Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Fortress of power

thanks so much everyone. we love reading the great comments! ive got more photos to put up. so look forward to that. and again i'm doing my best to respond to all messages!

I have got alot of questions about the BACK or INSIDE. there will not be one. the amount of sculpting would be equal to what you see on the front, and we just really didnt see the PLAY of that being practical. this thing is 3 and a half feet tall, 4 and a half with the flag on top spinning that to play on the inside while its covered in guys didnt really seem like something people would do. i wouldnt haha.
    SO what we did was try to put as much of that PLAY on the front side, with the cutaway wall sections, moat, and inside of the mouth. we also paid close attention to not make this a 4 foot backdrop, you can actually put guys all over it, on top of it, in it, and around it. i havent done the official test yet, but im willing to bet i can pose over 30 figures on this thing.
    this will be cast as somewhat of a shell though. so if the inside is important to you, it would be feasible to make your own!
    Last edited by bishart; October 26, 2011 at 08:26am.
    -ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

Well, what is it left that haven't been already said?
    Sorry to be redundant but your work is just mindblowing, guys.
    I just love everything single detail on the piece...
    Damn, I wish I was a 7" figure!

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by fengal View Post
    Please tell me that you are both working on another playset
    We're not there yet, but we are both dying to start the next one, and we already decided what it will be. The Fortress deserves all of our time and effort for the time being!

Ben

To which Ben should I send a bill for a new keyboard? Mine is filling with drooll aand doesnet wortks soo weel anymorrt.%.

Quote Originally Posted by BadVermin View Post
    To which Ben should I send a bill for a new keyboard? Mine is filling with drooll aand doesnet wortks soo weel anymorrt.%.
    thats on the other one. haha dont blame me for that
    -ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

Awhile back I offered to work up a flag but I never ended up getting around to much more than a few concepts. I had, however, started the conceptual process by re-doing the classic Grayskull flag. So, instead of just "hiding" on my hard drive for another "however-long-it's-been"...

I hope it's okay to post it in here and supply a link to download a hi-rez printable version.

Hi-rez printable version

Regardless, this Castle Grayskull is awesome! Excellent work Ben and Ben.

Last edited by Sllohcin; October 26, 2011 at 04:45pm.
    "A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

My DeviantART

Quote Originally Posted by Sllohcin View Post
    Awhile back I offered to work up a flag but I never ended up getting around to much more than a few concepts. I had, however, started the conceptual process by re-doing the classic Grayskull flag. So, instead of just "hiding" on my hard drive for another "however-long-it's-been"...

I hope it's okay to post it in here and supply a link to download a hi-rez printable version.

Hi-rez printable version

Regardless, this Castle Grayskull is awesome! Excellent work Ben and Ben.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/7453/motuflag.jpg
    great work man, very slick! im sure people will be printing these!

wanted to point out this thread has the most views out of all the custom threads! over 36,000! THANKS EVERYONE!
    Last edited by bishart; October 26, 2011 at 05:13pm.
    -ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by BadVermin View Post
    Drool is not billable. Every fanboy drools at their own risk! Haha.

IQ test results: negative sdilks's Avatar
    Freakin' amazing! Can't wait to see it in hand!!

Saying "great job" just seems to fall short. Fantastic fellas. Really, fantastic!
    "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has tried to contact us." -B.W.

Quote Originally Posted by sdilks View Post
    Freakin' amazing! Can't wait to see it in hand!!

Saying "great job" just seems to fall short. Fantastic fellas. Really, fantastic!
    thank you very much sir!

now how about some early morning photos showing you the fortress looks awesome with the drawbridge closed as well!

-ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

are we there yet?
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    are we there yet?
    fortress of patience.
    -ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

Quote Originally Posted by bishart View Post
    fortress of patience.
    yeah cause you know I am all about patience lol

bishart, when you mean shell, are you meaning the cutaway inside parts will not be available?
    Currently Looking for:
    MOC:
    Dragon Walker with tattoo he - man MIB.
    Parts I need:
    Zodak Calves, Feet and Loin Cloths.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by air23cnhit View Post
    bishart, when you mean shell, are you meaning the cutaway inside parts will not be available?
    What he means when he says "shell" is that there will be no interior detail on the other side of our castle facade. It will be much like the original '82 playset in that regard. If you remember, when you opened up the original, neither half of the "clamshell" had any unique sculpted detail on the inside, only the inverse of the exterior detail. The company had to use decals to create the illusion of interior detail. Ours is like that: a hollow "shell", with detail on the outside, and no unique sculpted detail on the inside. There is enough negative space in there so that one could kitbash their own inside and if they want, add floors and whatever.

And unlike the '82 playset, ours does not have a back side (which on the original connected to the front facade like a clamshell via a hinge), it does not have the interior floor sections which fold out, and it does not have any of the other stuff like the throne and whatnot.

In order to retain some of that play value and make an exciting playset out of what's essentially a facade, we worked three detailed "alcoves" into the sculpt, one in each tower and one behind the jawbridge. That way you get some interior space but the casting can be handled in the same manner as a simple one-sided sculpt. The alcove with Orko hiding inside will also have a stone wall section to cover it, but it wasn't ready for these photos (it's sitting on my desk as I type this!)

I hope this helps to explain it for you, I know, a picture is worth a thousand words, but we don't have any to speak of, we didn't think of taking any. maybe the next photo shoot.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by OutForJustice View Post
    What he means when he says "shell" is that there will be no interior detail on the other side of our castle facade. It will be much like the original '82 playset in that regard. If you remember, when you opened up the original, neither half of the "clamshell" had any unique sculpted detail on the inside, only the inverse of the exterior detail. The company had to use decals to create the illusion of interior detail. Ours is like that: a hollow "shell", with detail on the outside, and no unique sculpted detail on the inside. There is enough negative space in there so that one could kitbash their own inside and if they want, add floors and whatever.

And unlike the '82 playset, ours does not have a back side (which on the original connected to the front facade like a clamshell via a hinge), it does not have the interior floor sections which fold out, and it does not have any of the other stuff like the throne and whatnot.

In order to retain some of that play value and make an exciting playset out of what's essentially a facade, we worked three detailed "alcoves" into the sculpt, one in each tower and one behind the jawbridge. That way you get some interior space but the casting can be handled in the same manner as a simple one-sided sculpt. The alcove with Orko hiding inside will also have a stone wall section to cover it, but it wasn't ready for these photos (it's sitting on my desk as I type this!)

I hope this helps to explain it for you, I know, a picture is worth a thousand words, but we don't have any to speak of, we didn't think of taking any. maybe the next photo shoot.

Ben
    Wait, so there isn't a detailed inside with floors?

This whole thing just looks amazing! So much great skill put into it at every level.

Whatever material you guys settled on worked PERFECTLY!! It's beautiful. The details weren't lost!

I LOVE the added places for the swords, the orb, and the Cosmic Key!! Details like that are incredible.

Can we see the reverse side? I am thinking about this, but I want to see everything

I would definitely kit-bash an inside on the reverse side of the fortress. I so wish the thing were two-halves But this was difficult enough!!

and you know something else??

You both have proven how full of garbage Mattel is about being able to give us a Grayskull playset.

You guys are TWO MEN. Mattel is a huge company.

They are ridiculously silly if they can't get this kind of thing together and you guys can.

You already have. It's amazing.
    Last edited by bcrduke; October 30, 2011 at 02:11am.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Whatever material you guys settled on worked PERFECTLY!! It's beautiful. The details weren't lost!

I LOVE the added places for the swords, the orb, and the Cosmic Key!! Details like that are incredible.

Can we see the reverse side? I am thinking about this, but I want to see everything

I would definitely kit-bash an inside on the reverse side of the fortress. I so wish the thing were two-halves But this was difficult enough!!

and you know something else??

You both have proven how full of garbage Mattel is about being able to give us a Grayskull playset.

You guys are TWO MEN. Mattel is a huge company.

They are ridiculously silly if they can't get this kind of thing together and you guys can.

You already have. It's amazing.

thanks alot man. really appreciate it. its good to see people as excited as us! we will take a picture of the inside at some point, we will try for soon.

in the meantime here are some more shots from the other day!

-ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

Thanks

The backside is important to my, uhm, interest in, well, appreciating this set even more lol.

Is there a fixed place for the Sword of Protection in the armory room in the tower?

I wonder if anyone would be able to make stickers for the cannon. We could print them on sticker paper.
    Last edited by bcrduke; October 30, 2011 at 11:16pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Which sword is that? Only spots for the weapons you see shown unfortunately.
    -ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

Quote Originally Posted by bishart View Post
    Which sword is that? Only spots for the weapons you see shown unfortunately.
    She-Ra's sword is The Sword of Protection

He-Man's is The Sword of Power.

They both invoke the power if grayskull

This is just the most exciting thing to look forward too....stickers for the cannon might be cool...I wonder what other random accessories we could add..

Quote Originally Posted by Rdominiack View Post
    This is just the most exciting thing to look forward too....stickers for the cannon might be cool...I wonder what other random accessories we could add..
    That's why I am so keen on seeing the reverse side. I have a feeling there could be a lot of custom potential for more "rooms!"

Princess of the 80's Princess_Adora's Avatar
    Does the bottom opening have a piece to cover the opening like the top tower window does?
    "My whole life has changed because of this sword!" ~Adora

Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Adora View Post
    Does the bottom opening have a piece to cover the opening like the top tower window does?
    yes, ben said they are working on that piece