Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Captain Power Returns!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I got this for a friend for Xmas and we just watched the first episode. I had a lot of great memories of Sauron, he was always my favorite, so it was cool to see him in action again. However, wow, the acting is down right dreadful. Haha, the acting is dreadful and they are trying to kill Lord Dread. Anyway, I will probaby watch the other 21 episodes though because I do want to see the entire thing.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I got done with watching the set tonight. The extras were great, especially the hour and a half documentary. I like how J. Michael Straczynski, Gary Goddard, and others didn't really hold any punches on their disagreements on things concerning the show. I agree with Goddard that Captain Power probably would have lasted longer if it had Tri Star produce it. They got too joined to the hip with Mattel. I think a reboot might work if they got it on a non-kiddie cable network and made the toyline aspect of it much more secondary in nature, so if any toys didn't take off, it wouldn't doom the show.

I wish the feature on the second season was longer in length particularly since I feel I got better information on the second season from other sources like wikipedia than I did from that 8 minute mini-documentary. I'm not sure if I would have liked that mother storyline.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    This is what Video Service Corp said on Facebook, "Basically the toys will work with the DVD if you watch it on an older tube TV (with an interlaced signal)."
    I just got my dvd of the series last week and tried using my XT-7 on it but so far it only very rarely acknowledges hits and misses from the show. I'm using my old TV that I've successfully played the training videos and a tape of the show on. I even tested it against the VHS I have the first two episodes on. The vehicles still works perfectly with the VHS, but almost not at all with the exact same scenes on dvd played through my original X-Box. Anyone else tried this?

I would love the return of Captain Power and Skeleton Warriors!

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I just got my dvd of the series last week and tried using my XT-7 on it but so far it only very rarely acknowledges hits and misses from the show. I'm using my old TV that I've successfully played the training videos and a tape of the show on. I even tested it against the VHS I have the first two episodes on. The vehicles still works perfectly with the VHS, but almost not at all with the exact same scenes on dvd played through my original X-Box. Anyone else tried this?
    Well hopefully someone can still answer my question on if they've succeeded on getting the old toys to fully work on the new set, but here's a couple easier quality control questions on the DVD....

1) Will disc 4 play on anything other than a computer? That's the only thing that it's worked on for me. My original X-Box will not recognize it as a DVD (I notice a shiney coating at the bottom is missing on an inner ring of the DVD). I returned it for another copy but it had the exact same issues. I know my X-Box can be quirky sometimes. Will it play on a DVD or Blue Ray player?

2) Someone posted that they solved the sound problems by adjusting the sound settings on their TV. I know nothing about doing stuff like that but would love to try (the drowned out dialog in the first couple episodes just made my heart break). Any advice?

Thanks to any who can help.

Oh and to anyone who's having issues with the DVDs freezing up on certain spots, return it for a new copy. The scratches or whatever is causing it isn't universal. I had issues with disc two (which seem common judging from the customer reviews) and my replacement copy had a disc two that worked perfectly. Amazon has easy, quick and convenient replacement policy if you get it (or got it) from there and have problems.

I got disc 4 to play fine on my blu-ray player. I haven't tried it on anything else. Given the amount of comments I've seen on this and Skeleton Warriors, there appears to be more compatability issues than a typical release would have. It is a smaller, lesser known company producing them.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I got disc 4 to play fine on my blu-ray player. I haven't tried it on anything else. Given the amount of comments I've seen on this and Skeleton Warriors, there appears to be more compatability issues than a typical release would have. It is a smaller, lesser known company producing them.
    Thank you! Knowing this, I moved up my plans to buy a blue ray player and was able to watch the special features on my TV this weekend.

To address my earlier question on the interactivity not working on my old TV (even though it works fine on the VHS of the same episodes), I noticed the flashing targets seemed different on the DVD than the VHS I have of the first couple episodes. They're duller maybe? I'm guessing that's why the old vehicles won't work no matter what I watch the DVD on. Adjusting my picture settings did nothing to help. I don't have anything else to compare it to, because the targets on the Captain Power vids on Youtube don't even flash on there! Maybe it's something to do with transfering it to a digital medium?

Despite some techinical issues the DVD definately gets four or five stars on content. Good stuff.

They've got a limited edition Captain Power soundtrack up for order at captainpowerreturns.net! I've already ordered mine. It is signed and the first 300 orders get a limited edition print of the Struzan art! So excited!

I was wondering when they were going to finally put that up. I pre-ordered as well.

It's official! Captain Power is coming back as a one hour drama called Phoenix Rising!

Goddard Film Group's producing team of Gary Goddard, Roger Lay Jr and Eric Carnagey are working with former Paramount Television Senior Executive Jeffrey Hayes, who was responsible for such television hits as STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION, FAMILY TIES, and CHEERS, to bring back Goddard's Sci-fi Cult classic CAPTAIN POWER AND THE SOLDIERS OF THE FUTURE in the form of a weekly one-hour drama series titled PHOENIX RISING.

They have enlisted writers/producers Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens to develop this next evolution of the series. Recent television credits for the Reeves-Stevens include creating the new science-fiction drama series PRIMEVAL: NEW WORLD, the North American spin-off of the UK hit PRIMEVAL. They also served as writers/producers on STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE for Paramount and RACE TO MARS for Discovery.

More details will be revealed soon...

COOL! AretheymakingtoysIwanttoysaretheretoysOHMANIWANTTO YS

*ahem* *COUGH* Anyway, I am very interested!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

COOL!!! **waits for the inevitable backlash re character designs and story description**

Love the name, I wonder if it's going to reboot the story (most likely)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I'm guessing so. I mean, I suppose they could move the story down the road a bit and not specifically mention the old series but allow it to exist. But, I think it's better to just do a clean relaunch. I do wonder how far they'll go with the designs and stuff. Actually, here's a video that gives a little more info:

MAN that is looking good! I love everything they are talking about and completely agree: this is the perfect time to revisit all those themes in Captain Power. Everything could be more realistic than ever, and that Soaron can be terrifying again (I know it scared the crap outta me when I was little). I of course am hoping for toys to go along with it, but the new show has me geeked as well!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Tim would be a great Stuart Power now. nice easter egg for the fans. I'm really excited about this!!
    Last edited by krosfyah; September 28, 2012 at 07:51pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Would have liked a proper sequel with new characters/actors and some of the old ones.
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquest View Post
    Would have liked a proper sequel with new characters/actors and some of the old ones.
    I think what they are doing is better. I didn't like the idea of superman returns being a 'sequel' to superman 2, I'd much rather after all this time a fresh start.

Fear is faith in failure

Movie mayhem!
    Can not wait!!

They filmed the original series up in Toronto, Canada. I really hope they film this series in Canada too. As a Canadian actor, I would love to be on the show; even as an extra

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I think what they are doing is better. I didn't like the idea of superman returns being a 'sequel' to superman 2, I'd much rather after all this time a fresh start.
    Still not sold here but... who knows.
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

I love this announcement! Can not wait to see a new show!
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Movie mayhem!
    New interview with lots about new Captain Power show. Its trucking along!!! Also he talks about the old MOTU live action movie and a possible new art book.

I can't get that friggin Adele song out of my head. But what would you expect? I have seen 'Skyfall' three times and, for the first time in Movie Moan history, you'll be able to see me doing it.

We are also delighted to be joined by producer, director, and special features magician Mr. Roger Lay Jnr. to finally talk in some detail about 'Phoenix Rising', the reboot of 'Captain Power And The Soldiers Of The Future', as well as preview all the amazing bonus material that will be included on the Season 2 Blu Ray release of 'Star Trek: The Next Generation'.

Spare a thought for Robert Meyer Burnett once you've seen him in the video by the way. His flight was grounded so he's stuck in the UK right now. There's a paypal link at the bottom to raise funds for him:

3 mins - Coming to you from the Odeon Leicester Square and the BFI IMAX, join Phil Gee and Robert Meyer Burnett as they experience Bond 23 in the middle of the biggest day in UK box office history and provide a spoiler free, but in-depth, review.

44:30 mins - Back with Jamie and Roger, I answer some follow up questions and we discuss the possibility of Bond 24 & 25 being made back to back as one epic story.

65:25 mins - Our in-depth interview with Roger talking about Trek, Phoenix Rising and I pester him once again on the status of 'Toy Masters'.

OH MAN WE'RE GETTING TOYS. I think I squealed a little. I also may be jumping up and down in my seat.

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    I loved the ship and the interactivity with the vhs tapes and the toys. Wonder if they'll be able to incorporate any of that into the new line?

Very cool looking forward to the reboot!

http://www.action-figures.ca/captain_power.htm
    Visit The Action Figure Archive Forums to discuss, buy, sell & trade action figure lines of the 70s, 80s & 90s. Remember to checkout the action figure guide and online store on the site as well!

Check out my trade feedback here