Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What other figures from other toylines would fit in the MOTUC line?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lynch View Post
    Not that the MOTU & DC lines could've shared bucks, BUT when Mattel did put out 12" versions of Superman, Batman, etc., they still cheaped out, went rotocast, and removed most of the articulation.

A straight comparison between Tytus and the Giant is certainly faulty, but the problem is that Mattel had the opportunity to make a large scale highly articulated figure of BATMAN and still went cheap and made him almost exactly as they made Tytus.
    I do agree with this, I just think one of the problems is that Hasbro, maybe willing to take lower margins on some items, or Mattel paid more for their DC rights than Hasbro did for Marvel. or a combo of both
    the ignore list is my new best friend

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    A few things to chew on:

The Frost Giant does indeed re-use the Marvel Icons Thor figure released a couple years back as a base; all of the 4 giant figures in this Walmart exclusive line re-used existing Icon bodies. You're not going to find a lot of new tooling on retail exclusives, although Hasbro will do some new parts, unlike Mattel.

The Frost Giant likely does have a higher production run than Tytus, but also possibly NOT by the huge margin alluded to in some posts above. Retailer exclusives are still limited runs, and, as with most lines these days, only some Walmarts carry Marvel Universe, which likely reduces the numbers even more. Only one of three Wallys in my area carry it.

The Frost Giant actually does go well with Mattel product in one way: Hasbro's Icons bodies usually have a very sticky hip joint that doesn't want to move easily.

Also, the information Mattel gave us about what could and couldn't be done with the 12" rotocast figures is highly suspect all around. Please recall that they said doing a ball joint with a rotocast figure was not possible. Problem is, back around 2004, two 12" rotocast figures were made with ball jointed shoulders in a line called Masters of the Universe, manufactured by a little known company called Mattel. Given that as a starting point, I don't exactly accept any of what followed at face value.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    A few things to chew on:

The Frost Giant does indeed re-use the Marvel Icons Thor figure released a couple years back as a base; all of the 4 giant figures in this Walmart exclusive line re-used existing Icon bodies. You're not going to find a lot of new tooling on retail exclusives, although Hasbro will do some new parts, unlike Mattel.

The Frost Giant likely does have a higher production run than Tytus, but also possibly NOT by the huge margin alluded to in some posts above. Retailer exclusives are still limited runs, and, as with most lines these days, only some Walmarts carry Marvel Universe, which likely reduces the numbers even more. Only one of three Wallys in my area carry it.

The Frost Giant actually does go well with Mattel product in one way: Hasbro's Icons bodies usually have a very sticky hip joint that doesn't want to move easily.

Also, the information Mattel gave us about what could and couldn't be done with the 12" rotocast figures is highly suspect all around. Please recall that they said doing a ball joint with a rotocast figure was not possible. Problem is, back around 2004, two 12" rotocast figures were made with ball jointed shoulders in a line called Masters of the Universe, manufactured by a little known company called Mattel. Given that as a starting point, I don't exactly accept any of what followed at face value.
    Scott, Mattel didn't say they couldn't do it, they just said it would've been really expensive to do. Those rotocast figures you speak of also had a likely much higher distribution run than Tytus and Megator, not to mention production costs were still much lower than as opposed to now.

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post

Getting figures doesn't necessarily mean that Mattel is investing much in this line. Hell, the brand manager Toyguru mainly works during week-ends for this line! That goes to show you how unimportant MOTUC is for Mattel... It is SO unimportant that Mattel didn't even send a quality supervisor in China, despite the repeated QC issues !

No...Toyguru is no longer the brand manager; he just said he won't let it go, so he puts extra time into it in his "free" time.
    Last edited by KingRandor82; April 28, 2011 at 11:38am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Heroic Warrior
    No...Toyguru is no longer the brand manager;

Sorry, but that's not the official version I read on this very forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Exactly ! Mattel is selling MOTUC online EXCLUSIVELY (not counting the DCUC vs, MOTUC), which allows them to save loads of money. Still, prices for a giant, "limited run" MOTUC figure, are almost the double compared to a "limited run" Marvel Universe (frost giant is an exclusive for ONE store, and sold only in the USA). And with less articulations than the frost giant.

Getting figures doesn't necessarily mean that Mattel is investing much in this line. Hell, the brand manager Toyguru mainly works during week-ends for this line! That goes to show you how unimportant MOTUC is for Mattel... It is SO unimportant that Mattel didn't even send a quality supervisor in China, despite the repeated QC issues !

The same argument you used can also hold true for Hasbro or Bandai : they also produce many figures. Even more figures than Mattel.

It seems to me that many Hasbro figures, which have better articulation and are less expensive than MOTUC, are ALSO produced in China...
    I guess I can see more on where you are coming from on this, you make some good points.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Heroic Podcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by highwayman75 View Post
    Tempted to pick this one up. I don't collect Marvel Legends but I am interested in adding the Frost Giant to my MOTU collection. Maybe I'll sell the Loki figure it comes with.
    Yes, to me. I collect Marvel U 3 3/4 but not the giants. It's a win/win!
    QUEEN ANGELLA! Blast Attak Buzzsaw Hordak Dragstor ELDOR! Flying Fists He-Man GWILDOR!
    Lazer Light He-Man Lazer Light Skeletor MERMISTA! MULTI-BOT! NINJOR! Peekablue Perfuma Rotar
    Saurod SPINNERELLA! Sssqueeze SWEET BEE! Terror Claws Skeletor TUNG LASHOR! Twistoid

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    Yes, to me. I collect Marvel U 3 3/4 but not the giants. It's a win/win!
    The Marvel U line is one of the best lines you can find in stores. They continually get better and better with new articulation and new characters. I can't wait for the Hulk in the Avengers pack, it looks incredible. I love this Frost Giant. I broke out Battle Cat and the 2 pack He-Man when I bought him earlier this month. He works so well with the Masters that I ran back to Walmart the next day and grabbed a second one. Good job, Hasbro. I love when lines can cross.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    Scott, Mattel didn't say they couldn't do it, they just said it would've been really expensive to do. Those rotocast figures you speak of also had a likely much higher distribution run than Tytus and Megator, not to mention production costs were still much lower than as opposed to now.
    Actually, they did say it couldn't be done. The cost issue came up as to why the figures couldn't be made exactly like the smaller ones and had to be rotocast. But as to ball jointed shoulders, Mattel came right out and said, point blank, that it wasn't possible to do a ball joint using rotocast production. In reality, it was likely due to cost that ball joints were skipped, but Mattel said:

"To add ball joints we would need to make Tytus completely the same way we do a 6" figure and this would drive his price to over $100.00. We used roto casting to keep the price down but when you use Roto Casting it prevents ball joints from being used."

Direct quote from TG himself.
    Last edited by scott metzger; April 28, 2011 at 04:07pm.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Horses in MOTUC

To start off this thread, I'd like someone to please tell me what specific toys of horses some people have been using to display their MOTUC figures with. I seem to recall thefwoosh.com and several others showing off some really great shots of Catra, Adora and others on top of some nice brown and black horses. If someone finds any of these pictures please post them. I'm sure several MOTU fans would like to enjoy the same figures.
    I'm also interested to know how they compare in scale with the Swiftwind figure Mattel is releasing.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I remember some of the horses were from the Lord of the Rings toyline. I've been tempted to hit Ebay after seeing those pics, but I have a gut feeling we'll be getting Teela's unicorn eventually. We know Swiftwind is coming.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    I remember some of the horses were from the Lord of the Rings toyline. I've been tempted to hit Ebay after seeing those pics, but I have a gut feeling we'll be getting Teela's unicorn eventually. We know Swiftwind is coming.
    You're right! They are the LOTR horses.

I've see Arwyn's horse used lots.

I'm hoping to see lots of other horses after Swifty/Spirit, like Arrow, Storm, And the crystal horses.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

I'm really psyched to see how the horses are going to be produced, the dimensions, articulation etc...

I would like at least one of the crystal horses to be released
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Heroic Warrior
    Horses scare me...

I used to have the 'legend of the lone ranger' Silver horse... it was essentially 'barbie' size... it was awesome, and it had TONS of articulation...

which before too long got VERY loose

That was when toys were made WELL... I'm scared fo what we'll get now >.<

None, because there is nothing like MOTUC!
    Good Journey

Heroic Warrior

Have Any Of You Mixed These Figs Into Your MOTUC?

I was thinking about getting these figs from the Four Horsemen website. Not familiar with the line, it's called 7th Kingdom or something, but I thought they could mix well.

Was thinking about putting the Red Headed Queen with my Vikor on my PreEternia shelf, the evil looking lady with Skeletor, and maybe the other guy with Hordak or even with my Keldor, 200X Evil Lyn and my Faceless One.

What are your opinions of these figs?
    Attached Images Attached Images

They're way cool figures, but they're too detailed to work with MOTUC for me.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

I only mix my Justin Bieber figures in with my MOTUC.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

The 4HM figures are awesome i love them with the MOTUC figures.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Quote Originally Posted by DCComicsguy View Post
    I was thinking about getting these figs from the Four Horsemen website. Not familiar with the line, it's called 7th Kingdom or something, but I thought they could mix well.

Was thinking about putting the Red Headed Queen with my Vikor on my PreEternia shelf, the evil looking lady with Skeletor, and maybe the other guy with Hordak or even with my Keldor, 200X Evil Lyn and my Faceless One.

What are your opinions of these figs?
    I had no idea the 4H had their own series of figures to sale. I'd have to try them out soon. Thanks for the find.

I'm all in for Blackstar. They'd look great in the MOTU Universe. Especially this custom figure of John Blackstar from he-man.org member FakeEyes22

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    All of these are good ideas even though it would never happen. It is called Masters of the UNIVERSE, not Masters of Eternia. I always liked the idea that Blackstar and Marlena were associates at NASA.
    Me too and in my story it was like they were both on the same starship and their ways splitted. Marlena crashed on Eternia and Blackstar on Sagar.

And that Blackstar custom is marvelous. He does look a bit angry....

Take the doll of your choice....

...add steroids...

...and furry underwear...

=MOTU!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by bigassbuzz View Post
    Maybe even just an updated "Matty's Toy Box" set of items showing tribute to the good stuff of the past.

I loved Captain Power... it was a WAY cooler version of what NA should have been... a lot of the concepts were recycled for NA. There is a character in Captain Power who IS Flipshot.

A tribute set of Captain Power, Max Steel, Wheeled Warriors, etc. would be SO cool.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.