Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Official" Superhero & Comic Book Thread!!!

Has anyone picked up Comic Heroes? It's a magazine about comics from the UK(although it's available at Barnes & Noble and some comic stores as well as covering mostly American books). The price is steep(it costs $18), but it's full color, reminiscent of Wizard in its prime, and comes with a bunch of freebies every issue(the latest one came with a Superman patch & the issue before it came with a plastic Green Lantern ring).

http://www.comicheroesmagazine.com/
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I also felt it was odd that "muties" were hated by the general public, but the Avengers were loved. Some of the Avengers were not only mutants(Beast, Scarlet Witch), but they were also just as weird looking as the X-Men(Tigra, Vision)
    Totally there with ya. This has ALWAYS been weird to me.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Does anyone here currently buy any G.I. Joe comics from IDW? I'm trying to cut down on the number of books I buy and I'm a tad behind on the Joe books. Honestly, I'm not a fan of their making Cobra Commander a title and not an actual person. It really weakens a "classic" villain. Have the books been worth keeping since the Cobra Civil War relaunch started?

JOIN THE GROUP...

Villainous Marauder Monkeyboy Prime's Avatar
    Does anyone here currently buy any G.I. Joe comics from IDW? I'm trying to cut down on the number of books I buy and I'm a tad behind on the Joe books. Honestly, I'm not a fan of their making Cobra Commander a title and not an actual person. It really weakens a "classic" villain. Have the books been worth keeping since the Cobra Civil War relaunch started?
    I love the G.I.Joe books. I get all of them, but the civil war thing is kinda dragging on. I still like it but I wish it would come to some kind of conclusion soon. Plus the way that they are all interconnected it might be hard to follow one without the others. Of course the Real American Hero book is independent of the other IDW books but it does follow the old Marvel run so you need a passing knowledge of those books. I do wonder why you think it weakens Cobra Commander to make it a title? I really like that, plus it is any easy re-write if they want to.
    When will we get our Songster figure Mattel???

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy Prime View Post
    I do wonder why you think it weakens Cobra Commander to make it a title? I really like that, plus it is any easy re-write if they want to.
    If the Star Wars Prequels said that Darth Vader was several different guys rather than one man, wouldn't it be disappointing? I don't know if this was Hasbro's idea or the creators at IDW, but it makes CC a glorified Cobra trooper.

As much as Mattel's heavy handedness with their characters/franchises can get frustrating, Hasbro seems to go for the opposite extreme & doesn't respect their characters enough imho.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    I can easily except the idea of CC being title only. After all Destro was not one man but a family legacy and while I'm not sure on this one, wasn't Billy (was that the name?) In Marvels Joe series the Commander for a while?

Also it would vary by circumstances, sometimes only one can be and sometimes not. It's pretty much that simple.

To me it sounds like an idea you are either going to think is good to great, or hate.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor's Only Fan View Post
    I can easily except the idea of CC being title only. After all Destro was not one man but a family legacy and while I'm not sure on this one, wasn't Billy (was that the name?) In Marvels Joe series the Commander for a while?

Also it would vary by circumstances, sometimes only one can be and sometimes not. It's pretty much that simple.
    The Destro we know has always been one guy. Also, the few times someone else was CC in Marvel's book, it was temporary & a part of a storyline. We didn't even get a feel for this rebooted CC before he's killed off. A franchise, imo, is made by its villain. Now that CC is just "guy #2", he's a red shirt* & not someone who can evolve as a character.

*I'm soooo not a Star Trek fan. I can't believe I just made a "red shirt" reference.

JOIN THE GROUP...

The Destro we know has always been one guy. Also, the few times someone else was CC in Marvel's book, it was temporary & a part of a storyline. We didn't even get a feel for this rebooted CC before he's killed off. A franchise, imo, is made by its villain. Now that CC is just "guy #2", he's a red shirt* & not someone who can evolve as a character.

*I'm soooo not a Star Trek fan. I can't believe I just made a "red shirt" reference.
    I get that, it's fair to say that we never got to know the IDW CC. But i don't think it diminishes the role of Cobra Commander, if anything it elevates the role in my eyes. Now instead of a angry used car salesman, the role of Cobra Commander is the most evil, manipulative, and dangerous person in the entire Cobra organisation. My biggest complaint with IDW is what they did with Tomax and Xamot. It's weird and I hope they explore more of what happens soon.

I get that, it's fair to say that we never got to know the IDW CC. But i don't think it diminishes the role of Cobra Commander, if anything it elevates the role in my eyes. Now instead of a angry used car salesman, the role of Cobra Commander is the most evil, manipulative, and dangerous person in the entire Cobra organisation. My biggest complaint with IDW is what they did with Tomax and Xamot. It's weird and I hope they explore more of what happens soon.
    I know it's not popular to say, but that's why I liked the CC in the G.I. Joe live action movie. He wasn't a snake-man or a used car salesman with a chip on his shoulder. He was a manipulative genius who was unpredictable & insane.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I know it's not popular to say, but that's why I liked the CC in the G.I. Joe live action movie. He wasn't a snake-man or a used car salesman with a chip on his shoulder. He was a manipulative genius who was unpredictable & insane.
    If only his costume didn't look so terrible and he wasn't related to the Baroness then I would probably agree. Oh and it looks like the Cobra Civil War will end in December, so if you have been collecting them I would stay on till then, at least to see if that is more to your liking.

Well, Archie is bringing back their superheroes, but they're only going to be available, at least initially, online through a subscription service...

I like the art, but the designs look a little bland.

JOIN THE GROUP...

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...-marked-boxes/

From the article:

"A marketing mainstay of bygone days, prizes inside boxes of cereal, is alive and well, with brands like the Big G line of cereals from General Mills offering various free trinkets and tchotchkes from time to time.
    The Big G line of cereals from General Mills will offer custom editions of DC Comics’s Justice League comic books.The Big G line of cereals from General Mills will offer custom editions of DC Comics’s Justice League comic books.

Now, Big G is upping the ante with a partnership with the DC Comics division of Time Warner. Big G is offering custom editions of DC’s Justice League comic books inside, as they like to say, “specially-marked boxes” of cereals that include Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Golden Grahams, Honey Nut Cheerios, Lucky Charms and Trix.

DC is printing 12 million copies of the comic books. There are four books in the free-with-purchase cereal series, bearing titles like “Unstoppable Forces” and “Breakout!”

These stories will apparently tie into a macro-comic online.

-----
    I have gotten 3/4 of them, two doubles and a lot of Trix to eat (one box a week) since it's the only cereal with the comics here.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I have gotten 3/4 of them, two doubles and a lot of Trix to eat (one box a week) since it's the only cereal with the comics here.
    I bought the 3 Monster Cereals last year around Halloween(I was surprised to find out they weren't available throughout the year any longer), but haven't really bought cereal on a regular basis since I was a teen. I might try to get these. I think Honey Nut Cheerios & Lucky Charms are the only 2 I'd be willing to buy though.

How are the comics? Are they reprints or just little things for young kids?

JOIN THE GROUP...

I got the 4th first and wasn't sure if it was part of a series. Just read the first one.

So just now I read the 1 of 4 ,and the art is acceptable. The storytelling isn't bad, it does treat the reader as young or as a new comer with lines like Superman saying "..Maybe my heat vision can give this monster pause until.." So some bits of goofy dialogue the story wasn't bad really.

Twenty-two mini pages equals to about a 10 page full sized comic, but it's a complete story and does lead you online to a follow up. Found here http://www.biggcerealheroes.com/ . Which is basically the end cap to the story.

Not sure I would actually pay for them, but I eat cereal for breakfast anyways so.

It's funny that they went "old school" with the costumes.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I have a feeling they were made before the decision to reboot went active. But I agree

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    They have more pages than a REAL comic book.

I eat Lucky Charms and I have one so far. It features the Shaggy Man.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

That was the one I read, I now have an opened copy of all four. Thanks to Wal-mart finally getting boxes of Honey Nut Cheerios with the comics. Not sure what this means but twice the Trix with comics were almost completely sold out, this time there weren't any. I might keep getting the Cheerios, keep one bagged copy of each and then like throw in extra copies out for Halloween.

Finally Sweden has a superhero...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/11/...rst-superhero/

JOIN THE GROUP...

Just had to share! This is one of my favorite articles I've written, My Top 10 Favorite Marvel Heroes. Feel free to disagree, because EVERYONE will!
    http://sciencefiction.com/2011/11/29...l-superheroes/

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    Just had to share! This is one of my favorite articles I've written, My Top 10 Favorite Marvel Heroes. Feel free to disagree, because EVERYONE will!
    Sweet! I love lists! I like every character you mentioned except for Spider-Woman and Storm.

If I was going to make a Top 10 list for Marvel, it would be...

1) Incredible Hulk
    2) Spider-Man
    3) Thing
    4) Captain America
    5) Wolverine
    6) Kitty Pride
    7) Howard The Duck
    8) She-Hulk
    9) Hawkeye
    10) Namor

...and to play fair, for DC it would be...

1) Superman
    2) Swamp Thing
    3) Blue Devil
    4) Green Arrow
    5) Green Lantern(tie between Hal & Guy)
    6) Captain Marvel
    7) Aquaman
    8) Booster Gold
    9) Richard Grayson
    10) Catwoman
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; November 30, 2011 at 03:21am.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    Love the list! Dazzler and MoonDragon are two great choices. Let's see my 10 favorites are in no real order (because it changes on who is doing the book and the mood I'm in.).

Nightcrawler- great design and wonderfully character at least as he was originally conceived. Some one who looks like a demon but that doesn't get him down, a fun swashbuckling ladies' man. Not a big fan of him becoming so religious later on.

Spider-Man- The real every man hero. Ditko's design is just one of my all time favorites.

Sliver Surfer- Mainly because my dad liked him so much. Love the idea of someone who is more powerful, yet retains his humanity.

Howard the Duck- While I love the terrible movie, if you have never read Steve Gerber's original run please do. Really fun book.

Jamie Maddox (The Multiple Man)- Peter David is someone who can take a bunch of D-listers and make them some of my favorites. All the way back to X-Factor in the 90's David has made Jamie one of the most complex characters at Marvel.

Deadpool- a Looney Toons take on the Marvel universe? Yes please! I love the fact that a good writer can tell some real downers with the character, a lot more versatile than a lot of people seem to think.

Blade- All the reasons to love Luke Cage plus he fights vampires!

Black Panther- a bad ass KING OF HIS OWN COUNTRY. One of the smartest people on the plant. Able to hold his own with Dr. Doom, Modok, even the Hulk. Don't really like the direction at his book has taken but David Liss writes him well.

Rocket Raccoon- I thought he was kinda silly when I first heard about him but once I read the Guardians of the Galaxy that changed. Then I went back and read the Bill Mantlo 4 issue mini just great.

Cloak and Dagger- Kinda cheating but one without the other it crazy talk. Another Bill Mantlo creation there is something wonderfully 80's about these two. The newest mini was kinda cool and the ending was a cool idea that needs to be explored as soon as possible.

I like the article! Very fun read and good character selection.

My Top 10 would be:
    1) Wanda Maximoff (and Pietro)
    2) Prince Namor
    3) Carol Danvers (Ms. Marvel)
    4) Clint Barton (as HawkEye)
    5) Emma Frost and Scott Summers (as a couple)
    6) Pjotr Rasputin & Kitty Pride (I like couples)
    7) Eric Lehnsherr (Magneto)
    8) Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman)
    9) Felicia Hardy (Black Cat)
    10) Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer)
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Dazzler and MoonDragon are two great choices. Let's see my 10 favorites are in no real order (because it changes on who is doing the book and the mood I'm in.).

Nightcrawler- great design and wonderfully character at least as he was originally conceived. Some one who looks like a demon but that doesn't get him down, a fun swashbuckling ladies' man. Not a big fan of him becoming so religious later on.
    I wanted to find space for Beast on my list, but, since I automatically think of Dazzler(I loved The Beauty And The Beast mini he had with Dazzler when I was a kid) and Nightcrawler(his fellow blue furred mutant) when I hear his name, I would have needed 3 spots. If I did a top 20, those 3 would have definitely been on it. Even though I was a baby during the tailend of the 70's, I love Dazzler's whole disco motif too.

Howard the Duck- While I love the terrible movie, if you have never read Steve Gerber's original run please do. Really fun book.
    I totally agree. I came upon the comics before the movie. I liked it just because it was a funny animal, but it was really intelligent if you got past its surface. Even the more "mature" & nudity filled Howard b&w magazines didn't reach that level of intelligence without Gerber on them. I also liked the movie too even though it was a mess(it didn't know if it was for adults or families).

Rocket Raccoon- I thought he was kinda silly when I first heard about him but once I read the Guardians of the Galaxy that changed. Then I went back and read the Bill Mantlo 4 issue mini just great.
    I love his 4 issue mini-series from Mike Mignola.

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    I like the article! Very fun read and good character selection.
    I should have said that too in my last post Wonderboy.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; November 30, 2011 at 05:05pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...