Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Custom John Blackstar (WIP)

Keeper of secrets beyond the legends's Avatar
    Ok so I'm super jealous that I got the 2 pack so I could do the same idea only I can't sculp heads and such so I was just going to repaint He-Man to look like him. Now I'm wondering if I send you mine will you let me pay you to make mine into the same thing? Or are you planning to cast the sword and head and bracer part of the arms and sell them? Either way I want them and if I have too I guess I will work at it myself and attempt to be as good as you are. Thanks for raising the bar for standards with customs on here!
    Look for my designs on Deviant art. I am under Octobersdream. Will do commissions of anything, original to recreating any older line. Also needing POP stuff and some MoTU things aswell.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeEyes22 View Post
    That's some impressive knowledge of Joe monsters! I'm glad you recognize them enough to appreciate how ridiculous they are.

Here's a shot of the current custom coming together. I got really picky about minor rough spots on the necklace and belt once they were painted, so you can see that I went back and smoothed them some more.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/...es22/bstar.jpg
    only a word:
    WONDERFUL !

Do you believe that will be possible to see this character (I hope it will be carved in the same way) produced officially in the MOTUC line ?
    Gesų č venuto per salvarci dal peccato, ma continuo a vedere peccatori.
    Thor ci protegge dai demoni e dai giganti di ghiaccio, ed in effetti non ne vedo in giro.
    --------------------
    Gesų č nato da una coppia di fatto, con la fecondazione assistita
    --------------------
    Luca Bizzarri: "Non posso pensare bipartisan, io penso per i fa**i miei"

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Like this A Lot!
    AWESOME!!

Blackstar fits so well with the motuc look.

I really dig the sculpting... You sir, have a great gift! Excellent!
    Sale/Trade//Feedback//MOTU Customs// MOTUC Albums//MOTU Fans Puerto Rico Chapter

I got lazy...So here is a link to my NON MOTU Collection!
    Collection and NON MOTU Customs

XBOX ONE Gamertag: Avenger PR PAC
    PSN: Avenger12PR

looks great man! what color did you use for the flesh? i need to buy that paint.
    -ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

Quote Originally Posted by bishart View Post
    looks great man! what color did you use for the flesh? i need to buy that paint.

Thanks!

I mixed the paint, trial and error style. I found that for maximum frustration, you should mix it in very small amounts so that your color dries up quickly and you lose any hope of doing touch-ups without starting all over and repainting the entire face after discovering that you can't quite match the color you made the day before. Seriously, I say be smarter than me and try a little bit first to get a good idea of what will make the color, then make enough so it can be saved.

I used paints that are for rpg miniatures, I believe. Light flesh(or elf flesh depening on the brand?) mixed with a dark brown with some reddish brown skin wash and some clear Windex type stuff to thin it out so it's really watery. Takes a billion coats, but it ends up pretty smooth.

wonderful custom, your Blackstar looks ace, in fact, I'm mad right now, because I cannot buy one myself

John Blackstar is the one thing that will always be missing from my He-Man collection. If they ever did get "filmation rights" I would hope they would make him.

But one way or another, I dont think that is ever going to happen.

I want this. I may make my own someday. I just dont want to boil N pop. but I have to get the parts apart.

I cant explain it, maybe it's just because of the filmation connection, but those two worlds...Blackstar was really just proto He-Man & The Masters of the Universe so they always go together.

Am Jealous.

My number one "wish it were a classics" toy.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    John Blackstar is the one thing that will always be missing from my He-Man collection. If they ever did get "filmation rights" I would hope they would make him.

But one way or another, I dont think that is ever going to happen.

I want this. I may make my own someday. I just dont want to boil N pop. but I have to get the parts apart.

I cant explain it, maybe it's just because of the filmation connection, but those two worlds...Blackstar was really just proto He-Man & The Masters of the Universe so they always go together.

Am Jealous.

My number one "wish it were a classics" toy.
    Same here! As soon as I saw that Classics He-Man could stand straight-legged, I thought of this guy. No need to fear the heat-n-pop, though. Just try it out with some cheaper 4" figures from another modern line and you'll see it's pretty tough to ruin a toy that way.

Haven't had time to work on this lately, but I did throw a cape together last week. Used something smaller than the standard dramatic MOTUC cape since the classic figure had a rather tiny bit of fabric. A little bit of sculpting was needed to keep the rope piece attached and solid. Production-level durability is a goal here.

Last edited by FakeEyes22; May 17, 2011 at 10:49am. Reason: typo

Whops? I canīt remember my Blackstar figure ever had a cape...
    Overlord, yes. John? Not that I remember...
    Positivity, folks!
    Letīs all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

My goodness, that is amazing! I liked Blackstar back in the day, but wow...you went and made him a must have for this line if Filmation rights were ever awarded to do their characters. Your work on him is astonishing!

He looks great with the cape. It kinda looks like Blackstar needs a cape. An updated look if you will. Great work.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    Whops? I canīt remember my Blackstar figure ever had a cape...
    Overlord, yes. John? Not that I remember...

His series 1 figure had a small fabric cape tied around his neck with a string, as well as a sheath for his sword. The second series version only had his sword, but it had the sparking action feature.

I had both versions as a kid, and I still didn't remember the cape until recently. I know it wasn't in the cartoon.

I think I prefer him without it, but I decided to give him a removable one just so he'd feel more complete and because he wears it on the old packaging art.

Wow, I never knew he had 2 figures. I only know about the one with the sparkling actionfeature...
    Positivity, folks!
    Letīs all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Heroic Master of Magic kalel0201's Avatar
    I've gotta say, your paint apps are amazing. SOO smooth. It takes a lot of patience and a steady hand to accomplish. Bravo! makes me want to improve on my custom painting

Widget
    that is super-effin' cool! great job...

Well, after a huge break from working on it, this guy is finally done.

A couple of pics up in the first post. I'll toss up a few more tomorrow. My photography is...not so great.

Here's all the fabricated accessories. The cape has some sculpting to attach the "rope" piece. There's a card art/filmation sword and a translucent version to simulate the vintage toy's glowing weapon.

Awesome, just awesome

I LOVE IT, man. He looks remarkable.
    See ALL of my customs (tons of He-Man, Transformers, JLU, TNBX, Flash Gordon, and more in one organized Gallery):
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery....php?cat=10006

ALL OF MY HEMAN CUSTOMS ARE HERE:
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery...s.php?album=18

The optional cape and different swords can be used for card art accuracy, a cartoon style, or to match the vintage figures since only the first release had a cape.

The vintage toy's sheath strangely stuck with a peg to a hole in his back. This one has a separate loop sculpted to look like leather. It can hook onto the cape or the necklace to cover the differences in figures and artwork.

Snappy Threader
    Oh wow that isn't awesome that is BEYOND awesome. Great work. Very cool.

Close up of the cape attachment and face. The rope was cut from an old Hasbro Shazam cape, sculpted in and painted to blend into the red cape.

The red cape is modded from the Superman that came with the He-Man used for this custom. The perfect fit was almost too good to be true. Convenient.

Face close up in different lighting with sharper focus

A few final photos on the next page.
    Last edited by FakeEyes22; October 12, 2011 at 07:48pm. Reason: additonal text

that is amazing!!!
    Is not not licking toads