Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Leech and Hurricane Hordak revealed at WonderCon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayota View Post
    I agree with you. I could be wrong, but I bet if a lot more of the decision making was left up to the 4H themselves (and not the higher ups) fan satisfaction would increase. Possibly even dramatically. It could make what already is a legendary and outstandingly wonderful toy line the best toy line in history.
    Well folks, but the truth, at least here, is that most of ther decisions regarding sculpting are already left to the 4H.
    This is not the 2002 line, this time the 4H have free reign on how to sculpt things.
    There are no higher-ups interfering in the process. All you see is most of the time 100% by the 4H.
    At most, Scott and Bill Benecke ask for some changes on colors, but that's it.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Well folks, but the truth, at least here is that most of ther decisions regarding sculpting are already left to the 4H.
    This is not the 2002 line, this time the 4H have free reign on how to sculpt things.
    There are no higher-ups interfering in the process. All you see is most of the time 100% by the 4H.
    Amen Emiliano! Thats the best post of the week!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Well folks, but the truth, at least here, is that most of ther decisions regarding sculpting are already left to the 4H.
    I am not sure. There are too many inconsistencies with varying directions in designs from figure to figure for me to say for sure that there is a single focused creative vision behind the line.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I am not sure. There are too many inconsistencies with varying directions in designs from figure to figure for me to say for sure that there is a single focused creative vision behind the line.
    Well, I'm reporting this because I know that for a fact.
    We're friend with the 4H and that's what they told us, you can believe me or not, but that's how it is
    I don't see these inconsistiences though. Eric and the folks approach them figure by figure, choosing what's better for each of them. There isn't a single unifying rule for all the line.

Well, I'm reporting this because I know that for a fact.
    We're friend with the 4H and that's what they told us, you can believe me or not, but that's how it is
    I don't see these inconsistiences though. Eric and the folks approach them figure by figure, choosing what's better for each of them. There isn't a single unifying rule for all the line.
    I am sorry, I didn't mean that you weren't telling the truth. I totally believe you.

It's just that I feel that there are a few creative turns in the line indicating different artistic visions despite most of them having the 'Classics' style. You can see that more clearly with the earlier figures which aimed at a mixture of toy and character model attributes such as Evil-Lyn, Beast Man, Mer-Man, etc while other newer toys seem to go for strict toy accuracy.

I am sorry, I didn't mean that you weren't telling the truth. I totally believe you.

It's just that I feel that there are a few creative turns in the line indicating different artistic visions despite most of them having the 'Classics' style. You can see that more clearly with the earlier figures which aimed at a mixture of toy and character model attributes such as Evil-Lyn, Beast Man, Mer-Man, etc while other newer toys seem to go for strict toy accuracy.
    That is true, but we need to keep in mind there is a very good reason for that.
    For the earlier toys, there were other sources.
    The cross sell art, the original sketches by Mark Taylor, etc,
    Eric wanted to bring those to life, but of course that could happen only with the earlier figure.
    Later figures didn't have so many differences with other visuals, and so they remain very close to the original toys.
    Because there aren't other sources to look at, and the visuals we know better are the toy versions.
    (the idea behind this is that the earlier images made a huge impact on us, like the cross sell for Mer-Man, etc.)

But, if you think about it, the 4H are still being very consistent at this: when they come across a figure that had huge differences with the original design (prototype, concept and cross sell art), they go back to that.
    Proof of this is Man-E-Faces:
    http://www.he-man.org/collecting/pro...em.php?id=2018

Eric wanted to bring those to life, but of course that could happen only with the earlier figure.
    Later figures didn't have so many differences with other visuals, and so they remain very close to the original toys.
    Because there aren't other sources to look at, and the visuals we know better are the toy versions.
    (the idea behind this is that the earlier images made a huge impact on us, like the cross sell for Mer-Man, etc.)

But, if you think about it, the 4H are still being very consistent at this: when they come across a figure that had huge differences with the original design (prototype, concept and cross sell art), they go back to that.
    Proof of this is Man-E-Faces:
    http://www.he-man.org/collecting/pro...em.php?id=2018
    But Leech, Grizzlor, Roboto and Buzzoff have character models which differ from the toy.

In what way?
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    But Leech, Grizzlor, Roboto and Buzzoff have character models which differ from the toy.
    Are you referring to the 'style Guide' stuff?
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    Are you referring to the 'style Guide' stuff?
    Style guide, cartoons, comics, etc.

We're talking specifically about original concept design, early cross sell art and prototypes, not comics and cartoons (which are also off-limits)
    If you look at them in that perspective, the 4H have been very consistent in their design choices

We're talking specifically about original concept design, early cross sell art and prototypes, not comics and cartoons (which are also off-limits)
    If you look at them in that perspective, the 4H have been very consistent in their design choices
    I can only speak from my perspective as a buyer and collector but that is how I feel when I look at the line so far. I would have preferred something that takes the best of all to make a new figure instead of a near straight representation of the vintage toy but we can't always get what we want.

You're totally entitled to your tastes and opionions of course
    I'm just offering explanations to your dubts.

Actually, Scott (TG) recently said that full cartoon appearances are 100% doable for characters that Mattel owns.

Not necessarily.

Skeletor for instance was designed solely on the cross-sell art, while Catra was based solely on her style-guide/Filmation look, and Bow had a number of completely original elements.

All 3 are very good figures, but have very different design inspirations.

Quote Originally Posted by DroothR View Post
    Actually, Scott (TG) recently said that full cartoon appearances are 100% doable for characters that Mattel owns.
    That's a new thing of course, and it goes with the number of contradictory things TG said in the past.
    At this point, I don't know what to belive and we also don't know what's going on behind the scenes, things may have changed.

If it's possible to do a cartoon version of Leech now, it may not heve been possible to do it when he was sculpted.
    Also, if I remember correctly Scott was talking about cartoon color scheme, not the actual look. But we should go check out the original quote.

Not necessarily.

Skeletor for instance was designed solely on the cross-sell art, while Catra was based solely on her style-guide/Filmation look, and Bow had a number of completely original elements.

All 3 are very good figures, but have very different design inspirations.
    You missed what I said a few posts earlier. The 4H always approched them on a figure by figure basis, and there isn't a set rule.
    They try to stay true to the most famous popular style for a figure, and in case of earlier figures, they go for the original concept. I made the Man-E-Faces example to prove how they have been consistent on that.
    Catra is still consistent too, as they felt the most popular representation of her is the cartoon version.

I conceed Bow is not so consistent: but Eric openly admitted they wanted to experiment with him, see what POP and MOTU fans would have thought about this blend of styles.

I conceed Bow is not so consistent: but Eric openly admitted they wanted to experiment with him, see what POP and MOTU fans would have thought about this blend of styles.
    Personally, I feel that MotUC should be more about figures like that.

The best of each (classic era) design, amalgamated into the single most awesome design possible from the available versions.

I guess I was thinking more about the anouncement of the no more 200x elements that TG gave a while back. I interpreted that as a decision made by someone other than the 4H.
    I love this line, and I really appreciate all the contributors to it's existence. It just seems like there's a streamlining towards more strict interpretations of the actual toys put out in the eighties after Whiplash. It seems like earlier than Whiplash these guys were packed with a wider array of display options. I don't want this to sound like a complaint. I think its the same when anybody really loves something they tend to take a bit more stock in it.
    I don't really care about 200X I just like my monsters a little meaner looking. (as they sometimes were in 200X)
    Last edited by Ayota; April 4, 2011 at 10:58am. Reason: thought of something

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    You have to be signed on to Facebook to see it. This is what it showed...

I love MotuC Leech, excellent job as usual but I have to say just one thing and I would like to hear your opinion about my comparison of him neck/nape! Thanks for all MotuC, I love them![/COLOR]

FourHorsemen ToyDesign: You're seeing it from a bad angle in that photo, but we had to do the neck area the way we did so it wouldn't hinder movement of the head. Also, it looks as if they may not have the head pushed all the way down on that prototype. Badly posed there as well... Looks MUCH cooler in person.
    Thanks Mr. Shokoti. For some reason even when I am logged in it gives me "Content not found" I don't use facebook much though.

I have to say I am pretty much 100% satisfied with what the 4HM have brought to the table so far for this line. Every time we get a new reveal for a vintage update I get all excited!

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    I don't use facebook much though.
    Neither do I. If it ended tomorrow, I wouldn't shed a single tear.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    I want to be able to move my leech head. I am happy with the neck not being crazy fat.

And thank the golly Gods they are - these design choices make the line awesome.

Except the missed opportunities with King Hsss.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Thanks fo rthe pics everyone...I'm excited for these 2.. Leech was always a childhood favorite of mine!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 7.21.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)