more a comic book reader than a book reader (I haven't read a proper book for years and I don't think Wrestler autobiographies count) so I might try and give it a shot if it is worth while

Books 1-3 are worth reading for sure. 4-5 are more of a labor of love. This is all of course at the cost of spoiling the show. But even then you should read the first two books, the show will make more sense at times.

What happened to Winterfell? Did the 20-something Greyjoy men do that? What happened to the 500 Stark men that were supposed to be surrounding the place??
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    I just started reading Game of Thrones, with the intention of rereading all of the books, for the second time. It's amazing how much more you pick up on when you know what's going to happen. Definitely worth the read. Especially if you like wrestler autobiographies.

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    What happened to Winterfell? Did the 20-something Greyjoy men do that? What happened to the 500 Stark men that were supposed to be surrounding the place??
    Wasn't the Greyjoy men. They made a deal with King Robb to go back home safe in exchange for Theon. Someone else did this.

You're not meant to know til next season, but I'll give you a clue. Think back to why Robb himself didn't come to save his brothers.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Just getting into this! I had it on my DVR when the marathon came on in the Spring, but I haven't found time to watch it until now! It's awesome!

It's a little backstory heavy at first, but I've located some sites that helped me with my viewing!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    The pacing for season two didn't seem just right and some of the departures from the book were dubious, but it's still the show I look forward to most. Season three can't get here fast enough!

And TheFallen: Yes, definitely read the books. I'm not a huge reader myself, but these are definitely worth it.

Books 1-3 are worth reading for sure. 4-5 are more of a labor of love.
    Most people seem to not like A Feast for Crows, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. A Dance with Dragons (particularly the first half or so) was pretty rough though.

Renewed for a 4th season.

Interesting start to what is expected to be two of the best seasons of the show this and next year's. Not a lot happened, other than setting up a ton of good stuff to come soon. And they still couldn't cover everything, such as Jaime's story or Bran's.

I'll skip to the most interesting stuff. Baristan Selmy shows up to serve Dany. Actually liked that they skipped dragging out who he was the entire season. Her story always felt dragged out, so skipping to Selmy is great. Wonder if the other guy will show up. Also wondering if Dany and Jorah knew what that guy was saying the entire time about her.

I don't remember if it went down exactly the same way in the books, but Jon's answer to the King Beyond the Wall was perfect, forget his name. I like the actor they chose.

Tons of planting seeds with Little Finger, Margarie, Tywinn, and Cersei. Also Margarie getting a lot more screen time than we've read about and I like where it's going, especially with the Queen of Thorns showing up next week. Still not sure where they're going with this version of Shae or Roslyn the red head.

Melissandre was also killing it last night with the way she was setting up Davos.

Renewed for a 4th season.

Interesting start to what is expected to be two of the best seasons of the show this and next year's. Not a lot happened, other than setting up a ton of good stuff to come soon. And they still couldn't cover everything, such as Jaime's story or Bran's.
    That's like season 2's 1st episode or 2 - mostly to remind you where everyone's at before they start throwing tons of characters at you. Was fairly disappointed that the battle from the season 2 finale was reduced to a black screen with some yelling & swords clanging, and we only see the aftermath.

I'll skip to the most interesting stuff. Baristan Selmy shows up to serve Dany. Actually liked that they skipped dragging out who he was the entire season. Her story always felt dragged out, so skipping to Selmy is great. Wonder if the other guy will show up. Also wondering if Dany and Jorah knew what that guy was saying the entire time about her.
    Already confirmed that Strong Belwas is not going to be included.

I don't remember if it went down exactly the same way in the books, but Jon's answer to the King Beyond the Wall was perfect, forget his name. I like the actor they chose.

Tons of planting seeds with Little Finger, Margarie, Tywinn, and Cersei. Also Margarie getting a lot more screen time than we've read about and I like where it's going, especially with the Queen of Thorns showing up next week. Still not sure where they're going with this version of Shae or Roslyn the red head.
    Not sure yet, but it seems like they *might* be skipping some things w/Sansa's arc. Don't know why-if they do, what was the point of introducing Ser Dontos last season?

Melissandre was also killing it last night with the way she was setting up Davos.
    Definitely. For me, the coolest scene by far was Tywin & Tyrion. Charles Dance continues to dominate this show with his presence every time, and with the rest of the stellar cast, that's saying something. With Tywin from Season 2, you actually began to feel some sympathy for him, once you get some insight to his character earlier in life. With this one scene from the season 3 premiere, any sympathy you may have had for him is completely wiped away, and you're reminded how ruthless he is. Looking forward to see which event they choose to deal with for the season finale...