Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you want mattel to tackle the wings on a Filmation Sorceress

Heroic Warrior

How do you want mattel to tackle the wings on a Filmation Sorceress

I'm curious what you guys suggest would be the ideal way to fix wing issue on a filmation sorceress. I mean people hated the drums. Her first release is expensive she is a key character so it's pretty much a given she will be reissued in the filmation line. I'm not sure of the best way to correct them but I do want her underside to be painted all orange and not the blue orange combo like on the original

please release accurate Filmation of-- Fisto, roboto, kobra khan, grizzlor, mantenna. Leech, entrapta, , spikor, buzz off, whiplash, webstor, prince adam, rattlor, mekaneck, jitsu, ram man, frosta, bow, Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

I'd want a more Filmation face but everything else was fine. For the wings--something like the old Silverhawks where the wings had small clips on the wrists and a soft plastic or fabric cape would be better ( to me ). Maybe some wire inside the stitching a couple places so it poses well?

Obviously you could update it with modern advancements. And unlike the stiff arms of toys here i dont think this would hinder the articulation of the Motuc female arms
    Last edited by ksharpe; August 5, 2015 at 08:38am.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Didnt care for the drums on the motuc release or that it effected the available posability of the figure.
    Id be open to something different
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, King Miro, Melaktha, Crystal-Man, ABC Giants, Stridor, Road Ripper, Land Shark

Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    Didnt care for the drums on the motuc release or that it effected the available posability of the figure.
    Id be open to something different
    Same here. No fabric though. But there's got to be a way to make it better I do agree with that.

In a similar fashion to Shadow Weavers cape type thing. Other than that, I'd have toponder. But, anything would bebetter than drum shoulders.
    Recent.... HATMOTU Beast Man & Evil Seed
    Coming....
    Wanted.... Filmation Mer-Man, Teela & Sorceress
    Considering....
    Needed.... MOTUC Lord Masque

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Didn't Emiliano have a pretty good Sorceress wing design? Can't remember exactly what it was. Something like Batros maybe? That would work.

Or like the recent Spider Woman in Marvel Legends - two sets of removable wings, one opened, one closed.

Ula....
    Realise that it's very old now but when I got it I immediately began to customize with ball-joints wings ala S.H.Figuarts.

Last edited by Mimikrakra; August 4, 2015 at 08:58pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah the approach Hasbro used for Spiderwoman with swappable expanded and closed webbing might work. But what about sitting in her throne. That might not work. Maybe a very flexible plastic or softgoods to allow open, closed and sitting

please release accurate Filmation of-- Fisto, roboto, kobra khan, grizzlor, mantenna. Leech, entrapta, , spikor, buzz off, whiplash, webstor, prince adam, rattlor, mekaneck, jitsu, ram man, frosta, bow, Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

Make a new bicep with the main part of the wing sculpted in the bicep.

Sorry for the crude drawing, but the idea is make the top part of the wing part of the bicep mold. That way bicep and wing are one piece.
    The other 2 collapsible pieces would join at the hole. The pegs to cover the hole could have sculpted details to blend in.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Crita is coming... Now I NEED SONGSTER! The Awesometastic Bard!

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfHeMan View Post
    Or like the recent Spider Woman in Marvel Legends - two sets of removable wings, one opened, one closed.
    This is what I was thinking. It's a pretty good solution.
    Hey Super 7, Snake Mountain rocks! Let's Kickstart it!

Anything but the drums behind the shoulders!

I'd be in for the removable wings (in one or two poses).

I was also wondering if the new open-ness to more flexible/rubbery plastics might open up some new options.

I'd like to be able to put her legs together so she can achieve the Filmation stance.

Able to sit on the throne.
    Thundercats Hooooooooooo!

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    Make a new bicep with the main part of the wing sculpted in the bicep.
    http://i.imgur.com/LyD6KGV.jpg
    Sorry for the crude drawing, but the idea is make the top part of the wing part of the bicep mold. That way bicep and wing are one piece.
    The other 2 collapsible pieces would join at the hole. The pegs to cover the hole could have sculpted details to blend in.
    That is basically Emiliano's design, which is good, but there are some drawbacks:

1) Mattel attempted a similar collapsible wing mechanism before and it didn't turn out so great. It also shares the same limitation as the 1.0 figure- it's a bit too rigid to do justice to the feather cloak that the Sorceress wears.

2) When her bicep is rotated she'll end up with a big gap between her wings and her tail feathers. Her cloak is supposed to be all one piece.

I'd prefer an overlapping soft plastic cloak, a bit like Shadow Weaver's. Or something like Mimikraka suggested, that looks pretty great. Even softgoods might be worth considering, to allow for maximum posability.

One things for sure, a Filmation accurate Sorceress should have All-Orange feathers on the inside of her wings. (Please 4HM, limit the blue to the outside)
    Last edited by RocketPunch; August 4, 2015 at 11:53pm.

Why not make the wings out of the pliable plastic that Netossa's cape is made out of?

Heroic Warrior
    You can only make plastic so pliable. No joint on the figure is going to be strong enough to hold a pose that changes the shape of the wings.

Shadow weaver has a small cape in comparison and her arms pose okay, but Sorceress would need something much bigger.

I hope they just make the wings cloth. That would solve so many issues. Or better yet give us cloth wings and clunky plastic wings for everyone who wants those.

Heroic Warrior
    It can't be too hard to improve over the giant tumors she had on the first release which made her look good in only one pose from one angle. I really love the first release sculpt and paint, but yeah that design was terrible.

Yeah but why is Mattel incapable of delivering us all that though?

Quote Originally Posted by Mimikrakra View Post
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimikrakra View Post
    Ula....
    Realise that it's very old now but when I got it I immediately began to customize with ball-joints wings ala S.H.Figuarts.
    This looks pretty cool in those pictures. What does it look like from the back?

Heroic Warrior
    Mattel's ridiculous toy safety standards may nix that brilliant execution during testing. At the end of the day, even an adult collector's line will be scrutinized because they want those molds to potentially be reused for their kids' lines.

I am really ok with cloth, as long as it's patterned correctly and made of a sturdy material. I never understood the allergy of soft goods materials. Moss Man was flocked. Hordak was vac-metal. Grizzlor is furry. Megator even had rooted hair. It visually diversifies the display.

I was a fan of the different pieces idea but executed differently:

This I feel is a design scheme that helps those who hate cloth. Any other way to articulate the wings makes it a mechanical mess. I own S.H. Figuarts, and the plastic capes are beautiful until they have to be dynamic. The only solution I see is preset soft molded wings anticipating certain poses. This would be how my design works….

**New torso: Sorceress’s back is flat, all the way to the waist articulation, with 6 exposed pegs (2 left pegs, 2 right pegs, 2 towards the small of her back)
    Center piece: Center overlay, the same length as her torso ending at the waist articulation. These are her back feathers, a very sturdy plastic and will hide the mechanics. This has 6 interior ports that plug it into place using the pegs on her back. Here is how it functions, outlined below:

a. This piece is removed to insert the other wings’ holes into these pegs on her back.
    b. The center wing piece then locks the wings in place by buttoning/fastening into her back.

These wing pieces below would be made of very soft plastic (think Shadow Weaver’s or Netossa’s cape) to facilitate movement at the shoulder. Each wing has a blue cuff designed to slide onto the arm. The first 4 pieces achieve straight-arm poses. For bent arm poses that will move the forearms away from the wings, pieces 5 and 6 would be included to compensate for this. Lastly, a sturdy tail piece is included, which can be removed when sitting on her throne. This achieves the majority of her poses:

Wing piece 1: 30-45º/”Relaxed” (left), cuff: upper arm
    Wing piece 2: 30-45º/”Relaxed” (right), cuff: upper arm
    Wing piece 3: 90º/”Full spread” (left), cuff: upper arm
    Wing piece 4: 90º/”Full spread” (right), cuff: upper arm
    Wing piece 5: 90º bent arm piece (left), cuff: forearm
    Wing piece 6: 90º bent arm piece (right), cuff: forearm
    Wing piece 7: tail piece, attached at the small of her back (removable for sitting)

Each wing that cuffs the upper arm will wrap around, ending behind her back. This slack ending at the back would each have 2 holes that are slid through the corresponding pegs on her back, then locked into place using the center wing piece. The soft material maintains her posability. And the forearm pieces are added for bent arm poses. This is a lot of tooling, but really, only the torso and wings would be new.
    Last edited by Jun-Yor; August 5, 2015 at 01:32pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jun-Yor View Post
    It visually diversifies the display.
    One man's "visual diversity" is another's "stylistic inconsistency".
    Hey Super 7, Snake Mountain rocks! Let's Kickstart it!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by degra View Post
    How do you want mattel to tackle the wings on a Filmation Sorceress?
    Preferably lightly breaded with a honey mustard glaze...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Preferably lightly breaded with a honey mustard glaze...
    LOL mmmmmmm

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    One man's "visual diversity" is another's "stylistic inconsistency".
    I couldn't imagine Moss Man or Grizzlor done any other way. Netossa's "net" is proof of that.

I'd hate for a Sorceress fix to not make it to the Classics line, but the Shadow Weaver solution should work best.

I have zero suggestions as I have complete faith that Brandon S. will knock any new design completely out of the park. Too many cooks spoil the pot, I'm no action figure engineer, and I don't want to throw my hat into what is sure to be an already crowded ring.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!