Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 458

Thread: The Official Netossa Thread

  1. #251
    Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,892
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Let me just be UTTERLY clear, here. This was never. Ever. EVER. stated in the actual podcast. Which is why I'm confused where Dark Sorceress is getting that from. What Eric of the 4H said was that because of all the new tooling on Netossa (including her cape, which apparently was complex for some reason) the headdress was dropped. So it had nothing to do with giving Jitsu his swords according to Eric. It was all about the cost of Netossa herself. That's what was said on RGD 98.

    I'm in the group that is totally bummed about Netossa not having her headdress/mask thingy but I'm hopeful after the podcast that the message was received loud and clear and we'll get it somehow.
    I feel that we can get the accessories if we ask for it. matty has delivered before on the demands of the customer.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

  2. #252
    Heroic Warrior Balthus Dire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,177
    I find it totally bizarre that the cape was apparently such an expensive tool. Is it fully posable or something?

  3. #253
    Toy Guru for President! He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    4,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
    Actually, he DID say it was an expensive tool. He THEN went on to say that a cloth cape on their product they researched it for ended up being double.

    He specifically referenced her cape as an expensive part of the figure.

    - - - Updated - - -

    "she turned out to be a pretty heavy duty figure on the budget...she ended up with quite a bit of new tooling, and that cape in particular was a big part of that"

    The cloth cape was an entirely different conversation.
    ask and recieve....THANK YOU. I didn't think I was going crazy and I was listening very closely!

  4. #254
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    429
    No, but all those little holes make for a pretty intricate mold.

  5. #255
    +2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    661
    Regardless of how much the cape cost, I think the argument is being made on the basis that there is a tooling budget for the whole year. Therefore, if there are ANY unnecessary accessories being made for ANY other figure (as some feel Ram Man's second head and Jitsu's extra weapons are), people feel that Netossa kind got the shaft by not getting a fairly essential accessory for her.

    Now honestly, I'm not positive about the yearly tooling budget. However, that has been my understanding of how it works. I haven't listened to all of this episode, but I think I heard all of the Netossa discussion and I don't recall hearing anything that specifically contradicted that.

  6. #256
    Toy Guru for President! He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    4,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    Regardless of how much the cape cost, I think the argument is being made on the basis that there is a tooling budget for the whole year. Therefore, if there are ANY unnecessary accessories being made for ANY other figure (as some feel Ram Man's second head and Jitsu's extra weapons are), people feel that Netossa kind got the shaft by not getting a fairly essential accessory for her.

    Now honestly, I'm not positive about the yearly tooling budget. However, that has been my understanding of how it works. I haven't listened to all of this episode, but I think I heard all of the Netossa discussion and I don't recall hearing anything that specifically contradicted that.
    I don't think they ever discussed how the budget works. Would be interesting though. Would explain why some get alot and some not enough.

  7. #257
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    429
    The way I speculate it works, and this is purely speculation, is that every figure has a base budget of X dollars. Some figures will be slightly over that, some will be slightly under. As long as those figures offset each other on the positive side, it works out.

    If you have one figure that costs significantly more, say 2X dollars, you need to offset one of those X across the rest of the figures. So each other figure has to be X - x dollars, where 11x = X. (This would be a Ram Man. Scott has said that a 100% tool needs an entire year of product to offset the costs for a figure like that)

    So while yes, there is a yearly budget that the run of figures has to come in under, each figure does have it's own budget.

    What I speculate happened was that Netossa hit over her X budget, but there wasn't anywhere in the year they felt they could offset ENOUGH of an extra cost to include everything. From the sounds of it she may still be an "over budget" figure, but they couldn't go any further over.

    Just my thoughts.

  8. #258
    +2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I don't think they ever discussed how the budget works. Would be interesting though. Would explain why some get alot and some not enough.
    Yeah, I don't think they did in these recent ones. I think some of us seem to be remembering it from old discussions. Which of course, is why I'm not entirely confident about it.

    And Hoffman, I think you're pretty much right. I just think people have already seen tooling budget that they've deemed not as necessary as Netossa's headdress. Of course, that's purely subjective.
    Last edited by Sword2Blanket; August 21, 2012 at 12:12am.

  9. #259
    Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,954
    Honestly, I would have preferred her mask to whatever they're doing to her cape that's making it so expensive. It's not going to work properly as a net (too small) and it's probably going to rip in half when we open the package (like happened with Leech's net).

    Sorry to sound so negative about it, but I only foresee bad things regarding her cape.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

  10. #260
    Heroic Warrior Dark Sorceress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    apache junction az
    Posts
    2,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
    Actually, he DID say it was an expensive tool. He THEN went on to say that a cloth cape on their product they researched it for ended up being double.

    He specifically referenced her cape as an expensive part of the figure.

    - - - Updated - - -

    "she turned out to be a pretty heavy duty figure on the budget...she ended up with quite a bit of new tooling, and that cape in particular was a big part of that"

    The cloth cape was an entirely different conversation.
    they never say it cost more then any other cape, the fact the it will use less plastic then other capes means it would have to be less expensive. as for the mold, i can't see the holes making it cost more then any other mold, it did not stop them from doing Leeches net.

    the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

    For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

  11. #261
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    THat is the problem, and a notion that everyone, including Mattel, needs to get out of their heads. The females in this line have done as well, many better, than some of the males. This is NOT a boys line; the market for it hopefully left their fear of cooties behind long ago. This is a line for the collector's market, where DCD can release an entire wave consisting of female figures. Entrenched Toy Industry Dogma has no place here; it is a completely different market than the action figure aisle at TRU is aiming at. A Cobra Trooper might outsell the Baroness on Target's shelves, but offer 6" highly articulated versions on a collector's site like Matty, and you're going to tell me Baroness isn't going to leave the trooper in the dust?
    I agree with everything you said except your final analogy. A 6" Cobra Trooper would definitely out-sell a 6" Baroness at least 10 to 1. Depending on the price, 20+ to 1 over here.

  12. #262
    Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wyoming.
    Posts
    1,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Honestly, I would have preferred her mask to whatever they're doing to her cape that's making it so expensive. It's not going to work properly as a net (too small) and it's probably going to rip in half when we open the package (like happened with Leech's net).

    Sorry to sound so negative about it, but I only foresee bad things regarding her cape.
    Thats my main concern as well. Leech's net didn't last two weeks for me before it started to disintegrate... That said, Scott did say he thought it was a different material than leech's net, so I will stay hesitantly hopeful.
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

    Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

  13. #263
    Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    LOS ANGELES
    Posts
    1,583
    It's not a secret that to afford let's say a 'Hordak' (with plenty new parts) another figure from that year's budget is gonna be stripped off something (Stratos for instance!) It's a balance. It's rather unfair but I guess that's how we get cool characters with so many new bits in them. Another character will pay the price! Netossa is getting the short end of the stick. She never was my favorite character anyway so it's not like I'm going to cry. But they'd better not go cheap on Mermista!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

  14. #264
    Heroic Warrior Dark Sorceress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    apache junction az
    Posts
    2,847
    Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    It's not a secret that to afford let's say a 'Hordak' (with plenty new parts) another figure from that year's budget is gonna be stripped off something (Stratos for instance!) It's a balance. It's rather unfair but I guess that's how we get cool characters with so many new bits in them. Another character will pay the price! Netossa is getting the short end of the stick. She never was my favorite character anyway so it's not like I'm going to cry. But they'd better not go cheap on Mermista!
    Mermista will be repaint of the 2.0 body, no fish body and no accessories because her hair used up all the tooling $

    the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

    For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

  15. #265
    Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,892
    I worry her cape will brake apart like the horde net did.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

  16. #266
    Heroic Warrior Dark Sorceress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    apache junction az
    Posts
    2,847
    Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    I worry her cape will brake apart like the horde net did.
    we all are.

    the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

    For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

  17. #267
    Ray of Sunshine Lookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Farmington Hills, MI
    Posts
    2,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sorceress View Post
    we all are.
    They are using a different material for the net cape. Wait for Pixel Dan's review and remember, you do not have to buy it if you don't like it. Unless of course, you bought the sub.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

  18. #268
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,861
    I worry her cape will brake apart like the horde net did.
    I asked a question about this in the "what the fans want to know" thread.

  19. #269
    Quester JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    13,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    Regardless of how much the cape cost, I think the argument is being made on the basis that there is a tooling budget for the whole year. Therefore, if there are ANY unnecessary accessories being made for ANY other figure (as some feel Ram Man's second head and Jitsu's extra weapons are), people feel that Netossa kind got the shaft by not getting a fairly essential accessory for her.

    Now honestly, I'm not positive about the yearly tooling budget. However, that has been my understanding of how it works. I haven't listened to all of this episode, but I think I heard all of the Netossa discussion and I don't recall hearing anything that specifically contradicted that.
    That could be, the point I was making is that at no point during the actual podcast did they say anything about Netossa losing her accessories because of Jitsu. As I think Hoffman and others have stated restated clearly enough. This is a fan-made invention based on the fact that TG said previously that the line is budgeted as a whole. I'm not saying the point isn't valid, just that they didn't say anything about that in the podcast. In fact, Eric seemed to directly contradict that by saying Netossa lost her mask because other parts of here were more expensive like the cape.

    I share people's confusion how her cape could have caused this, though, as past figures have had capes without an issue. Though the net design could have some impact. I don't know enough about all that to really know. I suspect in reality it IS a case of a little of column A and a little of column B. I'm sure Netossa was expensive and then in the context of the greater budget she lost her mask because of the tooling cost she took up.

  20. #270
    Searchin' My Soul DisneyBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    3,202
    This might be a different topic entirely...but does anyone else feel like the Mattel is sabotaging the She-Ra/POP side of this line, by releasing so many obscure, "girly" characters ahead of other, more popular, well-rounded ones?

    To be clear, the "girly" thing isn't really the issue. I just mean that Netossa and the Star Sisters were conceived - at least in my mind - as purely "pretty" figures to add to the toyline, and since they received almost no characterization in the show, they stick out more than say Glimmer or Casta (who had identities beyond their simple appearance).

    I can't see Netossa selling well...we're all still talking about how many people were annoyed with the Star Sisters (who don't do well on the secondary market at all)...and it just leaves me feeling like there's something under the surface here that rubs me the wrong way.

    Yes, Bow is well-liked and Shadow Weaver was highly sought-after...but then there's Netossa...

    My gut is telling me, "Sea Hawk, Octavia or Glimmer would sell better." So, what logical business reason would Mattel have for putting them aside in favor of these gals?? And sorry, I know this will sound jaded, but I don't believe they're making Star Sisters and Netossa first because they love the vintage POP fans so very, very much.

    They have this awesome brand, and they're not doing much to make it shine. Frosta's - a popular gal - has had one of the most "meh" sculpts of the line. The Horde members are all MOTU-styled (except Weaver), and they keep telling us we complain too much and should be happy with the vast selection we're getting...

    ...but this was there opportunity to put She-Ra as a brand on the same playing field as He-Man. To say, clearly to their customers "These two characters are on-par, and have a fantastic cast of supporting players!" Instead, She-Ra is treated as merely an off-shoot of He-Man, and who cares if the A list characters all get made? Let's just pick and choose whatever.

    I know they're applying some logic to their choices (see Adora, Weaver, Bow) but the other half of the time...
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; August 21, 2012 at 09:38am.

  21. #271
    Quester JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    13,852
    No, I totally disagree. For one thing, they released Adora, She-Ra, Bow and Catra first. These are all major characters and not "girly" in my mind in the way you've framed it. Neither is Shadow Weaver or Frosta. if anything, it was TIME to get to those characters like the Star Sisters (though some might debate if the Star Sisters were the best ones to get to first.) I certainly wouldn't consider Netossa "girly" in the way you've framed it either. No more or less than Frosta. I think she looks quite majestic and fierce in many ways. If it was Perfuma or Sweet Bee or someone I might see where you're coming from a little bit, though I'd still disagree. And I want them too!

    Also, I find the notion that Mattel would want to "sabotage" their own line in any way kind of silly. Sorry, it just doesn't make sense. They don't produce these figures not to sell. I just don't understand that kind of thinking at all.

  22. #272
    Rebel Jubilation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,424
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    They have this awesome brand, and they're not doing much to make it shine. Frosta's - a popular gal - has had one of the most "meh" sculpts of the line.
    Frosta's had one of the most "meh" sculpts of the line?. What's "meh" about the Frosta sculpt, she looks just like her Filmation version and has vintage toy highlights. What more could you want?

  23. #273
    Heroic Warrior Nekk-ra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    968
    As far as Netossa's cape goes, I don't think it's the tooling that costed her out. I think the material they need to use for the cape is where the cost originates. Better materials = higher cost.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

  24. #274
    Heroic Warrior Wonder Princess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    558
    So far, she is the only figure shown for next year that I really want. I am hoping that her headdress shows up in a weapons pack or tossed in with Spinnerella sometime soon. She is a one of the most beautiful figures in the line so far but those wings on her head just look odd.
    Meow,
    Princess Selina Desire

  25. #275
    Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,954
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    This might be a different topic entirely...but does anyone else feel like the Mattel is sabotaging the She-Ra/POP side of this line, by releasing so many obscure, "girly" characters ahead of other, more popular, well-rounded ones?

    To be clear, the "girly" thing isn't really the issue. I just mean that Netossa and the Star Sisters were conceived - at least in my mind - as purely "pretty" figures to add to the toyline, and since they received almost no characterization in the show, they stick out more than say Glimmer or Casta (who had identities beyond their simple appearance).

    I can't see Netossa selling well...we're all still talking about how many people were annoyed with the Star Sisters (who don't do well on the secondary market at all)...and it just leaves me feeling like there's something under the surface here that rubs me the wrong way.
    I disagree. I mean, yes, we should have a few more of the main PoP figures like Glimmer, Kowl and Queen Angella, but it shouldn't be taken out on the other PoP characters. Netossa is a great character and the ONLY black, female figure. I think she will sell fine and her face is absolutely gorgeous.

    To be honest, I'm more excited for the wave 2 and 3 figures to be released in MOTUC like Peekablue, Mermista and Spinnerella. They're all just more visually interesting to me and have always been favourites of mine.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •