Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Vac-Metalizing In MOTUC a Good Idea or Bad Idea?

I think experimenting on Hurricane Hordak, a variant, is a good idea as opposed to Bow or He-Ro.

I don't think all gold in the line should be vac metalized.

Movie mayhem!
    Hmmm well it aging like that isnt good

Quote Originally Posted by cayman shen View Post
    Vac metal looks cheap and tacky, and won't fit in with the other characters.
    See I think it looks luxurious and expensive.

I don't have any strong views either way, but it does seem odd to introduce vac-metal now when previous figures that could have had it didn't.

I'm pro vac-metalized... Entrapta looks bad-ass with it and I want her MOTUC incarnation to look the same way. Hurricane Hordak was one of my favorite variants back in the day due in part to his shiny armor- no reason for them to step away from that. Unless you're giving your MOTUCs to your kids to play with, or bashing them around, they are not going to chip and over time aren't going to flake apart. I have an Entrapta that has to be getting close to 25 years old and there ain't a speck of paint falling off from her. I love my He-Ro figure, but would love him more had they gone the vac-metalized paint job approach like his classic prototype.
    I'm not saying every character and everything that has silver and gold should be done in this manner, but if they were cranked out like this back in the '80s I say do 'em Classic style justice and put 'em out with the vac-met paint apps in the Classics line.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I'm pro vac-metalized... Entrapta looks bad-ass with it and I want her MOTUC incarnation to look the same way. Hurricane Hordak was one of my favorite variants back in the day due in part to his shiny armor- no reason for them to step away from that. Unless you're giving your MOTUCs to your kids to play with, or bashing them around, they are not going to chip and over time aren't going to flake apart. I have an Entrapta that has to be getting close to 25 years old and there ain't a speck of paint falling off from her. I love my He-Ro figure, but would love him more had they gone the vac-metalized paint job approach like his classic prototype.
    I'm not saying every character and everything that has silver and gold should be done in this manner, but if they were cranked out like this back in the '80s I say do 'em Classic style justice and put 'em out with the vac-met paint apps in the Classics line.
    Well said. I agree and am pro vac.

Quote Originally Posted by cayman shen View Post
    Vac metal looks cheap and tacky, and won't fit in with the other characters.
    I completely agree. The gold on He-Ro is fine with me.

I had a Robocop motorcycle that I'm pretty sure was vac metal, and it is basically powder right now. It just kind of happened suddenly too. I didn't take the best care of it, even in storing it as an adult, but never the less, when it cracks (which is highly likely, if not a certainty), it looks pretty aweful. I actually am pro vac metal, but only if they do it right.

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    I love Vac-Metalized toys! If done right, it's awesome!
    Some toys would be really awful without it like Cobra Commander and Destro for example. They look as they should with their Vac-Metalized heads
    Cars like the TMNT Foot Cruiser would be really dull without all the shiny chrome!

On MOTUC figures I'm not sure because of the whole quality control issue.
    If that wasn't such an issue, I would be all for it!
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

Movie mayhem!
    Entrapa is actually THE reason I'm pro vac metal... her figure just wouldn't be the same to me without it.

2002 He-man and skeletor had it on the battle sound figs. My kids played with them constantly and there are no problems. I'm not worried! Should look really cool.
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Not worried. Looking forward to HH having the vac metal paint. As for the concern that he's not consistent with the other figures that have "gold" on their armor…so what? Not all gold is polished. Hordak is full of himself enough to have armor like this.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I would like to see a sample on an MOTUC figure first because I am not sure. There are so many things that can go wrong with MOTUC as it is.

I think Hordak may stand out too much from the other figures and look weird

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    If it wasn't for the shiny "bling" of the gold they are gonna use on H. Hordak, I wouldn't be as interested in him.

We aren't going to beat these figures up like we did as kids with our vintage figures, (they don't make em like they used to!) so I don't think it's gonna chip and be as bad as some of us are making it out to be.

Once again I'm gonna say look at the Battle Sound variants of the 2002 line. Those were some of the best variants of that line (and that's A LOT of variants in that line) mostly because of the awesome shiny metallic paint job on they armor!

He-Ro's flat gold paintjob is boring and "blah" if you ask me. Also if it was like that in the vintage line, it's best to do it up the same or similar way in this Classics line. After all the line runs huge on nostalgia. Nostalgia which I am blinded by!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Personally I like vac-metalizing. On the right figures it can look pretty cool, but we're far enough into the line now that with other guys that could have/should have had vac-metalizing too, that we can safely keep going in this line without introducing it now.

I think it's a bad idea, it may look good (enough) now, but it wears out with time, then of course it looks bad.

I'll wait to see what the final product looks like and how it holds up.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Once again I'm gonna say look at the Battle Sound variants of the 2002 line.
    I love how you TM everything!

Well, I'm still seeing lots of strong opinions coming from both sides on this issue. I think I'm sold on the "try vac-metalizing on Hurrican Hordak."

Someone mentioned that he is a variant and that he would be a good figure to test it out on. That's true, because if it turns out badly, at least we already have a Hordak. I would like to see how it turns out because I think vintage Hurricane Hordak, Entrapta and Destro are all amazing figures!

Just, please, please, please cast Hordak's armour in GOLD as a back-up! We'll call it Plan B: From Outer Space.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I love how you TM everything!
    You must REALLLLLLY love Mattel then!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Im pro vac...i want a hero 2.0 with vac metal

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Vac is a horrible idea. I have so many toys that have chipped and faded from Vac. It wears out over time no matter what. All my 90's Iron Man figures have chipped vac. I kept them in baggies and somehow they all chipped. My older toys are much worse. I also had a Robocop cycle and the vac just completely wore out.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    Vac is a horrible idea. I have so many toys that have chipped and faded from Vac. It wears out over time no matter what. All my 90's Iron Man figures have chipped vac. I kept them in baggies and somehow they all chipped. My older toys are much worse. I also had a Robocop cycle and the vac just completely wore out.

My vac metal hordak and entrapta from the 80s still look brand new....

Heroic Warrior
    I'm against it, personally. I hate the way it looks and relatively few things I have with vac metal have held up over time.

Of course, I have to sub, so it's kind of a moot point, but...

I like it for Hordak since it makes a design that's so similar to his regular release more unique looking. I can sometimes appreciate some garish 80s visual "pop."

What I don't like is that the translucent color coating that goes over the chrome finish on some of my old Beast Wars seems to be flaking off and I don't even touch those things. Maybe it's from the plastic expanding and contracting with temperature, I don't know. Meanwhile, I have plently of other vac metal stuff that seems fine.

Storywise, shiny armor could be more ceremonial than practical. The wild weapons morphing out of his wrist for battle do very little to support this I admit.

I'm against Vac-Metal paint jobs on action figures in general for the reasons mentioned above. In addition, I think it looks a little cheap with the rest of paint applications in this line.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Being a closet Transformers fan I'm a big fan of Vac Metalised parts, BUT I don't think they're a good choice for MOTUC, with the exception of the Cosmic Key which looks awesome.

Basically for me it's a problem of diegesis, or having a consistent "reality" for the toys.

Like, if silver paint represents shiny metal, then vac-metalised objects represnting the same thing look incongruous.
    It's kind of my same problem that I have with softgoods/cloth capes on figures whose clothes are otherwise made of sculptet plastic -- cloth is not represented the same way on a single figure.

This is why I absolutely loved ToyBiz's Lord of the Rings figures, they had very complex layered outer clothing produced almost invariably with very soft, pliable plastics which look to the naked eye exaclty the same as the hard plastic used to repesent the sculpted clothes on the base bodies. It just looks much more consistent.
    Last edited by Skell-Skells; April 6, 2011 at 06:36am. Reason: Forgot I wasn't allowed to swear, sorry.