Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which figures did you not care about as a kid, but are falling in love with now?

Which figures did you not care about as a kid, but are falling in love with now?

There are plenty of figures we didn't like in the original toy series when we were kids. But Is there one (or more) that have come back in the MOTUC line that you've really taking a liking to? Maybe one that you weren't excited for at all when it was announced, and have had a big change of heart about since.

I feel a lot of a figure's appeal comes from their facial expression. That's why as awesome as Vikor is, I don't see him as one of my top 10 favorites. He's kind of deadpan for a barbarian, am I wrong? Surprisingly, I've found one of my favorite figures is Whiplash! That green skintone, the scaling detail along with the wavy extrusions on his legs and forearms, his serious jowly mug and open clawed hand with painted fingernails, and his trademark tail design have all come together to make one brutal design for a figure I could see in any Sci-Fi series! I added the dark green cloak from my Marvel Select Dr. Doom and he looks even cooler! I'm thinking of getting him a net, too.

I'm interested in hearing about other figures people have surprised themselves with by their interest in them.

Mine would be Marzo.

Quote Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
    Mine would be Marzo.
    But he wasn't a figure . . .

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    That's why as awesome as Vikor is, I don't see him as one of my top 10 favorites. He's kind of deadpan for a barbarian, am I wrong?
    He wasn't a figure, either . . .

Mine would be Scareglow. I had grown out of MOTU by the time of his release. I remember seeing him in the store and thinking, "Skeletor ripoff!" But now, I absolutely love him and the fact that he was a part of the original line! It doesn't hurt that he looks leaps and bounds better than his vintage counterpart. I also think Tytus looks a lot better than the original version I've seen (only as of the past few years, too, thanks to the internet and the .Org!).

As far as figures not released back in the 80's, mine would have to be He-Ro. I hated his whole look and idea upon first reading about and seeing him. My initial thought was, "There was a reason why this guy didn't make it to the line!" But after seeing him on vintage cardart and seeing his appearance in the mini-comic and knowing the story and what was going to be the continued story, as well as the prototype and never released cardart, I've been won over, not to mention that he looks WAY better in hand.
    Last edited by RockinHard; April 3, 2011 at 06:13pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Mer-Man was a figure I didn't usually play with, at least after the first two waves of the vintage line.

The MOTUC Mer-Man is one of my favorites.

Same goes for MAA. Bored me as a kid but I really love the MOTUC figure.

Vice versa, Teela was one of my favorite figures in the vintage line, but I hardly ever pick the MOTUC version up off the shelf (mostly because the bobble head and stiff armor annoy me).

I think Leech will be a MOTUC favorite for me, whereas the vintage figure was kind of boring for me.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I think Leech will be a MOTUC favorite for me, whereas the vintage figure was kind of boring for me.
    I agree with this. I never liked the vintage Leech. Then again, I think ALL MOTUC versions are better.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

From the figures I had from the vintage line, Randor, Ninor, Rio Blast and Leech were the ones I ignored the most. King Randor is still a little bit boring, but Leech is probably going to be a great figure.

Other way around, Tytus was my favorite figure from the vintage line (actually vintage Tytus is my favorite toy ever), but MOTUC version was a big disappointment. MOTUC version looks great (deyail and paint job) and I could have ignored the lack of articulation, but I can't forgive the too small size. Yes, I bought the figure, but only because I liked the vintage one so much and for the sake of my collection.

From the figures I didn't have vintage version, the biggest positive surprise have been Trap Jaw.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

I'm more into Buzz-Off, Moss Man, and Mer-Man now than I ever was as a kid or a 2002 era fan.

As a kid, I'd collect MOTU, but never clamored for them. Though when I was about 11 in 1990, I collected them a lot more from garage sales, like Scareglow, that pearly white guy with extending limbs, Teela, Jitsu, etc.

That pearly white robot/knight guy was one I really digged, along with Scareglow, whom I thought was a new form of Skeletor, since I never saw him in stores when the original MOTU was still around. I wanna find the pearly white knight again, since I looked for him all over the house, and can't find him anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
    That pearly white robot/knight guy
    Extendar

Man-E-Faces and Bow

Blade, Megator and ...yes the Horde Troopers

Mer-Man is one, I think. I don't think I did much with him when I was little, but the MoTUC one is a big favorite.

Otherwise, I took a good look at the figures so far (that I also had when I was little) and I see a fondness that was there back in the day, too. Only other one might have been Beast Man, but I can't say for certain, 'cause the figure sure was used. All his stuff is missing and he's one of the few who's legs have fallen off in recent times, so I must have used the heck out of him.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Warrior
    Definitely Man-At-Arms, The figure was so bland and the face wasn't anything like the cartoon (guess I just picture Duncan with the mustache?). But the MOTUC figure has incredible armor to hold all his extra weapons, can't begin to tell you how much I love functional holsters, sheaths, pouches, ect. on figures. So he is one of my favorites that I just couldn't get into as a kid.

This is really easy - POP. The girlie figures look terrible to me and didn't even look close to the cartoon. So far, I am loving the MOTUC take on these figures and is probably the one thing I am most excited to see, besides the NA stuff. I am happy with the vintage remakes, but most of them turn out as I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post

That's the one!
    Mine did not have any weapons or anything, though.

What was his/its story, anyhow? I knew it was a MOTU figure, but did not know who it was, or it this one was a goodie or a baddie.

Probably Bow. I didn't care much about most of the figures I didn't have (Extendar, Twistoid and Rotar, Laser Light Skeletor), but they don't exist in MOTUC yet either. On the other hand, I wanted and never had like 85% of the Princess of Power characters, but I never felt a desire to get Bow. The MOTUC toy though is pretty awesome.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    mer-man is AWESOME!
    man-at-arms is now more interesting

they now look how they should have looked

i have a feeling jitsu, clamp-champ, mekaneck, fisto, mantenna & ram-man will be awesome. n/a figures too.

I would guess Mer-Man...but that's not very fair...I didn't get him during the time in which I was super in love with MOTU...I picked hum up at a yard sale much later. Same for Ram Man and Faker. I got them at the time only to be able to say "Ah-HAH! Now my collection is that much closer to completion!"

Now, I love Mer-Man, Faker's...well, Faker, and I can't wait for Rammy.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

mmm...scareglow

Leech was my least favorite, it was too goofy looking to my taste. Now I cant wait to have him in my collection. Both battle armor He-man y Skeletor weren't my favorites too, now they are my default versions...
    To infinity, and beyond!

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    Mer-Man's the awesomest updated look of 'em all!
    I was actually dissapointed on the vintage figure when I first saw him for the same reason as everryone here. He ain't what he look like advertised!
    I ended up buying Evil-Lyn instead. So my big MOTU vintage figs at the time was He-Man and Battlecat vs. Evil-Lyn! And I can't have He-man beating up a girl.

Stratos is another mention. So's Zodac. When they were initially shown, I was kind of hoping that it should be someone else more liked, but after I got 'em. They look so cool, it's acceptable.

Webstor is another one after seeing his pic in Toyfare (). I was not hot with his colors. Too dark, but I grew to like him after receiving him. He's awesome now!
    Last edited by GrtEternal; April 3, 2011 at 11:19pm.
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

Heroic Warrior
    Optikk for sure.

I second King Hsss

King Hsss ...thought he was stupid as a kid...he is incredible now....
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

Didn't care much for the She-Ra figure as a kid but now that I'm an adult I'm not only much more into the She-Ra figures but I am more up for watching the show on Netflix. I guess I just like girls with swords more now than I did in 1985.
    Last edited by Piccolo Daimaoh; April 4, 2011 at 12:22am. Reason: grammer
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Optikk, Randor, Faker
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.