Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Official" Superhero & Comic Book Thread!!!

The "Official" Superhero & Comic Book Thread!!!

There seem to be a lot of comic fans on this forum. There are also a lot of people here, like me, who spend more time here than anywhere else online. Since there is always news related to comics to talk about and I've personally found the comic forums I used to frequent not as fun to visit as they used to be, I thought a catch-all thread that covers all things superheroes & comic books could be fun & useful.

* Do you want to talk about DC Comics & their latest event mini-series?

* What are your opinions on Marvel Comics & their latest big screen movie?

* Did you read the latest Conan or Star Wars comics?

* What comic related TV show are you watching or looking forward to?

* Is there a manga you just finished that you're dying to talk about?

* Who is currently making the best comic book toys?

* Played any cool video games recently based on a comic book?

* Why did you start reading comics in the first place & what were your favorites as a kid?

Discuss any of that and more right here!!!
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

*Generic rant about the abysmal state of Marvel during Quesada's reign goes here*

Villainous Marauder Monkeyboy Prime's Avatar
    1. Flashpoint might be good I don't think there has been enough lead-in to it.
    2. I was always more of a Marvel guy growing up but now....eh. Marvel has much better movies but that might be just a matter of there being like 3 marvel movies to every one DC movie. Thor had better be good.
    3. Not really, I have read some of the Star Wars books and enjoyed them but not enough to keep up with them. I did really like the Tag and Bink!
    4.Batman: The Brave and the bold and The Avengers still haven't seen the new young justice cartoon is it any good? Oh and The Walking Dead=awesome.
    5. no.
    6. I want to like the new Marvel Universe figures but the scale just turns me off. I loved the Marvel Legends line but quit when Hasbro took over, I guess Mattel by default.
    7. I like DC universe online a lot, and Ultimate Alliance was great the sequel not so much.
    8. G.I. Joe: Special Missions #18. I actually bought two original pages from the book last year.
    When will we get our Songster figure Mattel???

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    *Generic rant about the abysmal state of Marvel during Quesada's reign goes here*

You don't know how hard it was for me not to say something similar. I just didn't want to do my usual Marvel bashing nor scare off any people who might actually like JoeyQ's "Dark Reign".

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy Prime View Post
    1. Flashpoint might be good I don't think there has been enough lead-in to it.
    I agree. So far, the only title leading into it is The Flash and it is really late in releasing its issues on a monthly basis. Although, while Flashpoint doesn't seem to have a unique idea behind it(Age Of Apocalypse, House Of M), at least we have an idea as to what the event is about. I'm still not sure what Marvel's Fear Itself is about after its confusing promo ads & little talk about the premise from the company that usually holds press conferences when a character has dinner in an upcoming issue.

2. I was always more of a Marvel guy growing up but now....eh. Marvel has much better movies but that might be just a matter of there being like 3 marvel movies to every one DC movie. Thor had better be good.
    While I feel Marvel is really hit or miss with their movies, I have enjoyed what they're doing with the Marvel Studios Marvel Movieverse more than the Marvel Comics Universe under JoeyQ. In fact, I even preferred Iron Man over The Dark Knight(the first Iron Man, not the disappointing sequel). I don't think Thor looks that good, but I read a review at CBR last night that loved it(although I'm not sure I can totally trust them since they have exclusive columns from Marvel on their site; they seem to have taken over for Wizard as Marvel's promotional tool). Cap on the other hand looks pretty good to me.

3. Not really, I have read some of the Star Wars books and enjoyed them but not enough to keep up with them. I did really like the Tag and Bink!
    I'm a Star Wars fan, but I haven't really read much of Dark Horse's SW comics since they first got the license. As much product as they put out, it gets a little intimidating as to where I should start reading.

4.Batman: The Brave and the bold and The Avengers still haven't seen the new young justice cartoon is it any good? Oh and The Walking Dead=awesome.
    I haven't seen the Avengers, only seen clips of The Brave And The Bold, but I have seen every episode of Young Justice. It isn't bad, but I still feel there is room for improvement(especially when it comes to making some of the characters likable and giving Aqualad a personality).

I fell asleep during the Walking Dead pilot and haven't gotten around to giving it a second chance yet. I read the first year of the comic when it first came out and felt it was pretty good, but I'm really zombied out these days.

5. no.
    I'm not against Manga, but I haven't really read any of it since I was a kid in the 80's(Kamui, Xenon).

6. I want to like the new Marvel Universe figures but the scale just turns me off. I loved the Marvel Legends line but quit when Hasbro took over, I guess Mattel by default.
    Unless you include DCUC VS MOTUC, I'm not currently getting any superhero toys. I'm having trouble as it is coming up with the money & room for MOTUC.

7. I like DC universe online a lot, and Ultimate Alliance was great the sequel not so much.
    I'm tempted to try DC Universe Online, but I still haven't done so yet. If I do, it will be my first MMORPG.

8. G.I. Joe: Special Missions #18. I actually bought two original pages from the book last year.
    I can tell you my first MOTU toys(Stratos & Battle Cat), my first G.I. Joe(Snowjob & the Polar Battle Bear), and my first issues of Mad(#249) & Cracked Magazine(#199), but, since I've been getting comics for as long as I can remember, I just don't know what my first comic was. I definitely was a big fan of Marvel's G.I. joe though.

I've heard about this movie for awhile now. It's based on a popular Italian comic and is finally getting released theatrically in a couple weeks...

Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; April 18, 2011 at 04:09am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

That Dylan Dog movie looks like it could be fun, I keep thinking I'll finally get around to reading the books but then something else comes up.
    Totally agree about Fear Itself, I guess it's something like "other Thors"? I don't know maybe I'm just crossover-ed out.

How about Spider-Man? I know a lot of people said that OMD made them quit reading ASM but I thought that after that it got really good.

That Dylan Dog movie looks like it could be fun, I keep thinking I'll finally get around to reading the books but then something else comes up.
    The movie looks pretty fun to me as well. It's weird seeing "Superman" & "Jimmy Olsen" in the world of "Buffy The Vampire Slayer".

Totally agree about Fear Itself, I guess it's something like "other Thors"? I don't know maybe I'm just crossover-ed out.
    I understand what Marvel is doing with Fear Itself. Since Captain America & Thor are their big movies this summer, they are making a crossover heavy with those 2 characters. The Red Skull's daughter gets new powers from Norse mythology while Odin just happens to return in time for Anthony Hopkin's portrayal. I also hear Steve Rogers is going to be Captain America again as well, but I'm not sure if that will be in this mini. While it makes sense as a way to lure in movie fans who don't normally read comics, that hardly ever works. If there is even a little blip in comic sales after a new superhero movie, it goes right back to normal after a couple of months. I hate how the people in charge at Marvel only seem to think of the comics as fodder for new movies while caring little of what those of us who have been loyal to the company for decades feel.

How about Spider-Man? I know a lot of people said that OMD made them quit reading ASM but I thought that after that P.O.S it got really good.
    I'm not currently buying any Marvel books anymore, but I occasionally flip through them(or actually read some like I did with Fear Itself #1). I was still buying them when BND started. Like most people, I HATED OMD. While I'm not a huge MJ fan(she's often been written as annoying to me), there were so many better ways to "fix" Spidey(even though the marriage wasn't hurting him imo; that's what Ultimate Spidey is for). Anyway, I tried BND but didn't like it. I didn't like how most of the "new" villains were obviously based on classic Spidey villains. I also didn't like that Peter was now written as kinda unlikable as well as someone whose life was full of one night stands(he didn't seem like the Peter I grew up with). I'm also not fond of what has been done to Jonah(or his wife). That latest temporary costume of his also makes the Iron Spidey costume look good imo.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; April 18, 2011 at 05:10am.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I understand what Marvel is doing with Fear Itself. Since Captain America & Thor are their big movies this summer, they are making a crossover heavy with those 2 characters. The Red Skull's daughter gets new powers from Norse mythology while Odin just happens to return in time for Anthony Hopkin's portrayal. I also hear Steve Rogers is going to be Captain America again as well, but I'm not sure if that will be in this mini.
    Yeah, I'm about on the same level. It seems like Fear Itself is at least partially a vehicle to return Asgard to the status quo that gels with the movie, the same way the X-Men titles tried to line up with their movies. Matt Fraction (writer of Fear Itself and Thor) is also the guy generally considered to have brought Iron Man "back in line" with the movie version (bringing Pepper back to prominence, absolving Tony of his acts in Civil War, etc) so it makes sense. They already casually brought Odin and Loki back, so it's all setting up the pieces.

Fear Itself doesn't seem to generate much hype, though, and most of what I've seen is bad. The "Chosen" (The hammer-bearers for the series) aren't that interesting as a group (Basically all of them are super-strong bruisers... who now have hammers), the Serpent is really shoe-horned in as the "new big bad" and such. Also, Bucky will be in a Russian prison during the event. Some kind of murder charge thing, but I'm sure it's mostly about getting Steve coming back as Cap. Fraction is not a good writer, in my mind. He's barely more qualified than Bendis to handle this sort of thing.

Also, before I forget, Fear Itself also features some heavy-handed social relevance in the form of adressing the World Trade Center mosque protests. It is just as hamfisted as it sounds.

Anyway, I tried BND but didn't like it.
    I feel the Spider-Man titles are still struggling under the metaphysical weight of OMD. Quesada dictating a story that essentially mocked the fans (Called "One Moment In Time" which explains how OMD "worked) was pretty groan-inducing, and there's constant waffling around in which direction to take the franchise. The current regime seem to be under the mindset that Peter's life should always be a never-ending downward spiral of failure and loss, totally disregarding that that was only ever part of why Spider-Man became popular originally.

Also, I know a lot of people loved Grim Hunt, but I found it utterly bad. Maybe even offensively so.

Fraction is not a good writer, in my mind. He's barely more qualified than Bendis to handle this sort of thing.
    I'm not a Fraction fan either. He might be a better writer than Bendis, but he's definitely more boring imo. Bendis is easier to read similar to how a bad sitcom is easier to watch then a documentary on peat moss.

Also, before I forget, Fear Itself also features some heavy-handed social relevance in the form of adressing the World Trade Center mosque protests. It is just as hamfisted as it sounds.
    Marvel seems to love to force in analogies in their stories these days. I don't know if it's "suggested" by the EIC or not, but it's a lot less subtle than what Stan Lee did with Professor X(Martin Luther King Jr) & Magneto(Malcom X) decades ago. They did it with Civil War, Secret Invasion, and now even more blatantly in Fear Itself.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Ultimate Spider-Man isn't so dead after all...he's back with a new costume.

My immediate problem with Fear Itself is Odin. Wasn't a very big plot point during Thor's "All-Father Thor" Jurgen's run was that Odin and the other gods knew that the worship of Mortals was long past? Odin knew this because he was on the Council of Godheads. I guess Fraction didn't read those stories...
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; April 18, 2011 at 11:02am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

http://www.comicbookresources.com/as...1303130250.jpg

My immediate problem with Fear Itself is Odin. Wasn't a very big plot point during Thor's "All-Father Thor" Jurgen's run was that Odin and the other gods knew that the worship of Mortals was long past? Odin knew this because he was on the Council of Godheads. I guess Fraction didn't read those stories...
    Or he is choosing to ignore them to tell his story. I would say a good story but that has yet to be seen.

The only comics I am reading at this point are the Green Lantern related titles, Red Sonja, Birds of Prey, Zatanna and some some things like Doctor Who, World of Warcraft. I would like to get caught up on Conan and try to read Gotham Sirens and possibly Angel.

I don't really care to much about events at this point unless it has something to do with what I am currently reading. I find typically find the build up just isn't enough and they tend to be more disruptive and/or interruptive to current stories. Which honestly was fine for something like Blackest Night it being pretty much a zombie story.

As a character I like Thor more then Captain America, but I am looking more towards the Cap movie then the Thor one. I have said many times that I was reluctant towards a Thor movie in the first place as it's going to be one of the harder ones to bring to the screen.

I stopped reading Star Wars comics with the resent title reset. I have heard good things about them, but I have gone into money saving mode so that was a good time to stop collecting them.

I would like to see some new episode of Young Justice. After that I have been watching Avengers which is probably done for the season. Walking dead was also great looking forward to the second season. Outside of that I don't even know if what I am watching is comic related or not.

I haven't really looked too much into manga, most of the stuff I find locally tends to be teen drama dredge so I pass on it.

I am only collecting two toy lines right now, DCUC and Doctor Who. Even in that I am only collecting certain figures. I basically need Doctors 1, 2, 3, and 8 and maybe some of the companions (unless the release a companion set the second seems unlikely). DCUC after this year it's going down to the odd figure here and there I would like to get, aside from those I missed out on.

I need to play more Scott Pilgrim vs the World, for 10 bucks it's an excellent game. Nice beat em up.

Why did I start? I just have vague recollections of getting comics as a kid and reading them. Then at some point I stopped when they stopped carrying them in grocery stores, then as a teen tried to get into them but got tired of the loud audible sighs from cashiers from the local comic store, so I didn't get back into them till I was in college. Favorite characters as a kid were Captain Marvel, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Spider-man, Hulk, Batman, Hawkman, and Superman. Some of them I may not have actually read comics for.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Even though I haven't read Ultimate Spider-Man in years, I really doubted he'd be dead when the title of the current storyline said so. That's pretty anticlimactic. That would be like naming a Superman story "Superman Defeats Lex Luthor".

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I am only collecting two toy lines right now, DCUC and Doctor Who. Even in that I am only collecting certain figures. I basically need Doctors 1, 2, 3, and 8 and maybe some of the companions (unless the release a companion set the second seems unlikely). DCUC after this year it's going down to the odd figure here and there I would like to get, aside from those I missed out on.
    No MOTUC? Shame on you!

I'm not a big Doctor Who fan(I like what I've seen but I just haven't jumped all the way into the franchise yet), but I'd be tempted with the toys. Unfortunately, I only saw one Doctor Who toy at ToyRus(it was multiples of Doctor #6 for some reason). If I got any through a comic store or online, I'm sure it would be extremely expensive. I always kinda wished the popularity of the current era led to more US products other than just books & a new magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Favorite characters as a kid were Captain Marvel, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Spider-man, Hulk, Batman, Hawkman, and Superman. Some of them I may not have actually read comics for.
    If you are talking Shazam Captain Marvel, I would have gotten along with you as a kid. All that you're missing are Swamp Thing, Blue Devil, and Green Arrow.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Yes, Shazam Captain Marvel. Oddly most of those I listed had a cartoon, live action series or movie franchise being shown, (Batman was in reruns). Basically I remember reading comics as a kid, but that is all I recall. The first comic I actually remember getting was one I picked up on a trip to my mom's house it was Green Hulk vs. Grey Hulk. I remember from early on reading some crossover event where several superheroes were flying into a big tall enemy.

I remember reading the comic over and over in my closet, based on a recent story my shared I think I know why I was doing that. I somehow locked the keys into the car at the grocery store. Based on timing it was most likely Crisis on Infinite Earths. And honestly I could have read more, those were just the ones I remember. My mom and I both know I got comics frequently when younger but I have at best vague recollections of them and tended to read and toss. Of course I would read them many times before tossing them.

I was tempted to start MOTUC, but I have an almost complete 200x series. I am missing the figures that got the European only release and a something like three redecos. It's kind of like how I have a carded Batman and Superman for from the Batman and DC Superheroes lines respectively with my DCUC figures. The scale and articulation are a bit off but I shrug and fluff it.
    Last edited by wyldman11; April 18, 2011 at 01:45pm.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I was hoping it wasn't true since I'm not a fan of Mark Waid or the maxi-series, but it looks like the upcoming Man Of Steel movie is going to be based on Waid's Birthright...

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...an-birthright/

I'd take either John Byrne's Man Of Steel or Geoff John's recent Secret Origin. The more I hear about this movie, the more I'm not upset that it isn't going to be a part of the JLA movie.

It's now been officially announced from Warner Brothers who Joseph Gordon Levitt and Marion Cotillard will be playing in Chris Nolan‘s third Batmovie, The Dark Knight Rises.

Cotillard will appear as Miranda Tate, a Wayne Enterprises board member eager to help a still-grieving Bruce Wayne resume his father’s philanthropic endeavors for Gotham.

Gordon-Levitt will play John Blake, a Gotham City beat cop assigned to special duty under the command of Commissioner Gordon.

Not too exciting when compared to all the previous rumors.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; April 19, 2011 at 04:03pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

While I like Nolan's Batman movies (with the exception of the whole "I don't have to save you" thing in the first movie and the kind of waste of the best Batman villain in the second movie) I really thought that Joseph Gordon Levitt would have a bigger role this sounds like a bit part.

Is anybody reading the new DnD comic? As someone who just in the last couple of years started to play DnD it's kind of a cool book.
    What about IDW's G.I.Joe books?

Is anybody reading the new DnD comic? As someone who just in the last couple of years started to play DnD it's kind of a cool book.
    What about IDW's G.I.Joe books?
    I picked up the first Dungeons & Dragons book since I've always liked the idea of its world(more so than what I've seen of World Of Warcraft), but the closest I've come to roleplaying is the one time I played Magic. I never got any issues after that since I'm behind on the things I really want to read.

I've been getting IDW's Joe books since they first got the license, but I'm behind on reading them(although I'm aware of what's recently happened to Cobra). From what I've seen though, I'm not sure I really love the rebooted IDW canon(although it's not extremely bad either). I am eager to see what they do with the relaunch of their main line of books next month.

While I like Nolan's Batman movies (with the exception of the whole "I don't have to save you" thing in the first movie and the kind of waste of the best Batman villain in the second movie) I really thought that Joseph Gordon Levitt would have a bigger role this sounds like a bit part.
    I'm curious what you didn't like about the "I don't have to save you" line. I didn't love it myself, but I'm just wondering what your opinion on it is.

When you said "the best Batman villain", were you referring to The Joker or Two-Face?
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; April 20, 2011 at 03:03am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

I like this a lot. Solid art and fun storytelling. I'd say it's well worth the read, even if you're not a hardcore D&D fan.

I'm also happy they're reprinting the old DC D&D comics line in tpb form too! Go IDW!

I'm also happy they're reprinting the old DC D&D comics line in tpb form too! Go IDW!
    IDW is great when it comes to licenses. They reprint practically everything that's come before. If MOTU ever gets a new comic, I hope IDW gets it. They're probably the best chance we'll get of seeing all of the various MOTU/POP comics from around the world collected all in one place.

JOIN THE GROUP...

IDW is great when it comes to licenses. They reprint practically everything that's come before. If MOTU ever gets a new comic, I hope IDW gets it. They're probably the best chance we'll get of seeing all of the various MOTU/POP comics from around the world collected all in one place.
    Absolutely agreed. Their trades of impossible-to-find UK Doctor Who comics are brilliant, and I hope they continue! If only Mattel can broker a deal with IDW to take up the MOTU license... though I expect Mattel may rankle at using the same publishers as the Hasbro properties.

I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    I hated the retconning aspect of OMD/BND but to be honest I hated Mary Jane so anything to reduce her page time is a plus in my book.

Absolutely agreed. Their trades of impossible-to-find UK Doctor Who comics are brilliant, and I hope they continue! If only Mattel can broker a deal with IDW to take up the MOTU license... though I expect Mattel may rankle at using the same publishers as the Hasbro properties.
    I never even thought of the Hasbro relationship but I bet you're right. Well, I'd pick Dark Horse as a second choice then. They're slower at times in reprinting older comics than IDW, but I feel there is more quality to their books than Dynamite, the other comic company that took over Marvel & DC's licensing reign of the 1980's.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor's Only Fan View Post
    I hated the retconning aspect of OMD/BND but to be honest I hated Mary Jane so anything to reduce her page time is a plus in my book.
    I don't hate MJ, but I've always preferred Gwen Stacy(even though she was long dead before I was born). Even over at DC, I've always preferred Lana Lang over Lois. Either I have a thing for the underdog of romantic triangles or aggressive women intimidate me.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; April 20, 2011 at 05:40pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

I picked up the first Dungeons & Dragons book since I've always liked the idea of its world(more so than what I've seen of World Of Warcraft), but the closest I've come to roleplaying is the one time I played Magic. I never got any issues after that since I'm behind on the things I really want to read.

I've been getting IDW's Joe books since they first got the license, but I'm behind on reading them(although I'm aware of what's recently happened to Cobra). From what I've seen though, I'm not sure I really love the rebooted IDW canon(although it's not extremely bad either). I am eager to see what they do with the relaunch of their main line of books next month.

I'm curious what you didn't like about the "I don't have to save you" line. I didn't love it myself, but I'm just wondering what your opinion on it is.

When you said "the best Batman villain", were you referring to The Joker or Two-Face?
    Going backwards.
    Two-Face. He is one of top three villains of all time and I thought Aaron Eckhart was great, I just wanted more. I kept telling myself after the movie that he lived.
    As for the "I don't have to save you" thing, to me he murdered Ra's. It just doesn't sit right with me that Batman basically killed someone it goes against everything I think of when I think of Batman.

I love the IDW JOE books. Chuckles was always my number one toy as a child, I don't know why, but when Devil's Due killed him off I quit that book. GIJOE Cobra made me like Sepentor too.

Like Sandman said the DnD book is just a ton of fun. If you get a chance to catch up you should. Also SkullKickers by Image. DnD fantasy without all that pesky story stuff, lots of fun.

And the Avengers books? I read Academy, plain, and New and that's the order I'd put them in. Anyone else read them?

Mr. Shokoti, What about the Thor movie turns you off it? i think the commercials make it look really good.

Going backwards.
    Two-Face. He is one of top three villains of all time and I thought Aaron Eckhart was great, I just wanted more. I kept telling myself after the movie that he lived.
    As for the "I don't have to save you" thing, to me he murdered Ra's. It just doesn't sit right with me that Batman basically killed someone it goes against everything I think of when I think of Batman.
    I agree with everything you said. I thought I understood you, but I didn't want to agree just to have you say "that's not what I meant". Although, since Batman wasn't dropping villains off buildings or setting them on fire(I'm not a big fan of the Tim Burton Batman movies beyond Michael Keaton, their look, and Danny Elfman's score), I was able to accept Batman's treatment of Ra's as a slight improvement over the last Batman movie franchise.

Two-Face is my favorite Bat villain. Besides the fact that he has so much depth(his tragedy is that, besides being scarred, he was a good person once), I feel the Joker can be annoying & is soooo overrated(I meant the comic version but I guess I'd say the same about Ledger's Joker too).

And the Avengers books? I read Academy, plain, and New and that's the order I'd put them in. Anyone else read them?
    I know he has legions of fans and is quite popular, but I feel Bendis has ruined the Avengers. I read some of the Dan Slott Avengers before the book was cancelled(I believe it was Mighty Avengers), but I can't read Bendis anymore. I used to enjoy his work, but he's either gone down hill or my eyes were opened to his weaknesses. Besides the fact that he ignores continuity(although I know a lot of people don't care about that as long as they enjoy the storyline), I feel all his characters sound alike. If Academy is written by Christos Gage(I don't read Marvel anymore so I'm not sure if I'm up to date on my creative teams), I'm sure it's a pretty good book. He's one of the few Marvel writers I enjoy. Unfortunately, everything he writes is ensconced in the family of books or the big events that I don't like.

Mr. Shokoti, What about the Thor movie turns you off it? i think the commercials make it look really good.
    My problem with Thor is a whole bunch of little things all added together. I'll still see it and I may actually be surprised to enjoy it(that's what happened with the G.I. Joe movie and Iron Man 1 even though I was expecting to dislike them).

* In the 2 movies I've seen him in, I find the lead to be a poor actor(according to rumors, Anthony Hopkins agrees).

* I used to like her, but after the Star Wars Prequels, Black Swan(I'm one of the few who found that movie to be pretentious, obvious, and extremely overrated), & a few others, I'm not eager to see Natalie Portman in anything for awhile.

* I haven't been a fan of Thor's armored costume since it was first revealed several years ago and the movie is giving us a version of it.

* I'm not a fan of changing a character's sex or race just to be "proactive". Sometimes it works imo like Michael Clarke Duncan's Kingpin, but it usually comes off as an unnecessary & obnoxiously P.C. change.

* Based on what I heard, I don't like the plot(I won't go into details so I won't spoil it for anyone).

* Asgard doesn't fill me with any sense of wonder based on the trailers. It looks like a bland set design that could have come out of a direct-to-video movie.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but I will say the Destroyer looks great. Even though I'm not a fan of the helmet, Captain America, on the other hand, looks pretty good.

**Neal Adams With Bendis On Avengers!!!**

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=32007

This might have made me curious enough to give a Bendis Avengers book a try, but after Batman Odyssey, no thanks!
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; April 23, 2011 at 03:47pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    I started getting the regular Avengers the last few months, you can always lure me in with Infinity Gems/Gauntlet. I'm gonna start on New Avengers next. Academy I'm not so sure on.

The art could be better but the stories seem solid.

Also am I the only one who is sick and tired of Deadpool and his 75 titles, team-ups, and crossovers?

For God's sake go back into obscurity will ya?!
    Last edited by Stinkor's Only Fan; April 23, 2011 at 05:38pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor's Only Fan View Post
    Also am I the only one who is sick and tired of Deadpool and his 75 titles, team-ups, and crossovers?

For God's sake go back into obscurity will ya?!
    Even when I was reading X-Force as a kid, I was never a big Deadpool fan. He's become the next Wolverine or Batman. Unlike those other 2, he doesn't deserve his popularity/overexposure. Imho that is.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Deadpool was awesome when he was an antagonist.

Here's some off the wall Bendis dialogue!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)