Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thundarr the Barbarian

Thundarr the Barbarian

Anyone else used to be into this show? I watched a few episodes on youtube recently and it hasnt held up quite as well as I would have hoped but still damn good. Whats the hold-up with the DVDs already? I'd buy them the first day they were released.
    My friends wife suffered a spinal stroke in November, she remains completely paralyzed from the neck down and her insurance company recently decided to drop her as she wasnt "progressing fast enough" for them. We dont want to give up on her, we believe she can recover but the rehab she is at is pricy. Find out how you can help at:

www.nicolegregory.com

Thanks

I used to like it. Not sure what's up with the DVDs. Maybe, as you said, they think it hasn't held up well or something. It was probably a mistake to assign a date to the runaway planet disaster.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"It was the time of the preacher..."
    - Willie Nelson, "Time of the Preacher"

I liked Thundarr back in the day. IIRC all the Hanna Barbera Shows are in the hands of Warner Brothers. So we could be waiting years for it. I'd love to see it on DVD as well as Galtarr and Pirates of Dark Water.
    Hey Super7 I'm looking forward to what you do for Classics and I'm awaiting these figures!

Spinwit, Gepple, Alcon, Meldoch, Krax, Kayo, Stridor, Kittrina, Melaktha, Drissi, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Vizar, Nocturna

NA DESERVES A MINI SUB!

My Facebook, check it out!

Asp'r the Contrarian SnakeMenPriest's Avatar
    Thundarr was made by Ruby-Spears, not Hanna-Barbera. As far as I know, Ruby-Spears is still around, and I don't think they released any of their shows on DVD.

I saw this show on Boomerang, and I must say, this was a rather interesting show, as I haven't seen that actual setting done before.

--SMP
    In Kansas, it is a crime to eat rattlesnake meat in public.
    You are upsetting the blessing of the Snake God. ALL HAIL RATTLOR!!

Check out 2-bad's Original epic: Origins of The SnakeMen!

One of my favorite shows of all time, I have the Ookla figure here on my desk at work I catch this on boomerang whenever I can and would LOVE to see this revived

HEROVERSE IS COMING...

Lionheart avatar by Baena

Still love the show and have the figures as well. Hopefully they'll release a dvd someday as well as Herculoids!!!

Member of the Royal Family JimmyPSHayes's Avatar
    I believe Warner Brothers owns the Ruby Spears stuff. I have all the figures on my computer desk and they're awesome!!! I would buy DVDs in a heartbeat.
    I love it when a plan comes together.

A day will come when Thundarr fans everywhere want Thundarr on DVD so badly, that the powers that be will have no choice but to give it to them.

I'm surprised no one's bought the rights to do a new comic book series on it yet, as with Thundercats, GI Joe, Transformers, etc.
    It's great being Lord of the Thundercats - especially hanging out with Cheetara - but the one draw back is that He-Man can still beat me up.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post1993306
    Somewhere In Exo-Squad, a fan art by Matt Tyree (just in case you're curious)

Quote Originally Posted by Lion-O View Post
    A day will come when Thundarr fans everywhere want Thundarr on DVD so badly, that the powers that be will have no choice but to give it to them.

I'm surprised no one's bought the rights to do a new comic book series on it yet, as with Thundercats, GI Joe, Transformers, etc.
    I think the lack of a serious toyline and that it hasn't aired nearly as much as the others has made it more of a "forgotten" property.

That's too bad, 'cause next to He-Man, Thundarr's the best! (Well, except maybe for Thundercats ... 3rd place?)

I remember really liking this as a kid. I have to catch it again one day. Anyone have any pics of the figures????
    Check out the Masters Of The Galaxy Podcast. And also check out Masters of the Galaxy Facebook page

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

i just watched it last night on boomerang!!

Last edited by faroniousd; January 10, 2008 at 07:42pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sean "Cheeks" Galloway did a cool updating of Thundarr and Ookla:

How old are those figures.
    Check out the Masters Of The Galaxy Podcast. And also check out Masters of the Galaxy Facebook page

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

I got mine in....2002/2003 i think. They were released around that time.

They released an exclusive Thundarr at the San Diego Comicon and then the regular ones came out shortly after that. 02/03 sounds right. I can't remember exactly.

The Abominable Dr. Phibes Vincent Price's Avatar
    I'd love to see a modern revival, but not in the style of the pics posted above. With few exceptions, I loathe that style of animation.

Gemini is an interesting villian who deserves a backstory.
    Last edited by Vincent Price; January 11, 2008 at 04:33pm.
    Old people used to annoy me at weddings by pinching my cheeks &
    saying that you are the next.
    They stopped doing that when I started doing the same to them at funerals.

need more info?

http://www.thundarr.com/

Here's a link to an interview with the creators of the show! It's from years ago, but still a good read...

http://www.thundarr.com/media/interview.html
    Last edited by faroniousd; January 18, 2008 at 10:30pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by faroniousd View Post
    need more info?

http://www.thundarr.com/

Here's a link to an interview with the creators of the show! It's from years ago, but still a good read...

http://www.thundarr.com/media/interview.html
    Great site.
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

Heroic Warrior
    I am selling my loose set of figures now. Its an awsome set, and I love the cartoon, but I am thinning out the collection.

A pleasure, Mr. Wick Blue Jester's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMenPriest View Post
    Thundarr was made by Ruby-Spears, not Hanna-Barbera.
    --SMP
    True, but why do the figures say Hanna Barbera at the top??

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jester View Post
    True, but why do the figures say Hanna Barbera at the top??
    Technically, they own the cartoon even though they weren't the ones that made it. Plus, Thundarr was on heavy rotation on the Boomerang Channel at the time.

yeah, he was created by Ruby/Spears but they used hanna barbera for the animation and of course distribution. I love the show. I recently started getting boomerang again and forgot how much i liked it. Wish to death that a dvd was available. btw, on the site there's a petition to get it out on dvd!

Heroic Warrior
    As a kid, I really enjoyed the vastly underrated early '80's cartoon "Thundarr the Barbarian" - this took place on a post-apocalyptic Earth, and obviously was "inspired" to a great extent by Star Wars, Conan the Barbarian, Dungeons & Dragons, etc. This cartoon definitely stood out among most of the other Saturday morning cartoon wasteland.

A while back, I saw all 4 DVD's of the entire series, and these brought back a lot of great memories; I liked how the show explored the remains of various U.S. cities - the fantasy element was strong as well. It was interesting to see all of the aliens/mutants & both advanced/primitive tech. It's also worth noting that Thundarr was one of the first sci-fi post-apocalytpic (PA) TV shows out there, and one of the only cartoons. Though since then we've seen a lot of PA TV shows since that time, Thundarr was definitely a fore-runner. It's nice to see the aftermath of the disaster re: the various ruined cities they go to, the storylines are great (a combination of horror, sci-fi, and fantasy), and the animation is stellar - especially considering the cartoon is so old.

One of the most interesting aspects of the show was seeing Thundarr & his group (Ookla the Mok, Princess Ariel) go to a ruined U.S. city and being able to recognize which one it was; i.e., in one of the first episodes they went to "Manhat", which was obviously Manhattan (with the statue of liberty in the background, the subways, etc.). IIRC, in another episode they went to the ruins of Las Vegas, etc.

The show was actually better than I remember, much of which was because, via the DVD's, I was able to see all of the episodes in chronological order - and, the cleaned up/remastered picture & sound was amazing - this was obviously much better than seeing the show on an old, pre-cable CRT TV set back in the day.

Heroic Warrior
    Thundarr was one of my favorites! I always remember watching it on Boomeraction before going to church. It be cool if it got a new show. I remember the episode where they found the old animatronic of King Kong and this villiage of evil talking gorillas worshiped it and turned it on and used it against Thundarr and his crew. It was a very interesting concept, how all the ruins of modern civilization could be seen, then the world turned into a savage land with crazy wizards, Sorcerers and all kinds of monsters roaming the earth.