Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Official" Superhero & Comic Book Thread!!!

which is why the 80s series was the best
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

I'm most surprised that DC didn't at least wait until these books went to trades to make this cut. I know a lot of fans couldn't keep up with the glut of books out there, but there were titles a lot of people said they'd wait until the trade to check out. I've been lobbying hard for 'I, Vampire' and a lot of people I talk to about that book say that's what they were planning. Needless to say, I'm relieved that book survived the culling.

I'm sad that the only two books starring solo African Americans were among the first to go. Mister Terrific wasn't very good unfortunately. I enjoyed the first couple of issues of Static, but it was one I had to drop just due to the sheer volume of stuff I have to read in order to review. I probably would have picked up the trade on that one though. O.M.A.C. seemed to have the deck stacked against it from the beginning. It seemed like no one was interested in it. I read the first couple of issues and they were okay. Better than I thought they'd be, at least. But again, I have to read so much, I don't have time for just okay.

The two military books were just boring. Not sad to see them go, but I doubt GI Combat is going to do any better than these two did!

The description for Dial H is that different people will gain powers, so it sounds almost like an anthology without one main character, which I don't think will work. I'll definitely try the first issue out, though.

I am excited about Earth 2 and World's Finest!

Teen Titans is awful! It doesn't deserve a spin-off, but Ian Churchill will be a perfect fit since everything Titans reeks of the 90s and his style suits that. Let me get out my 3rd Eye Blind cds and rock out while I read this. Kidding, I'm not going to read this. (Unless my editor makes me, in which case I may in fact listen to 3rd Eye Blind while reading it.)

I don't really have room in my life for Batman Inc and besides, Scott the other reviewer for the site, is all over the Bat books, so I'm sure he'll want that one anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    I'm sad that the only two books starring solo African Americans were among the first to go.
    Batwing is still going and that stars a black hero. Although, if we're going to look at the loss of minority comics, O.M.A.C. featured an Asian lead and I don't believe either of the "Big 2" features one right now.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

The description for Dial H is that different people will gain powers, so it sounds almost like an anthology without one main character, which I don't think will work. I'll definitely try the first issue out, though.
    That's how the most recent series worked, and it was very good.

Teen Titans is awful! It doesn't deserve a spin-off, but Ian Churchill will be a perfect fit since everything Titans reeks of the 90s and his style suits that. Let me get out my 3rd Eye Blind cds and rock out while I read this. Kidding, I'm not going to read this. (Unless my editor makes me, in which case I may in fact listen to 3rd Eye Blind while reading it.)
    I hope Churchill doesn't go back to his Image style. He only drew that way to get work. If you look at his current creator owned book "MARINEMAN", he's drawing in his more "natural" style.

I always liked the DC "Swoosh", just not as much as the DC "Bullet".

I can honestly say, I don't think I'll ever like this new logo of DC's...

JOIN THE GROUP...

Oh well I think I'll just go back to reading my 80's Dial H collection and just give this new one a miss because it sounds really lame

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I am excited about Earth 2 and World's Finest!
    Me too! Power Girl FTW! Hopefully she isn't altered too badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Batwing is still going and that stars a black hero. Although, if we're going to look at the loss of minority comics, O.M.A.C. featured an Asian lead and I don't believe either of the "Big 2" features one right now.
    The Ray is Asian and the book is filled with "minorities", but that's a 4-issue limited series. Voodoo and Batwing are the only black leads left.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I hope Churchill doesn't go back to his Image style. He only drew that way to get work. If you look at his current creator owned book "MARINEMAN", he's drawing in his more "natural" style.
    I liked his "Image style". I thought his Marineman style was too cartoony for Hulk, but it worked for Marineman since it was Churchill's own character.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

He's African, not African American, though. But his book is actually very good. And yeah, OMAC was an Asian American. Is anyone else reading The Ray?! I completely LOVE it and it stars a Korean American hero, his Caucasian parents, his African American best friend and his Indian girlfriend! That's more diversity than most team books! But it's just truly excellent!
    Last edited by Wonderboy_JMB; January 13, 2012 at 05:35pm.

He's African, not African American, though.
    That's why I said "black". I honestly figured we were going by ethnicities and not American minorities. Still, I can't blame DC for cancelling them if people didn't buy the books. I honestly figured I, Vampire would have been one of the first to go as well.

Is anyone else reading The Ray?!
    I am, but was just going to risk getting all 4 issues before reading it. It looked fun when I flipped through it though. I did like The Ray from the 90's, but all JoeyQ designs don't belong in The New 52.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The Ray is Asian and the book is filled with "minorities", but that's a 4-issue limited series. Voodoo and Batwing are the only black leads left.
    Was Voodoo always black? I bought WildC.A.T.S. back in the day and was still shocked when people recently mentioned that she was black.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I liked his "Image style". I thought his Marineman style was too cartoony for Hulk, but it worked for Marineman since it was Churchill's own character.
    I agree. I LOVE Ed McGuiness(I'm still ticked DC let him leave for Marvel), but Churchill's art in Marineman seemed like an even more over the top version of McG's art. It looks like a kid's book where the characters fingers were the size of their big toes. I'll take his "Image" art over that.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; January 13, 2012 at 05:56pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

It's a stick situation, if they don't cancel now they have to basically do ~6 more issues to try to get enough for the next trade. I see them basically making decisions in that frame, with them announcing it around issue 4 of the cycle.

So doing this now means they don't have to setup for a second trade that may or may not go.

DC applying for a new Trademark
    dc1.jpg
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/01/...ets-logo-here/

Rob Liefeld to take over Deathstroke, The Savage Hawkman, and The Grifter.
    http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/0...wkman-grifter/

smh
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Is anyone else reading The Ray?! I completely LOVE it and it stars a Korean American hero, his Caucasian parents, his African American best friend and his Indian girlfriend! That's more diversity than most team books! But it's just truly excellent!
    Yeah, I like the Ray too! For those reasons, actually.

Was Voodoo always black? I bought WildC.A.T.S. back in the day and was still shocked when people recently mentioned that she was black.
    She was, but Jim Lee, J. Scott Campbell, Al Rio and other artists usually drew her without too many ethnic features.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    DC applying for a new Trademark

Rob Liefeld to take over Deathstroke, The Savage Hawkman, and The Grifter.

smh
    Rob Liefeld is living proof that it's great to be this very nice guy with friends in high places in the comics industry. While I'm a fan of his back in the day work, it's astonishing how he's able to land MULTIPLE gigs over more deserving creators.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I think it is kinda funny that Rob is going to do Deathstroke when one of his most famous creations, Deadpool, is basically a homage / parody of him (as well as being one of the only good things Rob Liefeld had anything to do with)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    I think it is kinda funny that Rob is going to do Deathstroke when one of his most famous creations, Deadpool, is basically a homage / parody of him (as well as being one of the only good things Rob Liefeld had anything to do with)
    It is ironic in away. I do hope that nothing more than a passing joke is made now then, but chances are I won't be picking up the book.

I do understand why he gets work, but he is notoriously late and putting him on three books will mean that is more than likely to happen. I will be curious to see what happens to sales of those books when he takes over.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Did DC think the sales on Hawk & Dove were low due to the writing or the popularity of the characters? I'm surprised they're putting Liefeld on 3 books right after his first New 52 book was cancelled. I'm especially surprised that he'll be doing the plotting/writing on them. Cable is one of the few things he's created that wasn't a blatant "homage" of other characters. Liefeld is proof that not everything I loved in my youth gets an automatic pass from me. Although I'd like to be surprised to find out he has some good ideas for these books.

I don't know where these people were when the film was at the theaters, but I have to say I agree(although X-Men: First Class was a close second)...

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2012/01...80%99s-choice/

JOIN THE GROUP...

Did DC think the sales on Hawk & Dove were low due to the writing or the popularity of the characters?
    Not entirely surprising with the way people at that level think and we have those conversations now and then, female lead movies and Warner Brothers (being the parent company may be linked here). But largely it's what Megagear said. There was a point in time when people would buy his stuff because they liked it, then people would buy it to rubberneck the awful, now people just refuse to buy it often dropping books they have been faithful to for years. Granted the pocket book may have something to do with the last change.

bad language is bleeped
    Last edited by wyldman11; January 16, 2012 at 07:32pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

found this on Youtube and I so agree with everything it says

I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    I'm a little late on this but, POWER GIRL!!! WHOO HOO!!

I watched the UFC show on FX over the weekend and caught the UFC debut of Mike "The Hulk" Easton. I only mention it because I was really amazed at how much he embraced the nerdiness of his nickname.

He walked in wearing a t-shirt with green hulk abs on it, and he wore purple trunks for his fight. But my favorite thing was that, when he was introduced, he stepped forward and did the Hulk clap! Loved it!

mike-easton.jpg
    IMG_1115-1024x682.jpg
    hulkthunderclapeu9-1.jpg

JOIN THE GROUP...

Evil Master of Warcraft
    nerd rage.jpg

I really REALLY hate that logo.

Seriously where to we go to leave feedback to DC comics on how awful it is......
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

As much as this is going to make me sound like the stereotypical irrational comic geek, I'm thinking of dropping my DC comics. Besides all of the time & money that it would free up for me, I just can't get over the number of asinine decisions they've been making lately. While the latest probably won't bother most people, it really ticked me off after reading it here...

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/geof...am-120126.html

Captain Marvel is getting a new costume(please let Jim Lee have nothing to do with it; he's a good artist but awful with costume designs) and will now be called Shazam from now on. I don't know how many more dumb moves I can take from them.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; January 27, 2012 at 01:47pm.

JOIN THE GROUP...

"Johns: Well, there are a lot of reasons for the change. One is that everybody thinks he's called Shazam already, outside of comics. It's also, for all sorts of reasons, calling him Shazam just made sense for us. And, you know, every comic book he's in right now has Shazam on the cover. So I think just by embracing that and calling him Shazam."

I think that's the gist of it. It's always been a pet peeve of mine when outsiders called him that, but the fact that DC can't produce anything with "Marvel" on it hasn't helped. His show was called "Shazam." Every piece of merchandising says "Shazam." I guess I can see the idea behind the change, but I wonder if that means he'll have a different magic word now. Otherwise he runs into the old Captain Marvel Junior problem of not being able to actually say his own name.

I understand Johns' reasoning(although it sounds like something you'd hear from a TV/Movie producer explaining why the character they are adapting no longer resembles the source material), but 2 things bother me about that.

1) Captain Marvel is, imo, right up there with Superman, Batman, & Wonder Woman in terms of important Golden Age characters. If this was Booster Gold getting a name change, I'd be less irate. Changing Marvel's name is heresy imo.

2) As crappy as I think it is that DC can't even use the name of the character on covers due to Marvel creating a c-lister who not only is dead but first appeared decades after Billy Batson's alter ego, getting rid of the name entirely is almost like saying Marvel won.

I know some people don't like him, but Johns has always been my type of comic writer(if you ignore the extreme gore I wish he'd leave out of his books). He embraces the history of comics and uses continuity all while embracing new ideas & creations. I never thought he'd be the one to go with renaming such a classic character. Although, after reading his last issue of Justice League, I'm not sure what to expect from him anymore.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I don't really know much about Captain Marvel outside of the LJU cartoon and that animated short with him, Superman and Black Adam and even I think a name change is stupid. Sure I can understand them starting from scratch to entice new readers but they should at least keep his name. Oh and if the problem is all the merchandise and stuff has always had the word Shazam on it well then that is their own fault, it is not as if they couldn't have put the words "Captain Marvel" on all these things instead of Shazam

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    I don't really know much about Captain Marvel outside of the LJU cartoon and that animated short with him, Superman and Black Adam and even I think a name change is stupid. Sure I can understand them starting from scratch to entice new readers but they should at least keep his name. Oh and if the problem is all the merchandise and stuff has always had the word Shazam on it well then that is their own fault, it is not as if they couldn't have put the words "Captain Marvel" on all these things instead of Shazam
    Marvel trademarked the name. Marvel is very jerkfaced when it comes to copyright, I mean they sued the WWF for Hulk Hogan. In fact Marvel's Captain Marvel was pretty much just made so they could trademark the name and prevent DC from using the name on a comic cover.