Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Official" Superhero & Comic Book Thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Here's some off the wall Bendis dialogue!
    I still say if a writer is good, you should be able to read his dialogue without the assistance of pictures and be able to tell who said what. Bendis is able to write 3 distinct voices(that's being quite generous on my part) but most of the time we get dialogue that sounds like it's from a bad sitcom where all the characters sound the same.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

All Superheroes he writes sound like some variation on Spider-man. So I am sure all his villains are pretty much based off one villain.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    All Superheroes he writes sound like some variation on Spider-man. So I am sure all his villains are pretty much based off one villain.
    Spider-Man as played by Matthew Perry.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Spider-Man as played by Matthew Perry.
    And had fond memories of his Bar Mitzvah.

Yes despite liking Ultimate Spider-man that always bothered me.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

And had fond memories of his Bar Mitzvah.

Yes despite liking Ultimate Spider-man that always bothered me.
    I think it was in House Of M(I forget), but someone pointed out something hilarious to me once. Bendis had written 2 little boys(I think one was black & one was caucasian) who sounded like 2 old Jewish men. I honestly feel his books being popular is similar to the popularity of the Transformers movies or Jersey Shore. I liked him once(early Ultimate Spidey & Daredevil) but he's either gotten worse or is just writing too much(or maybe I just finally realized that the Emperor wasn't wearing any clothes).

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I still say if a writer is good, you should be able to read his dialogue without the assistance of pictures and be able to tell who said what. Bendis is able to write 3 distinct voices(that's being quite generous on my part) but most of the time we get dialogue that sounds like it's from a bad sitcom where all the characters sound the same.
    LOL! That what everyone says about his writing...

Bendis likes to repeat himself

Last edited by MegaGearMax; April 23, 2011 at 10:20pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Stop this madness, MGM! Stop it. I can't take more Bendis!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Stop this madness, MGM! Stop it. I can't take more Bendis!
    I agree. All the MYP pictures are one thing but this is just torture.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I agree. All the MYP pictures are one thing but this is just torture.
    You know, I wish these comics had insane amounts of spinning weapons in them because at least then they wouldn't talk so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    You know, I wish these comics had insane amounts of spinning weapons in them because at least then they wouldn't talk so much.
    Don't give Marvel any ideas, I don't want to open an issue to find moving parts in them. But I guess the 15.99 price should warn me something is up then.

Don't give Marvel any ideas, I don't want to open an issue to find moving parts in them. But I guess the 15.99 price should warn me something is up then.
    What I find funny is that JoeyQ always accused DC of not using their parent company, Warner Brothers, to their advantage. Now that Disney is Marvel's parent(one of the richest companies in the world), they are charging more for their comics(per page count) than any of their direct competition. Not only that, they piggybacked on DC's announcement of keeping their books at 2.99 & misled their customers at the same time. When called on it, they not only showed no remorse or embarassment, they said that DC would be raising their prices soon as a way of deflecting the bad press as well as shooting down the competition at the same time. Most big companies often dabble in unethical practices a time or 2, but Marvel is one of the few who flaunts it like a badge of honor.

A few news items that might be discussion worthy...

*** Smoking may be allowed in Marvel Comics again after JoeyQ took it out "for the kids" but still OK'd gruesome deaths(Ultimate Red Skull tossing a baby out a window, Namor ripping his wife's head off and throwing it thrown an enemy's window, and Sentry ripping Ares in half to name a few) & tons of sexual activity...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/04/22/one-more-smoke/

*** We may be getting a new Justice League International book(the first team book I ever liked as a kid and one that made me realize there was more than just Marvel Comics out there) after Justice League: Generation Lost finishes up this Wednesday. I somehow doubt Max Lord will be involved though...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/04/...stice-leagues/

*** Even though Vertigo is becoming mostly a line of creator owned books & Swamp Thing has finally returned to the DC Universe, John Constantine was the one question mark. It looks like people can have their cake and eat it too...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/04/...o-dc-universe/
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; April 25, 2011 at 06:22pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

Wolverine can join the Avengers while STILL killing people with his claws, but can't smoke. So when is Cap signing Frank Castle up? Or Elektra?

Another killing pet peeve I have is how Grag Pak neutered the Hulk. Hulk can't kill people during his infamous "Leave Hulk alone!" rampages (Ever play Hulk Ultimate Destruction?) because Banner is subconsciously using physics to make Hulk miss people when smashing so no one dies.

Wolverine can join the Avengers while STILL killing people with his claws, but can't smoke. So when is Cap signing Frank Castle up? Or Elektra?
    I'm with you on this one. JoeyQ is a total hypocrite. He let his personal feelings influence him to instate a form of censorship. I've never smoked in my life, so I couldn't care less, but don't lie & say you are doing it for the kids. Not only are Marvel comics(as well as DC's) currently full of more violence & sexuality than even the crazy 70's(although practically all of those mature books weren't in mainstream comics but in black & white magazines and non-code approved comics), JoeyQ has also been quoted as saying kids don't buy comics anymore. Thank God his dad wasn't killed by a gun(good bye Punisher) or a burglar with blonde hair(so long Stever Rogers, Clint Barton, Hank Pym, etc).

Another killing pet peeve I have is how Grag Pak neutered the Hulk. Hulk can't kill people during his infamous "Leave Hulk alone!" rampages (Ever play Hulk Ultimate Destruction?) because Banner is subconsciously using physics to make Hulk miss people when smashing so no one dies.
    I'm not with you on this one. I may not have been a fan of Pak's Planet Hulk storyline(not only does the idea of the Hulk in gladiator gear sicken me, I hate stories that keep heroes on other worlds for long periods of time), but I'm with him on keeping the Hulk's kill count at 0(Bendis & JMS agree with you though). The Hulk was almost always portrayed as a destructive baby and not a dangerous bipolar killer like a werewolf or Mr. Hyde. Is it realistic that not one person was killed in one of his rampages? No. It also isn't realistic that a nuclear explosion gave him super powers. By the way, if we're going to cite a ton of deaths due to the Hulk's rampages, then we're also going to have to cite them for everytime The Avengers, Fantastic Four, or The X-Men went after a villain anywhere near the public. Another reason why the set up for Civil War made no sense to me based on past heroes vs villains battles.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I'm not with you on this one. I may not have been a fan of Pak's Planet Hulk storyline(not only does the idea of the Hulk in gladiator gear sicken me, I hate stories that keep heroes on other worlds for long periods of time), but I'm with him on keeping the Hulk's kill count at 0(Bendis & JMS agree with you though). The Hulk was almost always portrayed as a destructive baby and not a dangerous bipolar killer like a werewolf or Mr. Hyde. Is it realistic that not one person was killed in one of his rampages? No. It also isn't realistic that a nuclear explosion gave him super powers. By the way, if we're going to cite a ton of deaths due to the Hulk's rampages, then we're also going to have to cite them for everytime The Avengers, Fantastic Four, or The X-Men went after a villain anywhere near the public. Another reason why the set up for Civil War made no sense to me based on past heroes vs villains battles.
    I don't think the Hulk should ever be a wanton killer, but I do think there should be a very real fear of getting killed by being in the wrong place, at the wrong time during one of his rampages, which would be caused by some idiot who angered him.

I don't think the Hulk should ever be a wanton killer, but I do think there should be a very real fear of getting killed by being in the wrong place, at the wrong time during one of his rampages, which would be caused by some idiot who angered him.
    I agree, but I still don't want any deaths attributed to him. That would totally alter the character forever imo. I also don't feel Bruce Banner would want to keep on going knowing he caused someone else to die. Again, I don't think it's realistic that a person was never killed during a Hulk rampage, but that's what makes Pak's retcon so cool imo. He explains why the Hulk should still be considered a hero(although that doesn't really matter in today's Marvel U when heroes like Hawkeye are hunting down villains & ex-teammates for the sole purpose of killing them) all the while using Bruce Banner's genius mind.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; April 26, 2011 at 05:05am.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    Gee when did JoeyQ's smoking ban start?
    I seem to recall in BND the panel where The Freak was doing a pretty good job hitting the crack pipe for every little set of eyes to see.

Apparently cigars are out but hard narcotics are a-ok.
    Quesada you are a fat load of useless. Even manure serves a purpose, which puts it 12 notches over you.

I agree, but I still don't want any deaths attributed to him. That would totally alter the character forever imo. I also don't feel Bruce Banner would want to keep on going knowing he caused someone else to die. Again, I don't think it's realistic that a person was never killed during a Hulk rampage, but that's what makes Pak's retcon so cool imo. He explains why the Hulk should still be considered a hero(although that doesn't really matter in today's Marvel U when heroes like Hawkeye are hunting down villains & ex-teammates for the sole purpose of killing them) all the while using Bruce Banner's genius mind.
    What I'm saying is that I hate the whole Greg Pak "Banner uses physics to make the Hulk miss killing people" angle. I felt that was a really bad over-explanation of Banner's subconscious mind keeps the Hulk more stable, as opposed to the mindless Hulk John Byrne Era where Banner was physically separated from the Hulk (Hulk #316 is my favorite issue ever).

The Hulk smashing the city around a person or throwing a bus at you that was supposed to not hit you seemed to take some of the menance of angering him away. Which is what I like about the Hulk--the threat of being smashed, not the actual execution of it.

I think we might be saying different things, but agree for the most part.

What I'm saying is that I hate the whole Greg Pak "Banner uses physics to make the Hulk miss killing people" angle. I felt that was a really bad over-explanation of Banner's subconscious mind keeps the Hulk more stable, as opposed to the mindless Hulk John Byrne Era where Banner was physically separated from the Hulk (Hulk #316 is my favorite issue ever).
    While I grew up with the Hulk TV shows(Bill Bixby's & the Saturday Morning cartoon), I didn't start buying his comics until I saw this one at a 7-11...

I fell in love with the idea of 2 Hulks and tracked down the beginning of the Grey Hulk saga at my local comic store. I got a couple of the issues before it(the end of Byrne's run) and, even though I loved Byrne's art(as well as his She-Hulk & Alpha Flight), didn't get anymore of his run. Having said that, I wasn't even a fan of writers implying that Joe Fixit(I always preferred the Grey Hulk before his move to Vegas) crippled & possibly murdered people for the mob.

Which is what I like about the Hulk--the threat of being smashed, not the actual execution of it.
    Look at you, ya adrenaline junky you! Next you're going to tell me you can only have fun if you're jumping out of planes or playing chicken with oncoming traffic.

I think we might be saying different things, but agree for the most part.
    OK!

A new Green Lantern TV spot with a little bit of new stuff in it...

I really wish what we're seeing now is what was first shown for this movie. I don't think it would have as much of a bad buzz going for it then. I also want to know why Thor & Fast & The Furious 5 is getting the IMAX treatment but not this.

More good news for the FX of the upcoming Green Lantern movie...

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...-effects-push/
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; April 26, 2011 at 07:23pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

can anyone recommend a comic book series with a definite end? i stopped getting comics a couple years ago and it feels like pretty much anything dc/marvel has been reconned to death. aside from a trade here and there, i don't see myself buying any of their stuff any time soon. i have all of bone and i love it. one of the last things i bought was a mouseguard trade, and i liked that a lot too. i borrowed scott pilgrim from a friend and enjoyed it. i'm up for any genre. comedy, drama, horror, fantasy, superheroes, whatever.

I think it's the same people who do Mouse Guard have also put out a Fraggle Rock comic. There are two volumes with three issues each, overall it's an anthology series with each issue having 3-4 stories in it. I have seen a hardback trade, not sure if it includes both volumes.

Boom Studios has been putting out Disney's stuff (before the Marvel buyout). Their ongoing titles have gotten a lot of good reviews, but their Muppets line has several mini series based on things like Robin Hood, Peter Pan and others which are each four issue minis. I am not sure if any of those have been collected in trade format yet.

Darkhorse's Star Wars Legacy and Knights of the Old Republic are for the most part good. They were intended to be maxi three year long series, but at some point they kind of forgot that for a bit so started writing towards ongoing but then they realized they said the were only going to be a three year long story so wrapped them up.

The only other thing I can think of I have read recently with a 'definite' ending is Buffy season 8. It started out fine, but the characterizations and story went some place funny but ended (with the final issue) on a good note. But not sure I can exactly recommend it.

Oh almost forgot Red Sonja by Dynamite. The main title kind of is like the Buffy title, Queen Sonja might be a bit better. But the minis are more classic Robert E. Howard self contained stories, and I would recommend checking most of them out.
    Last edited by wyldman11; April 27, 2011 at 11:51am.

Bryan Hitch draws Spider-Woman nekkid in Avengers 12.1. Unfortunately, there's lots of REALLY intelligent guys speaking in Bendis speech and repeating themselves.

Bryan Hitch draws Spider-Woman nekkid in Avengers 12.1. Unfortunately, there's lots of REALLY intelligent guys speaking in Bendis speech and repeating themselves.
    I'm not one to scream sexism, but I know people have said this about Bendis in the past. Unless there's a legitimate reason for why she's nude, Bendis has issues with women. At least she isn't smoking though.

This actually reminds me of DC Comics' The Spectre #9 from 1987. Even though I loved it as an 11 year old in a pre-internet porn era, someone at DC decided to have Madame Xanadu spend the entire issue nude(without even any strategically placed objects to block the view of this impressionable youth) even though the book wasn't labeled as "Suggested For Mature Readers" like Swamp Thing was at the time.

JOIN THE GROUP...

thanks for the suggestions, wyldman.

i noticed that spectre comic doesn't have the CCA logo on it. not that i've heard of it stopping anyone from buying a book.

I'm not one to scream sexism, but I know people have said this about Bendis in the past. Unless there's a legitimate reason for why she's nude, Bendis has issues with women. At least she isn't smoking though.
    He likes to strip captured heroes naked. He's done this before in the opening arc of New Avengers where he stripped the whole team naked and he did it to Hawkeye during "The List" storyline

However, you do have a point about some characters. An obvious example is how Tigra is beaten by the Hood or was shacking up with Pym. Wasp is another example. And what's up with the whole Ms. Marvel is fat stuff from Mighty Avengers?

Fraction's Thor#1 has Asgardians in medieval SPACE SUITS! I thought Copiel's artwork (which is why I brought it) would save it, but Fraction's wacky ideas counteract this.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
    i noticed that spectre comic doesn't have the CCA logo on it. not that i've heard of it stopping anyone from buying a book.
    True, but DC has always labeled books "Suggested For Mature Readers" when there was cursing or nudity in them. I already remembered this book from my youth, but it made news last year when a parent found it in their child's possession. I'd link to the article on BleedingCool but it features nudity.

However, you do have a point about some characters. An obvious example is how Tigra is beaten by the Hood or was shacking up with Pym. Wasp is another example. And what's up with the whole Ms. Marvel is fat stuff from Mighty Avengers?
    I was going to list that Tigra bit too(as well as Bendis making Wasp an even bigger bed hopper) but I didn't want to keep ragging on Marvel in this thread(I've done a bad job of that so far). I don't know what the Ms. Marvel fat bit is either. I guess I could understand if she was drawn by Frank Cho. I personally love his "women" but by Hollywood/Howard Stern's standards, they are no better than Gilbert Grape's mom.

Fraction's Thor#1 has Asgardians in medieval SPACE SUITS! I thought Copiel's artwork (which is why I brought it) would save it, but Fraction's wacky ideas counteract this.
    I've never liked Fraction based on the little work of his that I've read(Casanova, Iron Man, & Fear Itself #1), but what's with his characterization of Odin? I'm guessing it's made to fit with the new movie's version(based on the trailers, Hopkin's Odin doesn't seem to be the one I remember reading), but Fraction has turned him into Norman Osborn.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; April 28, 2011 at 12:20pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...