Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Custom John Blackstar (WIP)

MOTUC Custom John Blackstar (WIP)

UPDATE: Finished! More Photos on Page 3 and 4.

Original Post:
    I've been waiting until I was finished to post, but I'm so thrilled by Masterenglish's amazing Overlord that I just had to share a few of the rough progress shots that I've been posting in the threads over at Poeghostal.com.

This is my first MOTUC custom and maybe my 8th in general. I don't have any spare figures if I wreck this one, so I'm hoping I don't do anything stupid. I pretty much need to sculpt and refine small details, do a little painting including more coats to the face and necklace and put him back together. If I could cast, I'd make a translucent "laser-light" version of the removeable necklace and a GID plastic sword. That would be kind of awesome.

It's taking a while since he's a favorite character that I want get it right despite my skill and proper equipment. Here's a few looks at John Blackstar: He-Man of Planet Sagar! The progress is random on all the different areas since there's no method to my madness. Feel free to comment and judge, I'm not quite done yet so it could only help.

Last edited by FakeEyes22; October 12, 2011 at 06:49pm.

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Despite your skill? Dude, your sculpting is impeccable. Some truly beautiful work there, I'm pretty sure if you ever did an Overlord it would smash mine. I was about to ask you where you got the head until I saw that it was mostly sculpted, because its perfect! Seems to me you are of professional quality, myself and I'm sure the rest of the orgers would love to see more of your work on MOTUC.
    May I ask what you are using to sculpt with? By the looks of the color I would guess Supey Sculpey Firm. Not trying to divulge any trade secrets or anything, just curious.
    Last edited by masterenglish; April 5, 2011 at 01:54am. Reason: Typo

What masterenglish said! That Blackstar looks awesome thus far.
    At this time, I'm not taking commissions or selling any of my customs. Sorry everyone, I'm just a tease.

I second what MasterEnglish wrote!
    Your work is nice. I look forward to seeing this one finished.

Well that made my day. Kind words from my 2 absolute favorite figure customizers out there? I'd better not drop the ball on this. May have to throw a Trobbit in there!

Seriously, thanks guys! Before joining the .org I've been amazed for hours by the DeviantArt page and 4H forum thread of MasterEnglish and He-Mike, respectively and finally took the jump into chopping one of these figures up after that inspiration. If all goes well, you guys get some credit. If I screw it all up...I'll blame you for my impossible standards!

I can't remember the name of this sculpting compound at the moment. I found it in the role playing section of my local bookstore. It's for RPG miniatures and it's the 2 part kind, which works well since I'm too cheap to order Aves and I'm a clumsy ogre when it comes to breaking the Sculpey that I've worked with before.

I've got no trade secrets or any sort of sane process aside from obsessive refining over whatever little area isn't drying or frustrating at the moment. You'll notice a nice bonus here is that I don't have to paint joints. I can't believe how you guys manage that so well.

This is looking fantastic!

All of it is beautifully done but that head is awesome!

You should cast it, maybe with the harnass.
    Last edited by Eterniandreams; April 5, 2011 at 12:55pm.

Man, I wish someone would pick the Blackstar stuff up and make a new toy line. loved it as a kid!
    One with the Power

My feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=197226

Help save the Stargate series vist http://www.facebook.com/SaveSGU

Trogdor approves.

If you can make copies of the head and the necklace, we'd definitely buy 'em off you.

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    Wow that's an amazing WIP! I can't wait to see the result
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeEyes22 View Post
    I can't remember the name of this sculpting compound at the moment. I found it in the role playing section of my local bookstore. It's for RPG miniatures and it's the 2 part kind, which works well since I'm too cheap to order Aves and I'm a clumsy ogre when it comes to breaking the Sculpey that I've worked with before.
    That sounds like citadel modeling's green stuff usually sold at the warhammer department. It is great to work with.
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    thats some awesome work you've done so far - i loved blackstar as a kid and had all the toys. looking forward to seeing the end result.

=)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

Wow! Just jumped in here after seeing ME's Overlord and boy is your Blackstar fantastic! The face sculpt looks flawless (and I'm pretty picky with my compliments). The necklace and belt and even the boots and bracelets are wonderful as well. Honestly, I don't have any attachment to Blackstar himself so I might have just jumped back out of this thread but that painted face is just friggin amazing. PLEASE do the female Blackstar character, the Overlord and maybe even the munchkins too.

Wowowowowowowowowowowowowwowowowowowowoowowow.
    Really this is your first and 8 in general? Boy! Get over here and get a Hug!
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

.....this looks great please complete him asap .... cant wait to see the done one !

BLACKSTAR never looked so cool. Great skills, man: AMAZING SCULPTING!
    See ALL of my customs (tons of He-Man, Transformers, JLU, TNBX, Flash Gordon, and more in one organized Gallery):
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery....php?cat=10006

ALL OF MY HEMAN CUSTOMS ARE HERE:
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery...s.php?album=18

the head looks amazing!

can´t wait to see it finished!

A big fan of Slush Head
    He's looking amazing! I can't wait to see him finished.
    Great job man.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Well, everybody else said it, but I have to agree. This is going to be an amazing figure. Great head sculpt, great necklace. Can't wait to see him finished.

You said this was your 8th custom, can we see the others as well? Even if they are only half as good, they will be great to see!

Quote Originally Posted by e-man View Post
    Well, everybody else said it, but I have to agree. This is going to be an amazing figure. Great head sculpt, great necklace. Can't wait to see him finished.

You said this was your 8th custom, can we see the others as well? Even if they are only half as good, they will be great to see!
    Thanks everyone! I've been checking your sigs and seeing some amazing talent!. Time is tight lately, so progress is slow. As I said, this is my first MOTUC custom. Previously, I had done a few in 3 3/4 scale and had mixed results experimenting with different materials, usually tending to be very cheap and use whatever I've had or is very easy to obtain.

These are my first completed customs, from about 2 years ago. They are based on crazy monsters from 2 different mini-series of the G.I.Joe cartoon series and range from 2-5" tall. There are Marvel figure parts in there and half of an Ewok, with Sculpey and Mighty Putty(not recommended). I'm a cheapskate when it comes to photos and lighting as well, so it's pretty fuzzy.

For my current custom, I've nearly finished the head. I find that photos tend to help hightlight flaws that my eyes may forgive, which can be both helpful and disappointing. I was rather proud of my painting, which is miraculous considering how obsessive I can be, but now I'm seeing a few little imperfections. I may just let it go and move on. Those boots aren't going to finish themselves.

That's awesome. He's perfect! I can't wait to see the completed work.

All I can say is WOW!
    I hope you will consider making a mold of that and sale the heads/Necklace to fans!
    One with the Power

My feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=197226

Help save the Stargate series vist http://www.facebook.com/SaveSGU

YO! That's freaking crazy.

Awesome man. I wish they would make that.

Really great job.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    that blackstar head is dead on! i love it!!!

your three monster customs are pretty cool.

=)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Keldor View Post
    that blackstar head is dead on!
    Indeed!
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    awesome work. great sculpting also his dope rope is sick.

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/