Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Official" Superhero & Comic Book Thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post

I actually think the entire industry would be better off without Completists... basically, they ADD NOTHING. They're just aggravating some of the problems the industry has, by buying everything out of habit.
    Hear! Hear! The "Big 2" would almost definitely have lower sales overall(especially Marvel) without the completists, but it would also be easier to pick out the quality books. Unfortunately, it might cripple the industry even more. The only thing that comics have over the rest of the dying print media is collectibility. I've always been a reader who rarely cared about bagging them, but those type of people throw a lot of money into the industry.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I don't begrudge people their OCD collector habits.
    I tend to stick with series that I've followed for a long time even if they start to suck.
    Eventually, though... if things don't turn around you've gotta cut 'em loose.

What I don't care for are all the event tie in mini series.
    I don't know how anyone thinks those are a good idea.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Batgirl #2 cover by Adam Hughes

Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; July 7, 2011 at 07:27pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

Villainous Marauder Monkeyboy Prime's Avatar
    Really like that Batgirl cover. Still hate the fact that Barbara is going to magically start walking again.

Oh and the second surprise in the Flashpoint Batman book? Kinda lame in my opinion.
    When will we get our Songster figure Mattel???

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy Prime View Post
    Oh and the second surprise in the Flashpoint Batman book? Kinda lame in my opinion.
    I agree. The first one reeled me in but this one just left me thinking "really?" I guess all of the Waynes are a bunch of nutjobs who can't cope with any problems in life. Not the stuff heroes are made of imo.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    What I don't care for are all the event tie in mini series.
    I don't know how anyone thinks those are a good idea.
    I have some of the Marvel tie-in's from Avengers: dissasembled, Civil War, House of M and Secret Invasion. I do like the idea - when done well they can give a lot to the event at hand or give more of a feeling of how it touches everyone in the Marvel-universe. Some of the tie-ins have also been really good in my eyes (Ms. Marvel Civil War, Thor: Secret Invasion), but the average/poor - tie-ins are definately much more numerous than the occasional pearls.

But unfortunately based on their general quality it feels like most of the people working on those tie-ins don't see any point in doing them. And in some cases they just slap the title of what ever event there is on the cover and call it a tie-in, even when the story has very little to do with the actual event.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    But unfortunately based on their general quality it feels like most of the people working on those tie-ins don't see any point in doing them. And in some cases they just slap the title of what ever event there is on the cover and call it a tie-in, even when the story has very little to do with the actual event.
    Yeah, that's generally the problem with them.
    That and the number of them seems to increase with each "event".

It's as though the people in charge don't get that events work when they are actually events.
    If you have one every four-six months, it isn't an event.
    It's business as usual.

Yeah, that's generally the problem with them.
    That and the number of them seems to increase with each "event".

It's as though the people in charge don't get that events work when they are actually events.
    If you have one every four-six months, it isn't an event.
    It's business as usual.
    I think most fans feel the same way, which unfortunately is why no one is reading Flashpoint and its tie-ins, even though these books set the stage for the DCnU. Johns and the other powers that be keep urging fans to pick these books up, but fans appear to just be fed up and unconcerned. Flashpoint just didn't look interesting from the start. I read the first issue and it was a solid C, if not C-.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    I think most fans feel the same way, which unfortunately is why no one is reading Flashpoint and its tie-ins, even though these books set the stage for the DCnU. Johns and the other powers that be keep urging fans to pick these books up, but fans appear to just be fed up and unconcerned. Flashpoint just didn't look interesting from the start. I read the first issue and it was a solid C, if not C-.
    I have no idea what the sales are on Flashpoint, but if it is less than great, it probably has a lot to do with the fact that (1) it's a glorified Elseworlds story(a lot of people don't care about Elseworlds & What Ifs since they feel they "don't count") and (2) a lot of people feel nothing DC is selling right now is worthwhile since it's all going to be rebooted in less than 2 months.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I have no idea what the sales are on Flashpoint, but if it is less than great, it probably has a lot to do with the fact that (1) it's a glorified Elseworlds story(a lot of people don't care about Elseworlds & What Ifs since they feel they "don't count") and (2) a lot of people feel nothing DC is selling right now is worthwhile since it's all going to be rebooted in less than 2 months.
    Both of those are probably big factors at this point.
    And I really don't know what the numbers look like so far for Flashpoint....

But I think the sheer number of issues involved is a bigger one.
    I know, I know... you don't need to read all of them.
    But that sort of thing is a real turn off to a lot of people.

Added to that, I think there is a sense of "event fatigue" with a lot of readers.
    I know the big two claim the sale don't support that, but I really think it's there.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I am very glad that Barbara Gordon is coming back to the cowl as I've always loved that character. Her role in Nightwing: Year One was fantastic. Plus all the DC merchandise has been selling Babs Batgirl for years. Time for some consistency in branding DC!

Unfortunately I am also a HUGE Stephanie Brown fan and think her latest series as Bagirl has been phenomenol. It's sad that there's been no announcement to what she'll be up to. She did a great job playing up the fun but tough aspect that Batgirl needs.

Quote Originally Posted by hopewell View Post
    I am very glad that Barbara Gordon is coming back to the cowl as I've always loved that character. Her role in Nightwing: Year One was fantastic. Plus all the DC merchandise has been selling Babs Batgirl for years. Time for some consistency in branding DC!

Unfortunately I am also a HUGE Stephanie Brown fan and think her latest series as Bagirl has been phenomenol. It's sad that there's been no announcement to what she'll be up to. She did a great job playing up the fun but tough aspect that Batgirl needs.
    I agree with everything you just said, but would add that the "consistency in branding DC" is going to be off again since practically every character has a new costume in the upcoming reboot. Babs & Aquaman might be the only ones who still wear their classic costumes.

"The Worthy" have already been revealed for Marvel's Fear Itself event mini-series...

...but what are your guesses for "The Mighty"...

I think most of them are obvious, but there are a couple I'm unsure of.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; July 11, 2011 at 10:19pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

I'll go with:

Ms Marvel, Iron Fist, Dr Strange, Iron Man, She-Hulk, Wolverine, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Spider-Man

I think the only 2 in question are the 2 women between Iron Man and Hawkeye.

The big one could be Valkyrie, but she seems too large and I'd think they'd keep her twin braids for the silhouette. I guess it could be Red She Hulk.

The smaller one could be Spider-Woman, but she's missing the "armpit webs". Actually Invisible Woman makes a lot of sense since The Thing is one "The Worthy".
    Last edited by BCI Guy; July 10, 2011 at 04:40am.

Quote Originally Posted by hopewell View Post

I like Babs as Batgirl but I LOVE her as Oracle. I think that the event that led to her crippling and the way she dealt with it did more to develop her character than any event before. She is more than a female version of Batman as Oracle but as Batgirl she will always be in his shadow.

Monkeyboy Prime, I would be happy with Barbara staying as Oracle. I'd be ecstatic if Stephanie Brown stayed Batgirl. Both roles have caused these characters to really grow. Unfortunately comics are about fake change and progression with inevitable reboots to the original status quo. There have been so many Batgirl Babs toys and assorted merchandise made in the past few years ignoring Oracle (Have you seen an Oracle t-shirt or coffee mug at your local store?) that I'm just glad the brand is being consistant now. However, if it were up to me, I'd keep things the way they are.

As for Babs being under the shadow of Batman, I like the "Batman family" which mean they are all under his shadow. Yes, Oracle had Birds of Prey and served the JLA but all of the Batman family is under the shadow of Bruce. Nightwing, Damian, Barbara, they are the supporting cast by default. Plus there will probably always be a new Oracle now in the DCU and that's a lasting contribution by Barbara.

Personally, I'd keep Stephanie as Batgirl and Barbara as Batwoman but the DCU is getting de-aged anyways so I guess it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I certainly feel the same way. I felt like the "altered reality" thing has been done repeatedly at Marvel, with Age of Apocalypse and House of M. Just looking at Flashpoint, I felt it was a warmed over version of those events. I read the first issue and it was just Meh. And I also agree that with the reboot coming, nothing out now matters. (And most of it wasn't good to begin with!)

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    The shorts are back!

Wait...

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I'm intrigued by the end of the War Of The Green Lanterns, but it doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do right after the Green Lantern movie or when you're trying to get new readers with the upcoming reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The shorts are back!
    I love the art of Cliff Chiang, but, based on that cover, he's not good at drawing Wonder Woman's new costume. When you add in that Brian Azzarello, imho, stinks when it comes to writing superheroes, I think I'm skipping Wonder Woman #1.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; July 14, 2011 at 02:10pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

I agree Shokoti, while it makes sense in the world of Green Lantern, in the real world how many people are going to pick up GL #1 expecting a Ryan Reynolds type Green Lantern who will then be surprised to see Sinestro...then again, those who didn't stay after credits will be expecting "Good Guy" Sinestro so who know?

From a story perspective though, it seems Hal is more concerned about the loss of power than the loss of corp membership. He doesn't follow the rules, he resents the guardians, he rarely patrols his sector, he keeps them out of the loop during catastrophic situations, he leaves his ring at home while he works full time for the military as a pilot. Exactly how choked up should he be that he no longer has to fly to Oa and deal with all the corp red tape? I'd like to see him pretty happy to be a hero in his own right. But without the ring he's not a "heavy hitter" anymore so not sure he'll like that.

Best Picture in the History of the World. Where can I get a t-shirt of this?

Marvel's back to their usual crap again...

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-retailers.php

...This is why, even if it is absolute garbage, I hope DC's reboot is a huge hit & hurts Marvel's sales.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Those promotions are funny to me.
    I see what they are doing... and it is a little bit underhanded, I guess.

But the truth is, if the retailers could sell those DC books, there's no way they'd take part in this promo.
    And most of those books had order limits to get the Flashpoint buttons, right?
    Last time they did this it was with the tie-in books that came with GL rings, so I assume this is the same idea.

So there probably are a bunch of retailers who already gave DC their money, and already got money from the pins/buttons, that do have extra copies of tie-in books that no one wants. So why not trade them for something else they might be able to sell? It isn't hurting DC... they made their money. And if keeping those books on the shelves is vital to DC publishing plan, well, it already failed since clearly they aren't moving.

That said, that is an ugly-ass cover. I loves me some Ed McGuinness.
    One of my favorite artist working today... but that is straight ugly.

Those promotions are funny to me.
    I see what they are doing... and it is a little bit underhanded, I guess.

But the truth is, if the retailers could sell those DC books, there's no way they'd take part in this promo.
    And most of those books had order limits to get the Flashpoint buttons, right?
    Last time they did this it was with the tie-in books that came with GL rings, so I assume this is the same idea.

So there probably are a bunch of retailers who already gave DC their money, and already got money from the pins/buttons, that do have extra copies of tie-in books that no one wants. So why not trade them for something else they might be able to sell? It isn't hurting DC... they made their money. And if keeping those books on the shelves is vital to DC publishing plan, well, it already failed since clearly they aren't moving.

That said, that is an ugly-ass cover. I loves me some Ed McGuinness.
    One of my favorite artist working today... but that is straight ugly.
    I'm not sure about Flashpoint, but with the GL rings, the store got as many rings as they did issues of the related comics. Unless a store was unable to get rid of their rings, they shouldn't have had any issues left. Unfortunately, some stores marked up the price on the rings & sold them separately. That would be the store's problem and not DC's.

Even if this was something DC did, I wouldn't like it. Imo, it isn't playful or fun. It's mean spirited and borderline unethical. If it was just new storylines or updated character costumes that I didn't like at Marvel, that's one thing. It's this constant unprofessionalism(towards DC as well as retailers & fans) at Marvel that led me to make the decision that I'd never go back to them until JoeyQ & his inner circle were completely gone.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I thought the GL rings were meant to be free with purchase of comic. Some stores decided to just sale them separately (which is self sabotage, people love free stuff). I know my store when I found after said they just handed them out to people (of course it's a Hastings so that's forgiveable).

I call it self sabotage, because the point was to get people to buy the comics by giving them something free. I see people actually looking at comics on free comic book day here, and while most walk away with just free stuff there are those who purchase items.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it