Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Official" Superhero & Comic Book Thread!!!

Thanks for the feedback! I for sure thought people would be up in arms over my choices, so glad to see everyone could appreciate at least a few of my selections! I like the big guys as well! It's hard not to love Spider-Man and Captain America is perhaps my #1 super hero crush, but still...

Howard the Duck is one of those characters that was honestly before my time, but that I read so much about. Has his book been collected? I'm interested in learning more!

Monkeyboy Prime, my best friend Cathy is blonde and she and her co-worker Ron, who is black, keep contemplating dressing as Cloak & Dagger. Cathy likes comics, but she's not so much into mainstream stuff. She became intrigued with Cloak & Dagger though 'Runaways.' Her Top Marvel List would be Luke Cage, Cloak and Dagger. The End! Oh actually, #1 would be Gert from Runaways, then the other three.

Wonderboy - there is atleast a b&w Marvel Essential collection of the Howard the Duck vol.1. Also the newer volumes have been collected in TPBs. I only have the Essemtial collection and the Vol.2 (MAX-volume written by Gerber). The original run is really good, and I also liked the vol.2, though it isn't as mind blowing as the original run, in my opinion. But I felt it to be a good humorous summary of 90s comic-scene (there are references to Preacher, Sandman, Constantine, Witchblade etc.).
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

The original Howard The Duck series(issues #1-33 and the annual along with his first appearance in Man-Thing) was collected in an omnibus a few years ago. It was around $100 and might be out of print though.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Villainous Marauder Monkeyboy Prime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    The original Howard The Duck series(issues #1-33 and the annual along with his first appearance in Man-Thing) was collected in an omnibus a few years ago. It was around $100 and might be out of print though.
    As sad as it is both are out of print. You can find the omnibus on ebay for a decent (but still expensive.) price. Still very much worth the price imho.

I would love to see more Cloak and Dagger cosplay! I was hoping that the Spider Island mini would get them a new series. Oh man I had forgotten about The Runaways! Gert was my favorite, then Molly, then Xavin. Wish that book would come back too.

Oh and that was a fun article, hope to see you post more of them here.
    Last edited by Monkeyboy Prime; December 1, 2011 at 09:22am. Reason: Spelling Error.
    When will we get our Songster figure Mattel???

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I'd be excited, but he's not leaving Marvel, just the Avengers. The people who let him practically run the Marvel Universe are still there. Disney needs to clean house before I ever go back to Marvel.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Sad news from my point of view. I've liked Bendis' work on Avengers and his impact on the Avengers has been a huge one. I don't agree with everything his done, but I've enjoyed the ride. Though, I think all good things must come to an end. And it's better that things come to an timely end than that they'd fade away into a sucky end. If Bendis feels it's time to go, then it's propably time to go.

Even though opinions on Bendis have been divided, it is my understanding that his comics have sold well. It's interesting to see how this change influenses the sales numbers.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

My marketplace feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    Sad news from my point of view. I've liked Bendis' work on Avengers and his impact on the Avengers has been a huge one. I don't agree with everything his done, but I've enjoyed the ride. Though, I think all good things must come to an end. And it's better that things come to an timely end than that they'd fade away into a sucky end. If Bendis feels it's time to go, then it's propably time to go.

Even though opinions on Bendis have been divided, it is my understanding that his comics have sold well. It's interesting to see how this change influenses the sales numbers.
    I unabashedly LOVE Bendis! Best dialogue in the business! And we like a lot of the same characters like Luke Cage and Spider-Woman and he'd been instrumental in their taking the forefront of the Marvel Universe.

Bendis killed of Ultimate Spidey so good riddance to him and I hope he doesn't just leave the Avengers but never ever ever works in comics ever again oh and he can take that overrated hack Millar with him
    Last edited by wolfsfang; December 7, 2011 at 08:28pm.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Bendis killed of Ultimate Spidey so good riddance to him...
    I love that he did that. I was a big fan of Ultimate Spider-Man, but it was becoming closer and closer to the regular book. Too much back continuity, too much of the same. To me the big plus of the Ultimate Universe is that anything can happen.

well Ultimate Spider-Man was one of the last comic series that I followed so ever since it was announced that it was going to happen I have never read / bought a single comic book (western ones that is) and I never will again.

Death of Ultimate Spidey for me is the death of comics.

That plus my decision to buy no more MOTUC figures means more money for Naruto stuff so I guess there is a plus side

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    And we like a lot of the same characters like Luke Cage and Spider-Woman and he'd been instrumental in their taking the forefront of the Marvel Universe.
    I think Bendis has had a very good grip on some of the characters - especially on Luke Cage and Spider-woman. It's amazing how he took two Marvel characters that have never been that much in the spotlights and turned them into two major players in the Marvel universe.

And in my eyes Bendis has either a good or better than good grip on most of the characters and writes really good dialogue. There are some characters that I just can't feel sitting right in my mind - like pre-Heroic age Thor and pre-Heroic Age Hawk-Eye/Ronin. And Wolverine has been quite a stereotype of himself many times (though he has also proved that he can write Wolverine well).

But even with my little gripes I think that Bendis has done an awesome work with the avengers. His run is amongst my favorite runs in the avengers history. I hope he continues his work at Marvel even after he stops with the Avengers, and maybe takes on a solo character or something like that.

My marketplace feedback

Meh, that's about all I can say.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I'm a big fan of Bendis as well - going back to the days of books like GOLDFISH and JINX (and I absolutely adore FORTUNE AND GLORY).

I do think he's stronger writing creator owned books than work for hire, but I've loved a lot of his Marvel work (especially ALIAS, his early DAREDEVIL and USM).

I do think he has some noticeable flaws tho. I think he's fantastic starting off stories with great plots, but his endings often peter out - or at least don't live up to the great premise that he's set. His dialogue is terrific (even if its wholly stolen from David Mamet), but all his characters tend to speak in the same voice. And he has a tendency to turn epic confrontations into a bunch of guys standing around talking.

I think he is a good writer who gets over hyped to being the best. Granted being the best can mean just better than the rest out there, but I think he is that arguably not de facto. I just found myself apathetic to Marvel in the last few years. I just wasn't looking forward to characters I was before, this may have had something to do with editorial decisions. But I did keep reading the Ultimate universe a few titles after the worst of those were made. But those titles went away then one day I kind of realized I was only reading the Ultimate comics because I had read them all and I wasn't really having fun reading them.

While I jokingly compared him and Geoff Johns in the DC reboot thread, I will say they are probably the same level of writer they are good, some people are going to overemphasize their flaws and say they are bad. So I think they are comparable in that sense.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I became a fan of Bendis thanks to Ultimate Spider-Man. Now I love his Avengers titles. I read New Avengers, Secret Avengers and regular Avengers. I loved Steve Rogers Super-Soldier and his role in all the Avengers comics.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Jerry Robinson died yesterday.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/08/showbi...bit/index.html

Even though I'm not a fan of Mark Waid, I did chuckle at his tweet regarding this sad news...

"Sorry to hear about Jerry Robinson, always very gracious to me. Terrific man. R.I.P, sir, and don't let Bob Kane try to sign your tombstone."

Does this make Archie Andrews a "furry"???
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; December 13, 2011 at 12:51am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

I listed the DC reviews and articles I wrote here.

I also reviewed by Marvel:
    Avengers: X-sanction
    New Avengers

Here's an op-ed piece I wrote:
    http://sciencefiction.com/2012/01/01...r-objectivity/
    In the beginning, I mentioned a book by an author named Mike Madrid. The day after the article went up, he sent me a friend request on Facebook, so I was insanely stoked beyond belief!
    For other reviews and articles I've written, click here.
    Last edited by Wonderboy_JMB; January 6, 2012 at 05:51pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6 titles cancelled & 6 new titles to replace them...

DC's NEW NEW 52

GOODBYE

* OMAC (I loved this book)
    * Men Of War (I loved the first issue but its quality dipped imo)
    * Mister Terrific (I never loved this character and this book didn't change that for me)
    * Hawk & Dove (I love the characters but not the book; I was hoping a new team could have helped sales)
    * Blackhawks (It had a lot of potential imo; DC's own G.I. Joe)
    * Statis Shock (I love the Milestone characters more than this book, but I hope this doesn't mean we'll never see an Icon or Hardware book)

HELLO

* Dial H For Hero (This is a fun concept but it's wait & see for me)
    * Batman Incorporated (I'm not sure I like this concept & Morrison is hit or miss with me, but I do love Batwing)
    * Earth 2 (I love the Multiverse and the JSA)
    * World's Finest (I love both Power Girl & Huntress; making them from Earth 2 is even better)
    * The Ravagers (If Ravager is on this team, I am so there)
    * G.I. Combat (I don't usually like war books but stories featuring The Unknown Soldier & The Haunted Tank aren't your typical war stories)
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; January 12, 2012 at 01:33pm.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I'll be in for Batman, Inc... maybe World's Finest since Kevin Macguire is doing alternate arcs. I love his stuff.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Dial H for Hero is coming back?

Awesome I have always been a fan of this series cuz I used to love seeing what regular ppl (those that do not work in comics) would come up with in terms of villains and heroes.

Not that I want to submit anything but they are still going to use fan characters right and not just make their own up?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I'll check out the World's Finest book. I like both Huntress and Power Girl, so hopefully the artist and writing is good. I'll check out Earth 2 as well.

We have a SEVENTH book with Batman? Grief...

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

It looks like they will stick with if it doesn't perform bye bye. The bad thing is, sales are already dropping so that means many who bought aren't sticking around as many predicted. Which means sales are going to return somewhat to what they were before.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    It looks like they will stick with if it doesn't perform bye bye. The bad thing is, sales are already dropping so that means many who bought aren't sticking around as many predicted. Which means sales are going to return somewhat to what they were before.
    While that's true for most of the New 52, some of the titles like Action, JL, Batman, and Aquaman are selling better than they have in the past. That's still good news for DC even though it's not as good as it was in September.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post

Not that I want to submit anything but they are still going to use fan characters right and not just make their own up?
    Don't know. The original series didn't, and neither did the last version of the book (the very underrated H-E-R-O by Will Pfiefer). Only the 80s series used that gimmick (something I thought was super cool as a kid).