Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have the fans spoken with their wallets?

Quote Originally Posted by StaticX999 View Post
    if it is a poor sellout then they won't re-release him, cause he won't be in demand and those people who are throwing a temper tantrum don't get one, they may never do.
    So having an opinion that differs with yours is "throwing a temper tantrum"? That is sad. Let me know when your Utopia is complete.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Sallah View Post
    Is this really necessary? I don't think anyone is "throwing a temper tantrum" for simply wanting product that is assembled correctly. It's pretty ridiculous to be angry at folks who don't want to spend money on something that was manufactured incorrectly. You stated we should "be happy with what we get". Would you buy a bike with the handle bars on backwards? It will still work, sure... but why would you pay full price for something that wasn't put together in the right way? Even worse- Why be so angry towards those who aren't willing to accept it?

If you are okay with the shoulders, that's fine. More power to you. Nobody is ridiculing you for accepting incorrect product. I see no reason for you to spew such venom against those who do want it corrected.

Sallah
    I think he is probably just getting tired of hearing about the shoulders. For some of us that don't care about such things, the negative comments really ruin the figure for us as much as the shoulders do for you. Not everyone wants to share in other's misery. That's what I'm guessing at least...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    i hope they never fix it if they re-release king hssss, that would teach the people who passed on him, people really would have their collection incomplete if the shoulders aren't fixed? seriously? be happy what you get, that's what i say, i didn't even notice till someone said something.
    Was that really necessary?

King Hssss' shoulders really didn't bother me any (If I don't notice it initially, then it's not a big deal, but if they sold a corrected version, then I would get him), but I don't dismiss the fact that it does bother other fans. For all the money that we're giving to Mattel, for all the grief we get trying to purchase these things, and since we cannot simply get King Hssss on a rainy day, we expect this stuff to be right the first time.

Mattel might be the world's biggest toy company, but the actions they have taken to fix this problem are terrible! No discount or coupon on upcoming MOTUC figures, no type of reparations to try to make things right? Just "Okay so the shoulders are reversed...King Hssss is still an awesome figure and you should get him anyway, even though his shoulders are reversed!"

Is that so unreasonable?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry75 View Post
    I think he is probably just getting tired of hearing about the shoulders. For some of us that don't care about such things, the negative comments really ruin the figure for us as much as the shoulders do for you. Not everyone wants to share in other's misery. That's what I'm guessing at least...
    There's a simple answer to that. Don't go to those threads if it bothers you so.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I would imagine that people are avoiding him due to the problem. Being that he is the leader of a fairly major faction in MOTU, I would have expected him to sell out pretty quickly. Especially when this is a figure that more people are probably going to be inclined to buy an extra of to display him in both of his forms.

This is one of the few occasions where people actually could "vote with their wallets", due to it being a sale split between two dates and the problems being noticed before the second sale occurred. Normally between the subs and the way everything else just sells out, there's almost no such thing as 'voting with our wallets'.

I really don't think comparing this sale to Vikor is remotely accurate given how extremely obscure of a character Vikor is. This is definately a different situation.

Of course, the problem here is that if he doesn't sell out, Mattel isn't going to likely want to reissue him at all (let alone with corrected shoulders) since they are going to need the first release to sell out to justify a second run. It's a a big cluster ****.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

He looks sold out now so I'd say no.

It looks like he is sold out on matty? He probably either sold well rnough that Matty will think they'll never need to fix the shoulders or he took too long and they will think that he isnt worthy of a reissue at all.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeTeela View Post
    It looks like he is sold out on matty?
    It looks like he is. That was sort of a 'silent sell out'. Usually Matty gives updates that they are almost gone, etc.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Yeah, since he was never even switched to "Almost Gone" like all the others (I just checked him about an hour or so ago), my money is on them pulling his stock for sales at a show or something.

Sallah

Really? You think they'd pull it down after just 3 days? I agree that conspiracy theory would suggest what you are saying since all items are now sold out but still, I'd hope Matty would leave them up for at least a couple more days.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    Really? You think they'd pull it down after just 3 days? I agree that conspiracy theory would suggest what you are saying since all items are now sold out but still, I'd hope Matty would leave them up for at least a couple more days.
    They probably took them down to resell them at SDCC and their other appearances this year.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    It just seems incredibly fishy that just an hour ago, Marzo was marked "Almost Gone" and Hsss was up with no such disclaimer. An hour later, both are sold out. I just have a feeling he was pulled in an effort to avoid the perceptions attached to an item lingering on the site for too long. They've done it before with JLU and the DC stuff.... only to have them crop up later.

Call it a hunch, but I have a feeling we'll see Hsss either pop up for sale at one of the cons soon, or his "reissue" will consist of "customer service stock".

Sallah

Yeah, since he was never even switched to "Almost Gone" like all the others (I just checked him about an hour or so ago), my money is on them pulling his stock for sales at a show or something.

Sallah
    100% correct.

An hour ago Hssss was Available, and Marzo was Almost Gone.

For them to both be "Sold Out" now means Hssss was pulled.

I'll bet there's already been some very interesting discussions going on at Mattel about this, as Hssss is the first iconic (non-variant) classic character to not sell out in less than a day since King Randor back in 2009, and this just one month after Bow sold out in less than an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by DroothR View Post
    100% correct.

An hour ago Hssss was Available, and Marzo was Almost Gone.

For them to both be "Sold Out" now means Hssss was pulled.

I'll bet there's already been some very interesting discussions going on at Mattel about this, as Hssss is the first iconic (non-variant) classic character to not sell out in less than a day since King Randor back in 2009, and this just one month after Bow sold out in less than an hour.
    I guess the bottom-line is that reversed shoulders and the way Mattel handled the problem probably did affect sales. Mattel had better be more careful in the future.

Yeah I agree, I think it was pulled out.

I honestly think the shoulders affected the sale of the figure. Otherwise it would have sold out a lot faster. The instant sold out, compared to the reissues that have had "almost gone" for days is just suspicious.

Plus I think they once sold a Skeletor at a con, the figure had a problem, their excuse was that you could look at it, and if you didn't want it because of the defect you didn't have to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I guess the bottom-line is that reversed shoulders and the way Mattel handled the problem probably did affect sales. Mattel had better be more careful in the future.

Agreed. An essential character like Hsss SHOULD have done better... and had it not been for the shoulders and Mattel's handling of the situation, I have no doubt that he would have.

I just hope that Mattel sees the reasoning behind his lackluster performance and does something to make sure it REALLY doesn't happen again this time (*cough* *cough* Roboto...). It would be a shame if they just looked at the sales and went "oh, I guess MOTUC is cooling off" and went forward without learning from the experience.

Sallah

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    if i wasnt so broke i would of picked up a second or third ,the shoulders dont bother me . all i care about is getting more characters B4 the line dies

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    I got 2 King Hiss figures in the end to be able to make a custom 7 snakes form.

I think there are several points which didn't make King Hiss as popular as he should have been. The figure could have been a lot better. The points that have been discussed a lot:
    - reversed shoulders
    - unable to sit
    - missing a few snakes compared to vintage figure (waist)
    - rabbit teeth
    - bendable material
    - the snake form sculpt didn't reach it's full potential

I dislike Mattel pulling figures. They make us spend a lot of extra money on shipping by doing so. I'm sure Louis Tully was pulled as well based on the previous "customer service stock" numbers. I was waiting to order a 2nd Louis so he could ship along with Hiss. It's their loss in sales because I refuse to pay an extra $10 for shipping and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Hiss was a major exception to me because it's still MOTUC after all
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

It would be a shame if they just looked at the sales and went "oh, I guess MOTUC is cooling off" and went forward without learning from the experience.

Sallah
    I hope for all our sakes that they have learnt from their errors and learnt well!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnnaMot View Post
    all i care about is getting more characters B4 the line dies
    Sacrilege! I get the shivers when people talk like this. LoL.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    There's a simple answer to that. Don't go to those threads if it bothers you so.
    A great suggestion...unfortunately, you can't swing a dead cat around here without hearing about it.

Is this really necessary? I don't think anyone is "throwing a temper tantrum" for simply wanting product that is assembled correctly. It's pretty ridiculous to be angry at folks who don't want to spend money on something that was manufactured incorrectly. You stated we should "be happy with what we get". Would you buy a bike with the handle bars on backwards? It will still work, sure... but why would you pay full price for something that wasn't put together in the right way? Even worse- Why be so angry towards those who aren't willing to accept it?

If you are okay with the shoulders, that's fine. More power to you. Nobody is ridiculing you for accepting incorrect product. I see no reason for you to spew such venom against those who do want it corrected.

Sallah
    people keep making posts about the same thing, i'll voice my opinion on the same thing, i'm not angry, i'm pointing out the obvious, i'm not being mean to any individual, i think it's funny people are never happy with anything, if it wasn't the shoulders, it would be something else, i hope they don't fix it and don't re-release him, bring out a newer figure that hasn't been released yet, the chance to get Hsss is NOW, not 2 years down the road.

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    i hope they never fix it if they re-release king hssss, that would teach the people who passed on him, people really would have their collection incomplete if the shoulders aren't fixed? seriously? be happy what you get, that's what i say, i didn't even notice till someone said something.
    Hoping something like this happens in order to "teach the people" a lesson, is a temper tantrum. If you don't like their stance on it, fine. Hoping that they don't ultimately get something is nefarious.

if it is a poor sellout then they won't re-release him, cause he won't be in demand and those people who are throwing a temper tantrum don't get one, they may never do.
    This is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. I'd say that someone threatening to quit the line is a temper tantrum, not customers who refuse to buy flawed merchandise.

Sallah
    Quoted for truth! I'm all for people not buying an inferior product. Especially at full price!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry75 View Post

If someone like you doesn't care, why would others opinion bother you or ruin the figure for you?

If anyone considers this thread as a sharing the misery discussion, they should just avoid the thread and it takes care of the problem, right? Coming here to bash others or claim they're throwing "temper tantrums" like the other board member did, is looking for a fight.
    Last edited by MasterCollector; April 4, 2011 at 05:45pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    If anyone considers this thread as a sharing the misery discussion, they should just avoid the thread and it takes care of the problem, right?
    Yep.
    Let's do exactly that, folks.

If the shoulders aren't a problem for you, fantastic.
    But please don't waste your time trying to tell others how to feel about them,
    or antagonize people hoping for a corrected version in the future.

Thanks!
    Bill :: guitargod694

very well said

Heroic Warrior
    I bought 3 extra Hssss on the 1st ( I have 3 subs, 2 are mine), decided I wanted an updated Adora and Evil-Lyn so I waited till the 1st to purchase them all together. I believe I read that if Hssss even gets a re-release it wouldn't be until at least 2012 (maybe after?) so this is the best we'll get at least till then. And while I wish the shoulders were correct, I wouldn't have even noticed without others doing so. But he definitely didn't sellout they pulled the remainder of the stock, don't know if that was for SDCC or maybe a future sale (like cyber Monday?).

Yeah I remember Buzzoff sold out without the "almost gone" warning back in December. I "asked Matty" and all Toyguru said was that he sold out.

If Hsss didnt really sellout, then will this mark the 1st time an initial release of a figure never fully sold out?