Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: The "Official" Superhero & Comic Book Thread!!!

My favorite Ms. Marvel costume is this less sexed up version...

...of her original costume...

I hate the sash on her black costume and feel it looks a little too bland. I also find it funny that even though Marvel claims to be the "realisitic" universe, she's been wearing a mask for awhile even though her identity is publically known. At least Captain America does that since he's a symbol of a America. What's her excuse?

I don't dislike the new Ms Marvel costume(although she looks pretty butch compared to her overly curvy feminine design from before), but it looks like Marvel, since they can't seem to publish any of the comics people wanted of the UK Captain Marvel/Shazam "homage", have tuned her into Ms Miracleman/Marvelman to help fill that spot.

After having seen Warbird again, I'm reminded that Olivier Coipel is Marvel's Jim Lee; a good artist who can't design costumes for ****. All of his Avengers costumes from a few years back and even "tin foil Thor" are awful imo.

I do think the new new Power Girl costume is better than the one first shown a few weeks ago...

The blue really adds to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Ugh...is it me, or are comics books trying their damndest not to be comic books?
    I think so. Marvel did it(no secret identities, continuity became a 4-letter word, the comics are made to look like the TV shows or movies, a lot of the costumes are made to look like they are from the "real world") because they were a company full of people embarassed by superheroes(JoeyQ said he didn't pick up his first "graphic novel" until after college and current EIC AxelA said in interviews prior to working at Marvel that he hated superheroes). DC has started leaning more that way because they seem to be trying to be more like Marvel. Imo, that's not going to save them. A lot of people got into the New 52 because of the hype and some have even stayed with the company. Superman wearing briefs or the heroes acting like heroes was not what kept DC from outselling Marvel. Imo, it's because Marvel, for better or worse, has a better publicity machine as well as the fact that some comic fans are closed minded & stubborn enough to keep writing DC off as the company they were in the Silver Age.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; March 19, 2012 at 01:45pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I also find it funny that even though Marvel claims to be the "realisitic" universe, she's been wearing a mask for awhile even though her identity is publically known. At least Captain America does that since he's a symbol of a America. What's her excuse?
    It's like Wolverine. He wears a mask and everyone and their mother knows who he is and what he looks like under there.

Wow. Is everyone in the MU publically known now except for Spider-Man and Daredevil?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

It's like Wolverine. He wears a mask and everyone and their mother knows who he is and what he looks like under there.

Wow. Is everyone in the MU publically known now except for Spider-Man and Daredevil?
    I don't know for sure, but when I finally stopped reading their books, most secret identities were gone. Even Spidey was without one before the deal with a demon(or whatever Mephisto is classified as these days) and Daredevil has an asterix next to his(a lot of people feel Matt is Daredevil even though he's tried to persuade them he isn't).

JOIN THE GROUP...

I think they should have left her hair long, maybe left her upper legs exposed.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

That's Power Girl? She looks like she is in her 50's
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

I'm going to have to wait to see it in action or at least from the front...

...but I already think I like it better than the Smallville Green Arrow costume.

JOIN THE GROUP...

What is that from? (and yes I know it is Green Arrow)

CW's upcoming Arrow TV series.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Oh great another angry superhero
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Another reinvention of a bright and happy character into a dark and angry character because obviously we need more of that.
    Did you guys read The Ray miniseries by Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti with art by Jamal Igle? Because they truly took his light powers as an inspiration to create a positive, optimistic, FUN super hero comic. The supporting cast was excellent. The villain was kind of wacky and odd. But overall, I loved the heck out of it! Unfortunately, the miniseries didn't sell that well, so it's unlikely it'll be revived as an ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    Did you guys read The Ray miniseries by Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti with art by Jamal Igle? Because they truly took his light powers as an inspiration to create a positive, optimistic, FUN super hero comic. The supporting cast was excellent. The villain was kind of wacky and odd. But overall, I loved the heck out of it! Unfortunately, the miniseries didn't sell that well, so it's unlikely it'll be revived as an ongoing.
    I agree. At first I was disappointed that Ray Terrill wasn't The Ray in this(although since he was co-created by JoeyQ, that's a good thing), but I came to really like it. It's a shame that fun comics & super heroes rarely do well in print, on TV, or in the theater. We were already told that Ambush Bug isn't going to be a part of the New 52 and I'm sure Blue Devil, another fun character that I love, won't either. Or if he is, he'll probably eat kittens for nourishment and spit blood at villains.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Never heard of The Ray so you may take that as a no

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I agree. At first I was disappointed that Ray Terrill wasn't The Ray in this(although since he was co-created by JoeyQ, that's a good thing), but I came to really like it. It's a shame that fun comics & super heroes rarely do well in print, on TV, or in the theater. We were already told that Ambush Bug isn't going to be a part of the New 52 and I'm sure Blue Devil, another fun character that I love, won't either. Or if he is, he'll probably eat kittens for nourishment and spit blood at villains.
    I liked the Ray too. I loved the fun and diversity in that book.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I wasn't aware of it.

I'm curious to see what superhero movies you guys & gals are looking forward to this summer?

I wasn't a fan of Ghost Rider 2 at all, but am really looking forward to Amazing Spider-Man(way more than I thought I would). The Dark Knight Rises & Avengers look like more of the same from each respective franchise. Maybe they'll surprise me, but neither trailer has really wowed me at all.

JOIN THE GROUP...

What all is coming out this year? I passed on Ghost Rider 2 (will watch it later most likely). Dark Knight and Avengers might get me out.

I rarely fully skip a comic book movie.
    Last edited by wyldman11; March 22, 2012 at 06:44pm.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    What all is coming out this year?
    Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I think it's only Spidey, Batman, & Avengers.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Oh, yeah I might go out for Spider-man also.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I've loved all the movies so far leading up to the Avengers. I'm interested in seeing it, but I haven't seen anything yet about it that just blows me away making me want to see it. Yeah I'm excited, but I could be more.

Dark Knight - LOVE the first two movies. I've seen the Prologue with Bane....and well...I just don't get it. I really can't stand his voice. So far, it's been a turn off.

Spider Man - Doesn't look interesting to me at all. Too soon? I dunno.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

I loved Batman Begins & liked The Dark Knight, but I'm fine with this upcoming one being Nolan's last. Nothing about the new movie makes me either excited or hope Nolan reconsiders leaving the franchise. While I've liked some of his movies, I'm kind of "Nolaned" out these days.

I loved Iron Man and liked Incredible Hulk, but was not a fan of any of the 3 movies after it. Avengers trailer looks like Tansformers 4 Meets The Ultimates to me. Maybe Whedon will surprise me since I loved his last movie, but so far, I'm contemplating skipping the movie entirely.

I loved the first Spider-Man movie but did not like its 2 sequels. When I heard about the reboot, I really thought it was too soon. When I heard about the casting(does every American icon need to be played by a Brit these days or, in Green Lantern's case, a Canadian?) & saw the costume "upgrade", I really didn't want to see it. The trailer on the other hand had me excited.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I'm looking forward to the Avengers the most. The trailers look really epic.

The Dark Knight Rises is another one I'm looking forward to. I'm interested to see how the story ends. I hope it will end on a happy note. With Catwoman present, they could go for a golden age ending. I'd hate to see the story end with Bruce either dead or crippled.

Amazing Spider-Man, on the other hand looks pretty meh. I'll definitely go see it, since I'm a fan of Spidey, but the trailers make this look like an origin movie, and we've already seen the origin in Spidey 1. No need to retread ground.
    The Lizard was a nice choice for villain though. We haven't seen him in live-action yet, and the previous two Spidey movies kept teasing us about a potential Lizard appearance.

On another note... Marvel Season One graphic novels. Anyone read these?
    They retell the origins and beginnings of various Marvel heroes. Unlike DC's Earth One which are out of continuity, Season One graphic novels are part of mainstream Marvel continuity, and are based on the original Stan Lee/Jack Kirby comics of the 60's.
    Fantastic Four and X-Men have been released so far. Next month will see the release of Daredevil, and the month after that Spider-Man.
    Marvel also announced further Season One titles: Ant-Man, Hulk and Doctor Strange.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

I just came across these by Igor Kieryluk. I'm not the world's biggest Bat-fan nor do I love Elseworlds, but I'd love to see something done with these...

BATMAN

TWO-FACE

JOKER

CATWOMAN

Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; March 30, 2012 at 10:56pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

I liked the Ray too. I loved the fun and diversity in that book.
    Yeah I ended up enjoying that book, and liked how it ended with another tease with a possible Freedom Fighters lead-in...but I'm pessimistic with the New-90sDCU would Uncle Sam even fit here, and I somehow get the feeling Phantom Lady will be in a full Matrixy black leather outfit with green goggles being the only tie0in to her previous look, and Jim Lee will be like, "Sorry, our quota for sexed up ladies in the New52 has already been reached !"
    Last edited by theblock; March 30, 2012 at 11:18pm. Reason: missed quote
    Visit my art page at: http://theblock.deviantart.com/ , if you like my work and have an account there to, feel free to fave or watch me, I could use the street cred !

My new chant: Lets go NA MARA, spike-flail pon-y-tail

Has anyone read Avengers VS X-Men #0 or #1 yet? I know I've been hard on the current Marvel regime in the past, but I'm legitimately curious about the event.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Has anyone read Avengers VS X-Men #0 or #1 yet? I know I've been hard on the current Marvel regime in the past, but I'm legitimately curious about the event.
    I flipped through it myself, even though I don't follow Marvel comics anymore. I did like seeing this new chick Hope take on the Serpent Society by herself (what is it with superheroes and having one mandatory snake-themed group of foes), and I will say that it was the first time I've ever seen Anaconda drawn so ladylike in..EVER. but then that's what I expect from Frank Cho; the MAN! Seriously, securing him was one of the smarter moves by Marvel, WAY better then Jim Lee IMHO!
    Visit my art page at: http://theblock.deviantart.com/ , if you like my work and have an account there to, feel free to fave or watch me, I could use the street cred !

My new chant: Lets go NA MARA, spike-flail pon-y-tail

We're getting a Phantom Lady mini-series from DC Comics...

Maybe it's just me, but, outside of its colors & missing cape, this looks more like a costume upgrade for Power Girl than Phantom Lady.

JOIN THE GROUP...