Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Fortress of power

Quote Originally Posted by bishart View Post
    as promised... some photos!

were trying out a few different casting methods. ( we have lots of ideas, and want to make sure the end product is the best it can be.) so this was just a test.

this is spray poly urethane plastic that we shot from that crazy gun you see on the ground. this was an insane ordeal. haha lots of fun actually. we looed, and felt like ghostbusters, blasting this mold. the sleeves of the shirt i was wearing turned solid.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2880645_n.jpg
    http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6166353_n.jpg
    http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7800568_n.jpg

this was three canisters of plastic, and it still wasnt at the thickness we needed, so it probably wont be the method we use. but a good learning experience anyway.

i also just realized, i think you can find a PBR beer can in almost every group of photos ive posted. haha were looking into getting help.
    you're really smart, you will use that material to make the positive?
    per il potere di grayskull! a me il potere!

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    No worries
    I am hoping for good karma.

As for casting the Castle, does this mean plan A or your first choice isn't going as expected? you are trying to use more casting material to get the right sturdiness or are you going to try a different product?
    I guess you need to stick with the hollow cast/ gun spraying approach right?

There are a lot of brush on variants, but the most I have seen are for rubber or stay flexible. Some of the harder ones dont take deials that well I heard.

I hope you wont get stuck in too much trail and error
    we had always planned on trying a few different things, and comparing, so this was just the first test really.
    there will be some money burning, but it will be worth it to have the best possible product in the end.
    -ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffrod View Post
    If nothing else, you could use the current product with a secondary spray in foam for a backer.It would make life Hades for an internal structure but create a stable castle.
    yeah, thats one of the things were thinking of trying, smooth on has a spray foam, will work with our gun, were thinking of seeing how much detail that pics up, and if none, coating the inside with it. but youre right, we dont want to completely ruin the chance for an interior.
    -ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

so the other ben, BEN A. started a thread over at joe customs, and did a really good job outlining some of the process so far, thought it was really cool. so take a look.

"Here are the shots of the molding process that I promised to show.

In this shot I am screwing plywood to the castle armature. Putting plywood on the back and bottom of the sculpt means that these areas will be open or accessible in the finished mold.

Here is the castle just before (I think) the first application of rubber.

The castle is now encased in a brushable urethane rubber. The rubber mold is about 1/4 inch thick. Each layer of the rubber has been dyed a different color to make sure the coats are even.

A close up.

With the rubber finished, we then begin the mother mold. Since the rubber is so thin, it requires a rigid shell to help keep its shape during casting, called a mother mold. We determined we would need a 5 piece shell for the mold to release from the cast properly, due to all the undercuts in our model. The point where each of the 5 pieces meet is called a parting line or shim line. This photo shows the beginning of the "shimming" process. Cardboard walls are used to divide the model into 5 sections. The marbles will become registration keys so that the mother mold will fit back together properly.

Here we have applied fiberglass mat and boat resin to the model, creating the first 3 sections of the mother mold.

This is the 4th and largest section of the mother mold.

With all 5 sections completed, we begin trimming the fiberglass shell.

Here I am removing the fiberglass shell from the model. It tends to cling pretty tightly to the rubber when removing it for the first time. It actually turned out to be quite an ordeal. If I were to do it over again, I might use a 7 or 8 piece mother mold.

This is me holding up the fiberglass shell, winded but triumphant!
    Last edited by bishart; May 30, 2011 at 12:51pm.
    -ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

continued.... from BEN A.

"

Pics of the finished mold. The urethane rubber picked up a lot of the clay from our sculpt, hence the residue on the inside of the mold. That all had to be cleaned out prior to casting. A silicone rubber mold would not have done that.

The first casting attempt.

A release agent was applied and the plastic was sprayed into the mold using the gun thats laying on the ground.

It turned out to be too flimsy a material to hold its shape. We are trying out another method as we speak, so no pics of the cast just yet. The next photos we post will hopefully be a fully outfitted, painted cast."
    -ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

i hope you get everything worked out. best of luck on this project. it looks awesome.
    you can see pics of all my projects on my facebook page. facebook.com/don.schomer or email me :athf15683@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis15425 View Post
    i hope you get everything worked out. best of luck on this project. it looks awesome.
    thanks, yeah, everything is going fine, we had always planned to try out several materials. because you always assume one thing will be perfect, but sometimes there is a better alternative out there. hoping to do some experimental casting today. stay tuned!
    -ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
    that is amazing!!!!!!!!!.................................. .................................................. ..................

Court Magician

Wow!

This is really cool... Thanks for sharing the processes with us!

Over ELEVENTHOUSAND views of this thread!??!!
    Now talk about popularity!
    Positivity, folks!
    Letīs all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    Over ELEVENTHOUSAND views of this thread!??!!
    Now talk about popularity!
    To be fair I've come to see this threads progress well over forty times and have added to the response count at least 2-4 times including this one

Times that by the others like me.... STILL no small feat very few threads ever get this much traffic.
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

This whole thing is amazing.
    check out my artwork at geooco.blogspot.com

Widget
    Soooo...enquiring minds want to know....are there any plans for floor peices that we can insert to make a throne room, dungeon etc in the works? Or maybe a throne and weapon trainer like the original greyskull? Sort of like an evil Ikea package that can be installed later. That thing so needs to have an interior
    Posing my figures doesn't mean I'm playing with them!

Quote Originally Posted by fengal View Post
    Soooo...enquiring minds want to know....are there any plans for floor peices that we can insert to make a throne room, dungeon etc in the works? Or maybe a throne and weapon trainer like the original greyskull? Sort of like an evil Ikea package that can be installed later. That thing so needs to have an interior
    no plans yet. depending on the material we end up going with we dont really know what the inside will look like. its definatly not sculpted at all. but it shouldnt be too hard to get some of your own quick floors in if you wanted.
    my fortress will be up against a wall, with guys all over it, haha there will be no moving this 3 ft monster.
    -ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    I want to see more please

I come back top look at this thread all the time because it is just STUNNING! The level of talent and ingenuity here is incredibly impressive and I just can't get enough of seeing it progress. I bet when that first successful cast comes out as one solid piece that it's going to be mind-blowing! Thanks a million for your time, effort, and forethought to DOCUMENT the whole process so we could see everything that's going into it.
    The former Glass Shrimp also known as See-Shell

The wait for final pictures is all worth it.

Evil customizing warrior Darththomas81's Avatar
    I too have visited this thread many times, thanks for letting us share in your epic journey and I await the journey's end with great anticipation!!
    DT81's Tinkering thread - http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...nkering-thread

Check out all my customs over at figure realm
    http://www.figurerealm.com/viewuserp...id=4835&page=2

Heroic Warrior princessofpower83's Avatar
    WOW this is awsome!

www.PRINCESSofPOWER.co.uk a She-Ra fansite

why not try to do it with the foam?
    per il potere di grayskull! a me il potere!

thanks everyone! im dying for it as well. haha

lots of work!

were busy busy on some of the other stuff at the moment, flag, gun, walls, bridge, but expect the next photo update to be mind blowing....

Quote Originally Posted by franconan View Post
    why not try to do it with the foam?
    we might!
    -ben bishop
    www.bishart.net

pics pics pics

one word to describe it: nerdgasmic. are there plans to make multiples with this mold you are making to sell to he-maniacs?

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    thats truley a work of art. great efforts im impressed to say the least. i love the accuracy of both realness and cannon likeness. great work.

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

That's unreal. Total art
    FILMATION