Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Teela's father in my canon

I think we are all passionate about MOTU and that's what brings us all to the boards. But sometimes reading through these threads gets discouraging when people bicker over the most minor details that an animator or story writer happens to miss, and I sit there and think...

"Really? Really? They are gonna debate the presence of eggshells or a baby being safe in a nest? Of all things to not use you're imagination on. Everyone thinks it's normal for for a woman with magical powers living in a castle who is able to turn into a bird, a fishman trying to steal the bird's baby, and a giant sea creature which demands a sacrafice, but they find it hard to believe a baby could be safe in a nest or eggshells not being visible in the picture. Talk about twisted imaginations"

I think Teela is one of if not the most debated character in MOTU and the debates are no short of epic. My thoughts on Teela, even going back to the early 80's were reflected best by MYP so I go with them in my cannon. With that being said I still love the mystery of the whole topic.

The Monkey King Sun Wu Kong aka Son Goku was born from a stone egg. It's one of the things that made him special.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    One thing I've noticed is that with Filmation, the problem some MYP fans find is a lack of logic, whereas with MYP, the problem some Filmation fans find is a lack of style. I think both sets of fans are aware of their respective favored toons' shortcomings, but they don't care.
    At the end of the day, I'd take the lack of style (which is totally subjective) over the lack of logic (which is totally not).

Besides, I've talked about what some of my grievances are with 200X, between the toys, toon, and even comics. I can't recall any of the hardcore Filmation nostalgists doing the same. Not saying that they haven't, just that I can't recall. And this discussion is an example.

I took that as Filmation's way of letting the audience know that it was Teela. It's a cheat that I've seen various cartoons use so the audience can recognize the infant.
    It wouldn't be so bad, if the rest of the scene doesn't fail on so many other levels. If Teela was being discussed, then there's no reason to use the red hair to illustrate and overly obvious point. It's just bad writing overall.

Characters don't have to be a obvious race or ethinic group in order to utilize their influences. Procrustus is based on Atlas, for example, but doesn't look Greek. Hordak's face comes from an African mask. And the Filmation designers did have all sorts of influences in their designs and plots.
    See my point? It's far easier to drum up a totally impertinent point, and ride it all the way to parts unknown, rather than actually address the most germane aspects of the discussion.... Those aspects that involve the acknowledgement of the flaws of their beloved nostalgic canon.

No, but wearing nothing? Not even a diaper? That suggests that Baby Teela wasn't carried from Grayskull (where the Sorceress would have given her some covering before her flight), but was born in that nest. Now was Filmation remiss in not drawing a diaper or eggshells?
    Precisely. They refuse to answer how the bird got the baby to the nest. How did the bird carry the infant there, since there were not swaddlings?

You either A) carried the baby there (which is problematic, since there's no visible means of how this was achieved), or B) had the baby in the nest (since the Sorceress can't leave the castle in her human form).

Which is it?

Adam and Adora weren't naked. But arguably, the royal prince and princess probably wouldn't be naked.
    1) This is just more bait & switch. What does the weather have to do with anything?

2) That's totally inaccurate:

*MAA = fully clothed

* King and Queen = Fully clothed

* Prince and princess = Fully clothed

* Sorceress, in her chicken outfit = fully clothed.

Bottom line, they are at a loss, to justify the most fundamental aspects that are needed to make this plot device work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wait...

I think I know how this can work.

The Sorceress is something of an oracle. Maybe she learned through divination and meditation that a good foster father for her daughter would be out in the Crystal Sea on a particular day, but couldn't foresee who would show up (she also didn't know about Mer-Man spotting her making a nest). So she made the nest beforehand and flew Teela there that morning and waited for this man to arrive and take Teela. There would be no identifying blankets or garments to trace back to The Sorceress, even with Eternia's technology or magic.
    Hil-freakin'-larious.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Yeah...me and Samurai36 vs you and Mr. Shokoti! Era War Tag Team Battle Royale!!

It's all good--we're all friends here! No disrespect intended! It was all fun debating!
    Absolutely. I'm all for the spirited debate. I don't take any of this personally, and I wish others wouldn't either. I'm glad that we are all passionate about this franchise. It's no different than Chicagoans debating about the Sox vs the Cubs, or back home, NY'ers debating the Mets vs the Yankees.

It's all for the love of your home town, which both teams represent.
    Last edited by SAMURAI36; April 23, 2011 at 11:36pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

I've stated this before. Teela is Duncan And Sorceress's love child. They met, fell in love, and got with child while Teela Na still thought maybe she could have a life, but alas it was not to be. So she gave Duncan their c hild to raise, knowing they could never have a life together, but that he could have their ch ild and always know they had that short time. together.

Now, this is what I thought when I was a kid based on...I dont really know what. I was like 5 and this just came to me. I thought I found it somewhere but I know now that it was my imagination. I still feel this is the only reasonable explination, so it is always the first thing I "alter" in any continuity to suit me. I can ignore whatever they say that applies to this being not the case.

Duncan is teela's biological father, from a forbidden love long ago. Sorceress can never be a mother or a wife but gets to oversee the life she can never be a real part of. Teela will someday (suffer?) the same fate as her mother to become the guardian of grayskull, and cannot know unitl that time that her mother is still alive. THis is the burden she and Duncan and the sorceress bear.

I love it, and nothing comes close to taking it's place.

I have no beef with clones so I am happy with that origin.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightboy1984 View Post
    I think we are all passionate about MOTU and that's what brings us all to the boards. But sometimes reading through these threads gets discouraging when people bicker over the most minor details that an animator or story writer happens to miss, and I sit there and think...

"Really? Really? They are gonna debate the presence of eggshells or a baby being safe in a nest? Of all things to not use you're imagination on. Everyone thinks it's normal for for a woman with magical powers living in a castle who is able to turn into a bird, a fishman trying to steal the bird's baby, and a giant sea creature which demands a sacrafice, but they find it hard to believe a baby could be safe in a nest or eggshells not being visible in the picture. Talk about twisted imaginations"
    I don't think there's anything twisted going on. One set of fans think Filmation Teela came from an egg, which happens in mythology. The other set of fans think Filmation Teela was carried out to the Crystal Sea and put in a nest. Both sides of the argument are giving their reasons for why they think this way.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

It took me a while to get around to posting this but i finally posted my edited version of one of the first four mini-comics so that the he-man there was oo-larr, it was the same man-at-arms just younger and tee-la is the sorceress of grayskull we are familiar with who's full name to me is tee-la na. i put it in the fan fiction forum so please feel free to check it out on this thread here...
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2917770

Since UK comics origin was the first Teela origin for me, in my (main) canon she's the daughter of the Sorceress and some unknown man.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    For me Skeletor is Teelas creator. He cloned her. For me its one of the view things they done right in the Bios. But each his own

Quote Originally Posted by EuroCoin View Post
    Since UK comics origin was the first Teela origin for me, in my (main) canon she's the daughter of the Sorceress and some unknown man.
    do you happen to know which UK comic had a teela origin story? i would like to read it sometime. for years teela's father was an unknown soldier for me as well but when the oo-larr idea popped into my hea it just of seemed to fit well with most of the canons (besides the 200x or the cloning)

Quote Originally Posted by nightboy1984 View Post
    do you happen to know which UK comic had a teela origin story? i would like to read it sometime. for years teela's father was an unknown soldier for me as well but when the oo-larr idea popped into my hea it just of seemed to fit well with most of the canons (besides the 200x or the cloning)
    The two part story is divided between issues 57 & 58.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

thanks, i can't wait to check it out!

Teela's father for me will always be an unknown soldier who was simply a great man who died before she was born. Man-At-Arms will always be her adoptive father and Fisto is not related to her in any way as he is not Man-At-Arms' brother or father from some alternate universe.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Eldor, Spinnerella, Mermista, Peekablue, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Battle Ram, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted for Filmation Sub: Madame Razz with Broom, Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Teela's father for me will always be an unknown soldier who was simply a great man who died before she was born. Man-At-Arms will always be her adoptive father and Fisto is not related to her in any way as he is not Man-At-Arms' brother or father from some alternate universe.
    Fisto being the brother of Man-At-Arms was something that kinda grew on me. And i thought that if i wanted to connect the He-ro sone of he-man storyline to the regular MOTU line it would be good to have Fisto as Kay-La's father since Kay-la was described as being the niece of Man-At-Arms but it was never said who kay-La's parents were

I like the idea of Teela being the daughter of Oo-Larr and Teela'Na. Found the MOTUC bio of her being a clone very confusing and I hated how MYP was going to make Fisto be Teela's biological daddy. Both shows said Teela'Na was married but it's quite easy to deduce it was mentioned to avoid implications of Teela being a love child since those shows were aimed at kids.

If and when we get an Oo-Larr figure, hopefully it says something regarding his fate. I'm going to have to assume he was mortally wounded by Skeletor trying to rescue Adora.

yeah i agree. in both the myp version and in the uk mini comic sorceress specificly used the word husband when describing him

film noir warrior maltesefalcon's Avatar
    since the start of the classics i have been using the info in the bios to flesh out my own canon, and my idea was that teelas father was the previous captain of the guards betrayed by kronis who was a guard himself at this time. this captain went down in a last stand worthy of beast wars dinobot saving the king and helping to capture kronis.it is this event which kicks off the gar racism thing due to the death of the beloved captain.
    when your world turns upside down, laugh at the people standing on their heads!

I'm a big Bio fan, so the clone angle is great for me (big Star Wars fan, too, so clones are always welcome, just cap your counting at 65 ).

That said, I love the idea of the Teela in the earliest minis being Teela-Na and of her having a relationship with Oo-Lar, even if just the flirtatious relationship that Teela and He-Man have for so long. It does go toward explaining the choice of Duncan as her adopted father.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Starchild needs some love Morningstar's Avatar
    Teela's father is the spirit of Grayskull

film noir warrior maltesefalcon's Avatar
    this thread actually inspired me to write out a little history see my sig for details!
    when your world turns upside down, laugh at the people standing on their heads!

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I'm a big Bio fan, so the clone angle is great for me (big Star Wars fan, too, so clones are always welcome, just cap your counting at 65 ).

That said, I love the idea of the Teela in the earliest minis being Teela-Na and of her having a relationship with Oo-Lar, even if just the flirtatious relationship that Teela and He-Man have for so long. It does go toward explaining the choice of Duncan as her adopted father.
    i feel like for years it was a msytery why duncan of all people was chosen by the soreress to be teela's father