Thread: A Power-Con 2016 Thank You!

A Power-Con 2016 Thank You!

It’s hard to believe that it’s been three weeks since Power-Con was in full swing! And I wish I was back at the show, as it was a fantastic time. Even though it’s been over two years since the last show, attendance was up 30% from our last Power-Con. And the line going outside of the main entrance of the hotel on Saturday morning was a telltale factor of how busy the event would be.

This year’s show saw the inclusion of official Masters of the Universe Classics Power-Con exclusives from Mattycollector and Mattel. And they proved to be an important attraction for new attendees. And based on the feedback we all received during the convention and then afterwards online from fans who came because of the exclusives, they were glad they came to the show. And many of you who attended sound like you’re ready to come back for another Power-Con which lifts my spirits immensely.

I’m not even going to sugar coat it: Power-Con is a LOT of work. It’s organized and put on by fans of He-Man and She-Ra. We all aim to put on a show that we’d want to see, and we feel we’ve been successful in doing that. Much like past shows, offering the exclusives was a learning experience. It was our first time doing it and I think, all things considered, it was smooth sailing.

Speaking of which, the future of a show like Power-Con is tied to things like toy exclusives. Since Power-Con focuses specifically on He-Man and She-Ra, it means we’ll have a more focused audience. So to put on a well-organized, professional show, that doesn’t have the attendance of a large-scale comic book convention, we will rely on exclusives moving forward. Therefore, if you had a great time at Power-Con, or you were happy with your shipment as a Non-Attendee, please let Mattycollector know. You taking a few minutes out of your schedule to share your positive feedback directly with Mattel about Power-Con and its exclusives via Mattel’s company website, or their Mattycollector Facebook page or Twitter account, is a big help to Power-Con.

While we’re talking about exclusives, I am so grateful for the help from other fans who took time out of their schedule to help pack and ship these figures out to Non-Attendees. If you had exclusives delivered, I think it’s clear we cared about the condition and shipping of your figure. They were well-packed and we all strove to get them out the door to you as quickly as possible. So I hope you’ll join me in thanking all the fans who helped pack and ship these, including:
    • Daniel Benedict
    • Johnny Bilson
    • Chuck Bowles
    • John Carroll
    • Casi Clark
    • Rachel Crockett
    • Paul Justice Fletcher
    • Danielle Gelehrter
    • Bethalyn McKie
    • Gunnar Sadlowski
    • Matt Tyree
    • Jill Vasquez
    • Mark Vasquez
    • Tim Wiess
    • Mike Zolotorow
    …and a number of other fans who helped us move boxes and product around during the show.

These fans wore themselves out to help. It just shows what an awesome community we have, where fans chip in to help other fans.

Along those lines, I’m asking every Non-Attendee to consider donating to the campaign for John Carroll’s Playtime Masters documentary. John came out and worked for an entire week, non-stop, to help pack and ship. He’s creating a documentary that archives memories about growing up with He-Man and She-Ra. He’s not going to reach his original $10,000.00 goal which was to also create and ship DVDs and Blu-Rays. But if he can reach around $3000.00, he can still create a fantastic documentary that he can share online with everyone. And who knows, he might interview you as well! So, if you are a Non-Attendee who is happy with your order, and how it was packed and shipped, please consider showing your appreciation to John by donating $5, $10 or even more to his crowd-funding campaign. You all can help make this awesome documentary a reality!
    His campaign ends tonight, Saturday, June 25, 2016! So please click here to donate.

For the show itself, I want to thank the Torrance Marriott Redondo Beach for once again going above and beyond for Power-Con. The staff there is the nicest and most generous group of people I’ve ever worked with at a hotel in all my years. And they always look forward to having us at their hotel. I may post the video of them unloading the exclusives for us out of the delivery truck. They had an assembly line of staff moving those into storage for us. Some were even wearing high heels while they did it. That’s just one of MANY examples of how amazing they are at the Torrance Marriott.

That brings me to the guest talent and exhibitors who came out to Power-Con. We had a number of repeat vendors, which is fantastic. It means a lot that so many people continue to support our small, yet very strong show, and we’re thrilled they do the type of business at Power-Con that has them coming back year after year. We also appreciate all the amazing talent who came out to meet fans, speak at panels, and hang out afterwards at the bar and in the hallways to give fans memories to last forever.

And then we have the incredible volunteers who bust their backsides to help out with Registration, watch and manage the lines, and much more. We appreciate all the volunteers who would take time from enjoying panels or walking around the show to come help us make it an amazing event for fellow fans. And we’re extremely appreciative of all the volunteers who help out year to year.

We’re also fortunate to have the members of the press who come out to report on Power-Con. From reports on the overall show, to interviews and panel coverage, they let others know what they were missing while also sharing some things you could have only seen at Power-Con. So thank you again to the fourth and fifth estates!

I can’t go without giving a special thanks to John Dorries (dorrmann, the Admin of the He-Man.Org forums). I can’t go into exact details, but if it had not been for John’s help on something major, we would NOT have had a Power-Con. So a huge thank you to John!

And we couldn’t have the show without the volunteer staff for Power-Con. We have a regular crew that many of you know by now. This year saw the return of Rachel Crockett, Daniel Benedict, Christina Eardley, Dan Eardley, Danielle Gelehrter, Jon Kallis, Bethalyn McKie, Matt Tyree and Tim Wiess, and the new addition of Casi Clark. They all help with planning before and during the show, and help to make sure the event runs smooth for attendees. If you know them online, or see them at a future show, please consider letting them know how you feel about all they have done for Power-Con.

Most importantly, thank you to all the fans who came out to the show. There were many first-timers this year and based on their feedback, I think we’ve picked up a number of new regulars for Power-Con. So I hope Power-Con 2017 is around the corner! And for everyone who attended, if you had a great time, please spread the word! Let other fans know what the show is like and hopefully you can help encourage them to come. Word-of-mouth is our biggest advertising tool, and we hope as many He-Man and She-Ra fans possible from across the globe will come out to experience what makes Power-Con so special for the rest of us.

It means so much that so many of you enjoy and support Power-Con. And it’s amazing that our fandom is so strong that a show like Power-Con can continue to grow despite not currently having a new movie for He-Man, or not having had a new cartoon in twelve years. He-Man and She-Ra have a special place in the hearts for so many fans across the globe. And I am eagerly awaiting the day when we can all get together at Power-Con to celebrate new entertainment on the big or small screen!

We’ll be doing a special Power-Con recap episode on the Roast Gooble Dinner podcast to talk about everything that happened at the show, including some fun stories many of you don’t know about. For example, wait until you find out why the Torrance Bakery made cookies depicting He-Man lifting a stack of pallets over his head.

Thank you again to everyone who came out to this year’s show, and we hope to see you all again at a future show, along with a lot of new faces. So, here’s hoping for Power-Con 2017. Until then, I wish you all a good journey!

Val Staples, AKA: JVS3
    Power-Con Event Director

Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Power-Con returns in 2016! Hope to see you there!

Well said and Thank you Val! Until next time....
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

After two years of no Power-Con, I can say that the time off made me appreciate the community coming together even more. This was my third Power-Con, and very one has gotten better. It's become a very special trip across the country for me. Like many of us, the majority of people in my every day life just don't understand my love for this property. Being around good friends who not only understand, but share in that enthusiasm is a wonderful thing for the soul. I saw many old friends, met some people in person for the first time, and made entirely new connections. I'd like to thank all the people who worked tirelessly to ensure the convention went off without a hitch, so that everybody else could just enjoy it. We all noticed and very much appreciated it. Hope to see you ALL in 2017!
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2016!!!

OTHER PRIORITIES: Inspector Darkney Master Sebrian and Gleep Admiral Scurvey and Squall Starburst She-Ra Scratchin' Sound CatraGrot Spyster Caz & Drissi Crystal Moonbeam Crystal Sun Dancer Meliac NA Prince Adam Chef Allen Songster Scrollos Karg Kowla Red Eye

Heroic Warrior
    The attendance was up 30%?

Now these are awesome news! It's the demonstration that MOTU is still holding. I hope that Mattel can realize this, and see the huge potential of this franchise!

Congratulations and thanks to all that contribute on making this Power-Con a huge success! Until the next one!

Val, I think we also should include you in the "Thank You" list. Very few people know just how much work you put into Power-Con, not just for the show itself, but for the months leading up to it.

Eh.. I dunno. Everyone else deserves the props.
    As long as people know I'm there doing something, that's enough for me.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Power-Con returns in 2016! Hope to see you there!

Thank you Val, and thank you everyone for the hard work! I had a blast (as usual), and can't wait for 2017!

Great work putting together this show. I brought my family on Saturday and had a great time. We were also happy to find out that you were selling the exclusives right there without a pre-order since we missed it. Really looking forward to next year!

Hope to make it to one eventually! Glad to hear it was a success and to hear about the possibility of more exclusives! Also, thanks to the awesome workers that got my non-attendee package to me in Wisconsin.

Val, I think it's safe to say that Power-Con simply would NOT happen without you, so yeah, you deserve juuuuuuuuuust a bit of credit, mister!

As far as your note above, I would say that the warmth and gratitude that it expresses perfectly encapsulates what going to Power-Con feels like.

Thank you for another great show, and for summing it up so very well!
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; Today at 01:36am.
    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

A big thank you Val. You and your team did a support job. Power-Con was a big success!! Thanks for the Power-Con Exclusives and that you made it available to all the MOTU International fans. Hopefully there will be more exclusive at future Power-Cons.

I received my Exclusive during the week and I stay in Cape Town, South Africa. Packaging was support. Actually Digital River should come to you and take some lessons from you and your team what shipping and packaging is all about.

Congrats on a very successful Power-Con 2016!!!
    Please like my cool MOTU Universe FaceBook page at:

https://www.facebook.com/browse/admi...14947855236095

Thank you Val and everyone else for putting on the Con and everything else. I hope to see another Power-Con, seeing attendance up first hand. It looked like more people than ever.

As far as an exclusive. I know this will drive everyone nuts but... Ilumina!
    It just makes sense.

I want to say thank you to Val and everyone he named and any others - including the relevant folk at Mattel - who made PowerCon happen and made it such a success.

As an Aussie I did not go to PowerCon but I was able, thanks to the organisers, to obtain the three exclusive figures. These items arrived in A1 condition and much quicker than my monthly MOTUC deliveries!

It is sad the PowerCon lead up was tarnished with the uncertainty over the future of Classics, but it sounds like this did not in any way diminish the event and the good times enjoyed by all those able to attend.

I hope the US fans and Mattel can continue to support PowerCon I to the future. Thank you once again to all involved in helping to promote this fantastic property and mythos that is MOTU.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Heroic Warrior
    Well done to everyone involved. As a UK non-attendee I must say I was impressed with the international distribution of the exclusive figures. I had concerns about availability for non-attendees when the exclusives were first announced - concerns which I voiced here - but the system that Val and the team put in place quelled my fears completely, so great job.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Thanks Val and to everyone that helped put on a great show ! I had a great time at Power Con 2016 and have been to each one since the first one. I really appreciate all the hard work that went into making it a success. I picked up the exclusives for myself and a friend that couldn't attend at the last minute. Always good to see the familiar faces for the previous ones and new meeting fans. The German audiotapes was fun panel and glad I didn't miss it. Thanks to all the fans the helped support the Power Con it really means a lot and looking forward to attending the next one.
    Thank You for your support ....OCTAVIA 5000! Success rate 100% WooHooo!