Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Custom John Blackstar (WIP)

I'm jealous and I want one!
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

I would love to own one of these myself! Very cool!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

A big fan of Slush Head
    A truley amazing custom. Count me in the list of people who want one
    Tremendous!
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Thanks for all of the replies!
    I haven't been ignoring them, I was just updating at random times while at work.

The face sculpt was an attempt to translate the vintage toy's face, with it's prominent cheekbones and dimples, into an MOTUC figure that looked something like the 4H might do. I think I got maybe halfway there, and I can live with that.

I'm really happy with the necklace! It miraculously turned out okay without too many tries. The best part is the way that it fits. If you really shake the figure, it rattles around a bit, but as soon as you stop, it instantly settles into the muscles of the chest perfectly on its own. I learned quite a bit and many things were difficult or flawed, but that piece worked really well.

Here are the page 1 pics in case you skipped them

Finally, we've got the dirty thief Skeletor with his shiny new gear and a photo that was requested long ago.

Thanks again, everyone!

No words but AWESOME! AMAZING! WONDERFUL! And a gazillion other superlatives. Just in total awe of this figure.

That is so totally cool! He-Bro has a page on his he-man.us site about casting pieces using bakeable clay as the mold and hot glue as the material to cast in. Very durable (and paintable) stuff. I've done that a few times on my customs and must say it works great! If you did that with the heads, necklace, and sword, I'd definitely be interested in ordering a set so I can make my own Blackstar figure.
    From my youth and hometown when I was a kid...He-Matt and the Masters of the Kunaverse!

My feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=214152
    My customs thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=215292
    My B/S/T thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ings-For-Sale!

wow wow wow

Holy !!!!!!
    must have!
    thanks for showing these pure AWESOME
    One with the Power

My feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=197226

Help save the Stargate series vist http://www.facebook.com/SaveSGU

that's really amazing! too bad Hasbro owns Galoob who produced the action figures for Blackstar: they'll never do anything with it.
    No more stuff for sell, all donated, done!
    I still need MOTUC: Strobos, King Grayskull, Wun-Dar, and Preternia He-Man
    Join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/2544672215/

All I can say is that Blackstar looks like he really belongs. Fantastic job.

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Man the face is just perfect. I knew this was going to be an amazing figure, and you did not disappoint! You have to be a pro right...?

Did you cast the yellow necklace piece?

Chris
    Is not not licking toads

Thanks a lot everyone! I really wanted a modern update of my favorite quasi-MOTU figure that I could comfortably consider part of my MOTUC collection. He's not exactly the most complex character, but I made it really difficult on myself to get as close as I could to production quality. I'm not quite there, but your support helps me look past the minor flaws. I can get crazy about that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by masterenglish View Post
    Man the face is just perfect. I knew this was going to be an amazing figure, and you did not disappoint! You have to be a pro right...?
    Haha! Nope! You are absolutely a pro, however. Your Dragstor is still among my favorite customs out there! I, on the other hand, lack experience aside from the small handful of G.I.Joes I linked to a few pages back. I think this one turned out cleaner than those.

I don't know much about sculpting faces, so I compensated with a ridiulous amount of painting to bring out imperfections followed by sanding, then repeating that a hundred times. I was going for a MOTUC-ized version of the vintage figures facial structure while trying to mix in a hint of Native American without becoming a horrible stereotype. I'm really glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbryan View Post
    Did you cast the yellow necklace piece?

Chris
    I wanted to cast alternate copies of the necklace and sword, but I couldn't get involved in all that so the necklace instead has a gold tone that is a touch more warm than the bracers so that it slightly hints at the color of his 2nd vintage figure. I couldn't get Glow in the Dark paint to obey me, so I just went with a translucent sword as a last minute addition. The yellow sword is actually cut out of an old transparent plastic ruler, sanded down and coated with yellow sharpie! I'm pretty cheap.

If you were asking if the necklace he's wearing was casted, it was sculpted from a 2 part compound in a way that it could be removable since I decided a real figure wouldn't get a newly tooled chest just for jewelry. Here's a rough shot of that:

If anyone's trying anything similar to this figure, or has any questions, I'm happy to share what I've learned while stumbling through this process.
    Last edited by FakeEyes22; October 13, 2011 at 08:31pm. Reason: Addition

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    i don't think anyone could create the gorgeous figure you did.

its truly amazing!

=)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

You never cease to amaze, my friend. However, the picture of Skeletor wearing the neckpiece really knocked me out. The detail is perfect to the point that other figures can wear it. Truely, truely amazing.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Quote Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaoh View Post
    You never cease to amaze, my friend. However, the picture of Skeletor wearing the neckpiece really knocked me out. The detail is perfect to the point that other figures can wear it. Truely, truely amazing.
    I'm glad you like it and I didn't manage to disappoint! You were really supportive when I started this one.

The neckpiece turned out way better than I had expected. I was sure it would be the most difficult part, but it was surprisingly hassle-free compared to the rest.

Stellar work, man. I remember seeing your fatal fluffies on hisstank. Glad to see you've moved onto MOTUC as well.

Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    What a tremendous job you did! I think he looks perfect, and I love all the options you created to go with him.

The only problem I see with this figure is that I don't have one for my collection!

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    Stellar work, man. I remember seeing your fatal fluffies on hisstank. Glad to see you've moved onto MOTUC as well.
    Thanks! I do this so infrequently that I try for some variety and go after things I'm really into from the lines I love the most. Don't think I'll be touching Transformers, though. The paint rub would drive me insane.

I just checked out your page. Your stuff is ridiculously flawless. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by FakeEyes22 View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies!
    I haven't been ignoring them, I was just updating at random times while at work.

The face sculpt was an attempt to translate the vintage toy's face, with it's prominent cheekbones and dimples, into an MOTUC figure that looked something like the 4H might do. I think I got maybe halfway there, and I can live with that.

I'm really happy with the necklace! It miraculously turned out okay without too many tries. The best part is the way that it fits. If you really shake the figure, it rattles around a bit, but as soon as you stop, it instantly settles into the muscles of the chest perfectly on its own. I learned quite a bit and many things were difficult or flawed, but that piece worked really well.

Here are the page 1 pics in case you skipped them

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/...BStarPower.jpg
    http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/...idebyside2.jpg

I dont know if I will ever succedde but this has been in my dreams for more years than I care to admit.

Whether I ever get there, just seeing this picture fullfilled an embarrasingly important dream.

I'm coming into this thread really late but I have to chime in and say how incredible this custom figure is; at first I thought it was some super-limited run of Blackstar. Then I read through the whole thread, picking my jaw up off the floor, numerous times. Great job man, your work on this guy is on point. Looking forward to seeing more of your creations in the future!
    Check out my design work & my out-of-print bookstore (on Amazon)!

Site & Work: About Me || My Portfolio
    Blog: Scrapplebox
    Social: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | IMDB | GetGlue | LinkedIn
    - - - - - - -
    Book Store: http://booksofmine.arlof.com

I saw the same, excellent work!
    And i want a copy of those 3 pieces: head, sword and necklace.
    Cast 'em, please!!
    Ya Tengo El Poder!!!!!!

You Sir are the 5th horseman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_SLUMP View Post
    You Sir are the 5th horseman.
    That's the greatest thing I've ever read! I think I'm in line to be the 45th, if I try hard enough.

I'd like to apologize to anyone who has sent me a message regarding this figure. I'd been looking into some things regarding casting pieces, but I am far too busy to even begin learning anything like that at the moment and I can't sculpt and paint duplicate parts from scratch very easily.

I thank you very much and I am flattered immensely by your interest, but I don't have any custom figures or parts for sale, although hopefully that can change one day since I hate having to say no to sharing something that I've enjoyed so much personally. I'll update if the time comes when I can do that and I hope to start on another custom or two some time this year.