Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Captain Power Returns!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    I don't see Captain Power getting this same type of treatment, because it looks like it was all shot on video. Video does not transfer well to Blu-Ray DVD.
    No. It was shot on film indeed. They confirmed that to me. But everything else (CGI and special effects) was done on video.
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Anybody find this at a brick & mortar? I went to a couple stores today, but couldn't find it. I guess I'll get it online eventually, but I was hoping to snag it in person.
    I couldn't find it either. I wound up getting it from Amazon.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I went to Walmart, Target, and Best Buy this morning looking for toys and did not see a copy so online is probably your best bet.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Got my copy from Amazon today and watched the documentary and the "mash-up" movie... Two words: GET IT. I forgot how good this show actually was. Great to have this set out finally!

Edit: Didn't realize how long ago this was posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Well, I don't know what that title means, but a youtube video has been posted with what look like ne interviews with the creators, and a websites showed up:
    www.captainpowerreturns.net

. . .
    Reading the first page of the website . . I think it's just finally released on DVD.
    Up till now the only a few episodes were release on VHS.
    It looks like the DVD will have some interviews.

It's exciting news : )

I loved this show, and still do.

On a different note . . I do think the show could be re-done, but it would have to be altered a little to make appeal to adults and kids (not that the original didn't Siskel and Ebert talked about it). The title would have to be different.
    Last edited by McHorde-Trooper; December 9, 2011 at 10:05pm.

IGN reviewed the DVD set today:

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/121/1214026p1.html

The extras sound worth the price of the set!!!

Extras are really where things go from mediocre to completely awesome. The set includes six commentary tracks spread among the first three discs. The tracks feature many of the show's writers, producers, creators and even a few cast members. There's a lot of great trivia and insight here. It's clear that the folks behind this series honestly cared about the show they helped create, and their passion for the material is honest, heartfelt, and infectious.

Even better, disc four is dedicated entirely to extras! To start, there's the 90-minute TV movie titled Captain Power: The Legend Begins. It's basically a mash-up of the show's best episodes, but an interesting watch nonetheless. There's also a wonderful 94-minute documentary that delves deeply into the origin of the series, exploring the show's controversial side, ambitious nature and ultimate cancellation.

Other goodies include an art gallery, filled with some truly awesome artwork, a 5-minute featurette about the original promo trailer (as well as the promo itself) and an 8-minute discussion of the abandoned concepts and scripts created for the unproduced second season of the show. All told, this set features a remarkable retrospective for one of TV's coolest kids' shows. As an added bonus, the box set's awesome cover artwork is created by movie poster legend Drew Struzan. Coolness!
    I take their video grade with a grain of salt, I mean we all knew what was being transferred here so its not like anyone was expecting remastered or Disney like restoration. The goal for sets like this is to at least produce a clean transfer from the source
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Quote Originally Posted by McHorde-Trooper View Post
    Edit: Didn't realize how long ago this was posted.

Reading the first page of the website . . I think it's just finally released on DVD.
    Up till now the only a few episodes were release on VHS.
    It looks like the DVD will have some interviews.

It's exciting news : )

I loved this show, and still do.

On a different note . . I do think the show could be re-done, but it would have to be altered a little to make appeal to adults and kids (not that the original didn't Siskel and Ebert talked about it). The title would have to be different.
    Apparently it is being re-done... Gary Goddard has stated as much. Just not a lot of info as they develop it and then release more tidbits... The extras are fantastic. You won't find it in stores (Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc...) so go online if you want this beauty!

-Johnny C

I wonder if they'll still reboot it if the DVD set doesn't put up nice numbers. Since no major chains are selling it at their brick & mortars, sales probably won't be as good as they anticipated when they first started to put this set together.

^^^

Yeah, I see you're point on that, but I think they HAD to know that sales wouldn't be as good if they weren't going to put it in physical stores. I don't think the sales of this thing are going to have anything to do with getting it re-done. It's Gary Goddard. He's a pitch-man and if he gets someone to finance it (which I highly believe he will) he'll do it. I think the concept and characters hold up pretty well, and would do well in today's market.

EDIT: Go to their FB page... there's a video of the launch event they had and they aren't hiding the fact that a new series launch is already underway for a 2012 release. Time will reveal all!

POWER ON! :-)

-Johnny C
    Last edited by JohnnyC; December 11, 2011 at 03:14am.

I think sales will just need to cover cost of production, I mean this is basically being independently done. Its not being produced or released by a major studio or even a 3rd party with major retail chains.

In reality I think there was virtually no way this was going to be stocked at retail in the prime Christmas season, the shelves are limited and controlled by major companies like Disney and Warner Bros.

I saw this in an Amazon review.
    The video quality is about what I expected, but I have to admit that I'm more than a little surprised (and disappointed) about the audio mix. I've watched two episodes thus far, and the music/sound effects are SERIOUSLY drowning out the dialogue. And without any subtitles or closed captions available on the disc, it's sometimes impossible to tell what the actors are saying. There don't seem to be any audio options on the set, so I can't really modify the sound setup.
    I hope this isn't the case as I don't have A plus hearing, so if stuff is getting drowned out, I could end up experiencing the same thing.

I saw this in an Amazon review.
    I hope this isn't the case as I don't have A plus hearing, so if stuff is getting drowned out, I could end up experiencing the same thing.
    I mean, yeah the sound is a little off here and there, but I haven't experienced anything awful. Remember, this series was transferred from film, and some of those pieces of film were so aged that they had to bake it to get it to go to transfer, ultimately ruining the originals forever. We're lucky that we have this at all, and if it means that the audio is a little f-ed up here and there, then so be it. It's completely watchable and enjoyable the way they released it, and far worth the price if you truly are a fan of this series. I don't think you'll have a problem. And to further what marakatisu said, it's coming from an independent company so the resources to completely restore the thing just weren't there. The documentary and the other extras alone are totally worth it. I don't know what people are expecting here, really...

-Johnny C

It all depends what condition the material was when they went to transfer it, being on videotape is going to make it really hard to do a whole lot with unfortunately. People might complain but with the video and audio the saying "you can't get blood from a stone" tends to apply more than most people will ever realize.

Even if the tracks were separate (not always a guarantee) it might just be what it is.

What puzzles me is the lack of closed captioning, that is very easy to do even on a video source. It is time consuming to get it done but I am sure had they put a call out for a fan to take on that workload they would have done it for free and they could have easily added it as captions or even english subtitles.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    I mean, yeah the sound is a little off here and there, but I haven't experienced anything awful. Remember, this series was transferred from film,
    No man, they transferred the video tapes. The original films are intact, but missing the CGI and the special effects.
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquest View Post
    No man, they transferred the video tapes. The original films are intact, but missing the CGI and the special effects.
    Then the original films are pretty much worthless since 3/4 of the show is CGI and special effects

But seriously, people just need to enjoy it for what it is. Any side effects or mishaps are just going to be unfortunate reminders of the process these things go through

I was having a real problem with the audio mix when I was watching it to. I know it's not going to be perfect but it's pretty bad when you can't hear the dialogue because the laser blasts are louder than it.

However, I fiddled with my surround sound system and in the end it got a lot better. I think the effect was just magnified because of some of my settings. So that might be what happened to the guy on Amazon. It's still not perfect but I can hear the dialogue fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I was having a real problem with the audio mix when I was watching it to. I know it's not going to be perfect but it's pretty bad when you can't hear the dialogue because the laser blasts are louder than it.

However, I fiddled with my surround sound system and in the end it got a lot better. I think the effect was just magnified because of some of my settings. So that might be what happened to the guy on Amazon. It's still not perfect but I can hear the dialogue fine.
    That happened to me with Star Wars, I had surround on and it amplified something wrong in the mix. It was weird

Best thing people can do is try to let the manufacturer know, its an independent so they may be able to correct it in future pressings/shipments.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Then the original films are pretty much worthless since 3/4 of the show is CGI and special effects
    Exactly! Film, Tape, they're the same in my book (I obviously know the difference though).... I think of film when I think of tape... That's what I meant. But yeah, who needs the originals with nothing on them?? Guess they could go back if they really wanted to and do new FX!! Naaaaahhhhh.....

-Johnny C

I got my set in the mail today. I think the inside of the case makes it one of my least favorite cases ever. It took me quite awhile to get the top overlaping discs out. I also did not realize it until I touched the bottom of the disc once or twice that there are hollow spots on the flippy thing. I'm putting the discs in some blank cases. Hopefully, everything works ok.

I did notice this master or authoring error in an episode that somebody mentioned on facebook:

"Ran in to one small problem though: Does anybody else have a pixelization problem when Mentor is reading Tennyson to Pilot in the episode "The Intruder"?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I got my set too. I'm having a CP marathon tomorrow!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

One of the discs (disc one) I got out after a struggle had a pretty deep scratch on the center circle area of the bottom of the disc. That doesn't affect playability does it? Only the main outer area affects playability? So far, the five episodes on the disc I played seem to play fine.

One of the discs (disc one) I got out after a struggle had a pretty deep scratch on the center circle area of the bottom of the disc. That doesn't affect playability does it? Only the main outer area affects playability? So far, the five episodes on the disc I played seem to play fine.
    I mean.... play them. That's the only way to tell.

-Johnny C

Heroic Peace Officer Eternian Knight's Avatar
    I had my CP marathon yesterday and I didn't notice any problems.

Also I heard from a nerd podcast that interviewed Goddard that they will re issue another set with a longer documentary with interviews from "Tank" and "Scout"

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Knight View Post
    I had my CP marathon yesterday and I didn't notice any problems.

Also I heard from a nerd podcast that interviewed Goddard that they will re issue another set with a longer documentary with interviews from "Tank" and "Scout"
    Kind of lame that they just didn't put it on the set that is out.

On facebook, they posted this:

There will be a soundtrack album available first quarter of 2012.