Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Official" Superhero & Comic Book Thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Wild...

I get the Warlord of Mars books too. (I'm a sucker for Dejah Thoris)

Vescell was fun as hell! I like the protagonist's lover who's trapped in "hell". She's funny.

I also dig Marineman and Mega Man too.
    I haven't read Vescell yet(I almost didn't even pick it up to flip through at the store), but as soon as I saw the art, it went on my stack. I've also been picking up Mega Man as well. I'm not a big gamer these days, but I still enjoy the classic platform characters.

See, except for MOTU, we agree more often than not.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    The new Ultimate Spider-Man is 4 dollar toilet paper. I never destroyed a comic til I went through that, then it was put through a paper shredder. And honestly it felt pretty good to do it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor's Only Fan View Post
    The new Ultimate Spider-Man is 4 dollar toilet paper. I never destroyed a comic til I went through that, then it was put through a paper shredder. And honestly it felt pretty good to do it too.
    Is it bad due to quality or due to Bendis replacing Peter?

JOIN THE GROUP...

I thought it was an overly confusing 1st issue - both in terms of timeline and character introductions. Its taking decompression to a whole new level.

But I'm intrigued enough by the new kid to stick with it - and Sara Pichelli's art is gorgeous.

It was really just unnecessary. It was Peter's origin done over again, really.
    if they were gonna do that there really was no need to either kill Peter or keep the book going.
    And truthfully I personally think the art sucked. Not worth the oversaturation of media at all, not even for the point of a new ethnic hero. Which ain't that big of a deal, there's been and will be plenty. My big beef was create a new hero don't kill and replace a legacy for the sake of it.

My big beef was create a new hero don't kill and replace a legacy for the sake of it.
    That doesn't bother me at all. I love that Marvel has an alternate universe where the characters can age, die, retire, etc. Its a great compliment to the actual Marvel Universe.

While DC is guilty of this more often than Marvel, Spider-Man is probably the highest profile character that this has happened to. It's almost a catch-22. A lot of people won't give new characters a chance which makes it harder to bring in more minority characters(at least those who are superheroes & headline books). They have a better chance with this if they put a minority character into the costume of an already established hero. Unfortunately, at the same time, they just tick off fans of the hero's previous identity. It still makes me mad that Ted Kord & Professor Stein have to stay dead in order for DC to keep trying to make their replacements popular.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    While DC is guilty of this more often than Marvel, Spider-Man is probably the highest profile character that this has happened to. It's almost a catch-22. A lot of people won't give new characters a chance which makes it harder to bring in more minority characters(at least those who are superheroes & headline books). They have a better chance with this if they put a minority character into the costume of an already established hero. Unfortunately, at the same time, they just tick off fans of the hero's previous identity. It still makes me mad that Ted Kord & Professor Stein have to stay dead in order for DC to keep trying to make their replacements popular.
    The difference being that Peter Parker is still Spider-Man in the "real" Marvel Universe.

I'll be honest, one of the things I used to love about Marvel was that the "real" universe was it. Now with Ultimates we're on the threshold of this becoming 80's DC kinda stuff where everytime someone ( okay let's be honest,just Bendis) gets an itch, BAM! a new universe will pop up and in a decade it'll be Marvel's turn for "Crisis on Infinite Earths"

Plus I never counted, how many books is Bendis on right now? Because I think it's one or ten too many.

I'll be honest, one of the things I used to love about Marvel was that the "real" universe was it. Now with Ultimates we're on the threshold of this becoming 80's DC kinda stuff where everytime someone ( okay let's be honest,just Bendis) gets an itch, BAM! a new universe will pop up and in a decade it'll be Marvel's turn for "Crisis on Infinite Earths"

Plus I never counted, how many books is Bendis on right now? Because I think it's one or ten too many.
    Marvel may not use them as much as DC does theirs, but they have always had a bunch of universes. In fact, the Ultimate Universe is one of the few(if not only one) that hasn't really crossed over with 616.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Not directly anyways, Zombies has crossed over with both as I recall.

I gave up on the Ulimate universe shortly after ultimatum. I don't have much of a desire to read the new Spider-man because it seems like the announcement was read the all new Spider-man he's half black half Hispanic and gay. We would have made him female also but then he would overload you with his minoritines.

Had a kid in a class come up to yesterday ask me what I thought, he didn't sound overly impressed with the character. Btw said kid is Hispanic.

I don't mind they killed Peter Parker off, tell the story let the news media find out about and let people tell others about it. That's how you get people to buy your these things, by holding a press conference you just come off as a much of old white haired men who are out of touch.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I didn't buy it. With all the damage that Loeb and Bendis have done through Ultimates 3, Ultimatum and Death of Ultimate Spider-Man, now the Ultimate Universe could burn for all I care. The Ultimate U is turning into a land of strangers, replacing the characters that I cared about. Part of the thrill of the Ultimate books was discovering the differences from the 616 Marvel characters.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I didn't buy it. With all the damage that Loeb and Bendis have done through Ultimates 3, Ultimatum and Death of Ultimate Spider-Man, now the Ultimate Universe could burn for all I care. The Ultimate U is turning into a land of strangers, replacing the characters that I cared about. Part of the thrill of the Ultimate books was discovering the differences from the 616 Marvel characters.
    Yeah, I stopped caring about the Ultimate Universe a while back.
    I think Ultimates 3 was the last thing I got... and that was awful.

It was good in its infancy, but it quickly outgrew it's utility. Unfortunately, there's no way around that...
    It was cool because it didn't have all the continuity and anything could happen. But then after a few years, it had about as much continuity concerns as 616, and most of the stories were just rehashes of classic Marvel tales.

Oh well, at least Ultimates 1 and 2 are still around for me to re-read, and I have the first 7 or so hardcovers of Ultimate Spider-Man.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Not directly anyways, Zombies has crossed over with both as I recall.
    Hence my using the words "hasn't really".

JOIN THE GROUP...

I think it's five... Avengers, New Avengers, Moon Knight, Ultimate Spider-Man, and Scarlet.
    But maybe there's one or two more I'm forgetting?

I remember when he said taking on Moon Knight wasn't going to affect the schedule for Scarlet.
    I didn't believe that for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Hence my using the words "hasn't really".
    They also gave the Ultimate Universe a number in their multiverse. It upset some people for some reason this somehow taints Ultimate because somehow 616 continuity is part of Ultimate Continuity or some such.

It was more before someone asked than anything.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    I think it's five... Avengers, New Avengers, Moon Knight, Ultimate Spider-Man, and Scarlet.
    But maybe there's one or two more I'm forgetting?

I remember when he said taking on Moon Knight wasn't going to affect the schedule for Scarlet.
    I didn't believe that for a second.
    Moon Knight is off to a surprisingly good start - but Bendis has always been much better at solo books than team ones. And I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Maleev is the reason for the delays on Scarlet. I don't get taking a guy who isn't fast enough to do 1 book and having him work on 2...

Marvel is on a serious roll with their relaunches of Daredevil, Punisher and Moon Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Maleev is the reason for the delays on Scarlet. I don't get taking a guy who isn't fast enough to do 1 book and having him work on 2...
    Oh, I'm sure that's true.
    But it doesn't change the fact that he swore it wouldn't be a problem six months ago in the letters page for Scarlet #4 (I think) and only 1 issue has come out since then.

Again, not that I believed that for a second. It just seems silly to take an artist that struggled with keeping a single monthly on time and try to give him a monthly AND a bimonthly title to work on.

I often see a lot of complaints about characters being written "out-of-character". What current interpretations do you feel have this problem?

In order to keep things slightly positive, for every negative example, please provide a positive example of the way a character is being written.

Poorly Written: Moon Knight

I've always loved Moon Knight(at times even more than Batman), but I am disgusted with the way he's been treated in recent years. First he was killed off, then he was brought back by Charles Huston as a sociopath who cuts the skin off of villain's faces ala Hannibal Lecter, and now he's being wasted by, imho, the most untalented "popular" writer currently working in comics. Since Bendis often has trouble selling books not starring "big name characters"(Spider-Woman for example), lets have Moon Knight "possessed" by Spider-Man, Captain America, & Wolverine. Utter **** imo. It also kills me that the character is now so unhinged that his alternate identities previously used to aid in his fight are now around due to him being as crazy as The Joker.

Written Well: Batman

So far, I've liked that Batman's anti-social demeanor has been toned down in the New 52 books at DC. Sure, he may not be as social as Superman used to be, but he is still a far cry from the exaggerated unlikable control freak that he's been written as most of the time since Frank Miller got ahold of him.

JOIN THE GROUP...

So I have been reading some collected trades I picked up that were of "older title's." I might be going this route for most of comic reading now. While the trades I was reading did skip issues as they were telling a story that partially told over time, there is just something about reading comics that way. While the story isn't/wasn't always finished I felt like I read a full story.

That and I can read characters I just no longer quite care for. It just feels most of this was people telling a story for people who wanted to read not trying to bring in people. Half way through the Spier-man vs Silver Sable I liked the Vs. Black Cat. Might be look for more stuff from the 80s and before. I will still probably read certain modern titles but it just doesn't excite me and I find myself getting behind just to read it all at once to catch up anyways.
    ***edit***
    So I just read the news that they were splitting the X-men into two teams.... again. Wait there has only been one team of X-men, man I must be behind last I checked there were like 3ish (depending on if you count things like X-factor etc).
    Last edited by wyldman11; September 27, 2011 at 01:09pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I don't follow Marvel anymore and even when I did, I wasn't a big X-Men fan. Having said that, I didn't think multiple X-Men teams was that big a deal. I thought it's been going on since the 90's?

JOIN THE GROUP...

http://www.comicvine.com/news/marvel...-and-2/143634/

Reading more into it, it's less a second team and more a faction. But even that isn't exactly a good term. Schism split the X-men based on something, and Cyclops is leading a group and Wolverine split off and has formed his own team. Guess it would be like Magneto and Xavier, so something like idealogy but the means probably aren't completely different.

Not sure as I haven't read anything from Marvel that has come out in the last year, and from 616 in nearly two years.

X-men is one of those funny ones for me I like several characters, I like the concept but often are meh when I read most of their stories.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    X-men is one of those funny ones for me I like several characters, I like the concept but often are meh when I read most of their stories.
    I'm similar. I liked quite a few mutants as a kid(Wolverine, Beast, Kitty Pride, Nightcrawler, Cable) and even some of the spinoff books(Alpha Flight, X-Factor, X-Force), but the few times I read the main 2 X-Men books, I just didn't "feel" it. I also felt it was odd that "muties" were hated by the general public, but the Avengers were loved. Some of the Avengers were not only mutants(Beast, Scarlet Witch), but they were also just as weird looking as the X-Men(Tigra, Vision)

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Kick-Ass #4 was insane and friggin' BRUTAL!

This is what happens when the bad guys learn who the hero's "supporting cast" is.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Villainous Marauder Monkeyboy Prime's Avatar
    Kick-Ass #4 was insane and friggin' BRUTAL!

This is what happens when the bad guys learn who the hero's "supporting cast" is.
    DUDE! That was insane! I know that Kick-Ass is suppose to be a crazy, brutal book but dude...

Do other people here read books about comics? I really love the new Morrison SuperGods book, and I also really like The Ten Cent Plague. Any other good books about comics I might not have read?
    When will we get our Songster figure Mattel???