Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fortress of power

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    wow, that's impressive! really, really impressive.

This is fantastic!
    Not stylistically what I'd be after, but regardless style witch is just an opinion, this is really REALLY well done! Top notch sculpting, there are a lot of ideas in there that I really like, like the stairway next to the dome, the break away walls and such. The scale is perfect. Very very cool Ben!

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. You going to do some kind of fiberglass cast of it or resin?
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    This is fantastic!
    Not stylistically what I'd be after, but regardless style witch is just an opinion, this is really REALLY well done! Top notch sculpting, there are a lot of ideas in there that I really like, like the stairway next to the dome, the break away walls and such. The scale is perfect. Very very cool Ben!

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. You going to do some kind of fiberglass cast of it or resin?
    thanks man! yeah the stairway up by the crown was a stretch, we werent sure if diehard masters fans would approve. but it means posing more guys actually ON the fortress instead of in front of it. and the idea with the breakaway walls was really something great, we wanted to keep some aspects of PLAY because there would be no INSIDE, i think we found a good balance!

it will be cast in plastic. we have an ez spray gun we will be spraying the mold with. its insane, the plastic cures in 2 seconds.
    -ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

Quote Originally Posted by bishart View Post
    thanks man! yeah the stairway up by the crown was a stretch, we werent sure if diehard masters fans would approve. but it means posing more guys actually ON the fortress instead of in front of it. and the idea with the breakaway walls was really something great, we wanted to keep some aspects of PLAY because there would be no INSIDE, i think we found a good balance!

it will be cast in plastic. we have an ez spray gun we will be spraying the mold with. its insane, the plastic cures in 2 seconds.
    Again, really excited to see casts! with all the final trimmings.
    Let me know if you need anyone to paint some up.

I really like that you've thought about figures and play on the outside of the castle. It was something we saw a touch of in Mark Taylor's original sculpt, that was sorely lacking in the final. The ledges and more built up foundation stones and such. So I LOVE that you're thinking about this stuff for your castle. Brilliant!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

THIS IS EPIC!!

amazingly done! The detail work is mindblowing!
    job very well done!

you did a wonderful job! congratulations!

this is EXTREMELY AWESOME.

I echo Baena in that it's not the style I'd look for (I'm very particular about my Grayskull's skull) but it still looks FANTASTIC! I also echo Baena in LOVING the stairs by the crown, an idea I might have to steal from you in my current WIP.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    this is EXTREMELY AWESOME.

I echo Baena in that it's not the style I'd look for (I'm very particular about my Grayskull's skull) but it still looks FANTASTIC! I also echo Baena in LOVING the stairs by the crown, an idea I might have to steal from you in my current WIP.
    thanks everyone!

feel free to borrow the crown stairs, would love to see what youre making.
    -ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    hey guys, this got moved here to the customs section.

THE FORTRESS OF POWER!

well what do you guys think of this ? its actually called THE FORTRESS OF POWER, but it bears a slight resemblance to the castle.

this is all before its cast so, not the final product.

the tower walls are magnetically removable. so you can pose guys inside,a and put the walls back on, having them look out the windows.
    and there will be a drawbridge with chains, turret gun, and flag.
    A Drawbridge or a Jawbridge? thats the one thing I truly missed in MYP! the Teeth
    Dear Mattel, Please remember you are one of the biggest toy companies on the planet, So hows about making toys people want and NOT Excuses.

THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    A Drawbridge or a Jawbridge? thats the one thing I truly missed in MYP! the Teeth
    oh there will be teeth. haha
    -ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

Keeper of secrets beyond the legends's Avatar
    OMG!!! I'm so crazy about this, and so anxious to see where things are with it in a month! This is the epitome to me for what I would ever dream of, even from Mattel.
    Look for my designs on Deviant art. I am under Octobersdream. Will do commissions of anything, original to recreating any older line. Also needing POP stuff and some MoTU things aswell.

Love playsets, and this one is the most amazing iīve ever seen.

Canīt wait to see it casted and painted.

Amazing!!! Just simply amazing!!!!!!

Absolutely perfect! This is pretty much what I've thought of when I imagined sculpting my own MOTUC Grayskull.

Holy you know what!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

This is all rather exciting. Aside from a few design choices, I think it,s great.
    I love the scale and for the sake of a display, i like the steps.
    I of course love the random scattering of weapons and bones, this things really make it more MOTU (my display has weapons on ground too).

As for things I do not like, not much aside from the shape of the eye sockets and i wonder why have you given the skull larger fangs on top of the larger fangs for the entrance? Makes no scence to me and I feel looks odd. I think it would look better without those extra teeth.

Dying to see this all finished, I love stuff like this!
    Must give this one a shout out on Roast Gooble Dinner.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

thanks everyone!

feel free to borrow the crown stairs, would love to see what youre making.
    Thank you sir!! I am horrible at taking WIP pics, but I should start. my two projects are separate but they really shouldn't be project one a 2 ft tall grayskull door. made out of wood. project two castle grayskull itself. for grayskull I'm only up to the tinfoil rough in frame of the skull, reason the projects are separate though is the door is really big and to build a castle around it I haven't the space, but my castle is going to be big too.

tonight I really should take the pics.

your castle lit a fire under me to keep going, whenever I see awesome work I get inspired to try my hand at my own vision. so thanks for posting this great piece, I need to post my stuff too, get some ideas from criticisms and maybe even inspire others too.

DOH! I just noticed the front stairs DON'T lead to the opening, it leads to a moat/chasm, the jawbridge will span that! **** just got real!
    Last edited by krosfyah; April 26, 2011 at 09:55am.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    This is all rather exciting. Aside from a few design choices, I think it,s great.
    I love the scale and for the sake of a display, i like the steps.
    I of course love the random scattering of weapons and bones, this things really make it more MOTU (my display has weapons on ground too).

As for things I do not like, not much aside from the shape of the eye sockets and i wonder why have you given the skull larger fangs on top of the larger fangs for the entrance? Makes no scence to me and I feel looks odd. I think it would look better without those extra teeth.

Dying to see this all finished, I love stuff like this!
    Must give this one a shout out on Roast Gooble Dinner.
    thanks man, im glad you like it! and im sure everyone has little things they would want, or wouldnt want on their personal fortress.

as for the teeth, the idea was first and foremost, what we thought looked awesome. and we ended up liking this alot. but also, the 2nd to largest set of teeth are meant to POP and be seen first first, kind of similar in size and look to the original castle, the larger set are more like the 200x style. this was our way of coming up with a design that incorporated our style, and all the other interpretations balled into one.

annnnnd whats the roast gooble diner?
    -ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

thanks man, im glad you like it! and im sure everyone has little things they would want, or wouldnt want on their personal fortress.

as for the teeth, the idea was first and foremost, what we thought looked awesome. and we ended up liking this alot. but also, the 2nd to largest set of teeth are meant to POP and be seen first first, kind of similar in size and look to the original castle, the larger set are more like the 200x style. this was our way of coming up with a design that incorporated our style, and all the other interpretations balled into one.
    I hear what you are saying but none of the incranations of Grayskull have teeth on top of teeth like that. The idea behind all Castle Grayskulls was the the skull has extra long canines that served as columns and frame the entrance. Right now you have canines on top of canines which makes no scence and just looks odd. My opinion only, everything else is great!

tannnnnd whats the roast gooble diner?
    Gasp!!! Why it's only the mighty He-Man.org podcast. Get with the cool kids man!!
    www.eamonart.com

I hear what you are saying but none of the incranations of Grayskull have teeth on top of teeth like that. The idea behind all Castle Grayskulls was the the skull has extra long canines that served as columns and frame the entrance. Right now you have canines on top of canines which makes no scence and just looks odd. My opinion only, everything else is great!

Gasp!!! Why it's only the mighty He-Man.org podcast. Get with the cool kids man!!
    canines on canines on canines, its just 2 sets of sharper teeth. they arent necessarily ontop of eachother,its just the next tooth. its not a human skull. its carved from rock. haha def. not meant to be accurate to any one incarnation. so im cool with it breaking the rules of human anatomy. lets just call them TUSKS!

where can i go to hear this cool kid podcast?
    -ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

Just go into iTunes and punch in 'Roast Gooble Dinner'. There's a truck load of em there!
    Or you can go to the links on the front page of He-Man.org and follow the links.
    www.eamonart.com

Just go into iTunes and punch in 'Roast Gooble Dinner'. There's a truck load of em there!
    Or you can go to the links on the front page of He-Man.org and follow the links.
    thanks man! ill check it out.
    -ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

canines on canines on canines, its just 2 sets of sharper teeth. they arent necessarily ontop of eachother,its just the next tooth. its not a human skull. its carved from rock. haha def. not meant to be accurate to any one incarnation. so im cool with it breaking the rules of human anatomy. lets just call them TUSKS!

Add some gold painted details to the castle and pose She-Ra in front of it and you'll really have Eamon's head spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    Add some gold painted details to the castle and pose She-Ra in front of it and you'll really have Eamon's head spinning.

is he a big POP fan?
    -ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

I agree with most others here that the this castle is fantastic! The attention to detail and the creativity you two are putting into really shine through with your wonderful sculpting skills. I agree a bit with Eamon and Beana that the teeth aren't quite what I'd prefer to see in a Castle Grayskull but the sculpting work clearly shows that this was a deliberate and skillfull design choice, not a stumble in your execution. They definitely come across as stone pillars to me and look great.

Can't wait to see the finished product populated with Classics figures.