Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Official" Superhero & Comic Book Thread!!!

Re: the female super costumes, it really is all about the artist. Wonder Woman's costume, CAN look modest, or she can look like she's a hair away from a nip slip, depending on how she is drawn. Michael Turner draw Supergirl looking like a mangy crack ***** who'd never eaten in her life and loved mascara more than life itself and who apparently had straw growing out of her head.

Despite having to draw her in a ridiculously out of style belly tee (Hit me baby, one more time!- 1999), Jamal Igle managed to make her look modest. He drew her skirt almost knee length and clearly showed that she wore long shorts underneath, so no Paris/Britney/Lindsay/Miley peakaboo shots could happen and even though he had to keep the stupid belly tee, he at least lengthened it.

Igle's Supergirl looks well-fed, healthy and modest. She's indestructible, so she doesn't necessarily need to be completely covered for warmth or protection. And that hair is so luxurious she could do a Pantene commercial! It's all about the artist... in most cases.

NO ONE can make Star Sapphire's costume acceptable. I'm glad to see that trash going away. Starfire's is revealing but it's in keeping with her character, an uninhibited, free willed warrior woman. Plus, her suit, as revealing as it is, has never seemed trashy the way Star Sapphires does. And The Huntress' is just silly. A belly window? I am torn on Powergirl... I mean... that's practically a trademark!

Also, just what is their judgement barometer? Wonder Woman is still showing a lot more skin than her Justice League teammates. Are legs verboten, but not cleavage and shoulders?

I wonder if Martian Manhunter will have to cover up, he has the skimpiest outfit of them all.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Even though, when she was first brought back, Jeph Loebs wrote Supergirl as an unlikeable anti-hero, the girl of steel I know wouldn't dress the way Michael Turner first drew her(RIP). I do hope they keep the skirt though. It doesn't need to be really short, but it is so iconic, I feel it would be asinine to lose it. I can, for the most part, handle costume changes. Messing with Superman's(and Supergirl's as well) is one that I have a huge problem with. If any costume should be considered untouchable, it should be that of the "first superhero".

First Marvel had a problem with any character smoking but no problem with partial nudity, explicit violence, and overt sexuality(it's for the kids you know).

Now DC wants their women completely covered and chaste(did the Taliban acquire DC Comics?), but beheading them is A-OK...

I've had a problem with the level of violence in DC Comics recently, but at least it was kept to the inside of the books(I am still shocked about Black Adam using the entrails of a yeti to careen off a cliff; that's Saw-like violence). I am so worried that DC is becoming another JoeyQ's Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I wonder if Martian Manhunter will have to cover up, he has the skimpiest outfit of them all.
    Let's just hope it's not this...

According to BleedingCool(Rich Johnston is usually pretty accurate with his rumors), this DCU Reboot isn't anything forced on DC from Warner Bros. The idea for it is all from Dan Didio, Jim Lee, & Geoff Johns...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/...ot-to-be-true/

I can definitely believe this was Didio's idea(JMS supports that as well http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/...e-dc-relaunch/ ) and even Jim Lee's, but Geoff Johns? Why, Geoff, why?
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; June 4, 2011 at 06:07am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    I love how Captain Thunder/Shazam is now a Captain Planet-meets-He-Man. It comes full circle since the Filmation Adam-into-He-Man bit was based on Captain Marvel in the first place. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I can definitely believe this was Didio's idea(JMS supports that as well http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/...e-dc-relaunch/ ) and even Jim Lee's, but Geoff Johns? Why, Geoff, why?
    Well do we know what involvement he had in this idea? I think many of us can attest to saying something or doing something that got us lumped into something that was significant in the decision but in ways wasn't that significant. He might be just helping shape the idea, he could be a catalyst, he could be a counter balance.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I'm still skeptical about this whole reboot that isn't a reboot, but at least Swampy is getting his own book again...

Swamp Thing #1

Here are a few others...

Nightwing #1

Catwoman #1 (the one character I'd like to see get a new costume doesn't)

Batman #1 (please let that guy with the mohawk not be The Riddler)

Detective Comics #1

Is Barbara Gordon back as Batgirl?

Batgirl #1

I don't know what I like least; the cast or the costumes of the new BOP?

Birds Of Prey #1

Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; June 6, 2011 at 01:53pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

Is that Black Canarie's new without fishnets outfit? And I agree even it is her not sure I like the complete over haul of the team.

I like the Catwoman goggles uniform, but I would also like based on her characters past if she switched it up every story. Seems like a feminine thing to do.

SWEET!!!

My favorite artist is writing & drawing my favorite superhero...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/...aw-superman-1/

Let's hope it's as good as his Wonder Woman was 25 years ago.

Batman & Robin #1

With Damian Wayne still as Robin, it looks like DC is doing the exact same thing that made 1986's Crisis On Infinite Earth's reboot a mess. They aren't either just renumbering the books or giving the DCU an entire reboot. They're doing both. It looks like books by Geoff Johns & Grant Morrison are safe while all other books are potentially going to be rebooted/retconned/altered post-Flashpoint. I really wish they had the balls to go through with a reboot or left things well enough alone.

Didn't anyone listen to Marv Wolfman?

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...d.php?t=144263

More "Marvelization" of the DCU. The costumes look like something out of a syndicated action show and not the superhero friendly DCU.

Red Hood & The Outsiders #1

Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; June 6, 2011 at 05:11pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

So Starfire gets pants, and shoulder pads and that's it for her modesty upgrade.

So Starfire gets pants, and shoulder pads and that's it for her modesty upgrade.
    I guess the people at DC are "boob men". It sucks that I've always been a legman. I'm really scared to see Supergirl's new costume.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I guess the people at DC are "boob men". It sucks that I've always been a legman. I'm really scared to see Supergirl's new costume.
    Yeah, but then I remember they are wearing paint... I mean tights. But yeah I was just thinking the same thing, more of a leg man myself and we still get comic art with ladies with slightly longer than normal legs.

More proof that Grant Morrison's Batman Inc is sticking around...

Batwing #1 (Africa's Batman)

JOIN THE GROUP...

Geoff Johns' influence is pretty obvious in some things. Like Barry Allen being the "only" Flash and Wally being de-aged to be Kid Flash again, Barbara Gordon coming back as Batgirl, a younger cast over all (like they were in the silver age) and so on. He probably also pushed the Wonder Woman reboot since he has wanted to change WW a lot from her accepted portrayal for quite some time.

Also, I fail to see the point of Birds of Prey when Gail Simone isn't doing it anymore, with Oracle, Huntress and the others gone. It just feels like when they sometimes put out a team book with an older name ("Outsiders", "Titans") and NONE of the characters that made the team popular in the first place.

At least it looks like Catwoman might become a thief again. Seriously, Brubaker's run really annoyed the crap out of me, as did everyone who followed that lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Wally being de-aged to be Kid Flash again,
    Is that true? I hadn't heard that. To be honest, I wouldn't have minded Wally as Kid Flash(I never liked Bart and, even though I grew up with Wally as Flash, I like Barry a lot) if they had done the same thing to Grayson. Since he is the same age(at least he's Nightwing), it would be stupid to have his best friend younger.

He probably also pushed the Wonder Woman reboot since he has wanted to change WW a lot from her accepted portrayal for quite some time.
    What is John's issues with Wonder Woman? I'm not sure I've ever read his thoughts on her before.

At least it looks like Catwoman might become a thief again. Seriously, Brubaker's run really annoyed the crap out of me, as did everyone who followed that lead.
    Personally, I don't care if Catwoman is a thief or an anti-hero. I just want her as the star crossed lover for Bruce. If he is to be with any woman, it should be her imo. While I liked it at first, I really wish she got a new costume. The goggles, short hair, and leather are in need of a change imo.

Like I said above, this looks like it's going to be a mess. It isn't a relaunch of their books or a universe-wide reboot. They didn't have the balls to do that in 1985 and don't have it now. I won't be surprised if DC's sales actually shrink even more by January of next year. They'll lose the "old school" diehards, the books not written by Johns & Morrison will flounder(why does DC have Jenkin's? Go back to Marvel), and the Marvel Zombies will have new reasons to not like DC rather than the "old school" costumes. Just the fact that The Riddler(at least I'm assuming that's who is on the cover of Batman #1) has a green mohawk proves to me DC is clueless as to what might help their sales. It's hard to be supportive of such knuckleheads.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Balent Catwoman for the win!

Aww, Black Canary doesn't work with spandex...and is that Poison Ivy? Ugh.

Nightwing looks cool. So far, Nightwing and Green Arrow are the best of the new costumes so far.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Balent Catwoman for the win!

Aww, Black Canary doesn't work with spandex...and is that Poison Ivy? Ugh.

Nightwing looks cool. So far, Nightwing and Green Arrow are the best of the new costumes so far.
    Nightwing & Green Arrow's costumes are fine, but they aren't improvements imo(I like the color blue more than red when it comes to Nightwing and the added details on GA's costume don't add anything). Aquaman's is OK too.

Black Canary's, Superman's, & Wonder Woman's are bad though.

Someone Tweeted Jim Lee about the "no naked female legs" policy. Jim Lee's "Please..." response tends to make me think it's not true. We're still getting a whole lot of covered legs, but I guess it has more to do with making the women movie ready rather than making them less sexy.

Sure, most of these books won't last the year(I'd love to be proven wrong though), but I love all of the obscure horror titles that DC is going to be giving us. It's like the 70's all over again. I'm really happy to have Madame Xanadu back in a book set in the DCU.

John Constantine, Deadman, Shade the Changing Man and Madame Xanadu are Justice League Dark, a band of supernatural heroes united to stop the dark things the rest of the DCU does not see in JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #1, by Peter Milligan and artist Mikel Janin

As a big Demon fan, I love the idea of a book that takes place in Camelot.

Set in the Middle Ages, the Demon leads an unlikely team to defend civilization and preserve the last vestiges of Camelot against the tide of history. Critically-acclaimed writer Paul Cornell and artists Diogenes Neves and Oclair Albert combine sorcery, swords and superheroes in DEMON KNIGHTS #1.

Sure, it's nothing new, but I like the idea of Frankenstein's Monster as an action hero. I hope we see the Creature Commandos in this book.

Frankenstein and his network of strange beings work for an even stranger government organization: The Super Human Advanced Defense Executive. It’s the breakout hero of Seven Soldiers as you’ve never seen him before in FRANKENSTEIN, AGENT OF SHADE #1, the first issue of a dark new series from acclaimed writer Jeff Lemire (Sweet Tooth, The Nobody) and artist Alberto Ponticelli.

I loved the original Resurrection Man book.

A cult favorite character returns in a new series written by his classic creative team of Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning. Joining them is JUSTICE LEAGUE: GENERATION LOST artist Fernando Dagnino. RESURRECTION MAN #1 is the story of a hero who wakes up with new powers each time he’s killed.

I never read the original I, Vampire series, but this cover makes me think that, even though a lot of female heroes are going to be wearing movie-ready pants, DC is definitely not shying away from sexuality.

Vampires threaten to bring ruin to the DC Universe in I, VAMPIRE #1 by rising star Josh Fialkov and artist Andrea Sorrentino. Tortured by his centuries-old love for the Queen of the Damnned, Andrew Bennett must save humanity from the violent uprising of his fellow vampires, even if it means exterminating his own kind.

Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; June 7, 2011 at 04:10pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

I am guessing that is Zatanna in the corset in Justice League Dark. So they are giving her leather pants, and to retain fishnets she now has fishnet armlets. I think they are going to pants to kind of say hey we aren't doing the 90's thong thing we did the opposite.
    Last edited by wyldman11; June 8, 2011 at 11:45am.

I am guessing that is Zatanna in the corset in Justice League Dark. So they are giving her leather pants, and to retain fishnets she now has fishnet armlets. I think they are going to pants to kind of say hey we aren't doing the 90's thong thing we did the opposite.
    I didn't even think about one of the women on that cover being her. I still think DC is just doing this to be "movie-ready" in case any of these characters makes it to a movie. I really think it sucks that Zatanna isn't even recognizable. At least use the George Perez design if they feel fishnets or nylons wouldn't make a good costume...

...although, I don't think anyone had a problem with her appearance on Smallville...

JOIN THE GROUP...

I didn't even think about one of the women on that cover being her. I still think DC is just doing this to be "movie-ready" in case any of these characters makes it to a movie. I really think it sucks that Zatanna isn't even recognizable. At least use the George Perez design if they feel fishnets or nylons wouldn't make a good costume...

I think you are right, and she isn't as much of a fighter so for live action it isn't as much of an issue. But for some reason in movies they are liking the putting them in leather bit for some reason. I am more making fun of their 90ization of the costumes. Granted some have just gone from what I would call mid to late 90s to late 90s early 00s.

Only reason I thought it was her, well double reason is the hair and the theme of the title. The rest I figured when I started looking more into the costume, as I said a guess but I think it's a good one.
    Last edited by wyldman11; June 8, 2011 at 02:43pm.

I think you are right, and she isn't as much of a fighter so for live action it isn't as much of an issue. But for some reason in movies they are liking the putting them in leather bit for some reason. I am more making fun of their 90ization of the costumes. Granted some have just gone from what I would call mid to late 90s to late 90s early 00s.
    That's probably why Catwoman's costume is the only one I've seen so far that doesn't have an upgrade. She's already wearing black leather.

Only reason I thought it was her, well double reason is the hair and the theme of the title. The rest I figured when I started looking more into the costume, as I said a guess but I think it's a good one.
    I'm sure you're right. It was a great call. I haven't seen anything online even mention her yet either. It was all about Madame Xanadu, John Constantine, Shade The Changing Man, and Deadman.

Hopefully we'll find out why the women of the DCU all must suddenly wear pants tomorrow...

https://twitter.com/#!/jimlee00/stat...54100400644096

Once that is cleared up, then maybe they can explain the whole Top Cow version of Teen Titans and Rob Liefeld on Hawk & Dove.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; June 9, 2011 at 04:33am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quesada does it again. Uncanny X-Men just got canceled.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=32704

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Quesada does it again. Uncanny X-Men just got canceled.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=32704
    Well, "canceled" isn't really the right term.
    I know it's semantics, but this is a "story-driven" renumbering stunt.
    You can bet a new (or two new) X-Men ongoings will be coming out of this.
    And probably all wrapped back into the original Uncanny numbering in a few years (or less).

It's silly. Leave the numbers alone, man...
    Bill :: guitargod694

I was expecting JoeyQ to shoot someone or make Spider-Man a lesbian Muslim in order to get Marvel in the headlines after over a week of non-stop DC headlines.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I was expecting JoeyQ to shoot someone or make Spider-Man a lesbian Muslim in order to get Marvel in the headlines after over a week of non-stop DC headlines.
    Eh, I think they're more or less happy with consistently outselling DC.

Besides, the overall reaction online is less than positive, IMO.
    I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything for actual sales,
    but it does in terms of feeling the need to compete with the online announcements.

And yeah, getting rid of Secret Six is almost as dumb as "canceling" Uncanny X-Men.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    Eh, I think they're more or less happy with consistently outselling DC.
    That's due to the Marvel Zombies who keep buying Marvel no matter how happy or unhappy they are with their books. Compare how many awards Marvel has been nominated for or actually won recently next to DC.

Besides, my comment had less to do with Marvel's quality and more about what a sleazy narcissist JoeyQ is. He's up there with Oprah, Donald Trump, and Stan Lee in how much attention he demands.

JOIN THE GROUP...