Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Official" Superhero & Comic Book Thread!!!

Villainous Marauder Monkeyboy Prime's Avatar
    Any thoughts about the new "Ultimate Spider-Man"? I won a copy of the death at the marvel booth at SDCC(hooray for Marvel trivia) and it was pretty lackluster, but the new Spider-Man has me intrigued.
    When will we get our Songster figure Mattel???

Last edited by wyldman11; August 2, 2011 at 09:53am.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I haven't read Ultimate Spider-Man for years so I don't even know who the character is. It doesn't seem that noteworthy to me though since 1) Ultimate is not the "real" Marvel Universe and 2) it's not the first time a superhero's new identity was that of a different race.

If Marvel killed off 616 Peter Parker and replaced him with someone else, I'd say they have balls(at least if they kept it that way for longer than a few months), but with the sales on Ultimate books a lot lower than they used to be, it doesn't seem like a gamble. If anything, it seems like a grasp for attention from the media with insincere political correctness.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; August 2, 2011 at 06:24pm.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

It's why I said it feels like the 70s, bring in a racial character to bring in people to read. Granted at this point they are (typically) better at writing characters of a non white background now.

I don't think this will bring in the sales they expect it to. Largely because people are dropping the universe because of things like the big events etc. Well and the story sense then has been dull, I think the news paper comics had more action in them.

But this is expected from people who think big events work.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    If Marvel killed off 616 Peter Parker and replaced him with someone else, I'd say they have balls(at least if they kept it that way for longer than a few months), but with the sales on Ultimate books a lot lower than they used to be, it doesn't seem like a gamble. If anything, it seems like a grasp for attention from the media with insincere political correctness.
    You aren't wrong... but even at current sales levels, I think Ultimate Spider-Man sells better than 616 Spider-Man.
    Or at least they are pretty close.
    EDIT: a quick search and it looks like, on average ASM is a bit higher, but they both hover around 50,000-60,000

But yeah, it still doesn't seem like a big deal since it isn't the "real" Spider-Man.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    You aren't wrong... but even at current sales levels, I think Ultimate Spider-Man sells better than 616 Spider-Man.
    Or at least they are pretty close.
    Really? Dang! I'm assuming that's because the fans who were upset by OMD stuck to their guns & really did stop buying it. Whenever I hear those claims of dropping a comic due to a storyline, I usually take them with a grain of salt.

I hope Dan Didio & Jim Lee are prepared for something similar happening with the upcoming DCU reboot. Not only is Clark & Lois' marriage gone, it seems that the entire JSA is as well.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I haven't read Ultimate Spider-Man for years so I don't even know who the character is. It doesn't seem that noteworthy to me though since 1) Ultimate is not the "real" Marvel Universe and 2) it's not the first time a superhero's new identity was that of a different race.

They are trying to make the Ultimate Universe a different place from the Marvel Universe. This is simply another step. I think the Ultimate U was so good that it was taking away sales from the original Universe (although with all of the problems with the normal Spider-Man--Gwen Stacy, Spider Totems, OMD, no wonder you'd read the Ultimate version). That's why Marvel decimated the Ultimate U down to Ultimate Spider-Man and the Ultimates.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Really? Dang! I'm assuming that's because the fans who were upset by OMD stuck to their guns & really did stop buying it. Whenever I hear those claims of dropping a comic due to a storyline, I usually take them with a grain of salt.
    Well, I was a little off... Amazing Spider-Man does sell a bit better. But not by much. And not every month.
    Amazing puts out more than one issue per month, though... so that could also be a factor to consider.

Still, you are right to take said claims with the proverbial grain of salt.

I hope Dan Didio & Jim Lee are prepared for something similar happening with the upcoming DCU reboot. Not only is Clark & Lois' marriage gone, it seems that the entire JSA is as well.
    Yeah, I hope so too.
    Maybe I'm wrong and this really will be a new dawn for DC. That would be awesome.
    But I really doubt it.

Both companies seem to be on a fools quest for the fabled "new reader" with no idea how to find them or if they are even real.

Yeah, I hope so too.
    Maybe I'm wrong and this really will be a new dawn for DC. That would be awesome.
    But I really doubt it.

Both companies seem to be on a fools quest for the fabled "new reader" with no idea how to find them or if they are even real.
    I agree. I'll give the new DCU a chance, but it seems like they haven't thought it out at all. More & more it seems like they are making it up as they go along just so they could debut it quicker.

Both companies' sales are down. While Marvel's sales are better than DC's, I think that is still due in large part to the fact that Marvel has more loyal readers(the often mentioned Marvel Zombies) & that DC has never been able to fully shake off the "uncool" image that they had back during the Silver Age. Both Disney & Warner Bros are going to need to decide how low they want to let sales drop before they let the "big 2" die out with the rest of the print industry. I don't want to see that, but it seems inevitable.

I think most kids think of comics as they do records. Some get into them & collect them due to how "retro cool" they are, but there are too many alternatives out there for their entertainment dollars that even we didn't have growing up in the 80's.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; August 2, 2011 at 07:24pm.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I agree. I'll give the new DCU a chance, but it seems like they haven't thought it out at all. More & more it seems like they are making it up as they go along just so they could debut it quicker.

Both companies' sales are down. While Marvel's sales are better than DC's, I think that is still due in large part to the fact that Marvel has more loyal readers(the often mentioned Marvel Zombies) & that DC has never been able to fully shake off the "uncool" image that they had back during the Silver Age. Both Disney & Warner Bros are going to need to decide how low they want to let sales drop before they let the "big 2" die out with the rest of the print industry. I don't want to see that, but it seems inevitable.

I think most kids think of comics as they do records. Some get into them & collect them due to how "retro cool" they are, but there are too many alternatives out there for their entertainment dollars that even we didn't have growing up in the 80's.
    Marvel is on it's way to moving from comic universe to movie universe. DC is in trouble.

I think the biggest part of my interest in the new Spider-Man is my love for the character. I would guess that because it is the Ultimate universe it might be a lasting change, so i hope that the book is good. The fact that Bendis drew his inspiration for this move from one of my favorite comedians only makes it better.

What about the Hellboy news? As a huge Hellboy fan (I have every Hellboy issue, every Hellboy hardback and a Hellboy tattoo.) I'm a little upset but the last few series seemed to be building to this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy Prime View Post
    What about the Hellboy news? As a huge Hellboy fan (I have every Hellboy issue, every Hellboy hardback and a Hellboy tattoo.) I'm a little upset but the last few series seemed to be building to this moment.
    I haven't checked out a comic site since before SDCC. What's the Hellboy news?

JOIN THE GROUP...

It's a huge SPOILER..

He is going to die, and according to Mike Mignola he's going to stay dead.

I feel like I'm part of the problem on why comics are a male dominated industry. Her art is very good, but the first thing I thought when I saw this video was how beautiful I thought Joëlle Jones is.

I sound just as bad as the typical "mouth breather" comic fan who gets all creepy around the opposite sex.

Maybe the whole "there aren't enough females in the comic industry" is a bigger problem than I initially thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy Prime View Post
    It's a huge SPOILER..
    On the one hand, it's his creation, but on the other, I'm not a fan of that idea.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; August 4, 2011 at 06:50pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

That's Joëlle Jones?!

She looks pretty nice! I got her Trouble Maker graphic novel because of her art!
    I like the way she draws Barnaby Jones!

I hope she draws more of her novels.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    That's Joëlle Jones?!

She looks pretty nice! I got her Trouble Maker graphic novel because of her art!
    I like the way she draws Barnaby Jones!

I hope she draws more of her novels.
    I almost bought that as well when I saw the art, but I'm not familiar with the books that it was based on and I'm not a Nascar fan at all(although, according to the video, neither is Joëlle).

JOIN THE GROUP...

I almost bought that as well when I saw the art, but I'm not familiar with the books that it was based on and I'm not a Nascar fan at all(although, according to the video, neither is Joëlle).
    I'm not a Nascar fan either, but I loved the women that she draws. I was at my LCBS one day and happened to notice the cover. I flipped through the book, liked what I saw and brought the only copy the store had. Those Nascar elements aren't very prevalent in the book, although the main character is a female gearhead/mechanic who works for her Nascar racer boss. They solve mysteries together amidst much sexual tension.

I just read the last two issues of Secret Six last night.
    I'm sad to see this book end, but it made it a lot longer than I expected.

It was a C-List DC title, and those typically don't fair well enough to last 36 issues.
    Still, it sucks that it had the numbers to stick around but lost out to this reboot idea.

I just read the last two issues of Secret Six last night.
    I'm sad to see this book end, but it made it a lot longer than I expected.

It was a C-List DC title, and those typically don't fair well enough to last 36 issues.
    Still, it sucks that it had the numbers to stick around but lost out to this reboot idea.
    Man am I going to miss this book. I wonder if Rag Doll will still exist in the DCnU?

I'm up for a job covering Marvel Comics for a website, which is just about the best job I can imagine having. Except... I'm a DC boy. I figure I need to bone up on Marvel. I was reading them fairly regularly up until after Secret Invasion. I was reading the Avengers and sporadically reading the X-Men books, except those were so disjointed I couldn't reconcile them. Are there any particularly good or noteworthy runs of titles from the last couple of years I should check out? Please and thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    I'm up for a job covering Marvel Comics for a website, which is just about the best job I can imagine having. Except... I'm a DC boy. I figure I need to bone up on Marvel. I was reading them fairly regularly up until after Secret Invasion. I was reading the Avengers and sporadically reading the X-Men books, except those were so disjointed I couldn't reconcile them. Are there any particularly good or noteworthy runs of titles from the last couple of years I should check out? Please and thank you!
    While I don't currently read any Marvel comics and feel most of these following suggestions to be of extremely poor quality, I can tell you that Ultimate Spider-Man, Secret Invasion, Siege, Avengers & New Avengers by Brian Bendis, Captain America by Ed Brubaker, Thor by JM Straczynski, Ultimates & Civil War by Mark Millar, and Iron Man by Matt Fraction are either "popular" or considered "important". Good luck.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    From the last few years I would recommend Agents of Atlas, Thunderbolts, Avengers Academy, and Greg Pak on most anything. I've said it before and I'll say it again I think Spider-Man has been the best he's been in a good 15 years. Deadpool has been a fun read but not as good as his original run. X-Factor is Peter David at his peak, and considering his Aquaman and Hulk runs that's saying a lot. Hickman on the FF is great and his re imaging of SHIELD is cool but his stuff is weird not for everyone. I can't think of anything more right now but if I do I'll post it.

Even though most of them have already been revealed, here is Newsarama's exclusive look at all 52 of DC's new logos...

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multime...id=3556&page=1

I definitely like 21 of them. Maybe some of the others will grow on me.

By the way, how is Newsarama still getting exclusives?
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; August 23, 2011 at 08:13pm.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I counted up and it's about just about the same for me, and I would have the feeling there is probably only a difference of 1-3 also.

Heroic Warrior

jla presale numbers

Over 200k presale for DCnU JLA

http://icv2.com/articles/news/20898.html