Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Official" Superhero & Comic Book Thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

Fraction's Thor#1 has Asgardians in medieval SPACE SUITS! I thought Copiel's artwork (which is why I brought it) would save it, but Fraction's wacky ideas counteract this.
    I had read somewhere that Fraction's Thor was doing well. So when I read your statement here I was a bit curious, seems Thor is doing well mostly because of the artist. Or people reading it because they don't want to drop the title because for some reason the decision makers often don't realize a drop in sales isn't about the character but the person writing.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

The GOOD new: Marvel is going to have a free MMO game.

The BAD news: it is going to be written by the guy who doesn't know a thing about the Marvel Universe.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...e%26id%3D32112
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Loeb? Quesada? The guy who replaced Quesada? or Bendis?

And Bendis is the winner...

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I don't think it's fair to say Bendis doesn't know anything about the Marvel U.
    Hell, he's written about 5 years of it...

I know what you mean, though...
    But who would you have do it that would be better?
    Bill :: guitargod694

I'm not a big David Goyer fan. His works by himself have been different degrees of awful imo while his works with the Nolan brothers have been extremely overrated. This Superman story makes me hope he doesn't go back to comic writing anytime soon...

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ing-america%2F

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    I don't think it's fair to say Bendis doesn't know anything about the Marvel U.
    Hell, he's written about 5 years of it...
    If you or someone else is a fan of his comics, that's one thing. I find him to be a poor writer but I'm not going to fault anyone if they like him. If you base how his new stories "synch up" with past stories(anything from Stan Lee's stories, books from the 80's, or even his own), he either hasn't read many Marvel comics, doesn't remember what he read, or just doesn't care.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Skimming the article it makes it sound like part of the game is playing through characters through some of their more famous stories. Based on that I would just want someone who apparently has read and remembers the stories, or willing to make it look like they did.

I am not up on most of Marvels writers so suggesting someone is kind of problematic for me right now. Best I could think of for a game like this would be someone like Claremont. While a lot of his newer stuff is average, I think that had more to do with trying to fit his stories into six issues.

I've always loved Fred Hembeck so I had to share this latest drawing of his...

Mike Huckabee's take on DC's "controvesial" Superman story from Action Comics #900...

Latest Green Lantern trailer which not only lets us hear Michael Clarke Duncan as Kilowog but also gives us our first on screen glimpse of Ganthet...

RIP Perry White

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...benk-113882%2F
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; May 11, 2011 at 03:31am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

Free comic book day is this Saturday.

With all of the comic book movies released this summer(7 at last count), I thought it might be fun to list your favorite comic book based movies...

Top 5 Comic Book Movies
    1) Superman 2
    2) Superman
    3) Road To Perdition
    4) The Crow
    5) The Mask

Bottom 5 Comic Book Movies
    1) The Spirit
    2) Elektra
    3) Blade: Trinity
    4) Kick-Ass
    5) 300

JOIN THE GROUP...

Villainous Marauder Monkeyboy Prime's Avatar
    Best:
    1. Scott Pilgrim
    2. Spider-Man 2
    3. X-Men 2
    4. The Rocketeer
    5. Blade

Worst:
    1. Catwoman
    2. Batman and Robin
    3. Blade 3
    4. Elektra
    5. Superman 3
    When will we get our Songster figure Mattel???

Movie rocks! I loved the Hawkeye cameo and Cosmic Cube after the credits it's obvious that they are either setting up Thanos to be the main villain in Avengers or Red Skull, and oh yeah Marvel killed the Darth Vader car commerical
    Please embed videos per forum rules Thanks

I was told the following was int he movie...

I didn't catch it did any of you?

Has anyone been reading Marvel's Fear Itself...

...or pick up today's Flashpoint #1 from DC Comics?

JOIN THE GROUP...

Fear Itself has not wooed me so far, but I have never been a fan of Fraction.

Flashpoint was okay. The best thing about it so far was the meta-dig Keith Giffen did in the (lamentably) last issue of the current Doom Patrol.

While I just ordered the Thor Omnibus hardcover by Simonson, I just can't find any gumption to get anything by marvel.

DC's event I will wait till it's done and I might read it. Not sure right now, just getting real meh with events. More so then I have been in the past.

* Fear Itself & Flashpoint both have good art.

* While it makes sense as an advertisement for their movies this summer, Fear Itself so far seems like a forced non-story used to feature the Thor & Captain America family of characters. I think I understand why the promos confused so many people in terms of the story's direction. There doesn't seem to really be a story.

* I think DC is usually better about event comics in that you only need to read the main mini if you want. After only 2 issues, the main Fear Itself book seems more like a trailer for all of the tie-in books you have to read than a self contained story. Unfortunately, DC seems to have over 60 different books tying into this event.

* Marvel is back to their dirty tricks. They attemped to mislead their fans by piggybacking onto DC's "Draw The Line At $2.99" announcement, but Fear Itself #2 was $3.99 even though it was a 22 page book.

* I wasn't expecting much from Flashpoint since 1) it just seemed like DC's version of House Of M & Age Of Apocalypse and 2) I'm not the biggest Flash fan in the world(I like him but he's no Superman, Green Lantern or even Green Arrow & Aquaman to me). I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Flashpoint #1.

* I'm happy that Cyborg & Aquaman are getting big roles in this event. 2 characters that I've always loved but are usually thought of as B or C-listers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Flashpoint was okay. The best thing about it so far was the meta-dig Keith Giffen did in the (lamentably) last issue of the current Doom Patrol.
    I bought that issue but have only flipped through it so far. I've been a big Doom Patrol fan since DC brought the team back in the 80's and Giffen made me a fan of team books thanks to JLI(I can read that series over & over again). I'll miss that book. I'll especially miss the fact that Ambush Bug was a regular cast member in it.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    While I just ordered the Thor Omnibus hardcover by Simonson, I just can't find any gumption to get anything by marvel.
    Is that the Thor reprint that IDW is publishing? If so, I was tempted to get it until I saw the price tag.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; May 12, 2011 at 04:04pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post

Is that the Thor reprint that IDW is publishing? If so, I was tempted to get it until I saw the price tag.
    I'ts not the IDW artist edition, it's version put out by Marvel that has modern coloring. But collecting the whole run from '83-'87 including the Balder mini series.

I saw it featured on AoTS looked it up it's marked off 38% at both amazon and Barnes and noble dropping it from 125% to 77.37$. I was late to order on amazon, for a bit it was actually 72$ on amazon.

I had picked up the softcover first part of the series for like 6 bucks last year at my Hastings. When I saw the hardcover on AoTS I figured I would check it out figuring it would be too much, when I saw it was marked down that much and was 1200 pgs of comics I was like I want and yoink.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...912%26sr%3D8-3
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...thor%2Bomnibus
    b&n did setup to charge me tax of 5 bucks so I went with amazon.
    Last edited by wyldman11; May 12, 2011 at 04:29pm.

I'm still reading both but FlashPoint was the better of the two, mainly because i love alternate universe books.(i.e. What if?, Elseworlds) I love that Titania and Absorbing Man push in Fear Itself. I will say that right now I have plans to buy a lot of the Flashpoint books next month.

Who do you think The Outsider is? and what about that reveal at the end of Flashpoint 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy Prime View Post
    Who do you think The Outsider is? and what about that reveal at the end of Flashpoint 1?
    I had just assumed The Outsider was Metamorpho but I'm not sure now.

The reveal at the end is what sold me on Flashpoint since I didn't expect it at all. I'm assuming pretty much all of the stuff that happens in the series will go back to normal at the end of it(except for maybe whatever happens to Barry & Reverse-Flash), but if they can keep up cool reveals like that, this series might be better than I was expecting.

Well, the end of August will be cheap for DC Comics fans out there...

Well, that’s one way to reduce your market share.

DC Comics has announced that on August the 31st they plan to publish only one comic book, Flashpoint #5, “because of its impact on the DC Universe”.

“The war between the Amazons and the Atlantians has arrived. The battles between Diana of Themsycira and Emperor Aquaman will tear this world apart – unless The Flash can fix it!”

So you can probably guarantee that every DC comic book fan will buy that comic, that week.

And if Marvel is smart, they’ll try and push as many books as they can that might appeal to DC buyers to come out at the same time…

Issue 4 will come out on August the 3rd

It looks like DC might be rebooting most of their books this September...

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...n-september%2F

Way back in the mid-80's around the time of Crisis On Infinite Earths, Marv Wolfman was in support of this idea. Will DC actually do it this time?

Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; May 17, 2011 at 05:51pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

I think it depends on what the whole plan really is. One of the problems is typically it's just a #1 with all history behind it still there which tends not to boost sales like they think.

If they are going for a full on reboot, I know many fans will be upset because they will feel all the time they have spent putting into it was a waste. But a full on reboot has the potential to actually make it easier for new people to come in. In fact to some extent it's something I have said loosely in the past, that every 10-15 years I think they should do almost a hard reboot. You don't have to retell all the same stories but you can drop the baggage people think they see when they come in.

But chances are it's a soft reboot of some kind, which I find odd after all they did to bring back everything like it was before. I just don't really see where they are going with the whole thing.

I'm not celebrating yet with that news, but I am curious.

Since I've never been one of those people who cares about having a complete collection of a certain series(at least not a series that's been around since before I was born), I don't care at all about the numbering going back to 1. I read comics more than collect them. I'll drop a book without thinking twice if I don't like it. I don't have thousands of boxes of books that it will affect.

Even though it won't last forever, it can be kind of cool to be in on the ground floor of a new era for the DC Universe. Sure this might not be an actual reboot but another attempt at "One Year Later"(DC killed all of the post-Infinite Crisis buzz with their first version of that). Even if DC does reboot their universe, I'm pretty sure it will be done in the form of a story. Unlike Marvel, DC usually gives an in-story reason for continuity changes and/or mistakes(even if it's as stupid as Superboy Prime punching a wall enough to alter the universe). I just hope, at least if it's done well, that this gives a much needed boost to DC's sales. It's hard for me to live in a world where Marvel Comics is at it lowest point creatively in the 30 years I've been reading comics, but still kills DC in sales.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I'm not reading Fear Itself or Flashpoint... neither really appealed to me,
    and I'm sick of all the pointless tie-in books and endless events.

My pull list from both Marvel and DC is down to two or three books from each one.
    I'm just more interested in more self-contained stories these days.
    That tends to be more creator-owned stuff, which is cool.
    But the occasional Marvel/DC book has been a lot of fun.
    I still love my superheroes, I just don't like the way most of them are marketed.

I imagine DC has something big planned for the end of Flashpoint.
    I don't think for a second they'll completely reboot the DCU, though.
    And even if they do, the continuity baggage will still be there.
    The creators and fanboys are just too attached to it.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Which is typically my addendum to it all, it should have been started many years ago. People tend to not take well to change, I mean look at well they respond to the soft reboots we have had.

I had just assumed The Outsider was Metamorpho but I'm not sure now.

The reveal at the end is what sold me on Flashpoint since I didn't expect it at all. I'm assuming pretty much all of the stuff that happens in the series will go back to normal at the end of it(except for maybe whatever happens to Barry & Reverse-Flash), but if they can keep up cool reveals like that, this series might be better than I was expecting.
    I have heard that The Outsider is Alfred or the Grant Morrison God from Animal Man.

That reveal was pretty astounding. (SPOILERS)

I can't wait to see more of Thomas Wayne and how he became this kind of Batman.

(End SPOILERS)

As for the the total reboot idea, eh it might be a good short term idea but the problem with reboots is that the more you do them the more you do them. Look at Marvel. How many Daredevil number 1's have come out in the last 10 years?

Big News From DC Comics' Geoff Johns & Jim Lee On June 11th?

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...nce-in-june%2F

JOIN THE GROUP...

Big News From DC Comics' Geoff Johns & Jim Lee On June 11th?
    If it is what the rumor is you will probably LOVE it. I just hope it's good, love Johns but Lee I could take or leave.