Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Official" Superhero & Comic Book Thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Over 200k presale for DCnU JLA

http://icv2.com/articles/news/20898.html
    I still think it's going to be a bloody failure(I hope I'm wrong), but that's good news. Although, I'd be shocked if Jim Lee & Geoff Johns on JLA didn't do good numbers. Now let's see DC get numbers like that with JT Krul & some unknown artist on Doom Patrol.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I still think it's going to be a bloody failure(I hope I'm wrong), but that's good news. Although, I'd be shocked if Jim Lee & Geoff Johns on JLA didn't do good numbers. Now let's see DC get numbers like that with JT Krul & some unknown artist on Doom Patrol.
    You're sort of touch upon the million dollar answer. Numbers.

Specifically the numbers after #1.

example #1:
    200 k for #1 but what about #2? #6? does it drop down to 100 K? 125 K?

example #2:
    75 k for #1 but what #2? #12? Does that 75k become 25 K? 15 k?

When or if will the newness or hype wear off?

What is DC's magic number. Dan D said they have one. I suppose soon enough we'll find out.

However all of that may not matter if people buy into the new version.

or maybe they buy into it until the next team moves in. Is that when the numbers start to drop.

I know it's waaaaaaaaaaaaay to early to ask such questions but I can't help it.

While I don't currently read any Marvel comics and feel most of these following suggestions to be of extremely poor quality, I can tell you that Ultimate Spider-Man, Secret Invasion, Siege, Avengers & New Avengers by Brian Bendis, Captain America by Ed Brubaker, Thor by JM Straczynski, Ultimates & Civil War by Mark Millar, and Iron Man by Matt Fraction are either "popular" or considered "important". Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy Prime View Post
    From the last few years I would recommend Agents of Atlas, Thunderbolts, Avengers Academy, and Greg Pak on most anything. I've said it before and I'll say it again I think Spider-Man has been the best he's been in a good 15 years. Deadpool has been a fun read but not as good as his original run. X-Factor is Peter David at his peak, and considering his Aquaman and Hulk runs that's saying a lot. Hickman on the FF is great and his re imaging of SHIELD is cool but his stuff is weird not for everyone. I can't think of anything more right now but if I do I'll post it.
    Thanks for the recommendations. The guy that runs the site specifically mentioned The Punisher. *groan* But ya gotta do what ya gotta do, I guess. I'd actually heard that a number of these suggestions were good. I was reading Avengers and New Avengers, but the whole Norman Osborn taking over thing just didn't go down well with me and I dropped them. I was trying to read X-Men, but couldn't reconcile what was going on, since so many of the same characters appear in multiple series, in different story lines and even different costumes, so I was like, "What's going on here?" I didn't realize Peter David was writing X-Factor. I read his entire original run on that book back in the 90s!

Is anyone reading Fear Itself?

You're sort of touch upon the million dollar answer. Numbers.

Specifically the numbers after #1.

example #1:
    200 k for #1 but what about #2? #6? does it drop down to 100 K? 125 K?

example #2:
    75 k for #1 but what #2? #12? Does that 75k become 25 K? 15 k?
    f

When or if will the newness or hype wear off?

What is DC's magic number. Dan D said they have one. I suppose soon enough we'll find out.

However all of that may not matter if people buy into the new version.

or maybe they buy into it until the next team moves in. Is that when the numbers start to drop.

I know it's waaaaaaaaaaaaay to early to ask such questions but I can't help it.
    I remeber a article that one of them said if they were on a steady declince by issue three and at a certain number they would get the,axe maybe that is something Dan said. Do you have a link for the life of me I cannot find it but it would be once issue three numbers
    Were out so it would be around issue five that book would start getting canned.
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTUfan View Post
    I remeber a article that one of them said if they were on a steady declince by issue three and at a certain number they would get the,axe maybe that is something Dan said. Do you have a link for the life of me I cannot find it but it would be once issue three numbers
    Were out so it would be around issue five that book would start getting canned.
    I don't have any links handy. I read in a interview or two he said he was giving the books six months and the magic number. maybe one of the first interviews he did he said that.
    Last edited by midor; August 28, 2011 at 12:34am.

As far as Marvel goes, Uncanny X-Force is not only fantastic but EASY to jump into. The X-Men form a secret Black Ops Force. And each issue is dark with great shocking twists. So much fun to read.

As for DC I only read Green Lantern Corp and Batgirl. I will buy 9-10 of the #1 issues to give them a chance. JL Dark sounds cool. But ultimately I think it's going to be seen as big a failure as Superman walking for a year. You can't just reboot half the universe and claim Batman and Green Lantern are left unchanged. So what Batman has only been operating for 5 years? When the hell did he make Damian? in high school? How old is Tim? If Hal Jordan is a young GL operating for only 5 years, how long has Kyle been a GL? 2 months?
    Last edited by hopewell; August 25, 2011 at 11:35pm. Reason: typos

Villainous Marauder Monkeyboy Prime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations. The guy that runs the site specifically mentioned The Punisher. *groan* But ya gotta do what ya gotta do, I guess. I'd actually heard that a number of these suggestions were good. I was reading Avengers and New Avengers, but the whole Norman Osborn taking over thing just didn't go down well with me and I dropped them. I was trying to read X-Men, but couldn't reconcile what was going on, since so many of the same characters appear in multiple series, in different story lines and even different costumes, so I was like, "What's going on here?" I didn't realize Peter David was writing X-Factor. I read his entire original run on that book back in the 90s!

Is anyone reading Fear Itself?
    Actually the new Punisher series is off to a pretty good start. The 2nd issue just came out. Greg Rucka does some cool crime drama stuff that seems to work really well with the Punisher. Some of the MAX stuff from a few years ago was great too. Specifically the Slavers story.

X-Factor is great! If your interested in reading it I would start with the Madrox mini Multiple Choice. It recasts Multiple Man as a noir-ish private detective and is the unofficial start to the X-Factor series.

Fear Itself is kind of good, I guess. I think I'm a little burnt out on Marvels constant need to have a huge event going on at all times. That and I'm not a fan of making up new villains for this kind of stuff. Not enough build up on what the villain wants, same problem with the Doomsday story in the Death of Superman story. Maybe that's just me thought.
    When will we get our Songster figure Mattel???

Huge interview here it touches on possible cancellations as well as the whole Flashpoint saga leading into the new 52, also on how the Killing Joke is referenced in Batgirl #1 as a major focal point in Batgirl's continuity, and how Babs in their minds (Lee and Dan D is the only Batgirl....sadly.... ):

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50720

But I still do not think it is the correct one, I'll keep searching.

Not it either ugh, but interesting how DC wants all 52 of their comics to sell 100,000 or better, I think they got a good start with a few at 200,000 also retailer incentives at 1 incentive for every 200 books ordered for Batman, JLA, Action and a few others for the first three issues:

http://www.matnastos.net/2011/06/dc-...dshow-a-recap/
    Last edited by MOTUfan; August 26, 2011 at 12:57am. Reason: added more.
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall

Did anyone pick up the new TMNT last wednesday? My store sold out but I'm thinking of giving it a chance when they get more next week.

What about the Hellboy news? As a huge Hellboy fan (I have every Hellboy issue, every Hellboy hardback and a Hellboy tattoo.) I'm a little upset but the last few series seemed to be building to this moment.
    Now that we know that it isn't really the "end" of Hellboy, I think I'm going to give the new book a chance next year. I've read some of his early trades and enjoyed the 2 movies, but I've never been a hardcore Hellboy fan. This new status quo seems to be the perfect time to rectify that.

Quote Originally Posted by hopewell View Post
    As for DC I only read Green Lantern Corp and Batgirl. I will buy 9-10 of the #1 issues to give them a chance. JL Dark sounds cool. But ultimately I think it's going to be seen as big a failure as Superman walking for a year. You can't just reboot half the universe and claim Batman and Green Lantern are left unchanged. So what Batman has only been operating for 5 years? When the hell did he make Damian? in high school? How old is Tim? If Hal Jordan is a young GL operating for only 5 years, how long has Kyle been a GL? 2 months?
    While I understand why DC kept the canon for Batman & Green Lantern(those family of books are their bestsellers), I agree that it's going to be a mess. Even though I like Nightwing, Jason Todd, & Stephanie Brown, I'd have preferred a straight reboot to this mishmash that led to similar problems post-Crisis in the 80's.

I'll be giving most of the new books a chance since I still love the DCU & its characters, but this has disaster written all over it imo. If this "kills" DC for me, I guess I'll have to wait for Archie Comics to bring back their Red Circle superheroes(supposedly they plan to now that the rights have reverted back from DC to them again) since Marvel is dead to me until JoeyQ's inner circle is gone.

JOIN THE GROUP...

[QUOTE=Mr. Shokoti;2806993]Did anyone pick up the new TMNT last wednesday? My store sold out but I'm thinking of giving it a chance when they get more next week.

I just bought this today and it's great. The art is reminiscent of the original black and whites. The quips are there and the action is dynamic. All the major heroes make an appearance but it's abrupt and purely set up. Feels paced for a trade. It'll be over before you know it, but I enjoyed the hell out of reading new TMNT.

Quote Originally Posted by hopewell View Post
    I just bought this today and it's great. The art is reminiscent of the original black and whites. The quips are there and the action is dynamic. All the major heroes make an appearance but it's abrupt and purely set up. Feels paced for a trade. It'll be over before you know it, but I enjoyed the hell out of reading new TMNT.
    If one good think came out of Peter Laird selling TMNT to Nickelodeon, it's that Splinter is alive again. That was one of several things I didn't like about his take on the Turtles in their most recent series.

JOIN THE GROUP...

There's a great hardcover edition of the original TMNT books coming out this month. That and the action figures that came out a couple years ago, based on the old comics, those have really made me a very happy fan. They're a beast to track down now but I bought two sets of the turtles, April and a bunch of mousers!

Oh and the DC Reboot? I found a great quote today by Cummings "Nothing recedes like progress." Totally fits the comic world in my opinion.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2011/08/marko-djurdjevic-ends-marvel-deal-blasts-editors/

Marko Djurdjevic ends Marvel deal, blasts editors

If you’re breathlessly awaiting for more Marvel work from Marko Djurdjevic, you may be disappointed. The acclaimed artist, known for his character designs and for his covers for FF, Daredevil and Thor, revealed last night at FanExpo Canada that he’s ended his exclusive contract with the publisher — a split that apparently couldn’t come soon enough for Djurdjevic.

“When I get hired for movie work or video game work, I get hired for my creativity,” Djurdjevic said in the ironically named “Team Spirit” panel. “At Marvel, I get hired for what they know sells. It’s really just a pigeon hole for an artist.”

According to the Comic Book Resources report, softspoken FF artist Steve Epting stood in stark contrast to a joking yet visibly frustrated Djurdjevic, who complained about interference from Marvel editors and repeated requests for revisions without additional pay. “I was fighting with the guys at Marvel about this,” he said. “You can’t make people re-work your **** because you can’t decide what you want. Either pay or leave.” After showing the audience numerous mock-ups for his redesign of Lady Bullseye — mocking editors’ comments in high-pitched tones — Djurdjevic added, “When they would not interfere with my direction, they would get results that would amaze even me.”

He didn’t restrict his criticism to the editors, however. Asked by Epting whether he wished he’d done more interior work at Marvel, Djurdjevic replied, “They never put me with any writers that I liked.” From there, CBR reports, he launched into a tirade about the company and fired a few shots at Duane Swierczynski, who he said writes “like toilet paper.”
    Wild stuff!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Not surprised he was unhappy. His covers of late have looked very phoned in.

No where near as dynamic as what he used to do, and kind of sloppy. Many of them look like someone badly trying to copy his work.

I'm not familiar with his work since I rarely even glance at the Marvel section of my lcs anymore, but the guy sounds like a jerk. It really hurts for me to side with JoeyQ's Marvel & Mark Waid(he Tweeted that Marko won't be missed), but they are the "lesser of 2 evils" this time.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I don't have strong feeling about his work, but he has done some nice covers.
    Regardless, even if he is completely justified in his feelings, you don't behave this way.
    Airing this out at a comic convention panel in front of fans and other creators is a really dumb move.
    Even if you never ever ever want to work for Marvel again, some of these people may be at DC or Image or Dark Horse in five years. And even if they aren't, their friends are/will be.

It's just not a good move for someone in such a small industry to be burning bridges.
    I guess he has video game work (which I'm sure is more profitable) but who knows what the future will be like.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Jeff Lemire had a spotlight panel at Fan Expo Canada. At which we learned;

•Sweet Tooth will probably end about issue 50
    •His Atom back ups in Adventure Comics will tie in to his new Frankenstein series as Ray Palmer becomes a member of the S.H.A.D.E. science team.
    •Lemire sees S.H.A.D.E. as the big spy agency for DC new Universe and has talked with Paul Cornell about how it will all fit together with Stormwatch in Year Two.
    •Dan DiDio pretty much comfirmed Wally West won't be around for a while as Wayy's origins derive from Barry's and the timeline is too concise. They will have Bart for the teenage set however.

James Robinson also appeared at a Spotlight panel. And he's been talking about his Shade series from DC, spinning out from his legendary Starman run.

•We know that Von Hammer will be appearing in the first two issues, Robinson also let the audience know that vampire La Sangre will return for issue five to seven.
    •And in issue eleven, Egyptian gods will be attacking London, with Knight And Squire on hand.
    •If they exist. He's not quite sure if they exist in the New 52. He's going to find out.
    •He wants to write new Congorilla and new Starman stories - but not using Jack Knight...

And there was a Flashpoint Friday panel too. In which we learnt;

• Pied Piper will be coming back in Flash at some point
    • Booster Gold will be Canadian in JLI. Hmm.
    • Azzarello originally turned down Flashpoint: Batman. ?*But after thinking about it said yes. He realized that if Thomas Wayne was Batman then Martha had to be joker "because everyone wants to see Batman and Joker kiss".

I guess I'm in the minority in being happy that Barry is back as the Flash(although I did grow up with Wally as the Flash), but if you are going to get rid of a Flash, why Wally? I HATE Bart and it really stinks that he's the second Flash who's sticking around.

Also, Booster Gold is a Canuck?

JOIN THE GROUP...

IMO, Azzarillo and Risso's Flashpoint: Batman has been the only worthwhile book out of the whole mess.

Villainous Marauder Monkeyboy Prime's Avatar
    I guess I'm in the minority in being happy that Barry is back as the Flash(although I did grow up with Wally as the Flash), but if you are going to get rid of a Flash, why Wally? I HATE Bart and it really stinks that he's the second Flash who's sticking around.
    I hate that Barry is back. Wally is my Flash he has been the only Flash for most of my life, I have no connection to Barry. It's part of the bigger problem I have with DC. They have legacy characters, that is one of the big reasons I like DC, but it seems like they want to get rid of one of the big things that separate them from Marvel.
    When will we get our Songster figure Mattel???

I hate that Barry is back. Wally is my Flash he has been the only Flash for most of my life, I have no connection to Barry. It's part of the bigger problem I have with DC. They have legacy characters, that is one of the big reasons I like DC, but it seems like they want to get rid of one of the big things that separate them from Marvel.
    They didn't with Batman at least(unfortunately). Supposedly he's been working for 5 year give or take when the reboot starts, but somehow that was enough time for Dik Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, and Damian. Either Grayson became Robin at 18 or he's a lot younger Nightwing than we're used to.

I like that Barry is back since he is pretty important to DC. He was the first Silver Age take on a Golden Age character, Earth 2 was discovered in his book, and he saved the DCU in Crisis On Infinite Earths. I wish Wally was still around but that doesn't mean I think Barry should stay dead.

I am definitely not one of those people who feels resurrections cheapen storylines. Besides the fact that these are all made up characters who aren't actually alive, if no character ever came back to life, there would be a lot of characters some of us would never have even seen in our lifetime such as The Joker & Magneto.

JSA In A Post Reboot DCU???

I don't know if this was always planned or if DC just gave in to fan demands like they did with Wonder Woman's pants, but I am very happy either way!!!

James Robinson & Nicola Scott On New JSA Book!!!

While Robinson names doesn't make me extremely happy, Nicola Scott makes up for that. I'm not sure how I feel about Earth2 yet.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; August 27, 2011 at 03:46pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

They didn't with Batman at least(unfortunately). Supposedly he's been working for 5 year give or take when the reboot starts, but somehow that was enough time for Dik Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, and Damian. Either Grayson became Robin at 18 or he's a lot younger Nightwing than we're used to.

I like that Barry is back since he is pretty important to DC. He was the first Silver Age take on a Golden Age character, Earth 2 was discovered in his book, and he saved the DCU in Crisis On Infinite Earths. I wish Wally was still around but that doesn't mean I think Barry should stay dead.

I am definitely not one of those people who feels resurrections cheapen storylines. Besides the fact that these are all made up characters who aren't actually alive, if no character ever came back to life, there would be a lot of characters some of us would never have even seen in our lifetime such as The Joker & Magneto.

JSA In A Post Reboot DCU???

I don't know if this was always planned or if DC just gave in to fan demands like they did with Wonder Woman's pants, but I am very happy either way!!!

James Robinson & Nicola Scott On New JSA Book!!!

While Robinson names doesn't make me extremely happy, Nicola Scott makes up for that. I'm not sure how I feel about Earth2 yet.
    I don't remember where but it was confirmed Steph's time as Robin is being deleted.

And Nightwing is a confirmed 21 years old:

http://gothamspoilers.tumblr.com/pos...wing-info-dump

Nightwing writer, Kyle Higgins confirmed this on his Twitter, I imagine it is still there

Also on a different note:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/08/...to-publish-dc/

Warner wanted Marvel to buy DC Comics at one point.

Last edited by MOTUfan; August 28, 2011 at 12:17am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Warrior
    • Booster Gold will be Canadian in JLI. Hmm.
    What the......?! Instead of being from the future he's from Canada? Being from the future and why he came from the future is what gave him depth.

I'm ok with them being on Earth two. Them being retconned in "our Earth" didn't feel right. like they was shoe horned in.

Having them On Earth-2 feels like they are undoing Crisis

What the......?! Instead of being from the future he's from Canada? Being from the future and why he came from the future is what gave him depth.
    Are you assuming there is no Canada in the future, so if he's Canadian he has to be from the present?

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Are you assuming there is no Canada in the future, so if he's Canadian he has to be from the present?
    I'd just assumed Canada was our 51st state in the future.

I hope he's still from the future, but even if he isn't, Skeets better still be around. I know DC seems to be pretty eager to make sure they have plenty of characters who are members of various minority groups, but I never thought Canada would be something that needed being covered.

I'm ok with them being on Earth two. Them being retconned in "our Earth" didn't feel right. like they was shoe horned in.

Having them On Earth-2 feels like they are undoing Crisis
    My issue isn't really that they are on Earth 2. I'm just scared that with them on another Earth, they won't be used much(at least until Geoff Johns decides to write them again). I wonder if it will be an WW II era Earth or just a modern Earth with Golden age characters.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; August 28, 2011 at 01:51am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

I hope he's still from the future, but even if he isn't, Skeets better still be around. I know DC seems to be pretty eager to make sure they have plenty of characters who are members of various minority groups, but I never thought Canada would be something that needed being covered.
    I will be shocked if he isn't from the future. That's the whole point of the character.

I'm sure the only reason he's now Canadian is for the national diversity of Justice League International.