Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Official" Superhero & Comic Book Thread!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Are you assuming there is no Canada in the future, so if he's Canadian he has to be from the present?
    My knee jerk reaction is he's NOT from the future. then they go ok. he's NOT from the future what do we do with him? I don't know. I don't care. Make him come from Canada.

I don't care if he's from Canada. All I'm saying is IF he's not from the future then it ruins the character.

There is a page on DC's main site, just single sentances, teasers basically something a character will be saying from the upcoming 52 #1s one is something along the lines of Time travel being cut off due to Flashpoint. I'll find the link.
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....

Quote Originally Posted by MOTUfan View Post
    There is a page on DC's main site, just single sentances, teasers basically something a character will be saying from the upcoming 52 #1s one is something along the lines of Time travel being cut off due to Flashpoint. I'll find the link.
    Isn't the basis for the upcoming Legion Lost series all about people from the future coming to the past?

Honestly, I think making Booster from Canada is stupid if the only reason for it is because they can, but it's not a deal breaker. Canada is relatively close, culture wise, to the US. It's not like they made him from Japan or France.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I'm sure its just to keep the cast of Justice League International from being too American, since it already has Batman and Guy Gardner in it.

I doubt Dan Jurgens is going to remove the hook from the character he created.

I'm sure its just to keep the cast of Justice League International from being too American, since it already has Batman and Guy Gardner in it.

I doubt Dan Jurgens is going to remove the hook from the character he created.
    Ill ask Dan on the seventh when we meet him at a comic signing
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....

Dr. Light (KImiyo Hoshi) would be a perfect fit for JLI. Just sayin'.

I think it's been a while since we actually talked about stuff we are reading instead of the stuff that is coming up that we think is stupid or will suck.

So what titles are you guys reading and enjoying at the moment?
    Bill :: guitargod694

There isn't a lot I'm loving right now. I think FLASH POINT and FEAR ITSELF are absolutely dreadful.

My 2 favorite monthly comics by far are SCALPED and AMERICAN VAMPIRE. SCALPED has been fantastic from early on with an amazing cast of characters. VAMPIRE surprised me by actually being a really and interesting book that doesn't feel like a vampire rehash at all.

I'm super impressed with the first 2 issues of the new DAREDEVIL book. Mark Waid isn't ignoring all the crap that went on previously, but he's made the book a ton of FUN again. And Paolo Rivera is just killing it on the art.

Greg Rucks'as new PUNISHER series is surprisingly good for a character I don't care about at all. And the art is gorgeous as well.

I think Scott Snyder's DETECTIVE has been very good.

I think FLASH POINT and FEAR ITSELF are absolutely dreadful.
    Agreed.

My 2 favorite monthly comics by far are SCALPED and AMERICAN VAMPIRE. SCALPED has been fantastic from early on with an amazing cast of characters. VAMPIRE surprised me by actually being a really and interesting book that doesn't feel like a vampire rehash at all.
    I love Scalped. I'm following that in trades, and they can't come out fast enough for me.
    I hear good things about American Vampire, but I just hate vampires soooo much.
    Every so often someone convinces me to try this new vampire story that I will like even though it's vampires...
    hasn't worked yet.

I think Scott Snyder's DETECTIVE has been very good.
    I'm hearing that a lot, too. I'll be looking for that trade and following the reviews for his new Batman work too.

Personally, I'm having a lot of fun with Butcher Baker, the Righteous Maker.
    But I love Joe Casey's work... GØDLAND is a long time favorite that I wish came out more than once every 5-6 months.
    Especially since it only has 2-3 issues left.

And as weird as it is to say this, Uncanny X-Force has been awesome.
    But I'm a sucker for much of Remender's work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    I hear good things about American Vampire, but I just hate vampires soooo much.
    Every so often someone convinces me to try this new vampire story that I will like even though it's vampires...
    hasn't worked yet.
    I don't like Vampires either, but its really good. Its more a comic that has vampires in it than a "vampire comic". And it spans years: Old West, WWII, etc.

I love Scalped. I'm following that in trades, and they can't come out fast enough for me.
    I think way more than PREACHER or any other rumored comic, SCALPED would make a phenomenal HBO series.

And as weird as it is to say this, Uncanny X-Force has been awesome.
    But I'm a sucker for much of Remender's work as well.
    It might be the only X Book I'm enjoying right now. Mostly because it stays away from the crap going on in all the others.

Villainous Marauder Monkeyboy Prime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    They didn't with Batman at least(unfortunately). Supposedly he's been working for 5 year give or take when the reboot starts, but somehow that was enough time for Dik Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, and Damian. Either Grayson became Robin at 18 or he's a lot younger Nightwing than we're used to.

I like that Barry is back since he is pretty important to DC. He was the first Silver Age take on a Golden Age character, Earth 2 was discovered in his book, and he saved the DCU in Crisis On Infinite Earths. I wish Wally was still around but that doesn't mean I think Barry should stay dead.

I am definitely not one of those people who feels resurrections cheapen storylines. Besides the fact that these are all made up characters who aren't actually alive, if no character ever came back to life, there would be a lot of characters some of us would never have even seen in our lifetime such as The Joker & Magneto.
    I think it's more that you could still tell Barry stories, but Wally had been built up to be the Flash for 20 some odd years. Even when Bart took over it made sense because it was built up to him taking over (which was handled really poorly.) To me it makes no sense that Barry came back. It just furthers the idea that the big two are stagnant and nothing ever sticks.

Oh and the TMNT book was good, not that I have read much just the old Archie stuff.
    When will we get our Songster figure Mattel???

I don't like Vampires either, but its really good. Its more a comic that has vampires in it than a "vampire comic". And it spans years: Old West, WWII, etc.
    I dunno... maybe I'll check it out. Maybe.
    I'm just now reading Invincible for the first time, so I've got plenty to keep me busy for a bit.

I think way more than PREACHER or any other rumored comic, SCALPED would make a phenomenal HBO series.
    I agree, I think it would be awesome.
    Preacher is one of my favorite series, but I think it would have too much changed in translation.
    But Scalped I think could work as-is, more or less.

It might be the only X Book I'm enjoying right now. Mostly because it stays away from the crap going on in all the others.
    Me too. But I'm hoping Aaron's upcoming Wolverine and the X-Men will impress me.
    We'll see...

New miniseries coming from Image in early October: The Strange Talent of Luther Strode.

I've read the first 2 issues (its written by a friend) and its really outstanding.

Here is how Justin describes the book:

“It’s about a skinny, bullied kid who orders an old time bodybuilding course from a comic book, and finds out that it works. What he doesn’t know is that the book is actually a tryout for an ancient murder cult, and Luther’s new strength and talent comes with certain strings attached….

“Or, more simply, it’s about a geek who thinks he’s becoming a superhero when he’s really becoming a slasher.”
    Its getting an amazing amount of publicity for a book by newcomers. He got the cover of October's previews, is doing a remarkable amount of interviews and USA Today just did a story:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...2F50218762%2F1

In an attempt to get some life back into this thread...

What are some of your favorite comics currently running that are not published by DC or Marvel?

JOIN THE GROUP...

Greg Rucks'as new PUNISHER series is surprisingly good for a character I don't care about at all. And the art is gorgeous as well.
    Agreed! I might start covering it on SciFi. The site's owner specifically asked me about it and I was like "Ew" but read the first two and they're bloody EXCELLENT!

The only non-DC Marvel books I read are Invincible and Walking Dead, but as trades, not monthlies.
    Last edited by Wonderboy_JMB; September 13, 2011 at 06:58pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What are some of your favorite comics currently running that are not published by DC or Marvel?
    I assume that excludes Vertigo then?

GØDLAND, Butcher Baker the Righteous Maker, Morning Glories, Chew, The Boys, and Invincible are all books I read in some format (mostly trade) that I think are pretty solid.

Also, Mr Shokoti, I just saw this and thought of you: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-on-twitter%2F
    Fair play? Or stooping to Marvel's level?

Part of me kind of finds that funny.

I think if Marvel did it they would have it post DC smells like caca though.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Also, Mr Shokoti, I just saw this and thought of you: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-on-twitter%2F
    Fair play? Or stooping to Marvel's level?
    While I can see DC wanting to get "revenge" for some of Marvel's previous aggressive tactics, it's still dirty pool imo. It may not be illegal, but it's definitely ethically challenged. The sad thing is I'm so Twitter challenged(I signed up for an account years ago due to a couple friends spurring me on but have yet to make one tweet), I don't even know how beneficial it would be for DC in the first place.

GØDLAND, Butcher Baker the Righteous Maker, Morning Glories, Chew, The Boys, and Invincible are all books I read in some format (mostly trade) that I think are pretty solid.
    I've been meaning to try Chew for awhile now. I hear nothing but good things.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; September 13, 2011 at 09:08pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

Villainous Marauder Monkeyboy Prime's Avatar
    In an attempt to get some life back into this thread...

Skull-Kickers, Walking Dead, Gladstones School for World Conquerors, Dungeons and Dragons, All the G.I. Joe books, Chew (in trades), Invincible(in trades), The Boys, I just picked up two Locke & Key trades; really cool, Hellboy, B.P.R.D, Witch-finder, and Baltimore.

I feel like I'm missing some good books.....
    When will we get our Songster figure Mattel???

While I can see DC wanting to get "revenge" for some of Marvel's previous aggressive tactics, it's still dirty pool imo. It may not be illegal, but it's definitely ethically challenged. The sad thing is I'm so Twitter challenged(I signed up for an account years ago due to a couple friends spurring me on but have yet to make one tweet), I don't even know how beneficial it would be for DC in the first place.
    Yeah, that's kinda what I thought too...
    but I don't know/care about twitter either, so whatever.

I've been meaning to try Chew for awhile now. I hear nothing but good things.
    It's a pretty cool book. I've read the first three trades and the fourth one comes out next week I think.
    Volume one is only $9.99 if I recall correctly, so you should try it out and see what you think.

What non-DC stuff do you already read?

What non-DC stuff do you already read?
    I get some licensed books(G.I. Joe, Planet Of The Apes, Warlord Of Mars), the occasional Archie Comic(What can I say? I'm a sucker for its retro family fun when most books these days are violent and/or snarky), and some Image(Marineman & I just picked up Vescell #1 for the art), Dark Horse(Usagi Yojimbo), & Dynamite(Kirby Universe). I need to trim my pull list though since I currently have more books that I haven't read than have. I'm still trying to determine if this new DCU is for me or if I'm going to drop it like I did Marvel.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I get some licensed books(G.I. Joe, Planet Of The Apes, Warlord Of Mars), the occasional Archie Comic(What can I say? I'm a sucker for its retro family fun when most books these days are violent and/or snarky), and some Image(Marineman & I just picked up Vescell #1 for the art), Dark Horse(Usagi Yojimbo), & Dynamite(Kirby Universe). I need to trim my pull list though since I currently have more books that I haven't read than have. I'm still trying to determine if this new DCU is for me or if I'm going to drop it like I did Marvel.
    Are you a long time Warlord of Mars fan? Marvel just solicited an omnibus of the older series that looks pretty cool.

Also, I forgot to mention I am totally looking forward to Frank Cho's upcoming Guns and Dinos mini at Image.
    There's a preview/interview up at comicbookresources right now.

Are you a long time Warlord of Mars fan? Marvel just solicited an omnibus of the older series that looks pretty cool.
    I like the idea of it, but I've never read any of the past books or comics. All I really know is it was created by Tarzan's creator & is similar to Buck Rogers. I basically gave the book a try due to the Joe Jusko covers(even though no nudity is involved, they might be too adult for this site). I'd be more interested in the Marvel reprints rather than the tie-ins to the new Disney movie since the art just isn't my style.

Also, I forgot to mention I am totally looking forward to Frank Cho's upcoming Guns and Dinos mini at Image.
    There's a preview/interview up at comicbookresources right now.
    I'm going to check out both Guns & Dinos(I loved Xenozoic Tales/Cadillacs & Dinosaurs as a kid) and Brutal by Cho. I even got the 50 Girls 50 book he co-created since the artist on it looks exactly like his art.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Wild...

I get the Warlord of Mars books too. (I'm a sucker for Dejah Thoris)

Vescell was fun as hell! I like the protagonist's lover who's trapped in "hell". She's funny.

I also dig Marineman and Mega Man too.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I like the idea of it, but I've never read any of the past books or comics. All I really know is it was created by Tarzan's creator & is similar to Buck Rogers. I basically gave the book a try due to the Joe Jusko covers(even though no nudity is involved, they might be too adult for this site). I'd be more interested in the Marvel reprints rather than the tie-ins to the new Disney movie since the art just isn't my style.
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...316%26sr%3D8-1

That's the whole 28 issues and 3 annuals of the old series in one hardcover.
    Looks pretty awesome, and the credits certainly have some solid names.
    I think it's out next February?

EDIT: I just realized Dark Horse collected the same thing in a single softcover (like their omnibus stuff) but in black and white.
    Might check that out first and see if the material warrants a big spendy hardcover.

I'm going to check out both Guns & Dinos(I loved Xenozoic Tales/Cadillacs & Dinosaurs as a kid) and Brutal by Cho. I even got the 50 Girls 50 book he co-created since the artist on it looks exactly like his art.
    Right on. Cho is awesome... and I love dinosaurs!