Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain Power Returns!

i wonder if the dvds will still "work" with the toys ??? i have unopened phantom striker id like to crack open and shoot... hahah!
    Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality.
    But...there is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real,
    but not as brightly lit... a darkside.

no problem for posting that clip guys, brought me back too!

I think the only way the toys won't work with the dvds is if they go in and remove the strobe effects that communicated with the sensors. I don't know if that's easy to do or if it's even necessary. I'd keep them in if I were behind it.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    no problem for posting that clip guys, brought me back too!

I think the only way the toys won't work with the dvds is if they go in and remove the strobe effects that communicated with the sensors. I don't know if that's easy to do or if it's even necessary. I'd keep them in if I were behind it.
    It would not be cost effective, the only way it happens is if there was a concern for those prone to seizure. But I don't ever remember the flashes in Captain Power being an issue

So I am 99.995% sure they will remain since they are hardcoated into the broadcast

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquest View Post
    Why not a BD release at this point? DVD suck.
    This show would look hideous on Blu-Ray, it would expose all the budget cutting measures taken

Unless you think this small studio is going to invest Disney type money and time in an online release. DVD taken from the broadcast masters will be better then the show has EVER looked
    Last edited by markatisu; April 20, 2011 at 01:38pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    A friend of mine explained that the toy interaction does not work with DVD and the new TV plasma and LCD screens. The lights on the TV show is really a signal code which the toys would pick up on. It was intended that the villians had a code and the heroes had a different code. A dvd doesn't transmit the light signal that well because it does go at different rates of speed. The LCD and plasma does as well.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

I'm a Val-Pal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermista View Post
    this pic on their facebook confirms an upcoming dvd release:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...type=1&theater

'Tracking down and cataloging all the original elements for Captain Power episodes in preparation for upcoming DVD release of the complete series.'
    Well I posted this here yesterday and Tv shows on DVD confirmed it today:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...lanned%2F15282
    She-Ra rocks. For the honor of Grayskull.

Follow me and Dollie on Twitter:

@babsbatgirlfan
    @dolliebaby77
    My Husky Dollie's: @dolliebaby1977
    My comic news feed: @comicbookpost

Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    A friend of mine explained that the toy interaction does not work with DVD and the new TV plasma and LCD screens. The lights on the TV show is really a signal code which the toys would pick up on. It was intended that the villians had a code and the heroes had a different code. A dvd doesn't transmit the light signal that well because it does go at different rates of speed. The LCD and plasma does as well.
    The HDTV aspect of it might pose a problem, DVD though has nothing to do with it.

DVD by itself is basically same as VHS except at a higher resolution (not higher frames per second). That should not change the effects of the light, but the display being used would.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Oh man, I am totally stoked Captain Power is going to be released on DVD! I was going to get the DVDs from www.captainpower.com but it looks like the official ones are on their way!

I would love to see this show come back on, especially if they can continue where the original show left off. I can see the ScyFy channel picking this series up too.

Man, lots of good ol' 80s properties are making their way to DVDs lately - MASK, Gobots, and the DiC GI Joes series are set to be released as well.
    MOTU Vintage Visual Figure Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

MOTUC from Vintage Visual Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

My Feedback Thread

Somebody asked about blu-ray on the facebook site, here was their response:
    The Special effects were produced on standard definition video. In order to release the show on blu all the CG shots would have to be redone and the original negative would have to be conformed for an HD telecine. It's the same problem keeping other 80s and 90s shows like Star Trek The Next Generation from being released on blu-ray.

Man this would be excellent!! I'd love it for them to relaunch Capt. Power and the Soldiers of the Future!

I want a Capt. Power suit man! Anyone know how to make a realistic looking one?
    At MATTYCOLLECTOR.com, 'ALL SALES ARE FINAL'...UNLESS it's in THEIR ADVANTAGE to not be...

Feedback Thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=185599

Find me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...00003950889698

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Yup they could just transfer it over but it would look awful. its one of the reasons Disney spent so much to redo Tron and Paramount spent so much redoing ST TOS for HD

If you are going to that expense might as well redo it, Captain Power though is not one of those $$$$ franchises

Heroic Warrior
    If this show comes back, it's totally going to rock.

I'm a HUGE Captain Power fan, about 2/3 of the way to a complete sealed toy collection. A new show would totally make my 2012.

On another note, while I don't have anything official to go on, I'd put money on Mattel having a new toy line in the works.

The question has been raised on the Matty forums for some time now and the constant reply is "no comment". The relaunch in 2012 would completely fit with this.

Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    they had the same 'code' it wasn't really a code though it was a simple strobe effect on certain light sources/fog effects. the issue would as markatisu pointed out, be mainly the lcd/led/plasma tv does the display show those light at a level the sensors can recognize. it's different than a light gun game like duck hunt on the NES as those are infrared signals that the hdtvs cannot project. again the main issue would be do the newer tvs show those lights 'bright' enough for the toys to 'see'

there were two versions a very quick strobe that looked NEARLY solid but you could see that it was a strobe (like on the dread troopers chests) those registered as 'targets' and signaled to your toy that you could score then there was the slower strobe, which had a more 'flash' like look, lasers fog and explosions, those register as hits and take points away.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    On another note, while I don't have anything official to go on, I'd put money on Mattel having a new toy line in the works.
    Mattel definitely has no toy line in the work.
    All rights to Captain Power returned to Gary Goddard, Mattel has nothing to do with this.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    The HDTV aspect of it might pose a problem, DVD though has nothing to do with it.

DVD by itself is basically same as VHS except at a higher resolution (not higher frames per second). That should not change the effects of the light, but the display being used would.
    I assume it's akin to the Light Gun from the original NES. You cannot play games like Duck Hunt with your original NES on the current TVs. You have to have an older "tube" television for it to work.

Overall, I'm pretty excited about this. Captain Power is a line I never had as a kid, but always wanted. I've toyed with the idea of pickign these up recently, and I think getting the show released on DVD is going to make me pull the trigger.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Mattel definitely has no toy line in the work.
    All rights to Captain Power returned to Gary Goddard, Mattel has nothing to do with this.
    Then why has Toyguru consistently given a "cone of silence" answer as opposed to an answer of "no plans at this time? Surely if you were right, there'd be no reason for him to not come out and give an answer of "no plans at this time".

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    Then why has Toyguru consistently given a "cone of silence" answer as opposed to an answer of "no plans at this time? Surely if you were right, there'd be no reason for him to not come out and give an answer of "no plans at this time".
    Toy Guru cna say or not say whatever he wants, but my info are first hand, from people working closely to Goddard.
    Mattel is not involved at this time.
    If how it was presented to me is correct, if Gary wants to go to Hasbro to do new Captain Power toys, he could.

Heroic Warrior
    Toy Guru cna say or not say whatever he wants, but my info are first hand, from people working closely to Goddard.
    If how it was presented to me is correct, if Gary wants to go to Hasbro to do new Captain Power toys, he could.
    If your source is close to Landmark and it is how it seems, then it's probably right. Maybe the reason why the "no comment" response is there then is because it's what they want. Who knows....

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I wonder will they have extras like commentary, the XT7 Interactive videos or 2nd season mentions of things such as the sea Bio-Dread?

I collected Captain Power back in 1987.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Emiliano, all my hopes that you will be drawing concepts of Captain Power toys for Hasbro soon!!!

So this is basically just all about a DVD release only then? No reboot or anything? I'll be getting the DVD release. I'm glad they are, but I'm a bit surprised they appear to be putting a lot into this release over a show that at best rivals the popularity of a mid-level 80s cartoon.

So this is basically just all about a DVD release only then? No reboot or anything? I'll be getting the DVD release. I'm glad they are, but I'm a bit surprised they appear to be putting a lot into this release over a show that at best rivals the popularity of a mid-level 80s cartoon.
    We don't know yet. Maybe the DVD release is just a first step. They certainly seem to be talking a lot about how exciting the possibility of doing something new would be.

Movie mayhem!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Emiliano, all my hopes that you will be drawing concepts of Captain Power toys for Hasbro soon!!!
    I second this!!! Man even if we just got a Cap Power comic I'd be SO excited! I loved it so much and think it could really facilitate some great stories!

A limited, commemorative toy line would be the best option!

True 100%. Well, they can always transfer the SD content on BD format just for the sake of it and get rid of some DVD compression. That's it. It wouldn't be HD at all but... better than nothing. Let's hope they will remaster the tapes in the best way possible.
    Last edited by Vanquest; May 13, 2011 at 07:20am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquest View Post
    A limited, commemorative toy line would be the best option!
    I would love this, particularly if it meant the Dread Trooper and Dread Commander figures could be included. But if Mattel doesn't have the rights, wouldn't they be unable/unwilling to do that?

From their facebook page:

We are working hard to get the 25th anniversary DVD box set out much sooner than expected. We'll have a release date to announce next week!!! The good Captain might be back before the end of the year!